Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m really glad I bought all my Kenner SW stuff 3-4 years ago because a lot of it has doubled in price since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if that How They Were Made Netflix series had something to do with it.

The biggest price jumps did seem to coincide with that. Also the super 7 vintage line probably renewed interest in older figures. Also, there are a couple big motu sellers on Ebay that have been manipulating the market by buying out any and all cheap stuff and relisting at ridiculous prices.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got a Figurarts Goku at Target even though I haven't watched any Dragonball shows in over a decade. Its a really nice figure. The $35 I spent on him relative to the cost of Monsterarts Godzillas makes him feel like a bargain.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Hahah, third person I’ve seen mention spotting that figure at Target. Weird.

It’s an excellent figure. Careful though, it’s tough to stop at just one!

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
My Storm Collectibles Jushin Liger finally arrived, and it's the most perfect figure I've seen in a long time, the designs like a cross between Motuc and Figuarts. I'd planned to pose him with some old Jakks Ultimo Dragon and Rey Mysterio figures as they're about that height but he's way bulkier than those to the point of ridiculousness. He's like that in real life, but still, think I'll probably pose him with MOTUC once I get moved in October and finally have display cases again.

Grant DaNasty posted:

What do you all limit yourself to?

I collect a lot of different toys, Stuff I'm all in 100 percent on :

GI Joe Classified - though none of my preorders have yet to arrive and the exclusive snake eyes allotments to Singapore were cut so badly I haven't gotten one yet. For the retro line I've already got the base figures they're repainting but I'll probably get the vehicles again anyway.

MOTU origins, and almost certainly the upcoming Kevin Smith line and probably the third line they're aiming at children as well. I'm a She Ra completest too but doesn't look like any toys on the horizon there.

Earthrise Transformers. Up until Takara raised the prices a year or two back I was all in for Masterpieces, but I haven't bought one since Megatron. Will possibly buy these new RED figures but am going to wait and see them in hand.

Figuarts Ultraman and Kamen Rider stuff but only for the Showa era. I like Hesei and modern stuff too, but there's just too much of it so I got to lay down some limits. I do showa monsterarts too.

Figuarts Sailor Moon, this hasn't been a thing for a while but all the anime repaints coming out next month will be huge. I do a lot of different Figuarts stuff, this tends to cross over with my spouse who's more into anime than me, and they're much cheaper and easier to get at retail here then in the west.

DC collectibles BTAS/JLU universe stuff. I've also got curatorial pretensions for Batman and Wonder Woman so I tend to get figures for them in whatever size or scale is out there, I want to have definitive interpretations of each version of them if I can. I'm taking a wait and see approach to where McFarlane goes before I start buying another DC line, after the high hopes I had for Icons.

I was a completest for Black series from the start of the line until last year when I had a moment of clarity with that latest ROTJ luke in my hands. How many more luke skywalkers do I need? of course it's an upgrade but they've all been upgrades since power of the force. Something inside me just became quiet and still for the first time in almost 40 years of star wars collecting and since then I've only been buying prequel, clone wars and rebels stuff for myself. my spouse collects the mandalorian figures too so those are displayed together.

Stuff I dabble in:

Marvel Legends but I would prefer they were more comic book looking in terms of sculpt, so most of the marvel stuff I'm excited about now comes from Mafex. I would love artists series for marvel like dc direct used to do, a Jack Kirby or John Romita Sr line would be a dream as I like the pop culture slurpee cup iconography a lot. I bought all the 80th anniversary legends last year and loved them but even those I would like to see be much more bright and colorful. My Spouse collects the MCU legends though so lot of them around the house.

I get Figmas when it's for stuff I like, the last year that's pretty much only been Gridman stuff, I do get FGO figure too but only for characters I own in the game in a vain hope to save money. When I get figma's I love them more than any other figures in terms of design and quality but it's typically only a few figures a year. Similarly I do buy wrestling figures, but only ones that are masked.

I do some SOC stuff too, but mostly Go Nagai cartoons, especially Mazinger. If I could afford it I'd buy everything they put out though as I love all the popy and godaiken poo poo and the designs of the line are always amazing.

I would collect more Macross and Evangelion stuff, but all the metal build and DX stuff doesn't get allotted to Singapore in anything more than handfuls, I'm hoping against all hope one of the dealers here might be able to score me that Roy Fokker Vf this november. If you want to see Cyber rage at it's worst check out the Singapore P bandai page when the Gundman metal builds go on sale, it's like what I'm hearing about target preorders but with murderous rage turned up to 11.

I wish I did more 12 inch figures, I collect vintage 12 inch joes and one day I need to put together a complete 12 inch kenner Star Wars set. So I've usually only bought those two brands in that scale, but there's not been any joes since the hot toys Movie stuff, and I was only doing sideshow clones for Star Wars. Going to get the hot toys Spiderverse stuff though. I do some Barbies, mostly vintage reissues or special editions like the Bowie, Wonder Woman or Star Wars stuff.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://giantoy.com/products/pre-order-1-6-scale-mr-toys-mt2018-03-he-man-custom-kit?variant=13755006779455

Neat! Weird hair, but neat!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today is my murdered best friends birthday so i'm a little mopey but man, I really, really want my MOTU collection back. Maybe I just want a piece of yesterday back before it's gone forever.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Grant DaNasty posted:

What do you all limit yourself to?

