Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

They boosted exp in the patch but it'd be weird to walk it back now

Eh, I think they can say "whoops, we overtuned it".

Alternately it'd be nice if they patch in a harder difficulty mode that justifies that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Noctis's anger is 95% at himself.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bear is driving! posted:

His attitude falls in line with pretty much every jrpg/anime protagonist ever.

"Ugh, I got this giant robot/magic sword/super power that is amazing but I DON'T WANT IT"

He doesn't want it because it kills you, it's why his dad was limping around with a cane.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Really enjoying the game so far. The combat just keeps things interesting and driving everything forward

Notics throwing a hissy fit about his father trying to protect him is pretty dumb and kinda annoying. Dude, what do you expect? He's the king and he's your father. He did the best he could. Noctis' attitude doesn't really make sense, even for a haughty teenager prince.

I'm still in chapter 2 but that's not what I've taken from those scenes. He's pissed his dad is dead and that his dad didn't warn him and left him an idyllic state without any knowledge of the impending danger and he seems to get that his anger isn't actually at his father. The fact it takes him two seconds to be mad then go, yeah I gotta be king, was genuinely refreshing.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Game is mad fun but I wish that the combat tutorial was more in depth. Unless I missed it, I had no idea you can switch your combos by moving the control stick a certain direction. Maybe it's in a guide in the option menu somewhere?

Was watching a video of some guy stylin on Gladiolus in training and was wondering how he was doing those sick flips. Then watched another video explaining the weapon move sets.

Also, if you pause your combo for a second and wait until Noctis puts his weapon away, you will do a crushing attack when if you attack again right after that. You can even start your combo with the regular sword, then switch the the greatsword, wait a split second and attack again and you'll do a whirlwind of death spinning move that owns.

Once I got the hang of all of that I feel like combat has really opened up a lot more.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I might be missing something but machinery seems to be really bad as a weapon type. A slow charging weapon that disables warp strike while you have it equipped? I mean I guess AoE clears sure but otherwise just pretty boring.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Game is mad fun but I wish that the combat tutorial was more in depth. Unless I missed it, I had no idea you can switch your combos by moving the control stick a certain direction. Maybe it's in a guide in the option menu somewhere?

Was watching a video of some guy stylin on Gladiolus in training and was wondering how he was doing those sick flips. Then watched another video explaining the weapon move sets.

Also, if you pause your combo for a second and wait until Noctis puts his weapon away, you will do a crushing attack when if you attack again right after that. You can even start your combo with the regular sword, then switch the the greatsword, wait a split second and attack again and you'll do a whirlwind of death spinning move that owns.

Once I got the hang of all of that I feel like combat has really opened up a lot more.

It mentions that moving the stick while holding attack changes the combo you do. It doesn't repeat this or ask you to even test it out yourself but it's there.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The tutorial mentions you can push in directions to change attacks it but it doesn't make you do it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Terper posted:

Yeah haha the kid should be happy his dad who he loves a whole bunch is dead

No he should be sad, but he shouldn't be loving mad at him. That's the dumb part. Noctis is like "man my dead dad is such a jerk for sending me away when he knew I'd probably get killed" which is straight stupid.

Like I get you're a teenager prince who thinks he's a badass with his teleporty magic, but if your king father who also has teleporty magic and his entire bodyguard army wasn't enough, you probably wouldn't change things singlehandedly.

Better you live on and be the new king, like DUH.

He should be heartbroken that his father is dead but he should either be scared of being the new king or excited to try to live up to his father's expectations, not loving pissed at him for not letting him get himself killed.

Terper posted:

Seriously though, nothing wrong with Noctis's reaction. If Regis knew the treaty was a farce then he should have done more to protect the people instead of just his son.

How do we know he didn't protect the people as best he could? That seems like a ridiculous conclusion to jump to.

Like what are you expecting him to have done? I don't see any magic solution here... what the gently caress? You're being invaded by the empire. You fight them and send your son away. You can't send literally the entire population away and fight them singlehandedly, that doesn't work. He tried to work for peace and the Empire wouldn't have it. That doesn't give him any options really. He still went down swinging though, he sacrificed himself for his people. What do you want?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I might be missing something but machinery seems to be really bad as a weapon type. A slow charging weapon that disables warp strike while you have it equipped? I mean I guess AoE clears sure but otherwise just pretty boring.

