Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Alhazred posted:

And yet there's no Michelle Rodriguez.

When it comes to dying in movies, Michelle Rodriguez is the female Sean Bean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

echoplex posted:

Good work. Exactly the poo poo you would expect from any film starring Depp.

Everyone knows AIs speak leet :rolleye:

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

echoplex posted:

I started cackling when I saw that part. I've seen interviews with Pfister before and he gave the impression of being an intelligent guy, cites seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey at release as a formative experience, so this wasn't what I was expecting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DNS posted:

I started cackling when I saw that part. I've seen interviews with Pfister before and he gave the impression of being an intelligent guy, cites seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey at release as a formative experience, so this wasn't what I was expecting.

By now it's probably cinema shorthand for computer-talk like gun noises etc.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

echoplex posted:

I'd like to think this is just a tip off that Depp's character is kind of a poo poo. It's not like uploaded intelligences have keyboards to make typos on, that's deliberate.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
When I saw that I thought it was a hint that the upload was botched or something.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Maarak posted:

I'd like to think this is just a tip off that Depp's character is kind of a poo poo. It's not like uploaded intelligences have keyboards to make typos on, that's deliberate.

I hope they have to break the code embedded in his typos.

Darkside543
Nov 27, 2007

Is it just me or does Transcendence give off a Lawnmower Man vibe? I swear Job does the exact same thing...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Darkside543 posted:

Is it just me or does Transcendence give off a Lawnmower Man vibe? I swear Job does the exact same thing...

Isn't a big part of it that he's a magical retard (per King) though?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Late Unpleasantness posted:

Michael Crichton isn't dead, just uploaded.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of Michael Crichton screenplays/ideas lying around that a studio picked up to make a movie, though to be fair its a relatively good premise of science gone wrong and hopefully it will be like good Crichton and not like bad old dying Crichton.

AndyP posted:

That trailer changed tone so fast I got whiplash.

Sandler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MuWt2X59fo
Terry Crews you are too good for this, though if I knew I could make millions from working in Sandler's con schemes I would take it too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of Michael Crichton screenplays/ideas lying around that a studio picked up to make a movie, though to be fair its a relatively good premise of science gone wrong and hopefully it will be like good Crichton and not like bad old dying Crichton.

I'm pretty sure there aren't a lot of unproduced ideas from Crichton considering they were only able to put out one posthumous book and that one was apparently a stretch to get done and still have his name on it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Stephen Chow's new movie, Journey to the West, which has already made over $200 million in China, is getting a North American release. Why have I not heard of this film until now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmKrgPr7PA8

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Stephen Chow's new movie, Journey to the West, which has already made over $200 million in China, is getting a North American release. Why have I not heard of this film until now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmKrgPr7PA8

Some people in the poster thread have talked about it, and apparently it's poo poo.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

Some people in the poster thread have talked about it, and apparently it's poo poo.

Well that answers my question. I'm 400 posts behind in reading that thread.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peanut President posted:

When I saw that I thought it was a hint that the upload was botched or something.
Yeah, I figured the same. I suppose it might work as both a general "He's in the computer now!" message, and a "Something went wrong" message, depending on the viewer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yall are putting way much thought into it, I'm sure. It just means he's a computer now, as opposed to a human. Because computers are leet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Carthag posted:

Isn't a big part of it that he's a magical retard (per King) though?

No. There is literally zero connection between the movie and the story, and King successfully sued to have his name removed from it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Lawnmower Man the story doesn't have a magical retard in it anyway, it's about a dude who hires a lawnmower and when the lawnmower man shows up he starts chowin down on the grass, his stomach bulging and poo poo, and the dude flips out and fires the lawnmower man so he gets chowed down on as well. The end.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

scary ghost dog posted:

Lawnmower Man the story doesn't have a magical retard in it anyway, it's about a dude who hires a lawnmower and when the lawnmower man shows up he starts chowin down on the grass, his stomach bulging and poo poo, and the dude flips out and fires the lawnmower man so he gets chowed down on as well. The end.

Wasn't it revealed that it was Pan?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bobkatt013 posted:

Wasn't it revealed that it was Pan?

