Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It doesn't even have that much going on for it, graphically. I don't think anyone has really figured out what's wrong with it, it's just horrendously optimized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They probably spent a lot of time thinking about CPU efficiency and much less about GPU efficiency, because yeah sim game, and then when they realized how deep the hole was they didn’t have time to dig out before shipping. (Because so many things in game publishing are predicated on “when you release” than “what you release” for reasons that are probably historically interesting but totally beyond my ken.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Happy to see the 2400G still has legs. Love that guy - got me through 2020

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

repiv posted:

i don't know why we need two or more relatively slow CPU threads when the GPU thread lumps everything together and works fine, but IIRC there was pushback to a CPU megathread last time it came up

tbf a CPU thread is also a sort of a motherboard and RAM thread and it sort of makes sense to not mix up intel's X420 with AMD's X420. but also,

Subjunctive posted:

It’s OK. We have 4 Ukraine threads, we can have this war in multiple threads too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
CPUs should have multiple threads. It's called hyperthreading :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

boo

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

:golfclap:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

um actually this is the amd thread, so it’s SMT :smug:

*piano falls directly on my head*

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gradenko_2000 posted:

by that logic we should have thousands of GPU threads :thesperg:

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Klyith posted:

by that logic we should have thousands of GPU threads :thesperg:

Don't you mean CUDA™ posts™?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Why is a sim game GPU bottlenecked?

I play DF so I know I might not have much of a leg to stand on here, but surely a sim game doesn't need that amount of visual fidelity.

In one twitch clip I saw, turning off depth of field increased the fps from like 20 to 110.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

gradenko_2000 posted:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

I play DF so I know I might not have much of a leg to stand on here, but surely a sim game doesn't need that amount of visual fidelity.

What if they're trying to offload some of that simulation onto the GPU?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Everything I've seen of Skylines 2 that isn't the pre-rendered trailer makes it look the same graphically as the first, so IDK what they've been doing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apparently some of the post processing passes are horrendously slow, just disabling depth of field is doubling peoples frames

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

gently caress, this is brilliant.

Cygni posted:

um actually this is the amd thread, so it’s SMT :smug:

*piano falls directly on my head*
Well actually *pushes up glasses*, I think you'll find that it's SMT, if you're referring to the technology and not a particular implementation of it. *wipes snot*

Kibner posted:

In one twitch clip I saw, turning off depth of field increased the fps from like 20 to 110.
That's an impressive failure to optimize.

isndl posted:

What if they're trying to offload some of that simulation onto the GPU?
But they aren't.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 25, 2023

Khorne
May 1, 2002

If you set it to "very low" at 1080p you get about 80 fps whether you have a 4090, 3080, 7900 XT, or various RDNA2 cards from last gen.

Cities skylines performed terrible on launch, was never really fixed, and benefitted from hardware improvements. Cities skylines 2 seems to have followed in its footsteps.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

not only are the post processing passes ridiculously expensive, it also sounds like they're just drawing too much geometry

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/949230/view/3744239011016556921?l=english

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

not only are the post processing passes ridiculously expensive, it also sounds like they're just drawing too much geometry

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/949230/view/3744239011016556921?l=english

quote:

It is worth mentioning that for a game like this, the performance target is to run at a steady 30FPS minimum. There is no real benefit in a city builder to aim for higher FPS (unlike a multiplayer shooter) as a growing city will inevitably become CPU-bound. What matters more with this type of game is to avoid stutters and have a responsive UI.

when I first booted the game, it was literally running at 10fps in the main menu on my 7800X3D and 4090. Just rendering a simple skyline in the background. Great job nailing that target, guys.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what raised my eyebrows in that article is that they can't implement TAA, which means they can't implement FSR / DLSS

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

what raised my eyebrow in their first statement and hasn't been improved in that clarification are their implications about simulation and ui logic not being entirely decoupled with priority given to the ui...

it's impressive to look at this release compared to cities skylines 1's release against sim city loving everything up, i presume they've had a complete change in employees since then

