Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ISIS means different things to different people. To a Sunni Arab living in Syria/Iraq/Libya/Afghanistan, it's a chance to join the biggest most badass gang, provide for your family, satiate all the violent urges deep within your heart, and die gloriously for a meaningful cause. For a Sunni muslim outside these destabilized areas, it's a way for disaffected youths to find meaning in their lives outside the rat race that is modern society. ISIS gives a pre-packaged manifesto for someone who if white would go on a shooting spree, or post violent rape fantasies on 4chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/mysteriousuniv/status/878574375812857858

When will America start deporting and jailing orcas? This has to stop.

My favorite Joe Rogan conspiracy theory is that orcas used to attack men all the time, but collectively as a species decided to stop loving with us after WWII and all the atom bombs we set off. I guess the truce has ended.

BUG JUG posted:

White House Says Trump Tweet Meets Comey Tapes Record Request

Trump lawyers claiming a Tweet rises to the standard of official White House communications. Which just digs the hole deeper regarding Trump getting rid of tweets he dislikes, but also super contemptuous of Congress.

This is like my students who think turning in a one line response to their writing partner an hour before the assignment is due is "good enough" to earn them full points. Glad to see Trump has hired attorneys that are at least as lazy as community college students.

It's more that he only has certain people that will actually work for him, and they're doing their best to dodge, delay, and deflect with what ever they can.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The general consensus among top beltway law firms is that Trump won't listen and won't pay, so he's getting very poor representation at the moment.

Let that sink in: law firms have a chance to run up thousands of billable hours working for a "billionare" president and they're afraid he won't pay.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Hexyflexy posted:

It's pretty good. I still don't understand what IS is. It bugs the crap out of me. I grew up in the UK in an area that had a high Muslim population, I've lived in several as an adult. Loads of Muslim friends, some of whom I've had for decades. It almost feels like the whole thing has nothing to do with Islam at all. I've got no idea what the hell it is though.

Ah well, I don't have to care that much, the whole thing is pretty much getting terminated in every direction possible.

It's fight club for jaded arab men

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Smiling Jack posted:

The general consensus among top beltway law firms is that Trump won't listen and won't pay, so he's getting very poor representation at the moment.

Let that sink in: law firms have a chance to run up thousands of billable hours working for a "billionare" president and they're afraid he won't pay.

Trump absolutely will stiff his new counsel the way he stiffs everyone when they haven't done him a good enough job and then they can battle with Cohen for whatever scraps they can get a court order to cover.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 24, 2017

pick up the pace
Dec 7, 2009

Hexyflexy posted:

It's pretty good. I still don't understand what IS is. It bugs the crap out of me. I grew up in the UK in an area that had a high Muslim population, I've lived in several as an adult. Loads of Muslim friends, some of whom I've had for decades. It almost feels like the whole thing has nothing to do with Islam at all. I've got no idea what the hell it is though.

Ah well, I don't have to care that much, the whole thing is pretty much getting terminated in every direction possible.

You're never going to get a single answer because IS represents many different things to many different people. That said for many of its members IS is a response to almost a century of violence and hopelessness that has been the daily life for the majority of Arabs in Syria and Iraq. If you watch interviews with low level IS fighters about why they joined most will say because it gave them a sense of belonging and power. So you're right in that it's not about Islam, it's about the conditions of daily life for many of these people and religion was just one of the tools that IS used to recruit and gather support

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is there a major IS foothold or zone of control left somewhere besides the collapsing bits in Syria and Iraq? I seem to remember them being in Libya?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/stuartathompson/status/878302828284059648

I'd copy and paste but I'm sure it would be over the character limit.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

He's done it before. That sack of poo poo is a habitual chizzler.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/878605947270078466

rip in piss GOP/Trump base

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I didn't want them to be broke and die, but they're so goddamn gleefully determined to do it to themselves that I kind of feel like we ought to oblige them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Zeroisanumber posted:

I didn't want them to be broke and die, but they're so goddamn gleefully determined to do it to themselves that I kind of feel like we ought to oblige them.

As a Republican voter as long as the poorer people die first I'm ok with this.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

take that libs

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

My favorite Joe Rogan conspiracy theory is that orcas used to attack men all the time, but collectively as a species decided to stop loving with us after WWII and all the atom bombs we set off. I guess the truce has ended.

https://youtu.be/G7WGIH35JBE

Orcas are one of the only species that "plays with their food" like this, so if the orca truce is indeed over, it's gonna make Jaws look like Finding Nemo by comparison.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
gj kushy

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/878668946584424448

nobody knew peace with the israelis and palestinians would be so hard

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/878683069099765760

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

suboptimal posted:

https://youtu.be/G7WGIH35JBE

Orcas are one of the only species that "plays with their food" like this, so if the orca truce is indeed over, it's gonna make Jaws look like Finding Nemo by comparison.

