Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I always wondered what a boxing anime where they cannibalized the other boxer would be like

isnt that just Baki, specifically Jack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fabricated posted:

Her backstory is boring IMO and I don't like what they did with the big connected character either, also Trickster Domain sucks. You can spec out of it but in terms of default specializations she got the worst of it.

I like Shadowheart, but yeah making Trickster her default Domain was a weird move on the part of the developers because it's literally the worst cleric domain in the game. Repecing her was an immediate quality of life improvement.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think it was a rougher form of you, yeah. I ended up asking a friend who knows Japanese about the image before because I was sus about the my undead wife bit. Ended up she was more calling her something akin to a MILF lol.

I would have bounce off way quicker than I did on BG3 without Shadowheart. She was like the one member of the party that left really any sort of impression on me. I personally think someone nervously telling you new details about their evil god or whatever is more cuter than whatever else was going on in that game. Like, babe, I don't know poo poo about the lore, you don't got to worry you worship uh, Knife-Bleeder The Ender.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

if you dont like astarion because he's a bit bitchy at the beginning you're missing out on a great character arc. all bg3 party members are good. except for wyll he's a little boring.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Astarion has one of the better character arcs over the course of the game but until they added the epilogue his part in the more good-guy endings is pretty much a big nothing compared to most of the party. Wyll has connections to major characters and places and kinda barely feels like he's there- he's a bit flatter than Shadowheart even but Warlocks whip total rear end so he's a better party member in his default spec.

If we're talking Delicious in Dungeon DnD classes an Eldritch Blast warlock or honestly a paladin would've been able to solve everyone's problems here.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 18, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'character classes that can 'solve' Dungeon Meshi'

https://twitter.com/rustedwirewitch/status/1791072020748210510

--

poorly-drawn-mdzs.tumblr.com

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 18, 2024

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, it's not like Wizardry invented "evil wizard with a backwards name waiting at the bottom of their giant nonsense dungeon," that goes back to Zagyg sitting at the end of Castle Greyhawk back in the 70s, and Lord knows what mélange of early fantasy fiction THAT'S inspired by. It's references to references to references (not that that's necessarily a bad or easily avoidable thing anyway)

It goes back at least a century: The Fortress Unvanquishable, Save for Sacnoth from 1908 is the earliest thing I can think of that recognizably feels like a D&D dungeon crawl, complete with evil wizard at the end. It's a pretty fun read, and it inspired a lot of the other stuff that also influenced D&D, as well as giving its name to the JRPG dev studio Sacnoth.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

is toshiro a code name?

Yes, his real name is Shuro.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

God drat Izutsumi is such a turd.

I love her.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

we found a cat under a dumpster and its always hissing and biting and clawing at us can we keep it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It wouldn't claw at you if you didn't keep trying to pet it while it's hissing, dumbass.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Something I find interesting is that this may be the first time someone has pushed backed and vocalized to Laios (and, by extension, Senshi) why they don't like to eat monsters, yet I don't think he internalized it??? Marcille actually explains why people view monsters as unclean, but I don't think Laios takes her seriously given he's seen her eat all sorts of monsters already. Izutsumi mentions superstitions but Laios just #FactsAndLogics his way past it, plus he sees her enjoying the Barometz in the end as confirmation of his ideology. And I suspect Laios wouldn't mind if eating monsters turned him into one, either.

I do think Laios and Senshi need the reality check, given they're at the stage where they're just feeding other people monsters without their knowledge. Like how they tried to feed a devastated Marcille some Harpy omelet after the Chimera Falin encounter, or Senshi adding a Walking Mushroom to the risotto he made for Izutsumi.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

amigolupus posted:

Something I find interesting is that this may be the first time someone has pushed backed and vocalized to Laios (and, by extension, Senshi) why they don't like to eat monsters, yet I don't think he internalized it??? Marcille actually explains why people view monsters as unclean, but I don't think Laios takes her seriously given he's seen her eat all sorts of monsters already. Izutsumi mentions superstitions but Laios just #FactsAndLogics his way past it, plus he sees her enjoying the Barometz in the end as confirmation of his ideology. And I suspect Laios wouldn't mind if eating monsters turned him into one, either.

I do think Laios and Senshi need the reality check, given they're at the stage where they're just feeding other people monsters without their knowledge. Like how they tried to feed a devastated Marcille some Harpy omelet after the Chimera Falin encounter, or Senshi adding a Walking Mushroom to the risotto he made for Izutsumi.

