Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

We've been playing so much Led Zeppelin on the radio that I'm kind of stunned. They play maybe one song from the past 20 years every hour or two. Everything else is Zeppelin or Van Halen or Lynyrd Skynnyrd or some other classic rock song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Work implemented a new policy that requires everyone to close at least once a week or twice bi-weekly. They did not warn anyone ahead of time so nobody could adjust their availability for this and schedules are scheduled out for two weeks. Naturally all the parents and people with second jobs are pissed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bumper Stickup posted:

Work implemented a new policy that requires everyone to close at least once a week or twice bi-weekly. They did not warn anyone ahead of time so nobody could adjust their availability for this and schedules are scheduled out for two weeks. Naturally all the parents and people with second jobs are pissed.

Looks like they should have thought of that before they got another job or decided to have a kid.

No seriously, that's what management thinks.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Bumper Stickup posted:

they've tried to do this with our managers a few times but it gets axed after the first week. They'll be put on the schedule to close, but then it's like, "oh but we have an order" or "oh we have inventory" or "oh so-and-so can't work mornings so we'll have to switch shifts" and it's just a wash.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I dunno how this is gonna play out. Supposedly it's to help with us having such a thin crew so everyone (except team leads lol) have to pitch in to help. Which just translates to less people on the floor at any given time. Hope you enjoy covering toys, sporting goods, and pets!

Most peole I've spoken to say that if they can't swap shifts they'll just call out of work.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

cephalopods posted:

Our in-store music has been off for a week and it turns out that bad music is better than silence. Maybe because it allowed me to focus my hate on Wonderwall instead of, like, myself and my surroundings

Anyway nobody seems to know if this is intentional or something's just broken

I loved it when our radio went out for a couple weeks. It was so quiet and restful. And how can you hate on Wonderwall?!

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Soonmot posted:

I loved it when our radio went out for a couple weeks. It was so quiet and restful. And how can you hate on Wonderwall?!

It's certainly not the good Oasis song but I really don't know why I threw it under the bus rather than any of the 4(!) Panic at the Disco tracks I'd normally hear every day

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys know Offspring put out a new album? I did because I heard it everyday multiple times at 4am. It's not even that bad, sounds just like their old poo poo, but hearing it all the time was some poo poo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You ever get chewed out by your boss, but you're distracted by "Karma Chameleon" playing on the radio and focusing on that instead of whatever it was that you hosed up?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We have been dead slow all week. Today I didn't have a single pickup or delivery from 12:00 to 5:00 p.m.

The funny thing is, yesterday I was chatting with the manager at one of my pickup locations, and he was furious, saying that last week was a total cluster, so many orders he submitted were canceled, it's a waste of time. And all I did was smile and tell him I'm sorry I was out part of last week, but what I really wanted to tell him was, if you had your stuff ready in the pickup window, if your stores actually had your stuff ready and labeled and for us to be able to pick up and not have to walk into the customer facing part of your store and bother you Non-Stop about getting what we need, we would not have to reschedule, we would not have to cancel orders, but unfortunately they're always so busy, in their words, and they are most of the time, but there are many stores that actually can have their stuff and do have their stuff ready before we arrive, but in the delivery window. and then there are some stores like where this manager is from, and nothing is ever ready, and they mutter that they just been so busy they couldn't be bothered to pick one item off the shelf and slap a label on it and leave it on the delivery shelf for us.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

You guys know Offspring put out a new album? I did because I heard it everyday multiple times at 4am. It's not even that bad, sounds just like their old poo poo, but hearing it all the time was some poo poo

Yeah, repetition can ruin even decent music

Star Man posted:

You ever get chewed out by your boss, but you're distracted by "Karma Chameleon" playing on the radio and focusing on that instead of whatever it was that you hosed up?

I've had a manager stop mid-sentence and lose her train of thought because Spice Girls - Wannabe started playing

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I genuinely want to know who at corporate is responsible for our playlist since 95% of it is what you'd expect and then every so often, Jamiroquai, Sturgill Simpson, or Evanescence pops up.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Yeah, but My Immortal was top 40 at least

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

D34THROW posted:

Yeah, but My Immortal was top 40 at least

Oh, huh. I had no idea since I would've been like 6 at the time. It's also actually "Bring Me to Life" which plays every so often, which I think is funnier.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

symbolic posted:

I genuinely want to know who at corporate is responsible for our playlist since 95% of it is what you'd expect and then every so often, Jamiroquai, Sturgill Simpson, or Evanescence pops up.

At the kitchen I used to work at the front of house radio was this mix of popular music...but with needless techno edits for some reason. So you'd hear something by Imagine Dragons and then there would be a gap in the center where someone would insert some pointless techno music in.

It was utterly maddening and anyone who spent any time listening to it would scream at least once "Just play the normal song, damnit!" when we had no customers in.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There was a really horrible techno remix of Rasputin on our work playlist for 2 months and I hated every second it was on.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

symbolic posted:

Oh, huh. I had no idea since I would've been like 6 at the time. It's also actually "Bring Me to Life" which plays every so often, which I think is funnier.