Machinery is basically just for Prompto.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

No he should be sad, but he shouldn't be loving mad at him. That's the dumb part. Noctis is like "man my dead dad is such a jerk for sending me away when he knew I'd probably get killed" which is straight stupid.

No he isn't. He's mad that his dad sent him away without telling him why. That is why he's pissed because his dad went "yeah, gonna pretend everything is chill, see ya later son.' He even gets it explained to him that it was Regis wanting their last encounter to be father and son and not king and prince.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Terper posted:

Seriously though, nothing wrong with Noctis's reaction. If Regis knew the treaty was a farce then he should have done more to protect the people instead of just his son.

Kingsglaive is awful at communicating it but Regis basically turned the treaty-signing process into a Mexican standoff, where his private guard were prepared to rout Niflheim's incoming offensive and leave the Empire's army defanged and demoralized with the Emperor himself within stabbing distance of the King. It all went wrong, though, because of a number of deeply stupid things about the Kingsglaive - mainly, that there were formed from Insomnia's resentful refugee class and their captain was a god damned Niflheim high commander in a cunning disguise. They went turncoat and everything fell apart.

Insomnia was hopelessly outclassed by Niflheim in direct warfare, which is why no one in the movie had any illusions that the peace treaty was a sham. Regis did the best he could with a poo poo situation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No he isn't. He's mad that his dad sent him away without telling him why. That is why he's pissed because his dad went "yeah, gonna pretend everything is chill, see ya later son.' He even gets it explained to him that it was Regis wanting their last encounter to be father and son and not king and prince.

Right, but its also obvious that if his father said "Hey I'm about to fight to the death over here, kbye" that Noctis would probably throw a hissyfit and refuse to leave. That's why he lied. Seems pretty clear to me? Send your son away with no idea that anything is wrong, so he gets all the way to safety before the poo poo goes down. Noctis' character traits would definitely have him try to help in some way, which would put him in huge danger. I mean look at how many fights we get into just helping random people in the countryside. He thinks he's a hero, he wants to fight.

Oxxidation posted:

Regis did the best he could with a poo poo situation.

Exactly.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 30, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Right, but its also obvious that if his father said "Hey I'm about to fight to the death over here, kbye" that Noctis would probably throw a hissyfit and refuse to leave. That's why he lied. Seems pretty clear to me? Send your son away with no idea that anything is wrong, so he gets all the way to safety before the poo poo goes down. Noctis' character traits would definitely have him try to help in some way, which would put him in huge danger.

So you're saying that it's illogical that someone would be upset that their father lied to them under the pretense of "if I told you the truth you wouldn't accept what I said."

I guess I missed the plot point where Noctis is a flawless emotionless robot.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

My copy of the game came with a thank you card signed by the dev team :unsmith:

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, I think they can say "whoops, we overtuned it".

Alternately it'd be nice if they patch in a harder difficulty mode that justifies that.

wasn't this a thing they discussed as a possibility?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I can't believe someone would react irrationally to the surprise death of a loved one

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

So you're saying that it's illogical that someone would be upset that their father lied to them under the pretense of "if I told you the truth you wouldn't accept what I said."

When he's literally the king and he's 100% right, yes.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh gently caress off with this. Like I said, he should be sad, he should be mad at the empire, he should be scared and excited about being the new king, he should feel 1000 emotions but not angry at his dad who just sacrificed himself to save him.

He also acts betrayed, like "how dare my dad not let me fight to my death and not tell me the truth" which is just stupid. Again, he saved your life. He should be angry at the Empire, not his father.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 30, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh gently caress off with this. Like I said, he should be sad, he should be mad at the empire, he should be scared and excited about being the new king, he should feel 1000 emotions but not angry at his dad who just sacrificed himself to save him.