For the latter I think Senshi didn't think it was a Walking Mushroom?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it was only starting to develop legs that would one day be used for walking. Therefore it's not a monster. yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

amigolupus posted:

And I suspect Laios wouldn't mind if eating monsters turned him into one, either.

He says that almost explicitly in this very episode. "If only it were that easy." The translation I saw seemed to fumble that line though.

Unlucky7 posted:

For the latter I think Senshi didn't think it was a Walking Mushroom?

The way he said it was more like "I'm going to pretend I didn't see that" than an honest belief.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 18, 2024

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it was very "what she doesn't know won't hurt her" yeah

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, it's not like Wizardry invented "evil wizard with a backwards name waiting at the bottom of their giant nonsense dungeon," that goes back to Zagyg sitting at the end of Castle Greyhawk back in the 70s, and Lord knows what mélange of early fantasy fiction THAT'S inspired by. It's references to references to references (not that that's necessarily a bad or easily avoidable thing anyway)

The sorcerer in the 'Sorcerer's Apprentice' segment of Disney's 1940 film Fantasia isn't named on screen but in the script he was called Yen Sid. They use his name in later projects like Kingdom Hearts.

Robert E. Howard's 1933 Conan story Black Colossus has an ancient wizard Thugra Khotan who is brought back to life and changes his name to Natohk. Everyone pretty much figures it out but Conan simply doesn't care, he's gonna stab him whoever he is. :black101:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm finally getting around the watching the latest episode and noticed that the party is wearing slippers made from the stairwell toads from a ways back. Was this detail also included in the manga? Regardless, that's a pretty neat detail! Is it to keep them from slipping on the snow and ice?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

little help here

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

little help here

disco elysium character who is hunting cryptids

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Clarste posted:

He says that almost explicitly in this very episode. "If only it were that easy." The translation I saw seemed to fumble that line though.

The way he said it was more like "I'm going to pretend I didn't see that" than an honest belief.

ninjewtsu posted:

it was very "what she doesn't know won't hurt her" yeah

Now I know this isn't a 1:1 comparison, but if I were to eat at a restaurant and asked the staff not include a specific ingredient in the dish (due to either allergies, religious reasons, or vegetarian reasons if it's got meat), I'd be ticked off if the cook had slipped in said ingredient in my food because he thinks he knows what's good for me or thinks the dish would taste too bland without it.

Senshi means well, and the situation works out well in that Izutsumi does need a more balanced nutrition, but I still thought that it was a lovely thing for him to do in that moment.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

being slightly lovely to the person who is at that moment threatening your friend's life is above-board, i think

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

amigolupus posted:

Now I know this isn't a 1:1 comparison, but if I were to eat at a restaurant and asked the staff not include a specific ingredient in the dish (due to either allergies, religious reasons, or vegetarian reasons if it's got meat), I'd be ticked off if the cook had slipped in said ingredient in my food because he thinks he knows what's good for me or thinks the dish would taste too bland without it.

Senshi means well, and the situation works out well in that Izutsumi does need a more balanced nutrition, but I still thought that it was a lovely thing for him to do in that moment.

True, but it's a good thing he did from a writing standpoint, because otherwise Senshi comes off as rather flawless and hyper-competent compared to the rest of the cast at times. Dude needs to be his own brand of weird and lovely more often to balance with everyone being THEIR own distinct brands of weird and lovely

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, this isn't a restaurant, they don't have a lot of non-monster options

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Asterite34 posted:

True, but it's a good thing he did from a writing standpoint, because otherwise Senshi comes off as rather flawless and hyper-competent compared to the rest of the cast at times. Dude needs to be his own brand of weird and lovely more often to balance with everyone being THEIR own distinct brands of weird and lovely

Falin isn't weird and lovely, she's just weird. :3:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've been 100% on board with eating monsters from the get-go and have been struggling to understand the resistance, so the "unclean" belief is coming a little late for me. I've been asking myself why everyone's so inefficient and wasteful this whole drat time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Das Boo posted:

I've been 100% on board with eating monsters from the get-go and have been struggling to understand the resistance, so the "unclean" belief is coming a little late for me. I've been asking myself why everyone's so inefficient and wasteful this whole drat time.

