Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

hampig posted:

I seem to be the only person who likes the Profaned Greatsword but I have no idea why. It has very respectable AR, the R2 thrust is loving brutal with Leo ring, and the weapon art is strictly better than the Zweihander because it's ON FIRE. I guess UGSs in general are not top tier at the moment, but it's far from useless.

Ring of Favor +0 is more like ~6 levels worth of stats at the kinda of values you'd normally have compared to the Chain's 15. The +2 is more or less the same without drawback sure, but of course by then you're in NG++.

Ring of Favor does not have any drawbacks, however, whereas with the chain you pretty much need the ring of steel protection equipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Genocyber posted:

Ring of Favor does not have any drawbacks, however, whereas with the chain you pretty much need the ring of steel protection equipped.

I edited at the same you posted, but I think this depends more on whether you're talking PvP or PvE. You can easily get away without it in PvE.

As an aside, I do like the design of the Prisoner's Chain and the Carthus Blood Ring. They might as well be called the Tank Clutch Ring and the Dark Wood Grain Roll Clutch Ring.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

According to testing, the ring of steel protection doesn't actually do anything in PvP. Instead of giving 10% damage absorption it gets lowered to something closer to 2% against other players.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Vermain posted:

Prisoner's Chain honestly doesn't look great to me. You can get more-or-less the same effect with Ring of Favor. It's good on low level twinks, but you're better served with other rings.

You can wear both though

e:

Genocyber posted:

700 AR attack with 150 defense and 25 percent absorption = 413 damage taken. With 15 absorption 468. That doesn't matter. It's a 10% penalty in a game where you take 3-6 hits. Probably the numbers are wonkier than that because they always are but still it's not that much of a difference and it's partially made up by the vit anyway.

Tokyo Sex Whale fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 18, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Vermain posted:

It can be reinforced as a Titanite Scale weapon. The AR isn't awful for a quality build (516 AR at 40/40), although you could probably do better with something else.

"Not awful" is a bit much, It's very close to the highest damage greatsword and is the most damaging greatsword with a standing thrust attack, though it is true that the claymore is close behind with an almost identical moveset and buffable so it's not that big of a real.

Related, why do the GS have such loving bad running attacks. I feel like the UGS are faster.

Internet Kraken posted:

According to testing, the ring of steel protection doesn't actually do anything in PvP. Instead of giving 10% damage absorption it gets lowered to something closer to 2% against other players.

Luckily I was expecting this as it did the same in DS2 IIRC.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Digirat posted:

Salt and sanctuary is good

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Let's say that with the matchmaking data out, you'd really like to make a new character to keep at a certain level for a while, so that you can bluebro a bunch for rewards, and help out at the first few bosses for hosts that hopefully have the right covenant equipped.

What level would you stick that character at for the best possible bluebroing? Weapon level +2/10 naturally

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I found being around level 25-30 with +2 weapons gave me the highest summons to both the watchdogs and blue sentinels.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Desperate Character posted:

I found being around level 25-30 with +2 weapons gave me the highest summons to both the watchdogs and blue sentinels.

I agree with this. Maybe 35 with +3 is okay for blues though too, I got a lot there.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

Let's say that with the matchmaking data out, you'd really like to make a new character to keep at a certain level for a while, so that you can bluebro a bunch for rewards, and help out at the first few bosses for hosts that hopefully have the right covenant equipped.

What level would you stick that character at for the best possible bluebroing? Weapon level +2/10 naturally

I stalled at L32 or so between Cathedral of the Deep & the Abyss Watchers and it got me an insane amount of summons for both watchdogs and sentinels across those areas.

20% or so were [getting summoned][target destroyed] instantly. Annoyed at the lack of a reward, but hey it's free health right?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Desperate Character posted:

Yeah I've noticed that bracket is starting to fill up with NG+ twinks as well, presumably because it's active. Twinks find a way, I guess.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I spent an hour farming Evangelists for a Spiked Mace. I finally got one and quit farming. I've killed the 6-7 remaining Evangelists in Undead Settlement. I now have 3 Spiked Maces.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

I am shocked they did this, this rules.

Invaders only get -10% towards their level minimum (no -10 levels), weapon reinforcement matchmaking is only +/- 2 until +5 or above, covenant invaders are -20, -20% min and +10% max, which I didn't expect but is great to know.
And apparently, if you use a matchmaking password reinforcement and SL are just straight up completely ignored.

also mound makers get a +5% max for invasions lol

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i have successfully invaded like 5 times after the last patch

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Can you turn the ballista back on? I forgot to let it break the stuff in the smoldering lake

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lemonpieman posted:

I am shocked they did this, this rules.

