Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I literally just had a dream that he said he'd be back, so it was him, Coop, and Agent Rosenfield doing police stuff the entire time :allears:

Dreams are canon iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why bother making twin peaks season 3 if it isn't a follow up to twin peaks season 2? Anyway that's probably not a concern given the cast.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

There's fanservice continuity wank and then there's the insane cliffhanger where the protagonist has his soul taken by the primary antagonist and is possessed by him. If Lynch didn't go somewhere with that I'd question why he agreed to revive Twin Peaks.

I'm honestly not sure he has to directly reference it either way. In fact it might be better if he didn't because the audience will be wondering the whole time if Coop is still himself and you know Lynch will love to troll with that.

Jordan7hm posted:

Why bother making twin peaks season 3 if it isn't a follow up to twin peaks season 2? Anyway that's probably not a concern given the cast.

I just don't want him boxed in by previous threads. And knowing Lynch, he won't be. He'll pick up the ones he likes and drop the others and in general leave people wondering what the gently caress which is why he owns.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Hope Josie makes a surprise return from the doorknob

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Jordan7hm posted:

Why bother making twin peaks season 3 if it isn't a follow up to twin peaks season 2?

He already made a movie that barely followed up on season 2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Under the vegetable posted:

Hope Josie makes a surprise return from the doorknob

She's not listed on the cast list and reports say Joan Chen isn't coming back. But hey, maybe she'll at least be referenced at some point, knock on wood.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

CJacobs posted:

She's not listed on the cast list and reports say Joan Chen isn't coming back. But hey, maybe she'll at least be referenced at some point, knock on wood.

That's why I said "surprise".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just wanted to make the knock on wood joke ok, I am positive nobody has made that joke in the over 20 years' span between then and now and it is still fresh and original

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

CJacobs posted:

She's not listed on the cast list and reports say Joan Chen... knock on wood.

Heeyoooo!

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Ginette Reno posted:

I just don't want him boxed in by previous threads. And knowing Lynch, he won't be. He'll pick up the ones he likes and drop the others and in general leave people wondering what the gently caress which is why he owns.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think the show will answer what happened to Coop right away, but I think it will be answered. It will probably become a running mystery throughout the show, knowing Lynch, but I'm certain it will be revealed considering people have been asking the guy "what the hell happened to Coop after Twin Peaks" for 25 years. He knows it's like the only thing people actually want to know after the tease you get in Fire Walk With Me. Sure, his thing is that he doesn't cave to people asking him to do things, but considering how utterly integral it is to the show, I really doubt he's gonna handwave it away. They just won't show their full hand immediately.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

It'll be a slow reveal with a lot of characters' life changes I wager. Some will be pretty standard stuff like "oh that guy's running the Diner" or "he's retired", but there will probably be something like "these two characters hate each other now".

Getting a late start on my rewatch but I forgot that sense of quiet despair when everyone starts to realize what happened to Laura. It really gives you the sense of how important she was to the community and gives credence to Bobby's "we all knew Laura was in trouble and didn't do anything" speech.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm looking forward to seeing where they manage to shove all of those cameos they've listed. Trent Reznor, Eddie Vedder, Ernie Hudson, and a billion more. I mean, with 18 episodes, I'm sure they'll all get a fair bit of screen time, but holy poo poo.

Edit: and Michael Cera :psyduck:

You could play Six Degrees of Twin Peaks VERY easily, I think.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
3 eps into s2 on my rewatch. Nine years later and I still couldn't tell you what's going on with the mill storyline at any point

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: and Michael Cera :psyduck:

I'm still hoping he's Andy and Lucy's kid. Either that or he has weird dreams about the dumpster behind the Double R and finally faces his fears.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
really I just hope the new show is funny. All of the promo stuff has been pretty dark, brooding, and mysterious, but seasons 1 and 2 are actually hilarious and lighthearted most of the time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Escobarbarian posted:

3 eps into s2 on my rewatch. Nine years later and I still couldn't tell you what's going on with the mill storyline at any point

in spoilers because chunks of it are from the book:

Andrew Packard married Josie, who he later learned was an extremely high-ranking Triad gang boss on the run. She was like a teen savant crime lord p much. She lied about her age to him (saying she was much older) planning to eventually use his wealth to rebuild her empire in Hong Kong. He learned the truth and faked his own death (Hank blew up a corpse in Andrew 's boathouse), willing the mill and his wealth to Josie, planning to return once he'd laid plans to do away with Josie and get out from under her schemes.

--- show starts----

Coop shows up in town, eventually piecing together most of Josie's story. Josie realizes he's onto her and shoots him. Then Andrew shows up and shoots her. Roundabout the same time (sorry, it's been a while) Catherine fakes her death (leaving poor Pete sad and confused) and Andrew re-appears to Pete, laying plans to restart the mill.

Now Catherine reappears, posing as a Hong Kong business man. She intimidates and outmaneuvers Andrew for a while before revealing herself to him and we realize there's a whole incesty thing going on. Then she kills him and sells the mill to Benjamine Horne for his Ghostwood project, as she's also banging him and has planned to just bail with the Ghostwood money the whole time.

edit: actually this link has more and better details than I could put together: http://www.twinpeaksgazette.com/article-articleID=97.cfm.html
Leaving my spoilers up because honestly I"m amazed I remembered that much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm still hoping he's Andy and Lucy's kid.

:eyepop: My god that'd be perfect.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

really I just hope the new show is funny. All of the promo stuff has been pretty dark, brooding, and mysterious, but seasons 1 and 2 are actually hilarious and lighthearted most of the time.

