Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheMirage posted:

Juvenile Barn Swallows by justincook5376, on Flickr

These guys really wanted Mom's food.

Juvenile Barn Swallows by justincook5376, on Flickr

Sharper shot of the little guys

Juvenile Mourning Doves by justincook5376, on Flickr

Continuing the juvenile bird shots, here are some doves that parked themselves right outside my door. Mom and Dad were directly above in the tree.

gorgeous photos! The mourning doves look staged, lol! I really like the shouting barn swallows, especially with the bit of motion blur on the one's wing, lends some dynamism to the photo. Nice work! My partner has been planning on getting that 400mm 5.6 in a few weeks when we move back to Ontario, but of course the prices have all gone up quite a lot all of a sudden! Must be the exchange rate with the Yen or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

IMG_0873 by philip painter, on Flickr

IMG_0861 by philip painter, on Flickr

IMG_0860 by philip painter, on Flickr

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Decided to pull my gear out and start taking pictures again. I blame all of you. :butt:

Greenfinch (straight out of the camera)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
New camera arrived a couple of weeks ago but I haven't had much time to play.

GHO-July2014 1719 on Flickr

HouseFinch_July2014 1720 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Not the greatest shot, but this is my first daytime Long-eared Owl so I'll take what I can get:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Some courtship and parenting behavior from yesterday's White-tailed Kite filming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5GwdACKi0E
Heat distortion and shakiness from the wind were a bit of an issue for the closeup on the nest, but you can still make out the hatchling's head and wing. I'll have to go back on a colder day to get a clearer view of the little one.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

Not the greatest shot, but this is my first daytime Long-eared Owl so I'll take what I can get:

Its amazing how well he can blend into the tree even when you know hes there.

I stumbled on him the other day when I was at this pond with a lady friend; since I knew he would come back the next time I was there alone I waited.

I waited for this guy for about an hour...

Heron of 5 Rivers by t.humeston, on Flickr

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 20, 2014

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Taken about an hour ago. I seem to have a pair of red tails that enjoy my backyard.

Straight out of the camera

An "Art"

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
The drop of water was completely unexpected and a stroke of luck.

20140720 Flamingos 1_ by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Medieval Medic posted:

The drop of water was completely unexpected and a stroke of luck.

20140720 Flamingos 1_ by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

Awesome. I never knew flamingos had such murderous eyes.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sarah P. Duke Gardens in Durham, NC

Blue heron by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Came swooping in as I was leaving the spot. Not enough speed to catch him moving sharply, which breaks my heart. But he posed plenty well.

Black-necked swan by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Juvenile (adolescent?), I believe. There was a similar bird wading nearby with the same face but a long black neck that fit the description.

Mallard by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Not what I think of as a mallard, but the blue wing matches photos.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VendaGoat posted:

Taken about an hour ago. I seem to have a pair of red tails that enjoy my backyard.

Straight out of the camera

An "Art"

Dial back the art. You added a pretty heavy magenta cast to the image.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Moon Potato posted:

Some courtship and parenting behavior from yesterday's White-tailed Kite filming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5GwdACKi0E
Heat distortion and shakiness from the wind were a bit of an issue for the closeup on the nest, but you can still make out the hatchling's head and wing. I'll have to go back on a colder day to get a clearer view of the little one.

Super cool, these vids just keep getting better

Went to the Washington coast a couple of days ago to see if the shorebirds were moving through yet. There were some there but the weather turned lovely so the pics are kinda bleh

Black-bellied Plover by No Small Wave, on Flickr

Semipalmated Sandpiper by No Small Wave, on Flickr

Semipalmated Plover by No Small Wave, on Flickr

Dunlin by No Small Wave, on Flickr

Bonus Hammond's Flycatcher from southern Oregon

Hammond's Flycatcher by No Small Wave, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Thanks. That's a shot I've been trying to get for a long time - last year during breeding and nesting season, it was always either windy as hell or overcast all the time, so I didn't get a hand-off filmed until the parents were doing it for their fledglings.

I like the shorebird shots, too. Overcast weather ads an ambience that works well for foraging shorebirds IMO, so it doesn't bother me as much as it does you. I especially like the layers of different species of shorebirds out of focus in the Black-bellied Plover shot.

I just finished going through a couple weeks of photos, so here's more from Humboldt Bay/Arcata Marsh

egret-gawk by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

annas-on-bush by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

cormorant-fish by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

avocets-landing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

egret-grooming by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

There was a peregrine going nuts diving at the shorebirds, but it was a jerk and caught a meal before I could get to a closer location where it wouldn't be harshly backlit.

peregrine-swoop by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
had a leucistic Black-billed Magpie in my building's parking lot today, ran inside to grab my camera and came back out, but it was gone :(

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Finally had an opportunity to shoot some hummingbirds but there was no sun to work with so I had to salvage some high ISO shots.