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What's funny is that there is a TAA option in the game, but I'm not sure if it actually does anything. I managed to get 60fps at a native 4K just by turning off depth of field, and setting volumetrics and GI to medium. But that's with an early city, and it really shouldn't take a 4090 to do that given how unremarkable the game looks. It's an absolute shimmery mess with SMAA.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What's funny is that there is a TAA option in the game, but I'm not sure if it actually does anything. I managed to get 60fps at a native 4K just by turning off depth of field, and setting volumetrics and GI to medium. But that's with an early city, and it really shouldn't take a 4090 to do that given how unremarkable the game looks. It's an absolute shimmery mess with SMAA.

I dont know if the TAA actually works, but switching from SMAA to TAA in the advanced settings makes the game look massively better with no discernible change in framerate. Game is 6-12 months underbaked.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

gradenko_2000 posted:

what raised my eyebrows in that article is that they can't implement TAA, which means they can't implement FSR / DLSS
Did they edit it? Because it says they're working towards enabling it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

repiv posted:

i don't know why we need two or more relatively slow CPU threads when the GPU thread lumps everything together and works fine, but IIRC there was pushback to a CPU megathread last time it came up

shsc just loves segmentation, there's like three separate work chat threads. see klyith mentioning overclock chat when, hey, there's already an overclocking megathread! :buddy:

"nuhhhh there's weird fiddly platfrom bullshit" there's nothing stopping that being discussed in a combined x86 thread. ridiculous

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

shsc just loves segmentation, there's like three separate work chat threads. see klyith mentioning overclock chat when, hey, there's already an overclocking megathread! :buddy:

"nuhhhh there's weird fiddly platfrom bullshit" there's nothing stopping that being discussed in a combined x86 thread. ridiculous

I'd love to see a unified x86 thread, ideally with a OP that mentions Centaur and VIA.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd love to see a unified x86 thread, ideally with a OP that mentions Centaur and VIA.

I won't stand for this Transmeta erasure!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Have an aunt used to live like 1 mile from the VIA hq in Fremont. That KT266A chipset was an absolute game changer back in the day. KT333 was decent too, the first to support ATA133 speeds iirc.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel’s RDRAM excursion and amd’s early reluctance to dabble in chipsets unless they absolutely had to left the door wide open for VIA, and they did have a short hot streak. Their only real competition was ALi, lol.

Once Nvidia (and ATI, and even SiS for a bit) entered the market, it became real obvious how bad VIAs compatibility and performance really was and they faded fast out of the market. But I guess so did everyone once Intel and AMD went full anti competition and killed an entire market off forever, while the courts twiddled their thumbs.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

At this point I think Centaur, VIA, and Transmeta x86 might need a retrocomputing thread :v:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cygni posted:

Intel’s RDRAM excursion and amd’s early reluctance to dabble in chipsets unless they absolutely had to left the door wide open for VIA, and they did have a short hot streak. Their only real competition was ALi, lol.

Once Nvidia (and ATI, and even SiS for a bit) entered the market, it became real obvious how bad VIAs compatibility and performance really was and they faded fast out of the market. But I guess so did everyone once Intel and AMD went full anti competition and killed an entire market off forever, while the courts twiddled their thumbs.

To some extent, I do miss the days of having to research a few different chipset options to see which one made the most sense for me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

At this point I think Centaur, VIA, and Transmeta x86 might need a retrocomputing thread :v:

What about a Zhaoxin megathread :v:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

What about a Zhaoxin megathread :v:

All under the umbrella of garbage computing

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
drat no love for cyrix

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

drat no love for cyrix

Cyrix 6x86 p166 was the first cpu I ever bought

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zen 4 + Zen4c hybrid designs officially on the market, and tries to set a new bar for bad marketing names:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/21111/amd-unveils-ryzen-7040u-series-with-zen-4c-smaller-cores-bigger-efficiency

quote:

The first of the two new Ryzen 7040U processors with Zen 4c is the Ryzen 5 7545U, which coincidentally shares similar specifications to the existing Ryzen 7540U processor. The critical difference is that the Ryzen 5 7545U uses two full-fat Zen 4 cores with four of the smaller Zen 4c cores, which is an interesting implementation, to say the least. The second is the Ryzen 3 7440U, a direct successor to the...well, processor with the same name, the Ryzen 3 7440U, trading off most of its Zen 4 CPU cores for Zen 4c cores.