Invaders only get -10% towards their level minimum (no -10 levels), weapon reinforcement matchmaking is only +/- 2 until +5 or above, covenant invaders are -20, -20% min and +10% max, which I didn't expect but is great to know.
And apparently, if you use a matchmaking password reinforcement and SL are just straight up completely ignored.

also mound makers get a +5% max for invasions lol

Its hilarious how stacked against reds the invasions in this game are.

GulagDolls posted:

i have successfully invaded like 5 times after the last patch

I haven't had any trouble invading.

Mental Midget posted:

Can you turn the ballista back on? I forgot to let it break the stuff in the smoldering lake

Yes but there's nothing there worth getting.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

quote:

Yes but there's nothing there worth getting.

I was reading one of the rings is behind a destructible wall? I'm trying to collect all the rings in NG

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mental Midget posted:

I was reading one of the rings is behind a destructible wall? I'm trying to collect all the rings in NG

Yup. Forget which ring (I think it might be Speckled Stoneplate?).

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Vermain posted:

Even though Sorcery eventually does start doing excellent damage by NG+, the game is more-or-less over (and there's nothing new to see in NG+), and there's not so much "Sorcery builds" as "one Sorcery build." Doing anything other than wearing all three Magic damage rings + the Sage's Ring, the Oolacile Kid's Crown, and offhanding the Scholar's Candlestick is strictly suboptimal. About the only choice you have is whether you want higher burst with Sage's or more consistent damage with Court Sorcerer's. It's just dull how there's no room for creativity with Sorcery builds, and it's something that simply hasn't improved since the original days of DS1 (and, with the Candlestick's addition, has arguably gotten worse).

Make sorcery great again!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

SciFiDownBeat posted:

the weird thing about dark souls 3 is that newcomers who didn't play the other installments wouldn't have any context for the flames and whatever. ds1 explicitly outlines that everything revolves around a magical flame but ds3 just kind of assumes you have the context of dying fires and undead curses

another nitpick: patches at one point mentions that the PC and he are "just a pair of jolly outcasts" (to mirror his line in ds1) except uh, no you're not? you're an ashen warrior which seems to have some sort of honor and duty attached to it, and people know who you are and address you by the title "unkindled"? so it seems "outcast" doesn't really apply and was just thrown in for nostalgia points

also, I wish you could obtain the zweihander earlier

In all fairness hey have no obligation to spell it all out for people again, especially at the third and final iteration.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
They must have thought that all invaders want to do is be some kind of suicidal cruise missile that only wants to kill a host and only out of pure spite.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

I got the remastered valkyra chronicles. It's like XCOM meets anime and I don't know if I'll like it.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

lite_sleepr posted:

I got the remastered valkyra chronicles. It's like XCOM meets anime and I don't know if I'll like it.

It's an excellent game. It's a much more character driven storyline than xcom.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

flowinprose posted:

I'm realizing this. I get that it's a JRPG and 'lol a million cut scenes' but drat. I have to click through 4 ~5 minute cut scenes to get some story, then I get a mission. A mission for every 4 or 5 5 minute cut scenes.

Is there perma death like in XCOM or do they simply 'retreat' when killed?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

flowinprose posted:

Yeah but its an anime story soooooo

EDIT: Oh wait I'm thinking of the sequel the turned up the anime to ridiculous amounts

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 18, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Do blue spirits get a Proof if the invader black crystals?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but its an anime story soooooo

so its good

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Valkyria Chronicles, 2008 or 2016, is godlike. Maybe I don't need that bottle of Minttu and eating out this weekend..

e: Permadeath if a fallen character gets reached by an enemy trooper only, the feeling when it happens the first time is devastating

Viperix posted:

I spent an hour farming Evangelists for a Spiked Mace. I finally got one and quit farming. I've killed the 6-7 remaining Evangelists in Undead Settlement. I now have 3 Spiked Maces.

I wanted to try out the Pikes, you know. The log carrying dudes in the road of sacrifices drop those. Put on some 300+ of equipment and coin cracking. 30 minutes later I finally get one, so I go and complete the route of them to finish the fight, and I get two more. Random doesn't feel random in DS3.

Spiked Mace is an unparryable beauty of a playersmasher, a hoot in the lower tiers when forestbroing, but I wonder how it performs in higher tiers?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm realizing this. I get that it's a JRPG and 'lol a million cut scenes' but drat. I have to click through 4 ~5 minute cut scenes to get some story, then I get a mission. A mission for every 4 or 5 5 minute cut scenes.

Is there perma death like in XCOM or do they simply 'retreat' when killed?

The side characters can definitely permanently die. The main characters can't die, because if they did you would lose the mission anyway.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

flowinprose posted:

The side characters can definitely permanently die. The main characters can't die, because if they did you would lose the mission anyway.

