Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Bloody hell good thing he was wearing a helmet judging by the state of his lid, how did his bike fair?

Shimrod's from Queensland, in Australia if I remember correctly; we legally have to wear a helmet at all times (even on push bikes).

I remember that tube he's inhaling, too. It's for pain. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I love rashed helmet pics

Me too. That piece of lexan would have been your face, bro!

I can't find it now, but a while back someone posted a 3D CT scan of the bones in some dude's face after he crashed at high speed with no helmet. His "jaw" was just kind of a cloud of loosely connected bone shards :gonk:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Here's that scan. http://www.flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2450912496

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Here is one of my favorite helmets:

It lasted under a month before I did this to it my first race weekend:

You can see that I didn't slide on the visor all that much...just enough to thrash the surface finish and rip the visor off:

These scrapes took place after the visor went it's own way:

This is from approximately 95mph in one of the fastest corner exits at Buttonwillow. I turned in too early because I'd just been passed by someone else (Peter Lenz, RIP :( ) and ran off the curbing at corner exit. Front end dug in in the soft dirt and I went headfirst through the windshield and did a 95mph headslide and then tumbled head over heels to a stop. Also shattered the heel on my daytonas:

It was difficult to walk for a few days, but no broken bones, no ER visit, no concussion. The bike wasn't that thrashed, even. My friends duct taped over the holes in the stretch panels on my leathers, I borrowed some parts to get my bike back up and running, and went out on my first race 2 hours later. So...good gear is worth it's weight in gold.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Butbutbut... mah freedom!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Never saw the pics to the crash. drat. Glad I went with the Evo Sports instead of the Roadstars :stonk:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Haven't seen his bike yet, ill throw up some pics of it when I can.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Holy poo poo. Is that a dead person? His whole fuckin' face is broken.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Considering they've been intubated, probably not. Recovery for that would be an absolute loving nightmare, though. IIRC if you break a jaw that badly, you get it wired almost shut for n weeks while it heals, with only a cm gap between your teeth. Better hope the pain meds don't make you puke! And that's just the jaw, never mind the front of the face... :unsmigghh:

That flickr account has another less intense motorcycle accident CT scan: http://www.flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2445605281/in/photostream/

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Bike pics! It's actually not too bad :O

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Jesus Christ! Those scans are horrific, I'd love to be able to understand the mentality of people that wear half face / brain-buckets.

Edit:

Wow, his bike seems to have got off almost as lucky as your friend did.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well, I crashed my ZRX last night.

I wish I could say it was because of POWAAAA or tyres or what have you, but it wasn't. I was riding home from work at about 6:30pm so it was fully dark but it was still essentially rush-hour traffic on the motorway. I was doing about 70km/h being super extra careful and not riding like a dong at all because of how heavy the traffic was and because I did some stupid poo poo on the way to work and didn't want to tempt fate. The irony is not lost on me.

I went to change lanes from the center lane to the fast lane in a totally normal and sedate manner, and it turns out (i found out later) that there is an immense diesel slick on that very patch of lane. As soon as I entered the lane the front just instantly lowsided and I slid on my back for a few meters with the bike skidding off ahead of me. It's a testament to how slowly I was going that there is no damage to my gear at all, I just have a small hole in my backpack.

Turns out crash bungs are worth their weight in gold, mine wore halfway through before the engine cover (it landed on the left side thank gently caress) started getting grazed up. The bikini fairing and instrument housing are toast, the clutch lever is entirely usable but the end knob bit is worn halfway through. My lovely aftermarket bars look like someone chopped the last inch off with an angle grinder, and there is a chipless dent on the tank where the bars were rammed into it.

Afterward someone helped me pick it up and I rode it to a safe area. A cop showed up and after I sat in his car giving him a report and talking poo poo about bikes for about half an hour, a crew showed up with a spill kit, cordoned off the lane and started cleaning it up so there's that I guess.

