Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

you can potentially steal user session cookies cross-tab using the chrome speech recognition + speech synthesis APIs which is pretty clever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
how would you trick the target tab into reading out its session cookies?

if you have that ability you probably don't need a rube goldberg speech synthesis thing at all

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

salted hash browns posted:

I thought the issue with OpenVPN was you were always relying on 3rd party VPN clients that would occasionally leak traffic under certain situations? That using a normal built-in IPSEC VPN was the more robust option?

yes. this is a big issue for example on windows with wifi networks, where if a network goes down, its routes are removed from the table, and when it goes up they are readded, with the highest priority. wifi has a hiccup -> you are no longer passing through the vpn. the native windows vpn client, on the other hand, creates a proper point-to-point network, which has a higher priority than broadcast networks by default. it's more a limitation of the openvpn driver for windows, which can only create tap (i.e. broadcast) and not tun (i.e. p-to-p) networks, but still, it means you can't safely use openvpn on windows

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

lmao https://blog.cloudflare.com/quantifying-the-impact-of-cloudbleed/

quote:

The summary is that, while the bug was very bad and had the potential to be much worse, based on our analysis so far: 1) we have found no evidence based on our logs that the bug was maliciously exploited before it was patched; 2) the vast majority of Cloudflare customers had no data leaked; 3) after a review of tens of thousands of pages of leaked data from search engine caches, we have found a large number of instances of leaked internal Cloudflare headers and customer cookies, but we have not found any instances of passwords, credit card numbers, or health records; and 4) our review is ongoing.

quote:

Initially, the new parser code would only get executed under a very limited set of circumstances. Fewer than 180 sites from 22 September 2016 through 13 February 2017 had the combination of the HTML flaw and the set of features that would trigger the new version of the parser. During that time period, pages that had both characteristics and therefore would trigger the bug were accessed an estimated 605,037 times.

On 13 February 2017, not aware of the bug, we expanded the circumstances under which the new parser would get executed. That expanded the number of sites where the bug could get triggered from fewer than 180 to 6,457. From 13 February 2017 through 18 February 2017, when we patched the bug, the pages that would trigger the bug were accessed an estimated 637,034 times. In total, between 22 September 2016 and 18 February 2017 we now estimate based on our logs the bug was triggered 1,242,071 times.

quote:

The Cloudbleed bug wasn't like a typical data breach. To analogize to the physical world, a typical data breach would be like a robber breaking into your office and stealing all your file cabinets. The bad news in that case is that the robber has all your files. The good news is you know exactly what they have.

Cloudbleed is different. It's more akin to learning that a stranger may have listened in on two employees at your company talking over lunch. The good news is the amount of information for any conversation that's eavesdropped is limited. The bad news is you can't know exactly what the stranger may have heard, including potentially sensitive information about your company.

If a stranger were listening in on a conversation between two employees, the vast majority of what they would hear wouldn't be harmful. But, every once in awhile, the stranger may overhear something confidential. The same is true if a malicious attacker knew about the bug and were trying to exploit it. Given that the data that leaked was random on a per request basis, most requests would return nothing interesting. But, every once in awhile, the data that leaked may return something of interest to a hacker.
the flawless detection method is detailed:

quote:

For a limited period of time we keep a debugging log of requests that pass through Cloudflare. This is done by sampling 1% of requests and storing information about the request and response. We are then able to look back in time for anomalies in HTTP response codes, response or request body sizes, response times, or other unusual behavior from specific networks or IP addresses.

We have the logs of 1% of all requests going through Cloudflare from 8 February 2017 up to 18 February 2017 (when the vulnerability was patched) giving us the ability to look for requests leaking data during this time period. Requests prior to 8 February 2017 had already been deleted. Because we have a representative sample of the logs for the 6,457 vulnerable sites, we were able to parse them in order to look for any evidence someone was exploiting the bug.

