Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

My goals are typically soft bullshit barely a step above "show up at my desk" and "breathe."

Like, take a task you're normally responsible for and add "maintenance and upgrades" of those tasks as a goal. Then toss a random personal development take like "learn this scripting language" or add "learn how to use X" for some bit of software you already intended to work on.

My boss has a list of default goals too, like adhere to department policy or promote diversity. If they don't do that for you maybe you can pad the list with those too.

Fortunately my boss hates the review process as much as I do so he fully supports making the routine as easy as possible.

my goals are usually based around projects i will be undertaking, the thing i will never question is if it is an annual objective, why are they all usually achievable within a month or so.

the only thing im aware of is our HR people do look at your review scores when deciding who to promote so i like to ensure my boss agrees to say im over - achieving every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MF_James posted:

Putting "Is it illegal for" into google was a saddening experience, the top 5 are: "Is it illegal for an 18-year-old to date a 14/15/16/17 year old" 14 was TWICE and the second time was extremely bad English.

V-- I remember both of those things and yes it makes me feel the same as you.

In Colorado, assuming none of that changed in the past 10 years, all of those are legal. They have an age range law.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
OEM Patching Tools

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Recruiters using the word "bennies". The job
looks interesting but holy gently caress man.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Virigoth posted:

Recruiters using the word "bennies". The job
looks interesting but holy gently caress man.

So, like, Valium?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Maybe you'll work with a lot of Italian-Americans from the 1950s.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Maybe you'll work with a lot of Italian-Americans from the 1950s.

"The last engineer clipped our fibre connection. So we clipped him :toughguy:."

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I am an IT guy based on a site and have an assistant that works for me. Work asked me to come out to Australia for a 3 week project. I would be out of my mind to turn it down so I am currently posting this from Oz...(normally im in the UK)

Bit more background, 2 weeks before I left for Oz I came back from 2 weeks annual leave so my assistant has been with out me for 5 weeks out of the last 7.

During my annual leave everything was pretty much fine, he was busy as you might expect but no major issues.
During my time in Oz we got 2 volunteers from other sites to come and help out so there have been 2 people on site for the last 2 weeks. On Monday he will do the final week on his own (as it stands...)

Also during my time in Oz there have been a few things crop up that have baffled him or kept him busy - now, my assistant isn't that good at prioritising his workload and panics a bit in the face of being busy or when he doesnt know what he is doing which is fair enough, he's green ish to IT

More background to the story, I have 2 bosses, my main boss is the IT boss for the company and is a pretty cool guy. My other boss is just the facilities manager on site and all she usually does is sign off my annual leave and leaves me to it. I dont really like her but she leaves me alone and i keep out of her way so things are usually ok.

usually being the operative word here.

fast forward to this morning and I have an email in my inbox from the IT boss, interestingly he is responding to a trail I was never a part of up until now that originates from the boss I dont like - she is complaining to the IT boss that he needs to sort out another person to help my assistant as we have a duty of care to assistant.

My boss went off it as there is no reason he shouldn't be able to cope with a week on his own, even with the issues that have cropped up and proposed solutions to all issues within the half hour it took him to reply. I would have also been able to respond with such solutions should i have been asked.

I am now furious because one of my line managers has sent an email saying she is concerned we are not meeting our duty of care to my direct report and she hasn't even done me the courtesy of a cc to make me aware... but every other fucker in the company got a cc somehow! I'm not replying. I have informed cool boss I am furious.

I did compose a new email to my assistant inviting him to a morning briefing every day next week, as this will help me support him for the upcoming week where he is alone and I can be the one going back to people in the UK saying sorry, he is on his own your project will wait a week. I also cc'd both my bosses inviting them to the call if they wish to be aware of what he is doing.

I'm sure that will make the point that rather than send stroppy emails, lets, as a first point of action, offer some support to the person who actually needs it!!!

I will be having a fairly blunt discussion with FM manager upon my return and saying if i am not left to run my department as i see fit and all issues to be raised via me in the first instance then we have a problem. The fact i have to state that is a problem in itself but I suspect i will be looking for new employment after xmas as I've achieved most of what i can here anyway, there was 1 final project i wanted to box off but this has irritated me.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
This weeks disaster in progress:

We have a bunch of email drop boxes for escalations, 5 or six different products, departments, companies we bought out over the years.
The outsourced helpdesk brought in to replace us botched it. Stuff sitting around too long, no response ectra.

So now my team is doing it.
How? Via loving delegated outlook mailbox access.

Not proper access. delegated. Only. No login details have been/will be given.
Expected response time. Under a hour.