I'm torn because I would defo eat monsters no problem but I'm also a lovely little guy whos a picky eater and would probably find.. some of it gross, though nothing that's shown up yet has been too gross. I probably wouldn't be as rude about it as Izutsumi, though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Before this explanation I always just assumed that most people associated monsters with traumatic violence and danger, like when Kabru had an entire montage play through his head when offered some harpy omelettes. From there it's not too much of a leap to judge monsters as unclean in a spiritual sense, though maybe not literal (unless the monster was poisonous or ate something foul first)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well Senshi pointed out that the lobster monster Laios tried to cook in the first ep would give you the runs if you ate the wrong parts.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 18, 2024

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

MiracleFlare posted:

Before this explanation I always just assumed that most people associated monsters with traumatic violence and danger, like when Kabru had an entire montage play through his head when offered some harpy omelettes. From there it's not too much of a leap to judge monsters as unclean in a spiritual sense, though maybe not literal (unless the monster was poisonous or ate something foul first)

I think that's just a Kabru thing, his flashbacks seemed to show his hometown being hit with some Berserk Behelit poo poo that's a bit worse than the norm for this setting

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Well Senshi pointed out that the lobster monster Laios tried to cook in the first ep would give you the runs if you at the wrong parts.

Yep, and then they briefly wondered about the ethical implications of eating the dragon that ate Falin, not that this ended up stopping them or even her later.

the MGS3 vulture easter egg but instead it's just Falin and the dragon chilling in the river of sorrow

(also now that I think of it, living armor would probably be a heavy metals risk if eaten regularly.)

Asterite34 posted:

I think that's just a Kabru thing, his flashbacks seemed to show his hometown being hit with some Berserk Behelit poo poo that's a bit worse than the norm for this setting

True, but even before that reveal I suspected some people were put off by the idea of eating something that could've killed (and possibly eaten) people already. Not that I think a walking mushroom could accomplish that though

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 18, 2024

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://x.com/nyachooh/status/1791800907639726105

https://x.com/nyachooh/status/1791438739497005120

https://x.com/nyachooh/status/1787867823542309159

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 18, 2024

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Dwarf Astarion is serving

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I liked the gag of senshi going "what Izutsumi doesn't know can't hurt them" with the walking mushroom with the reveal that she just doesn't like mushrooms anyways. Or at least thats how I interpreted it. Portobello, shemeji or walking she don't like banana mushroom.

That said it is kind of a lovely thing for senshi to do and he might be like many in-laws on /r/relationships who just don't believe in food sensitivities. He does seem like the type, especially if he is so used to being alone. I think with the crew he's in he'd be able to go "hmmmm digestion varies like nutrition does between individuals."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Yeah as a character trait senshi just generally thinks he knows better than others and isn't super respectful of what they value or think is important. That early episode where he pissed chilchuck off and made chilchuck use the trap room to cook was the big neon sign for this turning on, chilchuck was obviously getting extremely frustrated with senshi and senshi just didn't care at all. He even intentionally agitated chilchuck more to prove a point against chilchuck trying to establish that he should be listened to about traps. Honestly the izutsumi mushroom thing is small fry for him in that department.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Marcille's point that monsters are an unknown vector of disease compared to domesticated animals is a good point. Also like lots of people get pretty squeamish about eating monkey or bugs or other unfamiliar things they might find distasteful even if they don't have super solid reasoning why.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I'd eat most things shown so far but treasure bugs is probably where I'd draw the line. The way Marcille described the centipede's texture was just :gonk: Maybe as sorbet I could ignore it though

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It's sort of lowkey but I do like the story exploring how much your culture and exposure affects what you eat and consider normal. As you say, even in our non-monster world that's a factor in what people will and won't eat. Like, Laios had never had squid or octopus before even though Marcille had and she even enjoys eating it raw. Similarly while Marcille would have no problem with sheep, the underripe barometz looking like an embryo was over the line for her, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Most people having an aversion to eating monsters makes sense on the surface if you think about it like it's real life.

Eating horse meat is largely taboo and illegal in the US, despite it being fine in many other cultures. While that one doesn't bother me personally, I would be extremely bothered by eating some other animals even if it was technically safe and I was assured it was delicious.

Most people here would not want to eat bugs, or worms, or snails, ect. Yet there are of course cultures where it's done. In episode 1 they eat a giant scorpion, how many of you are thrilled at eating a scorpion irl?

Plus as marcille says in this episode, there ARE good reasons to regulate and be careful about which populations of animals we consume. There are a ton of major diseases which are believed to have jumped species due to humans eating animals, such as ebola, aids/hiv, bird flu/swine flu, and covid.

This is not even getting into whether or not the monsters have eaten humans, which is also brought up in episode 1.