Yes, there are two SKUs with the same name... one that has 4 big cores, one that is 1 big core and 3 little cores.

Also, AMD is purposefully obfuscating what the core counts are going to be on hybrid products, including launching the Z1 earlier this year that already had Zen 4c cores ... and they just didn't tell anyone.

quote:

Because Zen 4c has the same IPC as Zen 4, AMD is treating them as one and the same throughout their marketing and technical disclosures. And while there’s something to be said for keeping things simple for the masses, we none the less have come away from AMD’s briefing with some reservations about the matter – and some concerns about what is not being said.

To tackle the biggest issue first, the big trade-off with Zen 4c is die space for clockspeed. Zen 4c cores clock lower than Zen 4 cores. How much lower? Well, there’s the rub. We don’t know. At least, not with Phoenix 2.

All of this is to say that, based on AMD’s disclosures thus far, all evidence points to Zen 4c not clocking much above 3GHz – and it’s not supposed to.

But compared to a Phoenix (1) chip with Zen 4 cores, this is a significant and notable difference. Whereas all 8 cores on Phoenix can get to 4GHz+ when power and thermal conditions allow it, there’s no surpassing the lower clockspeeds of Zen 4c. In that respect, Zen 4c is not equivalent to Zen 4; it’s markedly slower.

In practice, things aren’t going to be this disparate, of course. In a 15W device there’s little room for a 6/8 core Zen 4 setup to hit those clockspeeds, and we have no reason to doubt the accuracy of AMD’s performance graphs from their slides. Phoenix 2 probably is more efficient – and thus higher scoring – in heavily multithreaded scenarios.

But the central problem remains: AMD is not doing themselves a favor by failing to disclose the maximum clockspeeds of the Zen 4c cores. Despite AMD’s desire to paper over the differences, Zen 4 and Zen 4c are not identical CPU cores. Zen 4c is for all practical purposes AMD’s efficiency core, and it needs to be treated as such. Which is to say that its clockspeeds need to be disclosed separately from the other cores, similar to the kind of disclosures that Intel and Qualcomm make today.

AMD, Intel, and Nvidia: forever locked in a war to have the worst, most consumer unfriendly marketing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Yeah ok that is hosed up naming.
They're using one core to gain their headline max turbo speed, failing to mention all the others can't come close.
Bad AMD. This is going to cause a lot of noise and backlash from nerds.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 3, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol the 7440U is like... an ethics violation

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah ok that is hosed up naming.
They're using one core to gain their headline max turbo speed, failing to mention all the others can't come close.
Bad AMD. This is going to cause a lot of noise and backlash from nerds.

To play devil's advocate, that's kind of how max turbo speeds end up working on everything, especially low power mobile chips. You only ever see it with 1c or 2c load, and that gets dispatched to a preferred core.

On the other hand, 7000 series APU naming was already imo the worst of anyone's current offerings, with a bunch being straight up rebranding of 6000 and 5000 series chips to make them look newer.

E: like the 7730U is just blatantly a 5800U with a 100mhz clock bump. What the gently caress is that.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

VorpalFish posted:

To play devil's advocate, that's kind of how max turbo speeds end up working on everything, especially low power mobile chips. You only ever see it with 1c or 2c load, and that gets dispatched to a preferred core.

On the other hand, 7000 series APU naming was already imo the worst of anyone's current offerings, with a bunch being straight up rebranding of 6000 and 5000 series chips to make them look newer.

Friend, have you taken a look at the Intel thread and their "14th generation" desktop chips?