Without looking it up, I think "Bring Me to Life" was done with Linkin Park, which makes it slightly more surprising.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
When the lego movie came out the Lego stores were one day away from a strike, until management caved and agreed to put the "everything is awesome" song on every hour instead of every 15 mins.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Happy "Its not an American holiday, so no holiday pay. But its gonna be as busy as one" Day

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There was a period where the radio would play the top ten every two or three hours or something, and at the height of Adele's power I was hearing her music what felt like fifteen times a day.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'll always remember in the middle of this past January when the Christmas music came back...at full volume. if it's one thing I hate more than Bing Crosby singing White Christmas it's when Bing Crosby is singing White Christmas loud enough to liquefy my bones.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The last few weeks, They Might Be Giants' Ana Ng has been playing every couple days. I'm not gonna complain because I like and that song, but loving weird.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Rainbow Knight posted:

I'll always remember in the middle of this past January when the Christmas music came back...at full volume. if it's one thing I hate more than Bing Crosby singing White Christmas it's when Bing Crosby is singing White Christmas loud enough to liquefy my bones.

While I have no love for Bing Crosby, I’ll allow it so long as it prevents any rendition of “Last Christmas” from being played. Anyone who was ever involved with making that song or any cover versions of it are hostis humani generis and should be tried for their crimes.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Preechr posted:

While I have no love for Bing Crosby, I’ll allow it so long as it prevents any rendition of “Last Christmas” from being played. Anyone who was ever involved with making that song or any cover versions of it are hostis humani generis and should be tried for their crimes.

as a child, one summer my sister decided to watch every single musical we had on tape so while I'm seeing how high i can launch Stormtroopers with my fists in Dark Forces I have to listen to White Christmas play every few days (it's also how I know all the songs in, like, South Pacific and Oklahoma and poo poo.) So Bing Crosby has a special place in my heart :v:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Rainbow Knight posted:

as a child, one summer my sister decided to watch every single musical we had on tape so while I'm seeing how high i can launch Stormtroopers with my fists in Dark Forces I have to listen to White Christmas play every few days (it's also how I know all the songs in, like, South Pacific and Oklahoma and poo poo.) So Bing Crosby has a special place in my heart :v:

Ah, a fellow artist of the crouching upwards codpiece punch! Yeah, I spent hours doing that, too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I worked in a mall one winter where they played Alvin and the Chipmunks “all I want for Christmas” every hour, on the hour. It drove me insane.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Alvin and the Chipmunks on repeat in a retail space is war crime material. :stare:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Dollar Tree was blessedly silent throughout the year. However, I couldn't have listened to my own poo poo if I wanted to.

Current job, when I worked the retail counter, I could play just about anything I wanted as long as it wasn't offensive. When I had my own office, I listened to whatever the gently caress I wanted at full blast. Lot of rock and metal was played in that office. I couldn't hear the saws going ten feet from me. :kheldragar:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Preechr posted:

Ah, a fellow artist of the crouching upwards codpiece punch! Yeah, I spent hours doing that, too.

:hfive: we'll both be heading to the golden halls of Valhalla

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mini is learning fast that working for a german supermarket is magical in comparison to a UK owned one. Paid lunch breaks, extra money after the store closes, time and a half on Sundays and bank holidays and they are allowing her to work an extra hour on the fly because a bus got cancelled. None of these basic things happened at old job.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

the 51st state in our heartless union :britain:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Duckman2008 posted:

I worked in a mall one winter where they played Alvin and the Chipmunks “all I want for Christmas” every hour, on the hour. It drove me insane.

What's worse is when your employer is cheap, so you don't get classic or "classic" Christmas hits, instead you get cheap knockoffs that start with just enough of a similar intro to make your brain think it's getting something good/familiar and then sideswipes you with a mallet of garbage to the head.

Thankfully for the last half a year or so my idiot employer has somehow bungled a licensing deal so they can't even play that. Blessed silence.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
I remember the one year that B&Q was playing "Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo". And apparently other songs from that CD also.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/diy-they-know-its-christmas-1050118.amp

The last retail store I worked at tried to swap out the proper songs for covers (having this internal newsletter claiming it would save £750,000 a year) but had to backtrack within a month as the customers were threatening to not come back if they continued to play poo poo music.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

For the last few years work has had both the original version of Slade’s Merry Xmas Everybody and a poo poo cover. Some companies just want to be like that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The brand new McDonald's in town has the music turned way up in the baby changing area and it's absolute chaotic energy,

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

ellspurs posted:

I remember the one year that B&Q was playing "Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo". And apparently other songs from that CD also.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/diy-they-know-its-christmas-1050118.amp

The last retail store I worked at tried to swap out the proper songs for covers (having this internal newsletter claiming it would save £750,000 a year) but had to backtrack within a month as the customers were threatening to not come back if they continued to play poo poo music.

Literal poo poo music in the case of Mr Hanky

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Preechr posted:

This is for you:
https://youtu.be/tT9AvfZnOyg

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious, because I realized that I am totally spoiled because my job is about 2 miles from my house. How far do you guys live compared to your work? My boss is humming about possibly transferring one of the three drivers at my store to a store about 15 miles away.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Did a lifetime of working poor people jobs give me brain damage or something? My new job is going to be work from home and I'm dreading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm about a mile from my job but also I can't drive, so it's a 25 minute walk for me.