Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Yea that actually just came on and it is pretty kickass. Way better than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I agree with Josh, the acoustic CD is nice but most of this doesn't really sound much different.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Time for me to be mr rear end in a top hat jerk

I liked Reel Big Fish when they did Cheer Up. Then they decided they would just go back to making lovely boring derivative vanilla no effort retread ska music "for the kidz" just like their piece of poo poo spinoff band Forces of Evil. Their last two albums are cover albums because they dont know how to write music anymore. GRANTED, when I liked Cheer Up, I was in high school, so my tastes have changed. But I have listened to it in the past year and I still prefer it and Why Do They Rock So Hard to any of the music they've made since then.

And Big D's Fluent in Stroll was musical vomit.

Is that rear end in a top hat jerk enough, I could really get mean!!!

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
I'll take that as a resounding No.
And go see them anyway hoping they'll play 51 Gardner and then cry when they don't.

I Youtubed Scotts a dork 'cause i haden't heard of it and was really rocking out but then what the gently caress, modulation, arg my Achilles Heel, arrg it burns why oh why. Any good UK ska bands I should see then? I don't even know if they really have a scene, but then neither does Australia.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

asio posted:

Are Big D good live? Should I spend precious currencies to see them?

I saw them backing Reel Big Fish along with Sonic Boom Six in Bristol last year and they were actually really good, probably better than RBF were actually.

Sonic Boom Six's female singer hurts my ears :smith:

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

I havent given the album a full listen yet, but from what I'm hearing, all the recordings were mastered loving awfully. The horns sound pretty dull. I get the feeling all their "we're tired of this" attitude sunk into the album.

I wish they would just break up already so scott can go do something else. He is really wasting his talent in this band.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I liked Reel Big Fish when they did Cheer Up. Then they decided they would just go back to making lovely boring derivative vanilla no effort retread ska music "for the kidz" just like their piece of poo poo spinoff band Forces of Evil. Their last two albums are cover albums because they dont know how to write music anymore. GRANTED, when I liked Cheer Up, I was in high school, so my tastes have changed.
I, too, liked and still do like cheer up.

fakeedit: Got to scott's a dork, this is pretty cool.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Why Do They Rock So Hard? is still the best RBF album. Better than Cheer Up for sure.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Why Do They Rock So Hard? is still the best RBF album. Better than Cheer Up for sure.

Seriously. Somebody Hates Me, Set Up, She's Famous Now, Scott's a Dork, I Want Your Girlfriend...

Cheer up has like three great tracks but the rest is eh

Cheer Up also had the problem of being way too overproduced. Just listen to the vocals and you'll see what I mean. It's pitch-perfect, but it sounds robotic.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 22, 2010

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

guppy posted:

I like both. I know that their superfans didn't, because those albums constituted "rock with horns", which at the time was a poisonous phrase, I guess to people it constituted selling out?? RBF got really angsty and put out that awful "We're Not Happy" album where they basically carbon copied songs from the previous 2 albums but made them less interesting. Then they put out that monkey album with songs that were worse than the cover art.

I dunno, I never had a problem with "rock with horns" because my favorite band when I was just a snot nosed kid in the 90s was early Chicago, which goes by that very definition. But I do have a problem with "ska for the kidz"; I don't like most third-wave ska music, I can't stand when a band throws down a generic I, IV, V progression, some dotted eighth note horn melodies, and sings about video games or their girlfriend being a bitch, gently caress that. Why contribute to the shitpile. All of the good bands have moved on to new sounds. And the ones that haven't are at least putting the effort in. RBF isn't, they're just coasting.

This is too many words to talk about this. I really need some new music to listen to so I can shut up and stop spergin.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 22, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My biggest problem with Cheer Up is the production really. It sounds so...forced? I dunno the word I want.

Basically this is going to enter the rotation with Turn the Radio Off and the live album and be the third RBF album I listen to regularly

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Is anyone going to the Suicide Machines reunion/Code reunion/WATU show this Saturday? I'm leaving from NJ tomorrow night. Excited to see my favorite live band of all time again.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't mean to suggest that I hate Cheer Up. I don't, I think there's some great stuff on it. I just think Why Do They Rock So Hard? is an amazing album and is substantially better than Cheer Up and beats their others too. I do agree that Cheer Up is overproduced.

I hated We're Not Happy Til You're Not Happy at first, but it's grown on me and I like a lot of it now. Monkeys For Nothing hasn't, but I haven't really given it a chance to as I don't listen to it much. The weird thing with We're Not Happy is that I still thought I hated it for a long time, and then one day I realized that these songs I liked quite a lot were from that album. Somehow they snuck into my rotation. I think the double live album may have something to do with that.

