Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:

Spiffness posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/25BH...=item3359266328

I want a 197 BHP 690 engine with a top speed of 10%!

And what the hell kind of bike produces 173.4 torques before this magical chip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Is it weird that I'm starting to find crashing in really soft sand sort of fun?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was fine for like the first month and a half, but now that we're over two months into this thing called 'winter' (and a crappy one at that), I'm really starting to get bike fever :(

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

lancemantis posted:

I was fine for like the first month and a half, but now that we're over two months into this thing called 'winter' (and a crappy one at that), I'm really starting to get bike fever :(

I put just under 100 miles on the KLR today riding around and scoping out neighborhoods that I might buy a condo in. It was around 50 but crystal clear.

LA looks amazing right after a good rain, before the smog returns

California :smug:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

redscare posted:

I put just under 100 miles on the KLR today riding around and scoping out neighborhoods that I might buy a condo in. It was around 50 but crystal clear.

LA looks amazing right after a good rain, before the smog returns

California :smug:

My first experience in LA was in 07 during the bad fires. My mind was blown.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga
Is the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show or whatever the hell it's called worth going to?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

RichBomb posted:

Is the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show or whatever the hell it's called worth going to?

Depends. What do you want to do there? It's fun to walk around, look at and sit on bikes, shake hands with famous racers and riders and stuff, but beyond that, it's nothing special. Sometimes you can grab some good deals on odds and ends.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Bird-o-matic posted:

And what the hell kind of bike produces 173.4 torques before this magical chip?

Not to mention the dyno runs were from 2004, and it looks like according to motorcyclespecs.co.za there weren't any streetbikes using the 690 until 2007.

It's probably a car dyno.

The whole thing is your typical :psyduck: ebay ad catering to idiots.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

IAMKOREA posted:

Is it weird that I'm starting to find crashing in really soft sand sort of fun?

Not one bit. Any crash you don't get hurt doing, is always worthwhile, and always fun.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yesterday I learned why Sportsters on Craigslist are so incredibly overpriced (I saw someone trying to sell a 2007 for $12000):

http://community.livejournal.com/motorcycles/2935256.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zool posted:

They don't even have a picture of a real computer chip? They figure a 3D model should sell itself.

Whats scary is all the positive feedback, its hard to believe people are that dumb.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Endless Mike posted:

Yesterday I learned why Sportsters on Craigslist are so incredibly overpriced (I saw someone trying to sell a 2007 for $12000):

http://community.livejournal.com/motorcycles/2935256.html

What makes me laugh about that story is how "Powerful!" the bike is. I could put him on the F2 that I'm fixing up, and it'd blow his mind. To say nothing of the much newer 636.

Which reminds me...jesus, I forgot how instant on the throttle is on a modern, FI 600. Comparing the F2 and the 636 is like comparing a Civic to a Viper.

Phat, never doubt the power of the placebo effect...it's cured cancer, after all...

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
well, when you get an earful of crap from people about what an appropriate starter bike is, everything seems powerful. I didn't think he was being a goober, I thought he was trying to say he understood that it could be dangerous.

He's having fun, poo poo. He must be to try to ride the thing on ice :what:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

well, when you get an earful of crap from people about what an appropriate starter bike is, everything seems powerful. I didn't think he was being a goober, I thought he was trying to say he understood that it could be dangerous.

He's having fun, poo poo. He must be to try to ride the thing on ice :what:

Nah, he's actually got a really good attitude towards it, trying to ride on ice aside. I just find it funny how wide the gap between "cruiser fast" and "sportbike fast" is. A "girlie" sportster makes like 55hp, and the "big" nightster makes like 70hp. Harley motors have some serious, stump pulling torque, but the fact that the difference between a "big engined harley" and a "small engined harley" is only like 15hp is pretty amusing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Nah, he's actually got a really good attitude towards it, trying to ride on ice aside. I just find it funny how wide the gap between "cruiser fast" and "sportbike fast" is. A "girlie" sportster makes like 55hp, and the "big" nightster makes like 70hp. Harley motors have some serious, stump pulling torque, but the fact that the difference between a "big engined harley" and a "small engined harley" is only like 15hp is pretty amusing.

I'm just going to post my reply about the road king from the bike listing thread.

quote:

Over $50,000 invested

quote:

100HP

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I'm just going to post my reply about the road king from the bike listing thread.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Chrome costs money man. Big money.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I cant picture spending 50G's on ANY bike and still not being able to both make it look good AND make it a face-melting death rocket.