There are so many lines that I'm interested in, but I only have so much money and shelf space. Mythic Legions is my main focus, but I'm allowing myself to buy MOTU and Conan (keeping the sword & sorcery theme).

MOTU has so much drat stuff though. I have the Mondo 1/6 scale figures which I love, a few Super 7 Filmation figures, and the Mega Construx Castle Grayskull. So I really don't need to get into Origins, but if I find them in the wild I know I'll end up getting them.
Figuarts - Dragon Ball
Figuarts - Showa-era Ultraman
BUZZmod - Demon Slayer
BUZZmod - Full Metal Alchemist
AMAZING YAMAGUCHI - X-Men
AMAZING YAMAGUCHI - My Hero Academia
figma - Berserk
figma - My Hero Academia
figma - Nintendo (some)
1000Toys - Hellboy
Super7 - TMNT Ultimates
Mezco - Horror & Silent Screamers
MonsterArts - Godzilla (some)
Damtoys - Death Gas Station
MAFEX - Hush
MAFEX - The Dark Knight Returns
NECA - Guillermo del Toro

Then I'll occasionally get one-offs for stuff I love, like the Future Boy Conan from figma. That sounds like a lot, but the only really active line is Dragon Ball Figuarts (and maybe Super7 TMNT if they keep up their pace). The others do 1-2 releases a year, or are mostly dead lines (figma Berserk, NECA GdT, etc). The main limiter is that I only buy figures for stuff I love, and I only pick one line per show/comic/genre, except for the Yamaguchi MHA because I love the AY line and those releases feel special and distinct. But I don't, for example, collect MAFEX/ML/Mezco/statue/whatever X-Men because I don't need or want more than one Wolverine.

Rhyno posted:

Today is my murdered best friends birthday so i'm a little mopey but man, I really, really want my MOTU collection back. Maybe I just want a piece of yesterday back before it's gone forever.
I'm sorry, that's awful

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
https://storehorsemen-com.3dcartstores.com/MYTHIC-LEGIONS-POWER-CON-DEBUT_c_96.html

still have some hordak/she-ra tributes left, surprisingly, they sold out in 10 minutes yesterday, got one today.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Screencaps from the MOTU Origins Power Con Panel:

Confirmed upcoming figures for 2021: Mer-man, Stratos, Roboto, Ninjor, Battle Armor He-Man, Battle Armor Skeletor, Clamp Champ, She-Ra, Zodak, Panthor (non-flocked), and Ram Man.

Land Shark for $30.

Keldor and Kronis as a Target exclusive Two-Pack for $30, and flocked Panthor as a Walmart Exclusive for $40.

In summer of 2021 the are coming out with Masterverse: The Evolution of He-Man, a new 7" line.

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 10, 2020

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
Gooood lord I'm gonna be buying a lot of motu stuff over the next couple years. Ninjor! Clamp Champ! That Keldor 2 pack! Daaaamn. This line rules.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I was surprised that there was no Castle Grayskull announcement.

They said that in 2021 the line opens up to other stores, not just Walmart. So the figures from the first two waves should start being available for online toy stores. They wouldn't confirm if the Four Horsemen would be involved with the Masterverse line.

Good lord, I'm going to be drowning in MOTU figures lol.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
It's funny how certain kids got into specific shows/toys while others didn't, but I was born in '84 so maybe it's a generational thing. I never liked GI Joes, MOTU, Voltron, but loved X-Men, TMNT and Ghostbusters, so I'm thankful when I see the MOTU and GI Joe stuff it does nothing for me.

That said, I was at Target today with my kids and saw a Snake Eyes on the shelf and bought it to support the line and because he looks cool. Also the forever goofy looking distorted bodies of the MOTU toys will never not look dumb to me yet that 7" He-Man is something I'll probably pick up too. This god drat virus has made me buy things just to have something to do at home.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Why are they all bow legged

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Louisgod posted:

It's funny how certain kids got into specific shows/toys while others didn't, but I was born in '84 so maybe it's a generational thing. I never liked GI Joes, MOTU, Voltron, but loved X-Men, TMNT and Ghostbusters, so I'm thankful when I see the MOTU and GI Joe stuff it does nothing for me.

That said, I was at Target today with my kids and saw a Snake Eyes on the shelf and bought it to support the line and because he looks cool. Also the forever goofy looking distorted bodies of the MOTU toys will never not look dumb to me yet that 7" He-Man is something I'll probably pick up too. This god drat virus has made me buy things just to have something to do at home.

