Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Link to prove its real and was in fact posted in December - https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/401449791/#401465240

Temper your expectations until they're basically non-existent, rust clone basically confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Bholder posted:

Ok a realistic, grounded expectation:

The game is going to be an AAA version of Fallout Shelter

I really wouldn’t mind a Fallout themed city builder thing. Sending people into the wasteland, making alliances with tribes, BoS and similar ... could be fun!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

lovely Wizard posted:

Link to prove its real and was in fact posted in December - https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/401449791/#401465240

Temper your expectations until they're basically non-existent, rust clone basically confirmed.

So uh

Crafting?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey, IMO Bethesda can't write FO for poo poo so I'd rather them do some weird city-builder/survival stuff with it since they've made actual progress on getting better at exploring and shooting mutants, as opposed to HATE NEWSPAPERS and FATHER: IM YOUR SON

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lovely Wizard posted:

That makes a lot more sense given that the wasteland would be uninhabited at this point in the timeline.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:lol: so will this be $80?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Perhaps it will be as unto the dark souls

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Few developers look at the Metal Gear Survive model and go "yes, this is the direction we should take the series in."

And Bethesda doesn't even have the excuse that their lead designer was fired in an extremely public way!

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

lovely Wizard posted:

I'm interested in seeing what a competent developer could do with the genre.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

toasterwarrior posted:

Hey, IMO Bethesda can't write FO for poo poo so I'd rather them do some weird city-builder/survival stuff with it since they've made actual progress on getting better at exploring and shooting mutants, as opposed to HATE NEWSPAPERS and FATHER: IM YOUR SON

But without stuff like "Father: I am your son" where will the funny memes come from?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I've never played Rust, but my impression of it is that it's a survival game where you craft weapons, supplies, shelters, and other poo poo? And it's online so other people try to kill you and steal your poo poo?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ApeHawk posted:

The next Fallout is Fallout 76.

Overwatch has a playable character named Soldier 76.

Fallout 76 is a team-based shooter

The team they bought in Austin that's working on it was making Battlecry, a hero shooter.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mazreal posted:

I'm interested in seeing what a competent developer could do with the genre.

Bad news then.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

big nipples big life posted:

The team they bought in Austin that's working on it was making Battlecry, a hero shooter.

Maybe we'll finally get a Bethesda game with good combat mechanics.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

what in the goddamn

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Building poo poo in fallout 4 and playing fallout shelter made me go 'I want a proper vault/vault city building game where it's the core of the game rather than a weird side thing' so I'm happy.

Then again I fuckin' love simulation games.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Why is that Fallout attracts a fanbase that has a decades long attachment to a franchise and must express at every single new iteration how awful and terrible it is and how there wasn't nearly enough content in the last game which I bought at release.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

Sinteres posted:

Bad news then.

Well, compared to Gerald S. Mod i mean

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MadJackal posted:

Why is that Fallout attracts a fanbase that has a decades long attachment to a franchise and must express at every single new iteration how awful and terrible it is and how there wasn't nearly enough content in the last game which I bought at release.

Grogs

Grogs never changes

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Shneak posted:

:lol: so will this be $80?

$76

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MadJackal posted:

As opposed to every other totally satisfied fanbase in games?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

i wonder if the people of vault 76 will turn into some proto enclave nerds and turn up the america gently caress yeah factor to a million

+ or - the war crimes

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MadJackal posted:

Nnnnnnnobody says that?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I say it every day. My every waking moment is spent mumbling curses to the fuckman, Todd.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

frajaq posted:

what in the goddamn

Yah this is me

I went from cautiously-tempered optimism before the teaser, to rapidly-growing hype that it was a new game and not a rerelease, now after reading some of this other stuff I'm mostly at :confused:

I will say that Fallout: Overwatch and Fallout: PUBG/Fortnite would have utterly no appeal for me whatsoever, and I can't even see why anyone would be excited for these types of games--to me, literally nothing about the Fallout IP screams "this series is itching for a Battle Royale!!!!!!" (Maybe I'm biased because I have no interest in these types of games at all).

With an MMO/Borderlands-style game, I'd take more of a "wait-and-see" approach--I've never played Elder Scrolls Online, but I haven't heard good things. The fact that they're at least in part farming the game out to another studio means it could go either way.