And trust me, with 50K, you can make one hell of a fast Harley

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
The mechanic I use was telling me stories about how he modified a Harley for drag-racing, and would race dudes with modern literbikes at lights and win. Pretty amusing stuff.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oakey posted:

The mechanic I use was telling me stories about how he modified a Harley for drag-racing, and would race dudes with modern literbikes at lights and win. Pretty amusing stuff.

Honestly, a harley off the line is pretty quick, because it's got that nice weight distribution that makes them not wheelie prone at all, and it's got a motor that doesn't require a boatload of revs to make power, and really short gears.

It's just once you hit the point where HP starts to matter, they get the paint sucked off them. I mean, honestly, even the most stoplight GP motherfucker isn't going to rev his R6 to 14k to launch it from the light.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oakey posted:

Harleys are the most fun to race on a sportbike, because unless you can launch the poo poo out of your bike without flipping it, the Harley will get you off the line, but then you reel them back in.

Its fun watching their faces as they race too (since none of them wear helmets) :

Harley rider during launch: :smug:

60 Foot: :unsmith:

70mph+:

To be fair though, every once in a while you'll find someone with a seriously legit Harley with a ton of useful work put into the motor, and its all over till after the 100mph mark. Those guys you have to have respect for.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 25, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Honestly, I'm thinking wanting to race a cruiser is the wrong attitude to have, in general. I'm already starting to get the seed of a need for a second bike with my M109--it's fun and it's fast, but it doesn't handle in a way that makes me trust it for screwing around. I trust it for being on the highway, and some weird wind buffets me, or a rubber base from a construction barrel gets in my way, and I have to ride over it, but I don't want to have to throw it out of the way of some oblivious civic while I'm threading my way through traffic.

cruisers are for cruising.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

I mean, honestly, even the most stoplight GP motherfucker isn't going to rev his R6 to 14k to launch it from the light.

You know as well as anyone else that this does happen and that it always results in comedy and a trip to the hospital.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

You know as well as anyone else that this does happen and that it always results in comedy and a trip to the hospital.

I just wish I could be there to see it (no i don't, because I'd be the good samaritan picking his bike up and taking it to his house).

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Honestly, I'm thinking wanting to race a cruiser is the wrong attitude to have, in general. I'm already starting to get the seed of a need for a second bike with my M109--it's fun and it's fast, but it doesn't handle in a way that makes me trust it for screwing around. I trust it for being on the highway, and some weird wind buffets me, or a rubber base from a construction barrel gets in my way, and I have to ride over it, but I don't want to have to throw it out of the way of some oblivious civic while I'm threading my way through traffic.

I dunno, they've got such an awesome setup for launching, where wheelies are basically not a concern. I mean, the VMax is still one of the baddest bikes around just for the pure rear end kicking hilarity of it. Stoplight racing doesn't have much to do with handling either, as long as that rear tire hooks up and the front end stays down...

Are there bike that'll do it better? Sure. But it'd be awesome to have a cruiser that would hand the smackdown to a literbike up to 80-100mph for a reasonable price.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Z3n posted:

Are there bike that'll do it better? Sure. But it'd be awesome to have a cruiser that would hand the smackdown to a literbike up to 80-100mph for a reasonable price.

:smug:

Basically, Z3n is right. It's awesome to have a bike that can launch like a rocket and surprise the gently caress out of people who aren't expecting a huge bike to be so fast, and yet it's also comfortable as gently caress for cruising. Best of both worlds.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Z3n posted:

BOSS HOSS

vs GSXR 750 (Boss Hoss out in front until 130mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Zer1NoiQw&feature=related

vs ZX12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-zeMNQjvRc&feature=related

vs snowmobile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nc-9BMPMY

vs scooter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1kMlhrfcgU&feature=related

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Holy poo poo, the amount of sideways and smoke coming out of the hoss in that second launch, not to mention the bizarro burnout wheelie effect is astounding.

Too bad it's so loving heavy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh, loving advrider has a DR650 thread that is at this time, two thousand and sixty pages

I'm on page 50 and I know I'm going to wind up going through the whole thing, since I'm so hot for DR650's right now.