Please. We genocide entire ecosystems by accident.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I wish I could get people to gladly march to their own deaths.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Actually see the cop/hillary thread for something... normal but abnormal at the same time.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 24, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phobophilia posted:

ISIS means different things to different people. To a Sunni Arab living in Syria/Iraq/Libya/Afghanistan, it's a chance to join the biggest most badass gang, provide for your family, satiate all the violent urges deep within your heart, and die gloriously for a meaningful cause. For a Sunni muslim outside these destabilized areas, it's a way for disaffected youths to find meaning in their lives outside the rat race that is modern society. ISIS gives a pre-packaged manifesto for someone who if white would go on a shooting spree, or post violent rape fantasies on 4chan.

So it's a matter of time before we get our first IS Gipper is what you're saying.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, Caro probably doesn't count.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Godholio posted:

Yeah, Caro probably doesn't count.

bless his heart

who did he want to visit with again?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

They're going to be so bad at what the Democrats and Mexicans did to their health care, Trump is sure to win in 2020.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zeroisanumber posted:

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a55824/senate-republican-healthcare-bill/

quote:

Hello, suckers.

Yeah, you. All of you. All of you people who've been buying what the radicalized Republican party has been selling you since Reagan rode out of Trickledown Gulch back in 1980. All of you who easily gobbled up the fictions about welfare queens, and "crazy checks," and big black bucks buying T-Bone steaks, and, most recently, of immigrants come to steal your jobs and cut your throats in the night. All of you who worried so profoundly about your neighbors who were black, or Hispanic, or Muslim that you handed the government to the people who have been picking your pocket and selling off your birthright for going on four decades.

And, especially, all of you morons who bought what the inevitable product of 30 years of fear-driven democratic malpractice was selling across the country in 2016: that he had a plan that would lower costs, cover everybody, and not touch Social Security, Medicaid, or Medicare.

Today is not the day for you to ask for my understanding as to how you're going to afford Grandma's chemo now that she's busted the lifetime cap on her insurance. Today is not the day for you to ask for my sympathy for Grandpa who's going to get his rear end hoisted out of his rest home and dropped onto the couch in your basement family room because his Medicaid ran out. Today is not the day for you to moan into TV cameras about how Cousin Clyde with the opioid problem has to go back to sticking up tourists for his fix because the little hospital up by the mountain closed.

The Senate unveiled its big secret tax-cut plan on Thursday morning. It also contains some elements dealing with healthcare that will make the lives of millions of sick and elderly Americans immeasurably worse, but, since it's actually a tax-cut bill, and it actually does cut taxes for the wealthiest among us, then I guess you can say the strategy was a success. And they say the Republicans can't govern. Hah.

Of course, it's as bad as we all thought it would be. It virtually zeroes out Medicaid down the line – letting it "die on the vine," just the way Newt Gingrich recommended 20 years ago. It forces low-income people to pay more for policies once called "street-surance" back in the day. (John Grisham should sue these guys.They stole the entire plot from The Rainmaker.) There's a lot of "handing back to the states," which can be translated as "Give Sam Brownback more money to hand out to his donors." The bill is such a transparent sham that one of its provisions, the repeal of the tax on investment income for wealthy individuals and families, was made retroactive to the end of last year. There is no reason on god's earth to make this retroactive unless your main purpose is to shove more of the nation's wealth upwards. Which is what this bill is primarily designed to do.

Let me put it in measurements that are particularly of interest to me. By 2050, it is estimated that there will be 16 million people in the United States with Alzheimer's Disease. Right now, in 2017 dollars, the estimated costs of treating and caring for AD patients is $236 billion dollars. Of that, $154 billion is picked up by Medicare and Medicaid. Tell me now how that gap is made up by a plan that virtually eliminates Medicaid entirely by the time we get to 2025. Churches? Families? Winning the Lotto?

A cure?

Fat chance.

So, yeah, suckers. This is what you voted for. In fact, this is what you've been voting for, over and over again, ever since the Death Valley Days of jellybeans and missiles to the mullahs. This bill is the pot of gold at the end of Paul Ryan's personal rainbow. This bill is everything that every young conservative brought up in the luxurious terrariums of wingnut welfare is taught to revere from the first day of his political gestation, right down to its playing-to-the-cheap-seats whack at Planned Parenthood.