A dedicated settlement game could be good if it were designed that way from the ground up--at the very least it would be better than the garbage settlement system from Fallout 4, where they put no thought into integrating it into the game beyond "it would be totally sweet if you could Minecraft!!"

This whole ordeal leaves me with more questions than answers

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
99% of the assets in the teaser seem like they're straight from fallout 4. Same engine, same assets, doubt if there is any online poo poo that its going to be very big. Its a New Vegas style spin off hopefully with some UI improvements for building our new town outside of vault 76.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I put probably 60 hours or so just into fallout 4's settlement building so I am incredibly excited.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MadJackal posted:

Sorry, can you point me to the other developers making these kinds of games that you seem to know about? CD Project is great, but there's still not even a tentative release date for cyberpunk.

People putting hundreds of hours into these games doesn't make them hypocrites when they complain, it means that there's a huge amount of demand that's barely being tapped by a studio that really doesn't seem to be putting much effort in because for now they have an effective monopoly.

So yeah, I'll take whatever I can get to scratch the itch, and I'll bitch about missed opportunities the whole way, because if I can see them, professional developers should be able to as well, especially after New Vegas proved what could be done with the genre.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Keeshhound posted:

Sorry, can you point me to the other developers making these kinds of games that you seem to know about? CD Project is great, but there's still not even a tentative release date for cyberpunk.

People putting hundreds of hours into these games doesn't make them hypocrite s when they complain, it means that there's a huge amount of demand that's barely being tapped by a studio that really doesn't seem to be putting much effort in because for now they have an effective monopoly.

So yeah, I'll take whatever I can get to scratch the itch, and I'll bitch about missed opportunities the whole way, because if I can see them, professional developers should be able to as well, especially after New Vegas proved what could be done with the genre.

When you play a game you lose the right to post about it. Only an impartial observer can truly give you their opinion on whether a game is good or not.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

My only problem is that it's yet another Fallout game.

Please stop.

I'm so tired about hearing every game about "WHAT ARE GHOULS?!" or "ARE YOU THE BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL?!" and of course "SUPER MUTANTS? But no FEV? THAT MAKES NO SENSE DURR".

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Bholder posted:

Please stop.

I'm so tired about hearing every game about "WHAT ARE GHOULS?!" or "ARE YOU THE BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL?!" and of course "SUPER MUTANTS? But no FEV? THAT MAKES NO SENSE DURR".

So stop playing them?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bholder posted:

Please stop.

Most of those things shouldn't exist yet at this point in the timeline.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Frankston posted:

So stop playing them?

I just know Bethesda can do better, and usually with Fallout games the one thing that holds them back is the Fallout name

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
There is an actual medical condition some people have which makes their heart explode if they don't pay full retail and play every fallout game for 150 hours. Please Todd, please, spare these people.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bholder posted:

I just know Bethesda can do better, and usually with Fallout games the one thing that holds them back is the Fallout name

maybe the one thing holding you back is the Fallout thread

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Doorknob Slobber posted:

99% of the assets in the teaser seem like they're straight from fallout 4. Same engine, same assets, doubt if there is any online poo poo that its going to be very big. Its a New Vegas style spin off hopefully with some UI improvements for building our new town outside of vault 76.

This and I still believe Chris Avellone is involved somehow. Which means a spin-off with the possibility of being as well written as New Vegas's DLC.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bholder posted:

Please stop.

It's a good setting, Brent.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I can't say I'm enthusiastic about an online Fallout when Bethesda's idea of an online Elder Scrolls ended up being a first-person WoW clone where you had to keep your camera pointed at your targets.

On the other hand, if that 4chan post is true and it's an open world survival game with building ala Rust/H1Z1/Wurm/ARK/etc it could be fun running a blatant raider group with goons and ruining everyone else's day by the usual benefit of teamwork being OP :shrug:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bholder posted:

It goes back to my point about how there's a loving boatload of demand for this poo poo and one company that's realized it can just shovel a half-assed turd out every couple of years because no one is interested in contesting them for the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

chaosapiant posted:

This and I still believe Chris Avellone is involved somehow. Which means a spin-off with the possibility of being as well written as New Vegas's DLC.

Loathsome Road: The Game. You just walk from one end of I-76 to the other while someone babbles on about nothing the entire time.