Speaking of which, the double live album is amazing. Great versions of great songs and a lot of energy and fun. (Is So Much For Rock And Roll a cover? I've always assumed it was an unreleased original but hadn't checked -- I love that song.) That album and this new greatest hits album, despite the fact that they break virtually no new ground, give me the most hope for RBF's future -- they sound like they actually want to be making music again. I really hope there's a good, new, original release soon.

I finished listening to the new release, and listened to several highlights again. CD 1 is good, but I find myself thrown frequently because I'm so used to those songs sounding just so, so the small variations are jarring. Still sounds great though. I am still not as impressed by most of CD 2 as you guys seem to be, including Scott's A Dork; my initial opinion is that the two best tracks from that CD are Where Have You Been? and Nothing, two songs I don't harbor any great love for in their original versions.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
In case anyone can donate, someone is trying to raise some cash for a BTMI!/punk documentary:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/703447049/bomb-the-music-industry-a-documentary

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hedgecore posted:

Is anyone going to the Suicide Machines reunion/Code reunion/WATU show this Saturday? I'm leaving from NJ tomorrow night. Excited to see my favorite live band of all time again.

Holy poo poo what when where

Suicide Machines were my very first show and I will go to this reunion come hell or high water.

The Code are pretty loving awesome too.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Talking about Big D...

quote:

We also have a new record coming out soon called the Damned, The Dumb and the Delirious...I think this is going to be really fast, loud; I don’t think there’s going to be any slower songs on it. It’s going to be really balls to the wall. We just wanted to do that because we realized those songs are more kind of fun to play live.

Really stoked for this. Fluent In Stroll was ok but I much prefer their faster stuff.

As for seeing them live - I saw them at the Glasgow leg of their RBF/SB6 tour and they were really good. They opened with 2 songs off of Fluent In Stroll and the crowd *really* didn't get into it, totally deadpan. It picked up after that though with Noise Complaint and a bunch of their older stuff and it turned into a top notch show.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Holy poo poo what when where

Suicide Machines were my very first show and I will go to this reunion come hell or high water.

The Code are pretty loving awesome too.

Detroit. http://www.last.fm/event/1540574+The+Suicide+Machines

I saw them for the first time 7 years ago... so this is awesome.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I saw BTMI for the first time on Thursday and the show was loving awesome. Also there was an opening band called The Taxpayers that were pretty sweet, too. Unfortunately their recorded stuff doesn't seem to compare to them live.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm seeing Fatter than Albert and Stuck Lucky and a billion other ska bands in a few hours.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Thornes posted:

I saw BTMI for the first time on Thursday and the show was loving awesome. Also there was an opening band called The Taxpayers that were pretty sweet, too. Unfortunately their recorded stuff doesn't seem to compare to them live.

I like their recorded stuff so I guess I should see them live.

I like pretty much everything on Quote Unquote. The two albums they have up there by The Wild are awesome, Chewing on Tinfoil are pretty good, I like Cheap Girls and Hard Girls and of course there's O Pioneers!!!, Kudrow and Shinobu. Also, Pegasuses-XL is kinda weird but totally awesome.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I'm seeing Fatter than Albert and Stuck Lucky and a billion other ska bands in a few hours.

I'm going to the CR show on Tuesday. Can't wait.

edit: gently caress yeah. Bosstones, Flatliners, and Teenage Bottlerocket at the Town Ballroom in Buffalo, at the end of August, right after school starts. This is gonna be the BEST FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL EVER

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 24, 2010

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005
I just got back from BTMI in Cleveland, and they were absolutely spectacular. If anyone is on the fence about going to see them, go, you won't regret it. On a related note, does anyone else have a BTMI spray painted shirt? I'm wondering if I can ever wash this without all the paint coming off.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Yea I've got one that I got on the Rick Johnson/BTMI tour way back in the day and it's still holding up. They were touring for the President's Day split so that was back in 2006. gently caress I'm old.

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005
Good to know, I was really afraid it'd be ruined the first time I wash it.
By the way, they seemed to be running pretty low on spray paint tonight, if anyone's going to see them soon, I'm sure they'd probably appreciate some donated paint.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
On a related note, BTMI! updated their website and said that they need help booking a show in Minneapolis. This is especially terrible because I was gonna go to that show.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

z16bitsega posted:

I'm wondering if I can ever wash this without all the paint coming off.

On the other hand, a shirt I got last year almost completely faded when I washed it the first time, so it's pretty much done by feel if you can wash it.

