Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a powerful frown
Jan 31, 2005

awesome-express posted:

Both cars are US imports. Still needed to apply stuff like side-mounted turn signals in order to pass EU registration though. It's all perfectly legal, just takes some time to get the paperwork going.

why not just get a rangerover? it is better than both of those.....

...by 4... by far???

no I think I've mucked it up

best for buy four by far? by 4??

e: it's better OFFROAD.

a powerful frown fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Because Range Rovers are ugly. :colbert:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

awesome-express posted:

Both cars are US imports. Still needed to apply stuff like side-mounted turn signals in order to pass EU registration though. It's all perfectly legal, just takes some time to get the paperwork going.

Are you a native lithuanian? I once spent an evening in downtown Vilnius going about 200km/h in a Jaguar XJR, though I wasn't the one driving. An interesting experience.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Are you a native lithuanian? I once spent an evening in downtown Vilnius going about 200km/h in a Jaguar XJR, though I wasn't the one driving. An interesting experience.

Nope, not native, been living here for a long time though.

Oh and the guy driving is an idiot that wanted to show off. The police are cracking down on speeding like there's no tomorrow. Plus how can you achieve those speeds on the narrow city center streets that are made of cobblestone? I hope you slapped that guy unconscious.

EDIT:

Bwahaha look at what the mailman just brought in

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 27, 2010

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
Well I was in an accident and my 08 WRX was totaled -

The good news is I was able to upgrade to what I wanted to begin with (The STI wagon wasn't out when I got mine and it couldn't wait).

2010 STI Special Edition.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
drat. That doesn't look like much to total a car that new.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Ziploc posted:

Every body piece forward of the firewall needs to be replaced, based on that one picture. If he managed to push a frame rail into the valvecover, that could turn into a new engine assembly pretty quick. Then you've got new HID assemblies which aren't cheap, new AC compressor and system charge and check (plus new hard lines), new radiator... I can't see the wheel but I'm guessing that's damaged, plus all the left side suspension. Once again, if they did it right, the impact could have damaged the steering rack too. Then we move to the interior, with an impact like that I could imagine an airbag or two going off.
Add up OEM prices for all those parts, plus all the labor to install them (lots of drilling, welding, and time on the frame rig) plus body shop hours to color match, prep and paint the body stuff. That comes out to a pretty penny. Figure in the insurance company paying for a rental car while all this is done, I'm sure they'd rather just buy him a car and move on.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

ab0z posted:

Every body piece forward of the firewall needs to be replaced, based on that one picture. If he managed to push a frame rail into the valvecover, that could turn into a new engine assembly pretty quick. Then you've got new HID assemblies which aren't cheap, new AC compressor and system charge and check (plus new hard lines), new radiator... I can't see the wheel but I'm guessing that's damaged, plus all the left side suspension. Once again, if they did it right, the impact could have damaged the steering rack too. Then we move to the interior, with an impact like that I could imagine an airbag or two going off.
Add up OEM prices for all those parts, plus all the labor to install them (lots of drilling, welding, and time on the frame rig) plus body shop hours to color match, prep and paint the body stuff. That comes out to a pretty penny. Figure in the insurance company paying for a rental car while all this is done, I'm sure they'd rather just buy him a car and move on.

Yup, this is basically correct. The entire front end of the car needed to be replaced short of the Engine itself, and there was some questioning the integrity of the engine due to damage on the timing belt and the lower pulley for it. Total repair bill was 15k Salvage bid was 6k, factor in another 10-15% of "gotchas" during the repair process and it exceeded the ACV of the car.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

awesome-express posted:

And yes, the Jeep is not covered in five layers of mud, I like it clean. :smug:

You're in Lithuania? Didn't expect that.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Why's that? It's not some backwards-rear end commie state that people expect it to be.

Might be a re-post, but here's mah first car (the blue one).

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 29, 2010

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

awesome-express posted:

Why's that? It's not some backwards-rear end commie state that people expect it to be.

Might be a re-post, but here's mah first car (the blue one).

Cool cars, not a fan of wheels on both of them.

The W124 Coupes still look great, even though they are over 20 years old.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
A picture I took of my old truck in its prime. Sadly, I don't have it anymore.