A servant of Pan.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

scary ghost dog posted:

:staredog:
Seriously? Holy poo poo. I know King fans through the years were saying, "Boo, why did you even adapt this story into a movie if the movie version is so wildly different?" I had no idea how different they meant.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rahonavis posted:

:staredog:
Seriously? Holy poo poo. I know King fans through the years were saying, "Boo, why did you even adapt this story into a movie if the movie version is so wildly different?" I had no idea how different they meant.

It's a great little surreal nightmare of a story. Classic King.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lawnmower Man is unfortunately a registered trademark now but I seriously don't understand why some studio hasn't just taken four or five of the "Dollar Babies" and made a King short story anthology movie.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DNS posted:

Actually its foreshadowing. As soon as you see 1337 sp34k, you know Johnny Depp is about to pwn some n00bs. And sure enough, he does.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Johnny Depp is Jeff K

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Johnny Depp looks like he's doing make-up tests for a role as a Cenobite in a Hellraiser remake.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

redcheval posted:

I think that's actually pretty rare from what I've heard? I'm not actually 100% sure, but I think a lot of the time it's outside marketing companies or departments mostly separate from the people who actually made the movie.

And they don't provide them with a script or even just a bare bone description of what they want covered? Surely they can veto them spoiling twists they want kept secret, after all, they hired them.

Given the importance of marketing I find this mindboggling. :psyduck:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Charlz Guybon posted:

And they don't provide them with a script or even just a bare bone description of what they want covered? Surely they can veto them spoiling twists they want kept secret, after all, they hired them.

Guess what this movie is about!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2TDSEG57hI

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Shamalayn wanted the kid's seeing of dead people in The Sixth Sense to be a twist, but advertisers went and used that as the main marketing hook to get people into the seats. Similarly, Cameron wanted Schwarzenegger's status as the good guy in Terminator 2 to be a surprise. Meanwhile the trailers gave away that and the T-1000 reveal.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

The thing is, marketing cares about selling tickets and getting asses in seats. This is why you've seen tons of trailers that dump all the best jokes in, or spoil the big twist in the movie, or make Movie X seem like a comedy when it's really a drama etc. I remember going to see Observe and Report under the impression it was your typical Seth Rogen comedy. WHOOPS.

Long story short, trailers aren't really ever 'oh we need to summarize the film to show audiences what they're getting into', it's 'how can we get the most people paying dollars to see this?'

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hahaha I always forget about that. That's so loving terrible and misleading.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

TTBF posted:

Shamalayn wanted the kid's seeing of dead people in The Sixth Sense to be a twist, but advertisers went and used that as the main marketing hook to get people into the seats. Similarly, Cameron wanted Schwarzenegger's status as the good guy in Terminator 2 to be a surprise. Meanwhile the trailers gave away that and the T-1000 reveal.

T2 kind of ruins the twist itself once it starts playing "Bad to the Bone".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hahaha I always forget about that. That's so loving terrible and misleading.

The people who made the film were super unhappy about the ad campaign and how misleading it was.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I remember some lady suing because of the Drive trailer. :downs:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I found this on Youtube and don't know if it's been posted here but I haven't seen it put here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF6l4LAmN8A

The Machine

The effects look kick rear end.

Apparently directed by Toby Stephens.

Here is a weird Wikipedia page for it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Machine_%28film%29

Which is about Adam Shankman, I dunno why that is.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 24, 2013

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Cacator posted:

T2 kind of ruins the twist itself once it starts playing "Bad to the Bone".

I've posted about this in the past but I recall on opening night that there were quite a few gasps in the theatre when Arnie jumps to protect John in the mall. A friend of mine who saw it with me had no idea that Arnie was going to be the good guy so some people were suprised, just not many. We saw the 7pm show and lined up for hours to see it, to say we were blown away is an understatement, that movie was just so ahead of it's time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEtNIoPxcq8

Disney film based on a true story; comes out May of next year. Looks like it might be decent?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
What makes this interesting is that ESPN/Grantland's Bill "Sports Guy" Simmons is one of the Executive Producers.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
wrong thread i think

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

This is actually the greatest trailer ever made.

• Locked thread