Because we had logging on the test web server itself we were able to quickly verify that we had the right data. The test web server had received 31,874 hits on the vulnerable page due to our testing. We had captured very close to 1% of those requests (316 were stored). From the sampled data, we were also able to look at the sizes of responses which showed a clear bimodal distribution. Small responses were from when the bug was fixed, large responses from when the leak was apparent.
good thing only aggressive active attackers would want this kind of data...?!

just read the entire analysis from their... it's very comforting...

DOG AT THE DOOR
Aug 29, 2007

bwha
is nadim still considered a crank

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/01/technology/yahoo-marissa-mayer-security-breach

quote:

Yahoo's (YHOO, Tech30) board decided not to award CEO Marissa Mayer a cash bonus "that was otherwise expected to be paid to her" due to the security incidents, according to a company filing on Wednesday.

On top of that, Mayer chose to give up her annual equity grant for 2017. No dollar amount was provided, but the minimum value for the equity she forfeited would be $12 million, based on the terms of her contract.

"I am the CEO of the company and ... this incident happened during my tenure," Mayer said in a statement. "[I] have expressed my desire that my bonus be redistributed to our company's hardworking employees."

Yahoo also announced that its general counsel, Ron Bell, resigned from the company on Wednesday following an independent investigation into the breaches.

The investigation concluded Yahoo's legal team had "sufficient information" to investigate the hack in 2014, but did not "sufficiently" look into the issue.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

openvpn driver for windows, which can only create tap (i.e. broadcast) and not tun (i.e. p-to-p) networks

what? it can create tun interfaces just fine unless it's doing something bizarre behind the scenes I don't know about

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

windows doesnt support proper ptp and by default openvpn uses a /30 instead

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i finally got l2tp and ipsec set up on my routerboard, i'm proud of myself :3:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

Today, in no particular order: Quickbooks, TeamViewer, Apple ID.

Varkk posted:

We use teamviewer host pushed out via GPO to avoid that. However we still have some external clients with no domain infrastructure where this can be an issue.

MANime in the sheets posted:

At an MSP, it's a relatively cheap way to use a simple program that even users can figure out. For a while we had a website where they could just download a one use one way client. Then internal systems put a new version of that up before help desk had a license for the new version.... we use Kaseya for the most part now. Probably more secure, and requires no intervention from the user for us to remote in.

Except for a few clients that have a prompt on the remote computer asking for access that some users always hit no on, even though YOU ARE LITERALLY ON THE PHONE TELLING THEM YOU ARE REMOTING IN

lampey posted:

Was there ever a resolution to the teamviewer hack?

Varkk posted:

It was a bunch of people using the same email address/pass combo for LinkedIn and teamviewer. Coupled with some malware bundling it for remote access on victims around the same time.

SEKCobra posted:

We use Teamviewer to support our clients, how the gently caress else am I gonna be able to have a end user start a program while on a call and get to their desktop? I give them a link to download our QS and they give me the ID, done.

Jesus Christ.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i find isllight works really good for remote support needs. you get a one time code that your client puts into the isllight client (which is just an exe file, no install, no services, no nothing), and they can then share their desktop if they want. the protocol isn't exactly stellar (it's some fork of vnc iirc), but it's cheap and reliable and super easy.

alternatively, chrome remote desktop? Doesn't that have a remote assistance option? no idea how it works tho.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
i liked how teamviewer managed to create the narrative that they didn't get breached

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

OSI bean dip posted:

i liked how teamviewer managed to create the narrative that they didn't get breached

I am glad my company isn't stupid enough to use Teamviewer, and the CEO is a CCIE in security.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Truga posted:

alternatively, chrome remote desktop? Doesn't that have a remote assistance option? no idea how it works tho.