The trailers certainly make it look heavier than the original show, but I agree it'd be nice if a little of the camp goofiness remained. Eighteen hours of Fire Walk with Me might be a little hard to stomach by itself.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

CJacobs posted:

I don't think the show will answer what happened to Coop right away, but I think it will be answered.

I always kinda hoped that Coop has been in the black lodge the whole time. How he got un-BOB'd would still be hidden, but the show starts out with Coop walking out of the forest confused, thinking he was in the lodge for a day or something and finding out that he's been a cold case for the last 20 years. It would also work as a way to reintroduce cast as he tries to catch up on 20 missing years.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Daedalus1134 posted:

I always kinda hoped that Coop has been in the black lodge the whole time. How he got un-BOB'd would still be hidden, but the show starts out with Coop walking out of the forest confused, thinking he was in the lodge for a day or something and finding out that he's been a cold case for the last 20 years. It would also work as a way to reintroduce cast as he tries to catch up on 20 missing years.

Aren't there two Coops though? The one who smashes his head into the mirror, and the "real" one in the lodge? I'm betting on corporeal Coop being institutionalized / imprisoned, while "real" Coop is still in the black lodge, trying to find his way out.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Aren't there two Coops though? The one who smashes his head into the mirror, and the "real" one in the lodge? I'm betting on corporeal Coop being institutionalized / imprisoned, while "real" Coop is still in the black lodge, trying to find his way out.

I was thinking this too. Bad coop then pulls a Wyndam Earle and shows up, and the two have a showdown of some sort.

Somehow Good Coop's struggle may be tied to the town's struggles, and Good Coop can't emerge until Norma and Ed get their poo poo sorted out, Sarah Palmer can forgive, Andy finds his courage, etc. All this will be going on against the backdrop of how the outside world views the sensationalized spectacle of the murder in an era where true crime dramas have become so fashionable. (so maybe the "invitation to love" will now be like a "true detective:twin peaks" show).

Other Coop possibilities: Bad Coop leaves town after S2, has a "successful" FBI career (maybe he "solves" a bunch of grizzly murders that he actually commits), comes back to Twin Peaks for his retirement.

Coop takes over Project Bluebook after killing Major Briggs.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Polo-Rican posted:

Ah, you are right. Obviously I need to do a rewatch before the new season starts...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > TWIN PEAKS SEASON 3: An FBI Agent Goes Around Playing Good Coop/Bad Coop

Truly, he is a government man even on the supernatural metaphysical level.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
A new trailer just dropped. https://www.facebook.com/TwinPeaksOnShowtime/videos/1515888728442100/

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsdRG0mJj-w

Albert :(

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I didn't know I needed to see Andy smile while holding a picnic basket and closing the trunk of a car until now. This is so good.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Great trailer, pumped to see new characters.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This is going to rule. Speculating, the vibe I get is this will feel a bit like Mulholland Drive at times, or more recent Lynch in general. David Lynch doing his thing, which also happens to be Twin Peaks, both of those things work for me. I don't think we need to worry about this being too much of a re-tread/fan pleaser kind of thing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Albert :smith:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Seeing all this promotional material and not having Coop ever smile or give a thumbs-up makes me think we're not going to see the real Coop. :smith:

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
So is Laura Dern playing Annie or what?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
We don't know, the leading speculation is Diane.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I never really understood the doppelganger thing, it never seemed like a literal thing in the real world. I mean Bob possessed Leland and then he possessed Cooper, right? Bob was in Leland since he was a kid but relatively dormant until becoming increasingly violent and then taking full control, maybe Coop is fighting him.
Either way, his experience in the Black Lodge broke him, that's how Bob was able to possess him and that's probably why he's not smiling.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I never really understood the doppelganger thing, it never seemed like a literal thing in the real world. I mean Bob possessed Leland and then he possessed Cooper, right? Bob was in Leland since he was a kid but relatively dormant until becoming increasingly violent and then taking full control, maybe Coop is fighting him.
Either way, his experience in the Black Lodge broke him, that's how Bob was able to possess him and that's probably why he's not smiling.

The bob stuff is honestly kind of dumb. If you just play it straight - that Bob is an idea or a concept, rather than an evil spirit that possesses people - it's one of the most raw and horrible mysteries to play out on network television. I like the red room and all of that but I think it really diminished the horror.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Bregor posted:

Seeing all this promotional material and not having Coop ever smile or give a thumbs-up makes me think we're not going to see the real Coop. :smith:

Read the quotes in that article posted a few pages ago. Lynch loves Cooper's whole positive "Boy Scout" attitude, so I doubt he'd write a whole series where that was missing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jordan7hm posted:

The bob stuff is honestly kind of dumb. If you just play it straight - that Bob is an idea or a concept, rather than an evil spirit that possesses people - it's one of the most raw and horrible mysteries to play out on network television. I like the red room and all of that but I think it really diminished the horror.

I think FWWM put a lot of the force back into the concept. He's very much an avatar for a particular kind of abuse rather than just a random malicious spirit.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just finished watching Season 2 for the first time. It was hard; the good parts were good but there was so much filler after the Laura Palmer case was closed. Windom Earle wasn't the threat I was expecting and most of the side characters were wasted on nothing plots (also, Audrey was so good and they gave her such an awful ending).

However, most of the Cooper plot was still great and the creepyness and Lynchian elements were still there; this was such a great unique show and I can't wait for it to return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

And More posted:

I didn't know I needed to see Andy smile while holding a picnic basket and closing the trunk of a car until now. This is so good.

It made me grin like a maniac. Andy's too good for the town of Twin Peaks.

• Locked thread