Questions about message rules, or alerts, popups, distro lists, loving anything that would let us know about incoming mail without having staff constantly remembering to click outlook, check shared mailbox/favorite are met with blank looks.
"just check it"

12 hour shifts..and the emails are sporadic.
Response time and outcome are huge on this, lots of internal politics...staff actually doing the work, who have many other duties are being setup to fail.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I forget the name of the software becuase we found a sane solution, but I had a similar shared mailbox issue earlier and found a few pieces of monitoring software that could monitor a mailbox and generate an alert. Clearly the backwards way of doing it but sometimes you just need something stupid.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

pixaal posted:

I forget the name of the software becuase we found a sane solution, but I had a similar shared mailbox issue earlier and found a few pieces of monitoring software that could monitor a mailbox and generate an alert. Clearly the backwards way of doing it but sometimes you just need something stupid.

I should probably mention that no one has admin rights and the company absolutely will not spend money on licencing?
Multi billion dollar company.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google Apps support is completely worthless poo poo.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Thanks Ants posted:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It turns out that one of the VPS hosting providers my company uses heavily reshuffled some things and ended up putting most of our VPSes on a single physical host.

Yup, that's worked out well...

We had been planning to migrate off of these guys after a previous incident, but something tells me the priority will be increased and that'll be what I'm spending my next week on.

edit: Synapse Global is the provider. I have no problem naming and shaming after the bullshit we've had from them.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

My first and last interaction with Google Apps Support was when they introduced email quarantine functionality in a fundamentally broken state (blocking javascript attachments would block all sorts of unrelated email, in particular delivery failure notifications etc.), and it took something like three months for their people to fix. I'm not even sure it's fully resolved at this point because we just don't bother with it anymore.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

angry armadillo posted:

... I have 2 bosses...

I found the problem, you should get that sorted.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
My fave GApps insanity is that group moderators get sent spam reports with snippets of the blocked emails, which are then marked as spam because they contain spam snippets. It's like this little circle of failure going around by itself inside apps that nobody else ever knows about unless you actually check your spam.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah this latest issue involves some attributes getting changed on user accounts. Google support are saying it was done via an API call from a 3rd party app and definitely not an issue on their side, but aren't prepared to provide any audit logs that prove this.

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!
Why wouldn't they submit the spam snippets as a screenshot to get around that then? Or did they not know it was happening?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

DigitalMocking posted:

I found the problem, you should get that sorted.

Hurrah for matrix management.

I spoke to my assistant this morning. He seems to be coping just fine and he hadn't said anything to my site boss so he was a bit disappointed that email went out as he looks silly in front of our IT boss

Need to bin site boss asap!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

angry armadillo posted:

Hurrah for matrix management.

I spoke to my assistant this morning. He seems to be coping just fine and he hadn't said anything to my site boss so he was a bit disappointed that email went out as he looks silly in front of our IT boss

Need to bin site boss asap!

I assume site boss is just jockeying for additional authority and hopes to get you and your assistant moved to her reporting line because they want more reports. I can't think of a reason to be this obtuse about it otherwise.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Pissing me off:

- A client has FUBARed an Azure webserver that was working fine when I built it, by dicking around with PHP and document root settings;
- People are raising BS requests to grant people access to tickets that were closed a year ago (what?);
- A contractor, who will become a FTE in a few months, is asking me how to create an SSH keypair.

Please kill me now.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello

Woogles posted:

Pissing me off:

- A client has FUBARed an Azure webserver that was working fine when I built it, by dicking around with PHP and document root settings;
- People are raising BS requests to grant people access to tickets that were closed a year ago (what?);
- A contractor, who will become a FTE in a few months, is asking me how to create an SSH keypair.

Please kill me now.

Now he's asking me how to set up Git in Windows, and then he'll probably ask how to use the SSH key with it despite me giving him directions on doing so already.

And my keyboard is randomly crapping out.

Send help.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Send him lmgtfy links to everything he asks.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello

xzzy posted:

Send him lmgtfy links to everything he asks.

I'd love to, except I doubt he'd appreciate it or even use them properly, then email me saying "halp how do git clone" or some poo poo. He's shown no initiative and I'm wondering about his credentials now - where the hell was he working before, and with what setup?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love helping co-workers but when they inundate me with basic poo poo that a quick internet search would 100% solve I get super passive aggressive.

It's probably why I never get raises. :angel:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Salespeople...

Have one person who constantly complains of issues with their computer. Yet when I ask her to schedule some time so I can take a look at her machine, she never responds. And then later gets pissed because the problem isn't fixed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stevewm posted:

Salespeople...

Have one person who constantly complains of issues with their computer. Yet when I ask her to schedule some time so I can take a look at her machine, she never responds. And then later gets pissed because the problem isn't fixed.

I HAVE THREE SECONDS UNTIL MY IMPORTANT SALES CALL

Gets mad when you can fix the thing that intermittently happens. Bonus points, it involves their personal Yahoo mail account.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
ffs he's ignored my instructions about overwriting the SSH key GfW creates with the one we made earlier.