It does, though I've never had the chance to use it. It works pretty great for me as a regular remote desktop app though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OSI bean dip posted:

hey we didn't get breached, a bunch of our customers did :smug:

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

what? it can create tun interfaces just fine unless it's doing something bizarre behind the scenes I don't know about

did someone say bean tun

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

ratbert90 posted:

I am glad my company isn't stupid enough to use Teamviewer, and the CEO is a CCIE in security.

we had problems with people putting teamviewer on various systems circumventing access controls. it got so bad that i broke my rule about outright blocking poo poo on the firewall

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 2, 2017

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
I guess it easier than finding people who get how to use DW, which also has its own fuckups

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
cjs: talking to a new lady in marketing who is super concerned that b2b emails from surveymonkey are getting flagged as spam when they're sent to herself. i think they're getting flagged because we don't do javascript in emails and i would very much like to keep that setting the way it is

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
anyone coming to vancouver for cansecwest?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Heh

quote:

At 9:37AM PST, an authorized S3 team member using an established playbook executed a command which was intended to remove a small number of servers for one of the S3 subsystems that is used by the S3 billing process. Unfortunately, one of the inputs to the command was entered incorrectly and a larger set of servers was removed than intended.
https://aws.amazon.com/message/41926/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

anthonypants posted:

cjs: talking to a new lady in marketing who is super concerned that b2b emails from surveymonkey are getting flagged as spam when they're sent to herself. i think they're getting flagged because we don't do javascript in emails and i would very much like to keep that setting the way it is

i'd be surprised if surveymonkey emails had javascript in, since their delivery rates would be pretty horrific. can you see them in a message trace? it might be something simple like they're being sent with your domain set as the from, and you have policies in place to drop them if they originate from outside your exchange environment.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah i'd double check the dkim config in surveymonkey.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

i'd be surprised if surveymonkey emails had javascript in, since their delivery rates would be pretty horrific. can you see them in a message trace? it might be something simple like they're being sent with your domain set as the from, and you have policies in place to drop them if they originate from outside your exchange environment.
they're hitting the quarantine, which means the message trace has this to say

quote:

STATUS
Unfortunately, we aren't able to provide an analysis for this message at this time.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Not a security fuckup, just a regular fuckup.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Varkk posted:

ehhhhhhhh

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I want to believe he forgot the where

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Shaggar posted:

yeah i'd double check the dkim config in surveymonkey.

yes check dkim + spf + dmarc

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Some guy from Amazon posted:

code:
$ ansible-playbook -i prod12.inv destroy.pb.yaml
Oh gently caress, I was supposed to do this instead.

code:
$ ansible-playbook -i prod21.inv destroy.pb.yaml
*millions of dollars in lost revenue for customers*

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

*millions of dollars in lost revenue for customers*

If you are only in 1 region and being down for 10 hours costs you significant money you're the fuckup

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/isislovecruft/status/837429812390154240

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jre posted:

If you are only in 1 region and being down for 10 hours costs you significant money you're the fuckup

I don't think one customer had millions of dollars of loss but thousands of customers had thousands of dollars of loss v:shobon:v

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Varkk posted:

you're a fuckup

Varkk posted:

We use teamviewer host pushed out via GPO to avoid that. However we still have some external clients with no domain infrastructure where this can be an issue.

edit: props to ratbert who actually pointed this out several posts up

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 3, 2017

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

cheese-cube posted:

you're a fuckup

:thurman:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Varkk posted:

so tell me, why are you pushing teamviewer via gpo?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

its a lot of effort running around making your environment more vulnerable by hand

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
we had our app pentested recently and i just read their report:

* our app is vulnerable to script upload attacks (they actually upload direct to s3)

* our cookies aren't set as http-only (those particular cookies are created by javascript)

* our webserver software is vulnerable to BEAST (ssl is actually terminated by our load balancers, webserver only sees http traffic)

christ, now i know how bug bounty people feel

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
just wait until you get someone's report that is really a raw output from nessus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Like a .Nessus or just a CSV? Because the second one doesn't seem so bad.

Edit: I ask because I may be the fuckup :(

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 3, 2017

• Locked thread