Female Ruby Throated Hummingbird by justincook5376, on Flickr

Mallard Non-Breeding by justincook5376, on Flickr

There was a massive group of shorebirds northeast MA this past weekend, thousands of them. but the weather was also bad and I couldn't really get close to them. So when going through my shots I don't think I found a single usable photo.

In another note: Moon Potato, I ended up getting the Sachtler Ace L head with the single carbon fiber legs to get maximum height range. It's OK, the head is nice and smooth but there is kickback when panning left to right, and the whole thing vibrates every time I put my hand on, or take my hand off the handle. Makes shooting video with the 400mm annoying. Not sure if it's the legs that can't resist the torsion or what.

TheMirage fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 29, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

TheMirage posted:

Finally had an opportunity to shoot some hummingbirds but there was no sun to work with so I had to salvage some high ISO shots.

Yeah my good hummingbird shot last page was ISO3200 which is about the usable limits of what my Nikon D3200 can handle (I can go higher but the noise starts getting pretty distracting). That one is great!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Moon Potato posted:

Thanks. That's a shot I've been trying to get for a long time - last year during breeding and nesting season, it was always either windy as hell or overcast all the time, so I didn't get a hand-off filmed until the parents were doing it for their fledglings.

Well I'm glad you were able to get it. Its a fantastic shot.

Moon Potato posted:

I like the shorebird shots, too. Overcast weather ads an ambience that works well for foraging shorebirds IMO, so it doesn't bother me as much as it does you. I especially like the layers of different species of shorebirds out of focus in the Black-bellied Plover shot.

Thanks, I liked that one a lot too. I was shooting the Plover using some Short Billed Dowitchers as a background, which I thought looked pretty cool and then a huge flock of westerns and leasts flew in and started running around in my shot. I was bummed at first but when I reviewed them later I liked the layering of the species. I've gotten so used to trying to isolate individuals that I forget there are other ways to take interesting pictures.

I like that Cormarant portrait a lot btw

TheMirage posted:

I don't think the noise is too bad in these pics. Maybe mask off the bird and run some aggressive denoise on the background. The bird is sharp and well exposed, which is the most important part.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

I don't think the noise is too bad in these pics. Maybe mask off the bird and run some aggressive denoise on the background. The bird is sharp and well exposed, which is the most important part.

Good idea! I've been meaning to practice more heavy edits in PS. Mostly I just use LR to adjust overall sharpness/noise/saturation and occasionally use a gradient filter, but I want to try out some masking in PS. I have a decent image of the male in this set of pics but he's on the bird feeder. I'm going to try and mask him and cut the feeder out and maybe put a fake background in.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I use masks a ton to control filter effects, specifically sharpening, denoise, saturation and curves. A super simple way to do targeted denoise and sharpening in PS is to create a new layer with mask, paint out the bird with the paintbrush or use the quick select tool, and then run a denoise filter. The mask doesn't need to be super accurate and in fact a little feathering can be good to fade the filter in so there isn't a harsh noise halo. You can see the mask overlaid on the picture by hitting backspace. Then you can create a sharpening layer, copy the mask on to that, invert it and run an unsharp mask so that you are only sharpening the bird.

e: Here's a nuthatch I shot after the sun went down. ISO3200.

White-Breasted Nuthatch by No Small Wave, on Flickr

Still a bit of noise but perfectly usable. I used a light denoise layer on the bird so that the sharpening wouldn't get too gross but the background was very aggressive.

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 22, 2014

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I usually take a fairly light-handed approach to post work, but I think I'm going to have to join you guys in some masking for this shot I took yesterday evening. A quickie job in Aperture just isn't doing it for me.

egret-gulp by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
Grading/degraining the egret and background separately and smoothing out the wonky bokeh on the sparkles could make something special out of it.

That egret is teaching me a lot about the fish in Humboldt Bay, too. I've IDed a few species of smelt from watching it, and I think it caught a tubesnout yesterday. (Edit: it appears to be a bay pipefish instead of a tubesnout)

egret-tubesnout by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Heat distortion has been a big issue while trying to get a clear image of the kites' nest - only a few of about 100 shots I took yesterday came out clear. Luckily, one of them had the hatchling standing up and the father calling out.

kite-father-child by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 23, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

On the off chance anyone has been, I'm in Whistler until Thursday and would love to know good bird photo areas?

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Squamish Estuary is probably your best bet. About 30-45 mins away from Whistler.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

One Swell Foop posted:

Squamish Estuary is probably your best bet. About 30-45 mins away from Whistler.

Awesome, thanks. That's about halfway back to Vancouver so we'll probably just stop there in the way back.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Wow, awesome work everyone! Last few pages have some stellar shots. Been a while since I've been able to go bird photographing...too busy with work and the weather has been poo poo. So these are all backyard shots.

Bathtime is not a laughing matter by zacharytong, on Flickr

These little jerks are hard to photograph! I go out every morning and take dozens of photos...yet out of the few hundred I've taken, only these two are reasonable. STOP MOVING SO FAST!