I don't know what I could have done differently aside from just not being there at all, and it seems incredibly unfair that my brand new (to me) shiny fantastic bike is now scarred up to the tune of several hundred dollars just from blind bad luck. I haven't learned anything, I don't see how I could at all change my riding or technique or whatever to avoid this happening again because it was night time and the spill was impossible to see. So I dunno.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The combined jealousy of pretty much the entire of CA somehow altered the very fabric of reality to guide you to that diesel spill.

Sorry you dinged up your sweet 'rex, glad its not too serious. Time for a woodcraft engine cover and even fancier bars. Forced upgrade mate, nothing you can do about it ;)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that. :( Honestly it does sound like one of those situations where it really wasn't something you could do. I've nearly slipped walking over diesel and I can't count how many times I've narrowly avoided tire belts at night on the freeway just by turning into another lane a millisecond earlier or later. (and one time I poo poo you not a whole loving tire with hubcap was rolling in front of me perpendicular to the freeway I mean Jesus Christ what the gently caress California)

I'm just glad you're safe and the damage was minimal!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Engine cover and bars aren't that a big deal, and the bikini fairing is fixable I think. My main concern is the tank, is it possible to get a dent out of a tank paintlessly? Or would I have to shell out to get the entire thing re-painted?

edit: it's about an inch across and only a couple of millimeters deep, there is no paint damage at all but it looks bloody unsightly.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

a PDR dude should be able to massage that out from inside no problem.

Jerky Power
Oct 20, 2003

The power of jerky harnessed to free those oppressed by vegetables.
Popped my crash cherry today, not overly excited about that fact. I was coming up to a stop light with about 4 cars at it. I began braking at 60 km/h I do not know what was on the road but holy hell can you go down fast from a slick surface. I tumbled over the bars and rolled bit, my bike slid all the way up to the cars smashing into one. I lay on the road for a few seconds making sure I don't have any obvious pain then I hop up. The lady my bike hit comes running out crying hysterically, I had to calm her down and assure her I'm not going to die suddenly. Thank you full gear saving me from a rashy afternoon.

Bike damage: Stator cover, upper faring, right and left handlebar, dented tank, and possibly more.

Since I was going to be getting a new bike in a few months and turn this one into a track beater, I'm a little giddy. New toy time!

Pictures!

Jerky Power fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 5, 2013

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Xovaan posted:

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that. :( Honestly it does sound like one of those situations where it really wasn't something you could do. I've nearly slipped walking over diesel and I can't count how many times I've narrowly avoided tire belts at night on the freeway just by turning into another lane a millisecond earlier or later. (and one time I poo poo you not a whole loving tire with hubcap was rolling in front of me perpendicular to the freeway I mean Jesus Christ what the gently caress California)

I'm just glad you're safe and the damage was minimal!

No poo poo! I have had about a million of those almosts too.
One night going up the 805 on from a friends house down in National City I, going about 70mph or so, change lanes to go around a slightly slower car. Just as I get up to his rear bumper he hits a loving mattress that had been lying in the middle of the freeway.
I whip my head over and it's standing on end close enough for me to poke if I had thought about it. If I had stayed in the slow lane I would have crashed hard (or soft depending upon if I landed on the mattress or not).

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
This morning I parked my bike in a petrol station, went inside and drew money to top her up, walked back out and standing next to her, putting my tank bag back on, I felt the world lurch.
My immediate thought was "did I accidentally cause the bike to stall and bounce forward?" followed by "ugh, my keys are digging into my side. hmmm."

Some bugger had decided to reverse at speed without checking his rear-view mirror, slap into me and my speed triple.

No major damage to me, I was in full gear and the only things are a niggling stiffness in my neck and a sore knee. My poor bike though took the brunt, the rear cowling is damaged, rear brake lever bent, rash on some components and he broke the steering lock so I couldn't turn her on to see if there was anything else complaining. when I was maneuvering it to put it on the trailer, the chain felt squishy, so I don't know if there is internal damage either.