Oh no I can't deal with loss :nyoron:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You just play it like Fire Emblem where anytime someone dies you reset.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Viperix posted:

The RNG knows what you want.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Hey! I also spent an hour farming for a spiked mace the other day. I got 3 Great Wooden Hammers and 2 full sets of Evangelist stuff before I finally got the mace.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

Spiked Mace is an unparryable beauty of a playersmasher, a hoot in the lower tiers when forestbroing, but I wonder how it performs in higher tiers?

It's more or less a one-shot with Carthus Rouge, full Luck, and R1 -> L2 -> R2. At the very least, you're going to send them into the single digits.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hardly get any bites on my Farron covenant. I think I may have levelled out of it? It only works on people in the woods who havent beaten the Abyss Watchers right?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I proceeded with my pure Faith Lightning build I was asking about yesterday, it's actually really fun.

I've got something like 24 ATN/60 Faith/19 Dexterity. My Sunlight Spears hit for about 1k with Sage's Ring/Ring of the Firstborn Sun/Lightning Clutch. I need to get Morne's ring but I sold it or something so it'll wait for NG+. My biggest issue is just FP. I can use exactly 3 Sunlight Spears, or about 5 Lightning Stake's.

I'm rocking the Painted Guardian's Set, mostly for PvP because Fashion Souls, also because when you have a shield equipped (but not out) it's hidden on your back. My whole PvP gimmick has been element of surprise based. I throw a few Sunlight Spears, if I get a hit I can go in hard and maybe finish them off. If not I can usually bait them into mistaking my Lightning Stake for a Sunlight Spear and get the kill that way. I've been using the Grass Crest (or whatever shield that gives you small stamina regen boost) because the bonus applied even while it's on your back, so it's better than no stamina boost at all. I've been using Yorshka's Chime, which at +9 seems to have the best raw scaling for Faith in the game, but i'll grab Sunlight Talisman on NG+ because I apparently sold that too.

I have the Painted Guardian's Sword with Lightning infusion because Fashion Souls. it's really, really short, like insanely short. However, it basically has a dagger moveset with the damage slightly less than my Astora Straight Sword. The R2 is also a weird jumping/spinning slash which can catch people off guard. I should probably get something better, but I'm really just kind of loving around. There's a lot of weird weapons that get S scaling with Faith, so I might pick up a reaper or something goofy just because.

My big question is to what extent does Dexterity affect my casting? I would really like to do a Dragonslayer Swordspear build, but the requirements mean I'd have to pump a lot into Strength, and I'm keeping at 100SL so I don't have a lot of wiggle room. I need at least 25~ Vigor, 15 Endurance, and I really can't justify going under 60 Faith. my 19 Dexterity I have right now is just so I can use Painted Guardians sword, but I might respec and drop it back down to the base of 11 so I can get an extra 8 Faith, because even after the soft cap it seems to scale well. But I've seen people doing something like 55 Faith (With Priestess Ring to get soft cap) and 30 Dex, which would make spell casts pretty fast with Sage Ring.

Anybody have suggestions for where to go from here?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Why can't I save video clips from this game on ps4?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

My big question is to what extent does Dexterity affect my casting? I would really like to do a Dragonslayer Swordspear build, but the requirements mean I'd have to pump a lot into Strength, and I'm keeping at 100SL so I don't have a lot of wiggle room. I need at least 25~ Vigor, 15 Endurance, and I really can't justify going under 60 Faith. my 19 Dexterity I have right now is just so I can use Painted Guardians sword, but I might respec and drop it back down to the base of 11 so I can get an extra 8 Faith, because even after the soft cap it seems to scale well. But I've seen people doing something like 55 Faith (With Priestess Ring to get soft cap) and 30 Dex, which would make spell casts pretty fast with Sage Ring.

Anybody have suggestions for where to go from here?

Dex improves cast speed from 11-50. Sage's ring boosts speed equivalent to 30 points of dex, and will not go beyond the cap. So if you have 20 dex and the Sage's Ring+0 then you'll have hit the cast speed cap.

If you're looking to up your weapon variety I'd suggest considering going 18 str/16 dex, which will let you use quite a few weapons. Most notably the Dragonslayer's Axe and Drakeblood Greatsword. Both have innate lightning damage and can be infused. For a faith build you can make them raw to boost their physical damage, and then buff them with LB to make them quite hard hitters.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Get hosed, Great Wyvern

I was entirely out of Both kinds of estus, and had popped a last minute Ember, but I did it on the fist shot :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

argondamn posted:

Hey! I also spent an hour farming for a spiked mace the other day. I got 3 Great Wooden Hammers and 2 full sets of Evangelist stuff before I finally got the mace.

Getting the fire witch skirt has given me enough immolation tinders to build a new irithyll entirely out of tinders