Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Beat Saber Scent Pack includes Desert Smell, Jungle Smell, Electricity, The Scent of Autumn, Hot Iron, Sandal (I guess the wood and not feet), Green Apple, Grapefruit, Explosion, PLUS a bonus Calamus capsule for aromatherapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

did you make this kickstarter as a joke

nerox
May 20, 2001

BMan posted:

Why do idiots keep trying to make smell-o-vision

The smells of VR chat would be amazing.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

:heysexy:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

:barf:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh my god, THE Bogden Pachinko?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

BMan posted:

Why do idiots keep trying to make smell-o-vision

John Waters is not an idiot :mad:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

BMan posted:

Why do idiots geniuses keep trying to make smell-o-vision

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

homeless snail posted:

you can SMELL the beats

why my rift smell like ozone

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
gotta be honest, that version of smell-o-vision seems like it's had the most effort put into its presentation thus far

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cool another reason for people to barf in VR

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nerox posted:

The smells of VR chat would be amazing.

We both know drat-well the devs will almost certainly make it compatible (if only to see how long it takes the streamers to try it :unsmigghh:), and anyone who tries smellovision-enhanced VRChat will instantly regret using it the moment they set foot in any world that isn't their own Home.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We both know drat-well the devs will almost certainly make it compatible (if only to see how long it takes the streamers to try it :unsmigghh:), and anyone who tries smellovision-enhanced VRChat will instantly regret using it the moment they set foot in any world that isn't their own Home.

it'd be like living in boston, but in VR

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe they’re on to something. Smell being closely tied to memory and all.

I mean it’s conpletely loving bonkers insane but what the hell. We’re in uncharted territory here anyway.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

can u vape with it?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The problem with smell-o-vision is that we've found no base units of smell, so you can't just have 8 smells and mix them in different combinations to recreate all smells. Instead you have to have a different compound for every single smell possible.

That feel real thing advertises that it does hundreds of smells, but there is a big asterisk, which is that you have to buy the smells separately and you can only load a few smells into the device at a time.

I do think that VR is just about the only place where smell-o-vision is a good idea, if you could do it really well it would massively up the immersion.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Can verify better immersion; pour some motor oil and gasoline on your racing sim rig

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tip posted:

The problem with smell-o-vision is that we've found no base units of smell, so you can't just have 8 smells and mix them in different combinations to recreate all smells. Instead you have to have a different compound for every single smell possible.

That feel real thing advertises that it does hundreds of smells, but there is a big asterisk, which is that you have to buy the smells separately and you can only load a few smells into the device at a time.

I do think that VR is just about the only place where smell-o-vision is a good idea, if you could do it really well it would massively up the immersion.

gently caress that.
I am not getting into shady rear end companies selling shady rear end “smells” that are not tested and may give me cancer. Popcorn lung is real and comes from a chemical called diacetyl that is commonly created by organisms like yeast and I am not going to subject myself into being some idiots guinea pig for a million random chemicals.
It’s also really gross and not going to be used at the levels necessary.
Maybe I can interest you in a peripheral aimed at providing the ultimate in immersion technology, an isolation tank:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The gently caress You Say About Bogdan Zubchenko

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

homeless snail posted:

VR Megathread: The gently caress You Say About Bogdan Zubchenko

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

rage-saq posted:

gently caress that.
I am not getting into shady rear end companies selling shady rear end “smells” that are not tested and may give me cancer. Popcorn lung is real and comes from a chemical called diacetyl that is commonly created by organisms like yeast and I am not going to subject myself into being some idiots guinea pig for a million random chemicals.
Maybe I can interest you in a peripheral aimed at providing the ultimate in immersion technology, an isolation tank:

My point was that it's dumb and pretty much impossible to do a good job with a bunch of chemicals.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

gently caress that.

No one has ever gotten popcorn lung except factory workers and this one weird dude who made a ritual out of huffing the fumes from his popcorn the moment it left the microwave, multiple times a day.

I still get your point about random liquids. I wonder if the solid-state smell technology ever went anywhere; that used so few parts per million that I doubt it could ever be a threat to safety: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/195308-long-lasting-smell-o-vision-may-finally-be-a-reality-thanks-to-japanese-solid-scent-startup

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I ordered a VRCovers interface for the rift and I'm looking forward to having it (the longer version, hopefully it self with glasses comfort) but if I had known it was shipping from Thailand I'd probably have ordered something else.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Also, why would anybody ever think making your face sweat more in VR is a good idea

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BMan posted:

Also, why would anybody ever think making your face sweat more in VR is a good idea

If you're talking about the Feelreal, that's actually one of the less bad concepts. Combining a fan with a light mist of water leverages evaporative cooling, which multiplies the cooling effect much better than fan or water alone. It could help keep you cool during a workout as long as you're not already drenched in sweat or your room has swamp humidity levels.