He is, of course, uninsured and wasn't especially fazed by the fact that he'd just run me over, but to his credit he didn't drive off, and he's offered to pay whatever excess my insurance is going to charge. I just can't fathom how you'd floor the accelerator in reverse, and not check your rearview mirror.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Because he's dumb enough to not have insurance.

Also, take down his plate and tell the cops. Do you have uninsured driver compensation on your plan? I doubt you'll get any money out of him. Take pictures and worse comes to worst you could take him to small claims.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Oh, I did. I have a fully comprehensive insurance, which includes third party and uninsured driver compensation, so I'm not too fussed. I also confirmed that it's my insurance, and not me that will be getting the money out of him, so that's a big relief. Still, I'm forced to use my car for the next few weeks which grates me terribly.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
From the sounds of it you're in Britain, so they'll probably just end up claiming it through the Motor Insurers Bureau (group the insurers set up, they cover the damages incurred by uninsured/untraced drivers out of a big pot they all pay into). Good job you've got the uninsured cover, you might have had to do that yourself and I can't imagine it's an easy process.

Hate irresponsible little shits like that though. Did he get lifted at the scene or did he drive off?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

How can someone not be bothered by the fact they just crashed into someone O.o

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
It's only a bike.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

sildargod posted:

Oh, I did. I have a fully comprehensive insurance, which includes third party and uninsured driver compensation, so I'm not too fussed. I also confirmed that it's my insurance, and not me that will be getting the money out of him, so that's a big relief. Still, I'm forced to use my car for the next few weeks which grates me terribly.

Won't your premium increase as a result of claiming though?

It does grate on me a bit that he (and you) are so blase about him having no insurance. Unless he was willing to stump up for the full amount I would have told the police. Insurance is mandatory for the benefit of third parties if they get mangled in an accident, not for the sole benefit of the driver.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
mootmoot

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
It's unfortunately very common for people to drive uninsured in South Africa, there is a persistent attitude of "oh, it'll never happen to me" that exists through a scarily large percentage of the population. It's a requirement to have insurance if you want to finance a vehicle, but if you've bought it cash, it's yours and you are under no obligation to insure it, other people be damned. My premium will increase, but I'm going to fight that because this was in no way my fault, and I'm already paying a higher premium than I should, so I have some bargaining power.

He of course drove off, his rear bumper was cracked, but given the general attitude of nonchalance I doubt that bothers him overly much. South Africa has some very strange cultural habits and a strong disregard for other people. We regularly have fatal pedestrian accidents because it's common for pedestrians to wander between moving cars and across fast-moving highways. There are high risk spots on our major roads where there is a continuous stream of people running across the highway while a overpass is less than 100m away. I would love to know how our figures stack up against the rest of the world, but I'm sure we would rank among the most careless of nations when it comes to transport.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm glad basic insurance is mandatory here. Basic insurance covers any and all damage you cause to other people or vehicles (but not your own). A vehicle without basic insurance isn't road legal, and can be impounded if you're found out driving it.

Nanny state and all that; since evidence suggests that given the chance people will be lazy, cheap and retarded I think this way is better.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm glad basic insurance is mandatory here. Basic insurance covers any and all damage you cause to other people or vehicles (but not your own). A vehicle without basic insurance isn't road legal, and can be impounded if you're found out driving it.

Nanny state and all that; since evidence suggests that given the chance people will be lazy, cheap and retarded I think this way is better.

It's extra fun when you get a bill from Trafikförsäkringsföreningen for 1000 USD eqv because your insurance company forgot to tell the state registry that you have, in fact, insured your bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

mootmoot

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

THE GREATEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN

I love it.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Shimrod posted:

How can someone not be bothered by the fact they just crashed into someone O.o

You'd be surprised. When my friend got into his wreck I hauled rear end to the crash site and got there as they were loading him into the ambulance. The jackass that hit him was standing there with his license plate in his hand laughing about it. Not like, side splitting laughter, but he seemed to somehow find it amusing that he almost killed someone.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

spixxor posted:

You'd be surprised. When my friend got into his wreck I hauled rear end to the crash site and got there as they were loading him into the ambulance. The jackass that hit him was standing there with his license plate in his hand laughing about it. Not like, side splitting laughter, but he seemed to somehow find it amusing that he almost killed someone.

Inappropriate laughter is often a symptom of shock.

South Africa, though, I've heard tales up to stuff like people mounting flamethrowers under their doors to foil would-be carjackers. It sounds like a bizarre place.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

Inappropriate laughter is often a symptom of shock.

South Africa, though, I've heard tales up to stuff like people mounting flamethrowers under their doors to foil would-be carjackers. It sounds like a bizarre place.

That was something that someone pioneered here, but it wasn't particularly effective because the shock often escalated a carjacking into attempted murder. You don't toy around with someone who is waving a loaded gun at you and has absolutely no compunctions about shooting you if you upset him in any way.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

sildargod posted:

That was something that someone pioneered here, but it wasn't particularly effective because the shock often escalated a carjacking into attempted murder. You don't toy around with someone who is waving a loaded gun at you and has absolutely no compunctions about shooting you if you upset him in any way.

I remember seeing a pretty sweet E36 BMW with underslung sidemount flamethrowers, but the explanation given was that it was for mob events, i.e. unpopular politicians/warlords/drug kingpins getting swarmed by large crowds while navigating urban areas. Makes more (hosed-up) sense if they're only armed with fists.

taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002
Unfortunately, had my first crash today on my Ninja 1000 on this road: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.114574,-77.841032&hl=en&ll=39.114595,-77.839991&spn=0.003159,0.006502&num=1&t=m&z=18&iwloc=A

First time on this road, the the tight radius of that hairpin caught me completely off guard even though in hindsight there were plenty of warning signs indicating this would not be a typical bend. Went into the turn going a bit too fast and took an awful line which resulted in me going wide and off the shoulder into a grassy area (luckily). Bike has a broken left mirror, scratches to the front and lower cowlings, scratched exhaust, and the shift lever fell off which prevented me from riding it home.

My gear held up pretty well:
Shoei Qwest helmet: I don't think this actually touched the ground, it seems OK. Cant find any scratches.
Icon Accelerant jacket: I got the "stealth" version of this on closeout from Revzilla. I know some CA'ers bash on Icon but it held up well and doesn't even look that worse for wear. I felt the impact on my elbow/shoulder and the armor did its job.
Levi jeans: I'm pretty sure if I had landed on asphalt rather than the grassed shoulder I'd have a decent amount of rash. As it is now just my left knee is scratched up.
Alpinestar SP-2 gloves: Out of everything my hands actually feel the most sore and theres a few cuts and scratches but these gloves held up pretty well though one of the finger seams did fall apart. Will need to replace these.

I did grab crash pics at the scene on my phone but I somehow managed to have my finger blocking half the shot in all of them :(

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

taketheshot posted:

Icon Accelerant jacket: I got the "stealth" version of this on closeout from Revzilla. I know some CA'ers bash on Icon but it held up well and doesn't even look that worse for wear. I felt the impact on my elbow/shoulder and the armor did its job.

I think most of the hate comes from their habit of pricing things a bit high based on their brand image; the gear itself isn't terrible.

Good to hear you're all right though, sounds like it was as uneventful as it could have been.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

taketheshot posted:

I did grab crash pics at the scene on my phone but I somehow managed to have my finger blocking half the shot in all of them :(

These photos brought to you by: post-accident shock!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AncientTV posted:

I think most of the hate comes from their habit of pricing things a bit high based on their brand image; the gear itself isn't terrible.

Good to hear you're all right though, sounds like it was as uneventful as it could have been.

They far everything out to the lowest bidder so their gear is really inconsistent. My buddy has a really nice jacket from them.

Glad you're ok! In the future, some kneeguards you can toss under jeans can be a real knee saver in street crashes. I like the thor impact child's guards because they fit adults for street riding nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Ah, I thought that was just their helmets. I had no idea it extended to the rest of their gear.

• Locked thread