Please continue lecturing us on what someone dealing with the death of their father should be feeling.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like I'm just not 'getting' the combat. Having to hold R1 to lock on (why is this not a toggle?) while holding circle and then having my hands on square to hold to dodge is really...odd. And if I don't have lock on i end up warping all over the joint not really doing much.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ImpAtom posted:

It's just best to ignore that dude. This is like the sixth thread I've seen him poo poo up with dumb arguments.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

You got a weird fixation on obeying authority figures, dude. Most people are not going to go "Oh, well, the KING said it, so I guess it's totally okay that my dad foisted all this poo poo on me without so much as a warning." They will in fact be pretty upset.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I feel like I'm just not 'getting' the combat. Having to hold R1 to lock on (why is this not a toggle?) while holding circle and then having my hands on square to hold to dodge is really...odd. And if I don't have lock on i end up warping all over the joint not really doing much.

Click R3 to force the lock-on to remain locked on without holding the button.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zaphod42 posted:

Kubler-Ross. Also maybe you should let the story play out and see if, you know, the initial reaction isn't hiding something else

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I got this awesome giant robot, BUT it killed everyone I know and love....

Oh wait, wrong game. Yea I don't blame him for not wanting magic powers that make you die faster, make you need a cane, and make your hip bones hurt horribly whenever you try to gently caress.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Kubler-Ross. Also maybe you should let the story play out and see if, you know, the initial reaction isn't hiding something else

Saying that he's going through grief is a fair point. I still think he should be more angry at the Empire, but yeah.

ImpAtom posted:

You got a weird fixation on obeying authority figures, dude. Most people are not going to go "Oh, well, the KING said it, so I guess it's totally okay that my dad foisted all this poo poo on me without so much as a warning." They will in fact be pretty upset.

Er, what? Those aren't two different people. Its your father, the king. Its not just obeying authority, but the point is he's your father and is looking out for you, and he's the king so he knows what is going on more than anybody else. He knows all the possible moves and he's trying his best. Its probably better to assume he did the best he could then assume he hosed up and could have lived if he'd let you fight to help him.

Its not about obeying authority, my point is that he is the king so he knows what is going on and has more power than anybody else to fix things. If he couldn't fix things nobody could.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Oh thank god.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

ImpAtom posted:

Also consider using an alternate control scheme. Type A seems real weak. I'm currently using Type B and it's superior in my opinion.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Saying that he's going through grief is a fair point. I still think he should be more angry at the Empire, but yeah.

Noctis has Issues with his dad that are made a lot clearer in Brotherhood. He's watching the man turn grey and shrivel up like a loving mummy because Insomnia's magical border runs off the power of noblesse oblige, and he spends a good portion of his adolescence bashing his head against a wall because he can't figure out a way to fix it or even confront Regis about the issue. Then he finally thinks he'll have a way to stop the war and halt his father's degradation, only to find out that Regis was conning him the whole time and quietly shuttling him out of the city to sacrifice the rest of his life for its sake. I'd be pissed, too.

Of course Regis had his son's best interests in mind, because there was no way Noctis could just stand at the city gates and glare the Empire into submission. But to Noct it probably looks like one final example of his father placing his people's interests over those of his well-being and family.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Also consider using an alternate control scheme. Type A seems real weak. I'm currently using Type B and it's superior in my opinion.

Is there a game comparison one could make for each of the control types? Like, one feels like The Witcher, one is like Dark Souls, one is like a Platinum game...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a game comparison one could make for each of the control types? Like, one feels like The Witcher, one is like Dark Souls, one is like a Platinum game...

Not off the top of my head. I just looked at all the control schemes since they're all shown to you in the options menu and visualized where my hands would be most of the time during a battle. Then I popped into training and see how it felt. It was like 5 minutes of messing around really.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Those would involve becoming a radically different game. It's just what buttons are comfortable and natural for you to hold and what is ok for you to use rarely. Look at them and decide there are only three.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Just popping in briefly to say that if any of you bought the super deluxe way too expensive version and want to sell me the art book that came with it please PM me or email me at epi(dot)lepi(dot)sa(at)gmail(dot)com

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The combat wasn't clicking for me either so I turned wait mode on and I instantly started enjoying it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Noctis has Issues with his dad that are made a lot clearer in Brotherhood. He's watching the man turn grey and shrivel up like a loving mummy because Insomnia's magical border runs off the power of noblesse oblige, and he spends a good portion of his adolescence bashing his head against a wall because he can't figure out a way to fix it or even confront Regis about the issue. Then he finally thinks he'll have a way to stop the war and halt his father's degradation, only to find out that Regis was conning him the whole time and quietly shuttling him out of the city to sacrifice the rest of his life for its sake. I'd be pissed, too.