So far, four GOP senators have said they cannot vote for the bill. They are Ron (Shreds of Freedom) Johnson of Wisconsin, Aqua Buddha from Kentucky, Mike Lee, the konztitooshunal skolar from Utah, and Tailgunner Ted Cruz. They can't support it (at the moment) because it isn't repeal-ish enough for them. (Translation: The bill still coddles the poor and infirm beyond the limits God intended when He wrote the Constitution.) Now, as the redoubtable Digby often points out, if they were to torpedo this plague ship, it wouldn't be the first time the wingiest members of the tribe saved the day. But my money stays on the notion that they will find enough crazy ideas in the House during reconciliation to satisfy the likes of these four. As for the vaunted Republican "moderates," I have no faith in them whatsoever. I think Rob Portman of Ohio and Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia will get bought off by an increase in the bill's stingy provisions regarding the opioid epidemic. Some version of this creature will stalk its way into law.

I'm sorry, but I can't let the suckers off the hook on this particular Thursday, not when I know in my bones that, in a year or so, there are going to be more expeditions into The Real America in which we hear sad tales about the closing of rural hospitals, and medical bankruptcies, and children who died because the insurance company denied them a life-saving treatment. There will be all kinds of reasons postulated for this terrible state of affairs. "Culture" probably will be one of them, and it will be the stupidest one of all.

What will not be mentioned is that many of these people brought their tragedies on themselves, that voting has consequences, and that using a presidential election to hock a collective loogie at "The Establishment" and at Those People is a particularly dumbass way to participate in democracy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Today I visited the Barack Obama Travel Plaza in Tipperary, Ireland.

Yes, it's an actual place. And yes, it features cardboard cutout of him and Michelle. Along with an assortment of fast food and convenience stores.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

psydude posted:

Today I visited the Barack Obama Travel Plaza in Tipperary, Ireland.

Yes, it's an actual place. And yes, it features cardboard cutout of him and Michelle. Along with an assortment of fast food and convenience stores.

Did it have tacky Obama souvenirs and did you get any?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Now vote Democrat in 2018, you cunts. I was right all along, so you have to come crawling over to my side now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

JESUS CHRIST WE'RE ONLY A TENTH OF THE WAY THROUGH THIS poo poo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dead Reckoning posted:

Now vote Democrat in 2018, you cunts. I was right all along, so you have to come crawling over to my side now.

Crawling is right since most will have to sell their Rascals for insulin.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/zzzzaaaacccchhh/status/878636045251866624

"Hello, fellow humans. I enjoy non-political activities like meeting those who are employed as workers, and eating dinner with people who voted for the President despite his lack of qualifications. I am not a political candidate."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If the response to a reality show conman who puts on the rich guy persona ends up being a techbro billionaire I'm really not sure I could summon the will to vote for either candidate, and holy loving christ is that saying something after the last election.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

bird food bathtub posted:

If the response to a reality show conman who puts on the rich guy persona ends up being a techbro billionaire I'm really not sure I could summon the will to vote for either candidate, and holy loving christ is that saying something after the last election.

We asked if the DNC could run a more unsympathetic person than Hillary and 2020 said, "hold my beer".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

suboptimal posted:

"Hello, fellow humans. I enjoy non-political activities like meeting those who are employed as workers, and eating dinner with people who voted for the President despite his lack of qualifications. I am not a political candidate."
Imagine if Starman wasn't at all uplifting.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

suboptimal posted:

Bottom right. ZUck has tits

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Six Nazi spies were executed in D.C. White supremacists gave them a memorial — on federal land.

:stare:

Honestly liked the one idea of breaking it apart with sledgehammers but I guess the left was tolerant for once.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Six Nazi spies were executed in D.C. White supremacists gave them a memorial — on federal land.

:stare:

Honestly liked the one idea of breaking it apart with sledgehammers but I guess the left was tolerant for once.
They missed an opportunity to stick a game cam out there and see who the fucks are who are visiting it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

JESUS CHRIST WE'RE ONLY A TENTH OF THE WAY THROUGH THIS poo poo.

1/20th

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

They missed an opportunity to stick a game cam out there and see who the fucks are who are visiting it.

I wonder why people lionize countries AMERICA!:911: beat the poo poo out of. Specifically the confederacy and the Nazi's. Why not Rome or Greece, The Holy Roman Empire, at least pick a thing that was mildly successful.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

KildarX posted:

I wonder why people lionize countries AMERICA!:911: beat the poo poo out of. Specifically the confederacy and the Nazi's. Why not Rome or Greece, The Holy Roman Empire, at least pick a thing that was mildly successful.

Yeah, why can't white supremacists be smarter?

• Locked thread