The Cleveland show was a lot of fun though. The turnout was way bigger than when I saw them in Covington last year and everyone seemed generally more into all of the music.

The set, to my memory, went something like this:

Congratulations John
Saddr Weirdr
Slumlord
Pizza Claus
Freebird
All Ages Shows/Big Ending/The First Time I Met Sanawon
Fresh Attitude, Young Body
Side Projects
Sort of Like Being Pumped
I Don't Love You Anymore

I know I'm missing at least one song here, so feel free to correct me.

HavveK
Aug 3, 2008
I got a dress shirt painted back around '06 when they were touring with the Fad. It was white & red/pink with a big stencil. That one held up well.

I got another one at the last time the full band stopped in Chicago where it was just "BTMI" in gold spray paint. That one did not hold up well at all. I'll probably get it repainted at their show here tomorrow.

HavveK fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 26, 2010

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009
Bad ads nab top cop. Also, The Project Pt. II.

When all else fails, cash in your Ruples for new foreign myths.

guppy posted:

I am glad I can find somebody else to agree with me on this. Besides Turn the Radio Off, I feel like their studio albums were totally lacking.

Their double live CD actually makes me enjoy some of the later stuff, but I really haven't been able to get in to a studio album of theirs since Why Do They Rock So Hard, which I realize is now like 10+ years old.

Goddamn, ska music makes me feel ancient.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

How was the show...also I hate you because I can't go when they are here in town.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
According to the tumblr, Jeff is working on a new BtMI! album already. So we should be seeing it by what, 2012?

HavveK
Aug 3, 2008
At the Bomb the Music Industry! show tonight they started selling shirts. Offer to paint shirts still stands. The shirts were pretty funny. One was a spoof of the Black Flag logo but had about 10 bars in each row and 4 rows then where it would say "Black Flag" it said "Enough Already." The other one said "Merchandise" big on the front then on the back had a brief history of the band and how they came to the point of caving in and making shirts.

I've seen BTMI! 9 times now and this may have been the best yet. Everyone was having fun.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Dickeye posted:

According to the tumblr, Jeff is working on a new BtMI! album already. So we should be seeing it by what, 2012?

Knowing Bomb? Next week.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

Knowing Bomb? Next week.

I think that's the joke.

Also, the blog post says "out soon!" so consider me hyped as gently caress.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dnz posted:

I think that's the joke.

Also, the blog post says "out soon!" so consider me hyped as gently caress.

The joke was actually about Scrambles getting pushed back

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Dickeye posted:

The joke was actually about Scrambles getting pushed back

I figured it was a crack at streetlight v:shobon:v

Scrambles was loving hilarious even though it was only pushed back a month or so...

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I was shocked with how quick ADULTS! came out, knowing Jeff I didn't expect to see another album until 2013. It's awesome that he's seemingly just churning these out now because with how much BtMI! has ramped up since Get Warmer, I'm having a harder and harder time waiting for new albums :sweatdrop:

e: I want to actually buy a BtMI! shirt just so I can have one that's good quality and so I can also help support them more so I'm glad they're making them now. I still plan on getting one painted whenever I get to see them because I feel like that's something you just have to do.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 27, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Why the hell didn't Reel Big Fish record where have you been like how they play it live? I always liked the song, despite it lacking horns, but they way they play it live loving fantastic. Its on the new double album twice they could have done of them the live way. This is making me sad guys.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Saw Fatter Than Albert and Matt Wixson last night, and it was great. I bought a shirt with a bear on it, and that's great too.

FTA played some new poo poo that sounded awesome

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Suicide Machines were incredible. Totally worth the 13 hours each way!

Setlist!

Burning in the Aftermath
The Real You
Someone
Capitalist Suicide
Hey Ska
Numbers
Keep it a Crime
Our Time
Honor Among Thieves
Black and White World
17% 18 to 25
S.O.S.
Your Silence
Did You Ever Get a Feeling of Dread?
Face Values
Too Much
Beat My Head Against The Wall
Sides
Break the Glass
DDT
New Girl
Vans Song

Matt from WATU played trombone on Hey Ska and Vans Song, so that was great too.

The one new Bomb song (not the Tumblr one) I heard was awesome, so I'm really looking forward to the whole thing. It wasn't that acoustic one though. Sounded kinda like the fun energy of Album Minus Band / To Leave or Die with the more matured songwriting style of Scrambles/Adults.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Got my tickets for Flatliners/TBR/Bosstones

loving woot

Woot I tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I hope they play nothing but Death Valley Vipers. Just to spite you.