Yeah that all makes sense. The thing is

Oxxidation posted:

Of course Regis had his son's best interests in mind, because there was no way Noctis could just stand at the city gates and glare the Empire into submission. But to Noct it probably looks like one final example of his father placing his people's interests over those of his well-being and family.

But he also complains that he didn't do more for his people or something, right? That he put his people in danger? That's part of what kinda didn't add up to me about Noct's anger. If he was angry that his father put his people before himself or something that'd make more sense. But he seemed to kinda blame him for not doing everything he could to keep the people safe, and it seemed to me like he did absolutely everything he could but just got dealt a losing hand against a much more powerful enemy.

Which then seemed like he was saying "If my dad would have just let me do what I wanted, I could have saved everybody, including my father and all the people" which just seems absolutely unrealistic.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Zaphod42 posted:

Like I get you're a teenager prince who thinks he's a badass with his teleporty magic, but if your king father who also has teleporty magic and his entire bodyguard army wasn't enough, you probably wouldn't change things singlehandedly.

Better you live on and be the new king, like DUH.

He should be heartbroken that his father is dead but he should either be scared of being the new king or excited to try to live up to his father's expectations, not loving pissed at him for not letting him get himself killed.

How do we know he didn't protect the people as best he could? That seems like a ridiculous conclusion to jump to.

Like what are you expecting him to have done? I don't see any magic solution here... what the gently caress? You're being invaded by the empire. You fight them and send your son away. You can't send literally the entire population away and fight them singlehandedly, that doesn't work. He tried to work for peace and the Empire wouldn't have it. That doesn't give him any options really. He still went down swinging though, he sacrificed himself for his people. What do you want?

Is this what autism looks like

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

8-bit Miniboss posted:

B is superior to A but I'm finding C is even better. Having the left trigger to block and the right trigger to attack just feels more natural to me. And having the ability to quick lock/warpstrike makes me feel stylish. I still can't get the hang of just holding down the left trigger to autododge everything like that youtube tutorial was showing. I get my rear end handed to me in every fight (still in chapter 1, still figuring out combat).

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

C felt more Dark Souls to me, with the left trigger as block and the right trigger as attack. Makes the sprint refresh easier, too.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The responses are getting a little personal, but this conversation (about Noct and Regis) tells me the characters are actually good.

Whew, I was afraid I just appreciated young men in tight leather.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

But he also complains that he didn't do more for his people or something, right? That he put his people in danger? That's part of what kinda didn't add up to me about Noct's anger. If he was angry that his father put his people before himself or something that'd make more sense. But he seemed to kinda blame him for not doing everything he could to keep the people safe, and it seemed to me like he did absolutely everything he could but just got dealt a losing hand against a much more powerful enemy.

Which then seemed like he was saying "If my dad would have just let me do what I wanted, I could have saved everybody, including my father and all the people" which just seems absolutely unrealistic.

His dad is literally a wise old wizard-king. It makes sense for his teenaged son to have kind of an inflated opinion of his capabilities.

e: like, I'm so used to father-son RPG relationships that are all "no YOU shut the gently caress up, dad" that it's nice to see one that's on the rocks because the kid respects his father too much.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

His dad is literally a wise old wizard-king. It makes sense for his teenaged son to have kind of an inflated opinion of his capabilities.

Yeah... I guess I'm just not really in the mood to have another teenage protagonist, but it is what it is. And of course he'll grow from here.

I just thought the conversation between Noct and Cor sounded really misplaced. But his being a teenager and in grief means he wouldn't exactly be rational so w/e.

I did like how in the demo we played young Noct, but then he became his teenage self at the end in his dream, like he was believing in himself. And in the intro to XV we see a quick scene with what looks like Noct wearing Regis' armor, so he's definitely going to ascend at some point.

Oxxidation posted:

e: like, I'm so used to father-son RPG relationships that are all "no YOU shut the gently caress up, dad" that it's nice to see one that's on the rocks because the kid respects his father too much.

Yeah that's true. Although when the enemy has an army of star destroyers and robot soldiers... :(

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

he's twenty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Don't respond to Zaphod.

• Locked thread