edit: like in the summer our train stations have water hoses hooked up to their giant fans, because it is actually practical

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BMan posted:

More sweat, more immersion

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Zero VGS posted:

If you're talking about the Feelreal, that's actually one of the less bad concepts. Combining a fan with a light mist of water leverages evaporative cooling, which multiplies the cooling effect much better than fan or water alone. It could help keep you cool during a workout as long as you're not already drenched in sweat or your room has swamp humidity levels.

edit: like in the summer our train stations have water hoses hooked up to their giant fans, because it is actually practical

I'm talking about the heat mode

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BMan posted:

I'm talking about the heat mode

It'd be sweet to be fighting a dragon in Skyrim and feel the heat on your face when the dragon breathes fire at you. And then that novelty wears off and that setting is disabled forever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dragon breath smells like heater coils. Who knew?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard enough time breathing in VR what with the nose cup right over my bridge. I don't also need a mini fan/heater/mister blowing air and mist in my nose and mouth.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Interesting bit of info slipping out regarding the Quest and using it outdoors. The developer of some racket ball game thing had a trailer for it releasing on quest, featuring someone flailing around in a desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0_GOyiKpYg

In the comments someone complained that the video made it look like you could use it outdoors which they felt gave unrealistic expectations. To which the developer chiming in to say they were actually playing it in the desert to record the video, and added:

quote:

All I can say is that playing for a couple of hours out there, the headset didn't loose tracking for a second.

When it got dark, there were a few minutes of stuttering before it was completely unable to track, though.

Sounds like there theres the potential for a lot of crazy hacky world scale projects. I can't wait for the first person to walk into the grand canyon playing world scale skyrim...

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Previa_fun posted:

I ordered a VRCovers interface for the rift and I'm looking forward to having it (the longer version, hopefully it self with glasses comfort) but if I had known it was shipping from Thailand I'd probably have ordered something else.

I’m in the same boat. It’s been like 4 days and it seemingly hasn’t even left Thailand yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheezle posted:

I’m in the same boat. It’s been like 4 days and it seemingly hasn’t even left Thailand yet.

If you're in the US, they should have local distribution through Amazon iirc. Otherwise they're well worth the wait and investment over the default face cushions.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Acer is announcing a new headset, same resolution, Rift-style headstrap and earphones as the HP Reverb, plus IPD adjustment:

https://www.roadtovr.com/acer-conceptd-ojo-headset-announcement/

Tom Guycot posted:

Interesting bit of info slipping out regarding the Quest and using it outdoors. The developer of some racket ball game thing had a trailer for it releasing on quest, featuring someone flailing around in a desert.

Sounds like there theres the potential for a lot of crazy hacky world scale projects. I can't wait for the first person to walk into the grand canyon playing world scale skyrim...

Yeah that's what I've been saying... now picture this, go out into a field, tether the Quest to your smartphone's hotspot, and then play Rec Room Paintball / Laser Tag online against other people, running around and dodging at full sprint. You might need a spotter to make sure you don't trample the local schoolkids though.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 12, 2019

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're in the US, they should have local distribution through Amazon iirc. Otherwise they're well worth the wait and investment over the default face cushions.

Yeah I’m in Australia so all I can really do is wait.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Zero VGS posted:

Acer is announcing a new headset, same resolution, Rift-style headstrap and earphones as the HP Reverb, plus IPD adjustment:

https://www.roadtovr.com/acer-conceptd-ojo-headset-announcement/

God I wish WMR was a better platform. These headsets have great specs, but the incredibly limited tracking area and terrible controllers just kill it unless you're simming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sethsez posted:

God I wish WMR was a better platform. These headsets have great specs, but the incredibly limited tracking area and terrible controllers just kill it unless you're simming.

I wouldn't be surprised if every WMR company is looking REAL hard at the Oculus Rift S and taking notes.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if every WMR company is looking REAL hard at the Oculus Rift S and taking notes.

HP has said that Microsoft doesn't want them messing with the tracking setup. Everything else is fair game, but the tracking is apparently non-negotiable.

Which is a drat shame, because it's clearly a tracking solution backported from Hololens, and while it makes perfect sense there, it's just too limited for VR.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

sethsez posted:

HP has said that Microsoft doesn't want them messing with the tracking setup. Everything else is fair game, but the tracking is apparently non-negotiable.

Which is a drat shame, because it's clearly a tracking solution backported from Hololens, and while it makes perfect sense there, it's just too limited for VR.

That's pretty bonkers. Literally the one thing holding WMR back, that's the thing you can't change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sethsez posted:

Goddamn it Microsoft, why must you keep jamming your foot down on that rake when it comes to VR? :cripes: