Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

And while spaceships of course don't actually exist they are common enough in scifi that the concept should be familiar to a reader of the genre,
I think this is a pretty bad symptom of poor science fiction writing, to allow the reader to simply default to a generic imagery by familiarity with existing genre works (the same way most novels of this kind default to genre cliches). A lot of the power of science fiction in general comes from its imagery, so I find this sort of basic descriptive writing to be more important to story than the exact weight of a ship, "details about when important systems blow up" and other nerdy minutiae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Unless your ship is extra cool, you can probably get away with just telling me if the engines are on the back or nacelles, plus what kinda shape it resembles. Maybe tell me if it rotates to make gravity, if it makes a difference.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

I just hated growing up and reading the pulp novels where the cover art had nothing in common with the descriptions in the books. Even early HH had these star destroyer looking things where every book mentioned but didn't describe the "double hammerhead" inherent in each ship design

Hah! I grew up with cover art looking like it was made from people under drugs. (And later I learned the old guy hammering out all those old covers from my favourite SF-series actually really looked like he was constantly high. I have to look if there's a picture of him in that huge white special commemorative book I have. He was practically a walking old artist cliché.)

Ironically though, it always looked at least a bit like what was in the books, sometimes he even got rather close.

Darkrenown posted:

Do note that the ships are described, mostly in their capabilities and what they are doing, it's just their visual description which is not detailed. We're told their size, weight, types of weapons and armour, details about their roles and design philosophy, important systems, details about when said important systems blow up, etc.

And while spaceships of course don't actually exist they are common enough in scifi that the concept should be familiar to a reader of the genre, much like anyone reading about WWII battles probably knows in general what a tank looks like - but they don't need to know the exact height or the number of roadwheels on a Panther tank to read about the battle of Kursk. I guess if the starfire books are your first contact with the concept of a spaceships you might be slightly puzzled, but even then warships are certainly a real world thing and the reader should be able to make the leap from spaceships to [war]ships, but in space. How the ship looks only matters if it affects how the battles are fought, e.g. in the Honor books most ships have their weapons on the broadsides and their firing arcs and ability to maneuver in formation are limited by their grav wedges - plus they are invulnerable to weaponsfire from above or below and slighly protected to the sides but not at all at the front or rear, this is relevant as it greatly affects the battles, but in starfire the ships have a basically magic reactionless drive and are pretty agile, so where exactly their weapons are placed never matter. Fleets are made up of hundreds of ships and they explode by the dozen, the exact shape of the hull is never important.

See, here I have to disagree completely. But this is probably because of cultural influence -I grew up with SF where visual description and characters were considered more important like irrelevant fluff like all that numerical stuff. We still got super-detailed line-drawings of the spaceships, but that was more a "because we can"-issue. If you wanted to know how many impulse-cannons an Ultraschlachtschiff like the Crest IV had, you could look up the line-drawings, but in the stories itself what the people onboard were doing was more relevant.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world got pulp books so lazily made multiple books had their covers recycled from other books. Many SF-books I've only lend from libraries kind of blend together in my head because of this, some of those I never found again later since I only remember bits and pieces from the plot and the cover, but not the title.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

Unless your ship is extra cool, you can probably get away with just telling me if the engines are on the back or nacelles, plus what kinda shape it resembles. Maybe tell me if it rotates to make gravity, if it makes a difference.

And why should your ships not be extra cool?

C'mon, this is sci-fi. Let's bring the sense of wonder.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Libluini posted:

If you wanted to know how many impulse-cannons an Ultraschlachtschiff like the Crest IV had
Only, what, eight more months until "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" comes out? drat, I'm looking forward to it!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Khizan posted:

David Drake's Hammer's Slammers books are pretty excellent in terms of military science fiction, though they're about a ground-based mercenary company and not space opera in any fashion. He's a Baen author, which is usually a bad sign, but he's also a Vietnam veteran who saw actual combat and it shows; his writing is definitely not "rah rah Space America gently caress Yeah Kill all Space Browns!!".

If you look him up in the Baen Free Library he's got a couple of military science fiction books available there for free. The Tank Lords is one of the Hammer's Slammers books. Redliners and Seas of Venus are standalones. They're a pretty good sample of his writing, too, so if they don't appeal you can pretty much write him off.

Drake is more why Baen has a rep forMilSF than the other way around. He's been in the business since long before pst of Baen's authors and pretty much defined the genre.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Drake is more why Baen has a rep forMilSF than the other way around. He's been in the business since long before pst of Baen's authors and pretty much defined the genre.

David drake is probably the best milsf writer, and without being a terrible person like most of the other milsf writers.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

He's always seemed to have this attitude of "I have seen too much terrible poo poo to want to actively go out and make more terrible poo poo" to me.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've been reading Vacuum Diagrams and really digging it (even if the science goes way over my head some of the time). I haven't read any of the Xeelee books before but after this it's very tempting to get my hands on books like Ring and Raft after getting an intriguing glance into an element of those stories.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Only, what, eight more months until "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" comes out? drat, I'm looking forward to it!

Nice to know, though I don't know what anime from the 80s has to do with German SF from the 60s? :confused:

An example from old Perry Rhodan cover artist Johnny Bruck: He made most of the early covers.

And less fashist and more drug-induced looking. From a story-arc several years later, still in the 60s.

Later on the publisher re-released the old crap in large silvery hardcovers with old errors corrected and some of the more batshit-crazy stuff like the main protagonist using a magic stola to get superpowers retconned out of existence.

Are there giant mice in Legend of the Galactic Heroes? If yes, I may take a look some time. :v:

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Libluini posted:

Nice to know, though I don't know what anime from the 80s has to do with German SF from the 60s? :confused:
Oh, I thought that's what you were talking about. I forgot that Perry Rhodan was German. (All the Empire battleships in LoGH have Germanic names.)

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I'm halfway through Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (I know, I know, I'm really late to it) and really enjoying it. The prose is incredibly strong and propulsive, especially for a debut novel, and the underlying theme of identity and individuality is interesting. My only complaint is that the plotline taking place in the past starts out pretty drat slow. Also, there are a lot of Radaachi words being dropped where the context is a little unclear. For example:

quote:

I had never lost the knowledge of my ancillaries, twenty-bodied One Amaat, One Toren, One Etrepa, One Bo, and Two Esk, hands and feet for serving those officers, voices to speak to them.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Those are basically like radio alphabet (they're actually names of the Radaachi deities). E.g. 'Easy Company'. Amaat, Toren, Bo, etc. are variables used for the different units in the military structure of a ship. So when you have a "Bo Lieutenant" it means the lieutenant of the Bo unit.

It's a matter of taste but I like figuring stuff from context over time as a I read a novel as long as it doesn't get in the way. Where it gets in your way probably varies between readers.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It has been a while since I read Ancillary Justice, so I may be off on a few details, but I'm pretty sure I have this right.

The main character is a ship AI who was capable of running specially modified human bodies in mass quantities, so all the soldiers on her ship are just extensions of her. Those bodies are called ancillaries and their names are basically their squad designation. One Amaat is first soldier of Amaat squad, Two Esk is the second soldier in Esk squad, etc.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Khizan posted:

It has been a while since I read Ancillary Justice, so I may be off on a few details, but I'm pretty sure I have this right.

The main character is a ship AI who was capable of running specially modified human bodies in mass quantities, so all the soldiers on her ship are just extensions of her. Those bodies are called ancillaries and their names are basically their squad designation. One Amaat is first soldier of Amaat squad, Two Esk is the second soldier in Esk squad, etc.
One the other hand, it's said that One Esk is an ancillary unit deployed to the city that has multiple troops in it.

I wasn't sure if there's a difference between One Amaat, One Esk, etc.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Maybe it was more like One Esk was the first subunit of the Esk unit? It's been a while since I read it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Isn't there some flexibility as to how the AI spreads itself out? I was remembering that when One Esk comes back to the ship it mentions something about not needing so many bodies and so they were mostly put back into storage. I got the sense that while One Esk was deployed on the planet it was operating mostly as an autonomous entity consisting of those units in that location rather than as part of the ship's whole but then when returned it became essentially an extension of the ship (maybe due to issues of lag?). I guess it is confusing that it doesn't end up with 10 Esk, 11 Esk, etc and instead they are all 1 Esk.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
So I'm 80 pages into The Dragon Never Sleeps and it's just an unstoppable tide of unexplained jargon... I feel like I'm joy going to understand anything until I finish the book and reread it.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Khizan posted:

One Amaat is first soldier of Amaat squad, Two Esk is the second soldier in Esk squad, etc.
Actually I think it's more like the whole unit designation, like "First Armored Brigade", "Third Infantry Regiment", that sort of thing. So "twenty-bodied One Amaat" is the first unit of the Amaat type, and there are twenty people in it. (to the extent that any of them could be called "people", of course.)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Expanse #4 isn't perfect but its a return to form. I'd recommend skipping Expanse #3 entirely.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Actually I think it's more like the whole unit designation, like "First Armored Brigade", "Third Infantry Regiment", that sort of thing. So "twenty-bodied One Amaat" is the first unit of the Amaat type, and there are twenty people in it. (to the extent that any of them could be called "people", of course.)

No, Breq is specifically Justice of Toren One Esk, the first of the Esk unit.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

Isn't there some flexibility as to how the AI spreads itself out? I was remembering that when One Esk comes back to the ship it mentions something about not needing so many bodies and so they were mostly put back into storage.

I'm pretty sure this is because she doesn't have duties that require so many bodies and so most of them go back into stasis to prevent wear and tear.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Baloogan posted:

Expanse #4 isn't perfect but its a return to form. I'd recommend skipping Expanse #3 entirely.

What's the complaints on 3? I'm only 25% in but so far it seems like it's as good as the first 25% of 1. Holden just met the Marines on the station.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really wouldn't want to spoil it for you if you are enjoying it. The expanse series is awesome :3:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Khizan posted:

I'm pretty sure this is because she doesn't have duties that require so many bodies and so most of them go back into stasis to prevent wear and tear.

Yeah but are the extra bodies Esk 10-20 or are they multiple One Esk? Kinda weird then what One Esk is designating. Is every Esk assigned to a human officer? Is it just a reference to which human officer they are assigned?

Hughlander posted:

What's the complaints on 3? I'm only 25% in but so far it seems like it's as good as the first 25% of 1. Holden just met the Marines on the station.

I dunno I enjoyed 3 more than 4. 3 had some weaker side characters but the plot is solid and I enjoyed the rest of the characters well enough. 4's plot is mostly much weaker and it has a lot of really tedious characters. Haven't read 5 yet but that one has been praised here. Even if 4 is my series low point it's still not a terrible book and the series is pretty great.

A big weakness both books share is that the Space Racism is handled worse than the other books and it's only getting less interesting as the books go on.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah but are the extra bodies Esk 10-20 or are they multiple One Esk? Kinda weird then what One Esk is designating. Is every Esk assigned to a human officer? Is it just a reference to which human officer they are assigned?

I just started a re-read of this, largely due to this conversation, and I'm pretty sure that "One Esk" is the first squad of the Esk group. Breq even mentions how the Seven Issa group was comprised of regular humans, but that their lieutenant sometimes just called individual members of it by "Seven Issa" instead of their actual names.

Neener
Apr 23, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Baloogan may have a perfectly valid complaint (or more), but if my anonymous recommendation means anything then definately read book #3. I liked it as much as the first two :)

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Shakugan posted:

You should look into the first two books of the Red Rising trilogy. While the first book is military sci-fi, it's not space based. The second book is though.

Both are fantastic, and have incredibly well done audiobooks available on Audible. Probably my favorite current sci-fi series, but don't take my word for it:

Red Rising on Goodreads: 4.2 with 41,000 votes.
Red Rising audiobook on Audible: 4.5 with 5,000 votes.
Golden Son on Goodreads: 4.5 with 20,000 votes.
Golden Son audiobook on Audible: 4.7 with 3600 votes.

It's basically Spartacus in space.

I finished The Dark Forest last week and decided to give Red Rising a try after seeing you recommend it. Burned through it in a couple days and I'm now about 1/3 through Golden Sun. Really awesome books. They definitely don't have the "mystery and awe factor" I usually look for in sci fi but holy poo poo does the author Pierce Brown known how to write a good page turning story. I haven't been this into a series since The Southern Reach earlier in the summer.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Is there much out there where Humanity is the Villain? I mean most sci fi has human villains, but the race as a whole?

Secondly what else out there is similar to The Damned by Alan Dean Foster? I.e. humanity is the most crazy badass alien race in the milieu?

Finally I've realized I don't see The Damned mentioned much as a book, it's pulp but its a great example of seeing a perspective of humanity as the warmongers of the universe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Washout posted:

Is there much out there where Humanity is the Villain? I mean most sci fi has human villains, but the race as a whole?

Secondly what else out there is similar to The Damned by Alan Dean Foster? I.e. humanity is the most crazy badass alien race in the milieu?

Finally I've realized I don't see The Damned mentioned much as a book, it's pulp but its a great example of seeing a perspective of humanity as the warmongers of the universe.

Old Man's War delves further into this as the series goes on, and really dismantles the Colonial Union's 'hard man doing hard things' justification for its atrocities.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah OMW definitely treads into the same place that Starship Troopers does, more quantity but less nuance.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Washout posted:

I vaguely remember a few short stories where the ***shocking twist*** is that the invading aliens crushing everything before them are human (and the viewpoint character(s) are not), but don't recall any names offhand. I can't think of any novels or series that do this, although I recall a few where humans are inadvertently a threat due to their alien mindset and the political implications of contact with them (Cherryh is fond of this in the Chanur and Foreigner books, but those aren't really space opera), or where one particular faction of humans are the villains even if others are friendly to or allied with the protagonists (Cook's Doomstalker trilogy).

quote:

Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata, where humanity is recruited by the (pacifistic) Galactic Federation as the only thing badass enough to fight off the invading Posleen.

Arguably Laumer's Bolo/Concordiat setting as well, although we only see fragments of that.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Washout posted:

Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis series sort of fits the bill, here. I suppose it depends on your point of view.

Either way, you should read it. It's good.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Washout posted:

It's a short story instead of a novel, but "All the Way Back" by Michael Shaara fits.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Washout posted:

Saberhagen's Berserker stories.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Stars, Won't You Hide Me? by Ben Bova, which for some reason I thought was a Joe Haldeman book.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Drakhoran posted:

Saberhagen's Berserker stories.

Eh...I guess you're technically correct but in the novels it's kinda made out to be a good thing as Solarian humans are the only species able to stand up against the machines. With humanity (and all life) being faced with extinction it's not really warmongering at that point but survival.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In the early Berserker stories, weren't the various human planets each specific analogues to 1500s European countries and the Berserkers analogs for the Ottomans?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Chairman Capone posted:

In the early Berserker stories, weren't the various human planets each specific analogues to 1500s European countries and the Berserkers analogs for the Ottomans?

I didn't recognize anything like that, but the timeline is so all over the place and there are so many authors that it would be easy to see something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I think someone said in either this or the SF/F thread that the newest book from the guy that did the Kresnov series has humanity as villains? I'll go look.

There we go. Looks like it's $2 for today and tomorrow? Not sure if that's a good sign.

• Locked thread