I was born in 85’, and bought all the same stuff you did off the shelf, but I loved the G.I. Joes and Transformers is find at flea markets and garage sales. I never got into He-Man, but my elementary school’s latchkey program had a huge collection of them that I’d play with. Mostly the villains.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah, I think it's mostly generational. Whatever you got for christmas when you were like six years old.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Gripweed posted:

Why are they all bow legged

It’s the style from the original figures.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Djarum posted:

It’s the style from the original figures.

Why were they all bow legged

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I was born in 1980 and He-Man was the first toyline I remember playing with. I was also into GI Joe, Voltron, and the Real Ghostbusters.

Gripweed posted:

Why were they all bow legged

So they can ride giant cats of course.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's the best thing to wake up to. They're going nuts with this line and I love it.

7 inch scale? Bigger than Classics?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Grant DaNasty posted:

So they can ride giant cats of course.

Then the line should include at least one giant cat for every humanoid character

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Land Sharknwas such a great vehicle. I really hope this line takes off and they release updates to a bunch of the vehicles. It'll be easier than tracking down vintage and I can just concentrate on putting an Eternia together.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Captain Morose posted:

Yeah, I think it's mostly generational. Whatever you got for christmas when you were like six years old.

Born in ‘87. I got almost exclusively Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Batman and X-Men and the only one of those I’m still interested in is Batman. :shrug:

Paging is LouIsGod: I think you were asking about small stands for your Marvel Legends before? Can of Beams is making exactly that. You might want to check ‘em out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, what a mood shaker that was. I was very lovely yesterday but fuckin Clamp Champ has saved the day.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nanigans posted:

Paging is LouIsGod: I think you were asking about small stands for your Marvel Legends before? Can of Beams is making exactly that. You might want to check ‘em out.
Do you have a link for this?

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Land Sharknwas such a great vehicle. I really hope this line takes off and they release updates to a bunch of the vehicles. It'll be easier than tracking down vintage and I can just concentrate on putting an Eternia together.

The Land Shark was awesome and is a definite pick up. That was involved in all my toy battles as a kid. Everyone seemed to drive it, He-man, Skeletor, Ninja Turtles, Centurions, Joes, and on occasion it would battle Transformers. Land Shark didn’t give a poo poo, it would fight for any cause.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Xenomrph posted:

Do you have a link for this?

https://www.canofbeams.com

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That guy makes cool effect add-ons in general, although they can be pricy.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I think the Origins She-Ra figure announcement may have been spoiled during the panel. She wasn't on any of the slides, they weren't saying anything about her, and then all of a sudden everyone saw that she was on the back of the Panthor packaging with Zodak when they were talking about Panthor. So they had to acknowledge that yes she's coming out next year.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Aphrodite posted:

That guy makes cool effect add-ons in general, although they can be pricy.

Yeah, and a lot of them sell out super quick.

These seem both affordable and easy to mass produce.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah they're like a "this is my favorite character" enhancement kind of thing. You wouldn't be buying effects more expensive than the figure itself for everyone.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Captain Morose posted:

Makes sense. Born in ‘90, so my 5th Christmas was that first line of roided out Hasbro Star Wars figures.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Grant DaNasty posted:

I think the Origins She-Ra figure announcement may have been spoiled during the panel. She wasn't on any of the slides, they weren't saying anything about her, and then all of a sudden everyone saw that she was on the back of the Panthor packaging with Zodak when they were talking about Panthor. So they had to acknowledge that yes she's coming out next year.

But will it come with felt fur that will peel off and get gross immediately upon getting wet?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He is indeed flocked!

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Man, what a mood shaker that was. I was very lovely yesterday but fuckin Clamp Champ has saved the day.

I did not expect to see Clamp Champ or Ninjor this early in the line. Between those guys and Scareglow they really came out swinging.

I wonder if theyll do movie figures, or branch out into the full she ra roster, or even get into new adventures guys. It'd be cool as gently caress to see that stuff in 5.5. Or... my god, deluxe laser light remakes? Oh my.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if this line will shake vintage prices at all.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I wonder if this line will shake vintage prices at all.

I was thinking the same. The designs are similar enough, and with the added articulation, low price and availability, I would think that vintage would lose some appeal for anyone that's not a hardcore vintage collector. $200 for the original clamp champ vs $15 for a shiny new jointed version is a pretty easy choice to make if you just want a clamp champ to play with.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
I guess there's some precedent for remakes not really affecting vintage prices (star wars retro collection, real ghostbusters, tmnt). But if Origins ends up more readily available as they said it would be in today's panel, I could see it actually having an impact.

Edit: I need to get better at not quoting my own drat posts when I mean to edit. Yeesh.

Captain Morose fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 10, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man I am still pissed off about owning Ram Man. I got him for a birthday present, and like... holy poo poo the only thing with less articulation would have been maybe a rock.

I was a wee lad, but even then I knew if you couldn't move the majority of the toy, you were kinda limited in what you could do. Dude's legs weren't even separate. Just one weird appendage that loaded up into his body and didn't come out maybe 80% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Lame, the rise of evil pack is a target exclusive if I read that correctly, never seeing that one lol