Female Ruby-throated Hummingbird by zacharytong, on Flickr

Female Ruby-throated Hummingbird by zacharytong, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

polyfractal posted:

These little jerks are hard to photograph! I go out every morning and take dozens of photos...yet out of the few hundred I've taken, only these two are reasonable. STOP MOVING SO FAST!
Those shots look great (and same with TheMirage's), but yeah those are hard birds to shoot when they're in motion. Having a long enough lens to make them take up much of the frame gives you too small a field of view to track them while they're zipping around. If you're not using a feeder, it takes a lot of patience and a lot of shots to get a handful of closeups that are in frame and in focus.

I took a crack at some more extensive post work on that egret shot. The selective degraining and sharpening I did on the egret still looks a bit off to me in a few places, but I think the darker, smoother background is an improvement.

egret-gulp-post by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 23, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Can you mask out the egret and just degrain the background?

He's looking awfully "lovely newborn photographer with the skin smoothing slider +12".

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Can you mask out the egret and just degrain the background?

He's looking awfully "lovely newborn photographer with the skin smoothing slider +12".
That was Adobe's "reduce noise" filter set to 1, applied just to the shadows. It is a bad filter. I replaced the egret layer with a copy where all the noise reduction was done in the RAW import dialogue, and it's looking much better.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Woke up early to the sound of a hawk cry. Well, it seems the little lady from before decided to bring along her beau and perch in my favorite tree, in my backyard.

Establishing shot.

Her Screaming at me.

Him giving me the wink.

Gratuitous bird pics. Pick your favorite.

Edit: oh and question. The larger one is the female correct?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Bird photography is totally new for me. I sort of fell into it when I bought a 70-300 for tight-crop landscapes when I went on vacation, and ended up having a really good time pointing it at birds. I basically ended up learning the advice in the OP by trial and error, a lot of my shots were blurry and crappy. I definitely felt the limitations of a 300mm lens, I had to crop the poo poo out of these:

5B4A9055 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A9144 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A9184 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A9255 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A9913 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

The stuff people have been posting in this thread has been amazing. The owls and stuff are awesome, but I really like the really well-executed shots of common birds, especially waxwings. Now I want to buy a Tamron 150-600 and spend lots of time outdoors.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I found the trick with a 300mmish lens is to become really good friends with the birds in your backyard.

DSC04991.jpg by elliotw2, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Bird photography is totally new for me. I sort of fell into it when I bought a 70-300 for tight-crop landscapes when I went on vacation, and ended up having a really good time pointing it at birds. I basically ended up learning the advice in the OP by trial and error, a lot of my shots were blurry and crappy. I definitely felt the limitations of a 300mm lens, I had to crop the poo poo out of these:

5B4A9055 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A9144 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A9184 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A9255 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A9913 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

The stuff people have been posting in this thread has been amazing. The owls and stuff are awesome, but I really like the really well-executed shots of common birds, especially waxwings. Now I want to buy a Tamron 150-600 and spend lots of time outdoors.

loving the hover puffin, and that tern with the iceberg background is a fantastic shot and really pretty. They're pretty quick fliers, so getting a sharp shot of one in flight isn't easy!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
A few from this morning at Golden Gardens Park in Seattle:

Black-capped Chickadee

Great Blue Heron fishing in Puget Sound

Young crow more interested in begging its parents for food than learning how to find food itself

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Linedance posted:

loving the hover puffin, and that tern with the iceberg background is a fantastic shot and really pretty. They're pretty quick fliers, so getting a sharp shot of one in flight isn't easy!

Yeah, the puffins and terns were super fun to watch. Has anyone had experience shooting puffins in Maine? It looks like all the boat trips to Machias Seal Island are booked this year, but it sounds like a place I'd want to visit.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Bubbacub posted:

a lot of my shots were blurry and crappy... I had to crop the poo poo out of these

Welcome to bird photography!

Bubbacub posted:

Now I want to buy a Tamron 150-600 and spend lots of time outdoors.

Do iiiiiiitttt! Jooooiiiin uuusss!

Btw, love the guillemot and puffin pics. Where were those taken?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I bought a Nikon 300mm f/4 recently to take bird photos (the 55-200mm I had was a piece of junk).

One from the garden:

Wood pigeon

One from the sea shore

Black headed gull?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spookygonk posted:

One from the sea shore

Black headed gull?

Hahahaha this is the best thing.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

spookygonk posted:

One from the sea shore

Black headed gull?
this is pretty much gull.jpg

Love it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

MINE?!

Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Went to the Washington coast a couple of days ago to see if the shorebirds were moving through yet. There were some there but the weather turned lovely so the pics are kinda bleh

Black-bellied Plover by No Small Wave, on Flickr

Semipalmated Sandpiper by No Small Wave, on Flickr

Semipalmated Plover by No Small Wave, on Flickr

Dunlin by No Small Wave, on Flickr

Bonus Hammond's Flycatcher from southern Oregon

Hammond's Flycatcher by No Small Wave, on Flickr
I've been away for a little while so I missed this when you first posted it. Phenomenal series! I absolutely love your framing choice on the semipalmated plover especially.