Click here for the full 800x531 image.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
r33 skyline gtst

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nismo wheels?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Ziploc posted:

HIDs + Airbag deployment + Pretensioner Seatbelts + body distortion on the crumple zones = Cars really easy to total these days.

Dont forget as well, an insurance company will total a car if repairs are around 75% of its book value.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

My 1993 Toyota MR2 NA, which is my fun car, and my 1995 Toyota Previa LE/SC, which is my hauling buddies car. And yes, this picture is of my actual cars.

http://shadowblast101.deviantart.com/art/Mr2-Vs-Previa-In-Space-162578221

For those who don't know, the Toyota Previa LE/SC is a mid engined, Rear wheel drive straight four minivan with a supercharger. It whistles like a mad man, and I installed a boost gauge just because I could.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have a supercharger from a Previa for my LeMons car, too bad the All-Trac S/C didn't come in stick. Would have been a turbo short of a Lancia Delta S4.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Mighty Horse posted:

Dont forget as well, an insurance company will total a car if repairs are around 75% of its book value.

Some states will to. If repairs are 75% of value in NC it's an automatic mandatory total. I was $400 away from that with this.

[edit]

Sorry the filesize was misleading, thought that was a lot smaller.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rogue Helicopter Pilot
Jul 22, 2005
WORDS GO HERE
My two gay little cars:

01 Holden Barina

And it's very recently acquired butt buddy: 04 MX-5 SE (or Mazdaspeed Miata)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rogue Helicopter Pilot posted:

My two gay little cars:

01 Holden Barina

Does that mean you got the turbocharged model?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rogue Helicopter Pilot posted:

My two gay little cars:

01 Holden Barina

I do hope you are female with those vehicle selections. Especially the first one.

winstor
Sep 20, 2009

A5H posted:

Nismo wheels?

I'd say most likely Drift Teks.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

Parking HARD.

Mk4 is mine, Mk1 Jetta and Mk1 Cabby belong to my roommates.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
I took a cool pic of my car and this observation tower on Topsail island yesterday:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The Whip

2004 Focus ZX5. I love it and can't wait for the new Focus hatchback to come out next year.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
2002 Ferrari 360 Spider.

Love it. Single greatest thing I have owned.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Xeno posted:

2002 Ferrari 360 Spider.

Well ... considering that your last car was a Maserati :v: Good choice on getting rid of it and getting the 360 though.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!

Ms. Manchair posted:

Meep Meep :3:

This reminds me of the end of Requiem for a Dream.

Sweet rear end Ferrari though.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xeno posted:

2002 Ferrari 360 Spider.

Niiiiiiiiiiiice. Are these an electric folding roof? Or is it something you've got fold out yourself? Alos, manual or F1?

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Niiiiiiiiiiiice. Are these an electric folding roof? Or is it something you've got fold out yourself? Alos, manual or F1?
Electric roof, manual. I didn't really have a preference for F1 or manual. It has a tubi exhaust so it's drat loud!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xeno posted:

It has a tubi exhaust so it's drat loud!

Video please.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Video please.

Echoing this!

a powerful frown
Jan 31, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Video please.

yes, this. Fantastic car!! we need a video

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

FedEx posted:

yes, this. Fantastic car!! we need a video
Will do, although it's currently having the clutch release bearing replaced under warranty after one day of ownership. :/

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Xeno posted:

Will do, although it's currently having the clutch release bearing replaced under warranty after one day of ownership. :/

You....didn't give the clutch a try before buying it?

Oh wait, look who it is. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Throatwarbler posted:

Didn't the Maserati have clutch problems, too?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

meatpimp posted:

Didn't the Maserati have clutch problems, too?

Yeah, which he didn't know about because he didn't actually test drive it before buying.

I wish I were as awesome as Xeno.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Heh, what's wrong with buying a £50k exotic without test driving it? :D Seriously though, it had a PDI, the clutch has less than 600 miles on it, it's just an unfortunate mechanical failure that the warranty will cover.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I just think it's funny that the plate is blanked out on his first set of pictures, but not the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
First pictures are from the advert, not mine :) And that plate belongs to the seller, just waiting for the DVLA paperwork to put it back to it's original plate, then mine can go on.