Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Is the Age of Napoleon podcast good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Just a quick comment about Revolutions: I started listening because I knew I was ignorant about the French Revolution, but the sheer staggering completeness of my ignorance about the Mexican Revolution has been a bit of a shock.

Anyway, podcast good.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

AnEdgelord posted:

Are there any good podcasts on Chinese or even just general East Asian history, particularly from a more left wing perspective?

Its a big gap in my historical knowledge and i'd love to correct it.

I enjoy the History of China podcast. But I it is really hard to judge it's political leanings when the podcast has only just reached the Mongol invasions of Jin.

coathat
May 21, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Very good

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's excellent. Easily my favorite historical podcast.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Thanks for the info everyone, ill look into those two.

Really with the "left-leaning" i just wanted to avoid some podcast the regurgitated cold war ameican propaganda and called it history.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but Behind the Bastards is my most recent favorite "woke" history podcast. It's surprising sometimes how things like Hitler's sex life or the history of Oregon can relate to modern social issues. The podcast starts off a little on the side of "comedians laughing at everything" but I think it strikes a good balance of examination and humor after a few episodes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1103113045708926977

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Dan Carlin standup?! Can't wait!

"so a boxer and a general walk into a bar..."

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

mike12345 posted:

"Can you imagine? Just picture it"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mike12345 posted:

Six hours later

The aristocrats!

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

e wrong thread

Alikchi fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 7, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Looks like this is what he was teasing

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1103392171137232896
https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1103393218043904000

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I guess I’m glad I just bought some cheap vr goggles but that’s still not very exciting

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This guest on the latest Tides of History sounds like a caricature of a Victorian aristocrat.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Dr. Felipe Fernandez-Armesto is the son of a Spanish journalist and a British diplomat. How does he sound to stereotypically Victorian?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Victorian era was also a 150 years ago. Surprisingly you can sound like something without being from there

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Dr. Felipe Fernandez-Armesto is the son of a Spanish journalist and a British diplomat. How does he sound to stereotypically Victorian?

Just wait until this guy finds out about Julie Andrews

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It was just the most stereotypical over-the-top British accent I've ever heard, even considering people I've heard mocking that type of accent. It was a good episode but I thought the guy was doing a bit at first.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

C-Euro posted:

It was just the most stereotypical over-the-top British accent I've ever heard, even considering people I've heard mocking that type of accent. It was a good episode but I thought the guy was doing a bit at first.

I had to go look that guy up on Youtube to see what you were talking about. Odd voice indeed.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Can anyone recommend a podcast that covers the Chernobyl disaster? Googling gives me a lot of different podcasts that I haven't listened to before, and I'd rather not go through all of them to find one that doesn't suck.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol::lol::lol:

Apparently in the new Twilight Zone (casting/easter egg spoiler, not plot spoiler) the Nightmare at 30,000 Feet episode has Dan Carlin voicing a mysterious podcast host central to the episode's story.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Apparently in the new Twilight Zone (casting/easter egg spoiler, not plot spoiler) the Nightmare at 30,000 Feet episode has Dan Carlin voicing a mysterious podcast host central to the episode's story.

Welp, I guess now we can be sure aliens will show up. Or boxers. Or alien boxers.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

that's amazing

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Megazver posted:

that's amazing

Just watching that episode now, he is bloody perfect for the role too.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Inward Empire tweeted about the next instalment coming some time...

https://twitter.com/iepodcast/status/1112374466259095552 posted:

it's about the rise and fall of the ngo dinh diem regime in south vietnam + US involvement. 4 parts, from the US + Vietnamese perspectives.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Viktor posted:

Inward Empire tweeted about the next instalment coming some time...

Oh man. The section on this in Legacy of Ashes is such a clusterfuck

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

An odd question, I know, but does anyone know what's the name of the ditty that's played on the Maritime History podcast?

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Samovar posted:

An odd question, I know, but does anyone know what's the name of the ditty that's played on the Maritime History podcast?

If you mean the opening theme, it's the Sailor's Hornpipe

I didn't know about that podcast, thanks for mentioning it. Going to give it a try as I'm currently reading a bunch of maritime fiction - should be a good accompaniment. =D

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Am I going to crazy or is skeptoid using crash bandicoot music for it's into now.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Just listened to an attempt at an interview of Sam Davis from Inward Empire, by "CJ", the guy who does the Dangerous History podcast. The host was obsessed with being hipper-than-thou and seemed much more interested in getting his plug across to the IE fans than actually conversing with Davis. It's a shame, because IE is one of my favorite podcasts and when Sam did get to speak it was interesting to hear his influences and processes.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Any podcasts on the rise of Islam that focuses on the historical/military aspects more than theology? I know nothing about Muhammad's life, who the first Muslims were, or the conquests of the 7th century and beyond.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Disillusionist posted:

Any podcasts on the rise of Islam that focuses on the historical/military aspects more than theology? I know nothing about Muhammad's life, who the first Muslims were, or the conquests of the 7th century and beyond.

If also be into this

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think the answer is “it’s complicated.”

It’s complicated because most histories of Islam present the traditional story of Muhammad’s rise as fact.

Since there are so few other sources from that time, it’s hard to dispute or present another version with accuracy.

Speaking of, if you start looking for a more historically accurate narrative based on primary sources, you can quickly slip into islamophobic territory.

It’s a very much “there be racist dragons here” sort of search. Be wary and conscious of the sources being used.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Count Roland posted:

If also be into this

I actually found one I like so far: The Golden Age of Islam

The host is an American (and I don't think he himself is a Muslim) but he seems pretty non-biased so far. He adopts a middle-of-the-road path and describes the opposing views on certain issues rather than endorsing one specifically.

For example, in the second episode he discusses a Quran verse that says (I'm paraphrasing here) "Fight those people of the Book who are non-believers ... until they pay jizyah and submit." The Arabic word "fight" in this sentence can also be translated as "kill" depending on context and vowel stress, yet the host emphasizes that the correct translation is probably "fight" and those who insist on translating it as "kill" probably have ulterior motives. I can't verify whether this is true or not (Wikipedia seems to agree with him), but I appreciated the tangent on grammar because it makes a difference in how early Islamic rule is perceived. This is an exception in which he does endorse one interpretation over another but he supports his view adequately in my opinion.

Anyway, he has 27 episodes so far and releases monthly, so I'm going to follow this one for the time being.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Has Mike Duncan finished the Mexican Revolution? It seems to have finished updating. I prefer listening to them in one go so I always wait for him to finish first.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Has Mike Duncan finished the Mexican Revolution? It seems to have finished updating. I prefer listening to them in one go so I always wait for him to finish first.

Yes

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah he’s done. It actually finished a few weeks ago so he’ll be starting the Russian Revolution probably next week I think.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I think he mentioned something about doing an intro episode which I'm assuming has ballooned into it's own mini series to explain both marxism and the first world war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I keep refreshing my podcast app and it keeps not being there. Come oooooooooon.