Dudes are talking about how they're ditching their BMW's and KTM's for DR650's :psypop: I knew they were capable bikes, but I never knew it was like that.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 26, 2010

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Bob Morales posted:

BOSS HOSS

vs snowmobile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nc-9BMPMY

:psyduck: Doesn't asphalt just shred the skis?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sloppy posted:

:psyduck: Doesn't asphalt just shred the skis?

They run rollers, basically, rollerblade wheels with really nice bearings set up on short skis.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Buy an MT-01.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This was in the related videos to the Boss Hoss vs snowmobile video and even though it's probably been posted a few times already, I felt it deserved a repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGzM1YgyN6c

It just picks up the front wheel so effortlessly at high speed like it's no big deal. Im a bit torn on the whole ghostrider thing. On one hand, acting like that on public roads gives all riders a bad rep, but you've got to admire his skills and sheer testicular fortitude.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I prefer his Gixxer, it's a drat tasty bit of kit. WP everything, BSTs, ISR brakes, all good poo poo.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
Random question:

Where did the bobber/chopper look originate? What is the advantage of it? Is it strictly a cosmetic idea or did it come about as a result of a technical need? Personally I think some bobbers look pretty badass but the whole chopper fad is lost on me. Does anyone dig choppers? Can you comment on their appeal? Not looking to bash anyone's taste, just genuinely curious.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ohwandernearer posted:

Random question:

Where did the bobber/chopper look originate? What is the advantage of it? Is it strictly a cosmetic idea or did it come about as a result of a technical need? Personally I think some bobbers look pretty badass but the whole chopper fad is lost on me. Does anyone dig choppers? Can you comment on their appeal? Not looking to bash anyone's taste, just genuinely curious.

They originally removed all the parts to make it looked cool, partly because it was the opposite bikes with tons of lights, bags, huge fenders. Something your dad wouldn't ride, in a way.

Plus with all those parts taken off, there's less parts to weigh your bike down. Not to mention it's cheaper and easier to just remove damaged parts instead of repairing or replacing them.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

They originally removed all the parts to make it looked cool, partly because it was the opposite bikes with tons of lights, bags, huge fenders. Something your dad wouldn't ride, in a way.

Plus with all those parts taken off, there's less parts to weigh your bike down. Not to mention it's cheaper and easier to just remove damaged parts instead of repairing or replacing them.

I guess I should have been more specific. I love the naked-bike phenomenon. I ride a bonneville and drool over nakedized goldwings. I am more specifically talking about the posture/angles/elongated fork/ape hangers phenomenon. That is what I am confused about.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

This was in the related videos to the Boss Hoss vs snowmobile video and even though it's probably been posted a few times already, I felt it deserved a repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGzM1YgyN6c

It just picks up the front wheel so effortlessly at high speed like it's no big deal. Im a bit torn on the whole ghostrider thing. On one hand, acting like that on public roads gives all riders a bad rep, but you've got to admire his skills and sheer testicular fortitude.

I don't particularly approve of ghost rider from a good citizen standpoint, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy what he does. He's a phenomenally skilled rider, and I love watching people exploit the real capabilities of a motorcycle. Plus, it's awesome to see a turboed busa that's not a garage or strip queen, he rides the gently caress out of that thing.

ohwandernearer posted:

Random question:

The OG choppers/bobbers started back when the GIs were getting back from WW2. It was a way of making your bikes faster/handle better, as Bob mentioned. The "new scene", raked out chopper/bobbers are built off the Easy Rider mythos more than anything else.

The Wiki article on it is actually pretty good.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

ohwandernearer posted:

] I ride a bonneville and drool over nakedized goldwings. ]

Valkaries?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ohwandernearer posted:

I guess I should have been more specific. I love the naked-bike phenomenon. I ride a bonneville and drool over nakedized goldwings. I am more specifically talking about the posture/angles/elongated fork/ape hangers phenomenon. That is what I am confused about.

As Z3n said, the big rake/apehanger thing has mostly sprung out of Easy Rider. There is no real advantage to it, performance-wise, which makes them much different than bobbers. Original bobbers were of course a style thing, but there was a performance mentality behind it as well, as less weight=faster.

Modern bobbers are 100% style-driven these days.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've also read that the bobber name came from "bobbing" the stock fenders, or trimming away extra metal from those huge harley fenders. Calling it a bob was a reference to the shorter women's haircut that was popular then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Buy an MT-01.

mumbai is like this whole other country.