I don't care who you are, if you need 6 hours to get a basic working Git install you need to get the gently caress away from me before I hurt you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

I love helping co-workers but when they inundate me with basic poo poo that a quick internet search would 100% solve I get super passive aggressive.

It's probably why I never get raises. :angel:

This is me, except I'm still getting promotions and raises.

Of course, it helps when my director let's me know that one of the junior guys complained I was "mean to him" while rolling his eyes (he has less patience with learned helplessness than I do).

This is for trivial stuff, like migrating email to the new system. Even though we had been warned of the cutoff day and to be using the new system before then. With a step by step process sent by the Communications group. And a help number to call.

This kills me because these are not entry level people.

:eng101: I don't have time to hold your hand for basic stuff. Follow the process provided or call the number
:byodood: But in step 7 they say to...
:eng101: call the number
:byodood: But you already did it, so if you could...
:eng101:STOP! I am not your personal support, and this is poo poo you should be able to figure out how to get help for on your own
:byodood: ...
:byodood:... you're mean ...
:eng99:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

There's also the other end where someone is too proud / scared to ask for help and will spend 20 hours trying to get it to work let their other stuff pile up eventually work on their other stuff and forget about it and 2 months later it's still not done and no one knows about it until the user / server / issue blows up in everyone's face.

At least with Mr hand holding you know the task got done, and you can often train them to do simple things on their own after several repetitions.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pixaal posted:

you can often train them to do simple things on their own after several repetitions.

Until some application critical to the process updates and the UI changes so a button got moved from the side of the screen to the top of the screen and all of a sudden ITS DIFFERENT OH MY GOD THIS IS TERRIBLE THIS UPDATE HAS RUINED THE PRODUCT I CANT DO MY JOB NOW WE HAVE TO STAY AT THE OLD VERSION AND JUST LIVE WITH IT NOT SUPPORTING OTHER FEATURES

Sorry

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Psycho Donut Killer posted:

Why wouldn't they submit the spam snippets as a screenshot to get around that then? Or did they not know it was happening?

Any decent spam solution will be performing OCR on images.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

flosofl posted:

:eng101: I don't have time to hold your hand for basic stuff. Follow the process provided or call the number
:byodood: But in step 7 they say to...
:eng101: call the number
:byodood: But you already did it, so if you could...
:eng101:STOP! I am not your personal support, and this is poo poo you should be able to figure out how to get help for on your own
:byodood: ...
:byodood:... you're mean ...
:eng99:

This is me, too.

But I like to lead in with, "what have you done to troubleshoot? Oh? Nothing? Guess you have some additional work to do."

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
We had an issue at my other job with googles spam filtering. But it was that our CTO signed us up for it and then never bothered to tell anyone or document the password. He also used an email account that wasn't on our system as the account holder and he forgot that password as well and the domain was lost and squatted years earlier so we couldn't even reset it.

In spite of this he demanded I get us and our clients on it. Took me weeks of emailing their support and finally I had to add an A record with a code and edit our whois info to prove I owned the domain.

We offered "spamfiltering" to a bunch of clients meaning we pointed their mx to our basement server rack running a freebsd post fix server that none of us had the password to. We also has no idea exactly which of our clients were on it since we couldn't access the forwarding list on it. We eventually put Google filtering in front of it but still had it hit our server first.

We called it the cloud but it was just a rack in our sub basement.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

We had an issue at my other job with googles spam filtering. But it was that our CTO signed us up for it and then never bothered to tell anyone or document the password. He also used an email account that wasn't on our system as the account holder and he forgot that password as well and the domain was lost and squatted years earlier so we couldn't even reset it.

In spite of this he demanded I get us and our clients on it. Took me weeks of emailing their support and finally I had to add an A record with a code and edit our whois info to prove I owned the domain.

We offered "spamfiltering" to a bunch of clients meaning we pointed their mx to our basement server rack running a freebsd post fix server that none of us had the password to. We also has no idea exactly which of our clients were on it since we couldn't access the forwarding list on it. We eventually put Google filtering in front of it but still had it hit our server first.

We called it the cloud but it was just a rack in our sub basement.

Thread title suggestion: The cloud is just someone else's basement.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Gotta love when you send out a tech to fix a bad phoneline for a customer and the big telecom that owns the infrastructure just reports back "yeah, we're not going to fix this PSTN issue on this tiny island because it is too expensive, instead we'll just remove the equipment"

Luckily it wasn't a super important phoneline, so the customer just ended up cancelling the line and only using the cell phone.

The joys of the infrastructure owner no longer being burdened by strict rules about providing a proper connection.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Fool posted:

Thread title suggestion: The cloud is just someone else's basement.

It was awful. It didn't have any battery backup, just a 1u UPS PDU. The cooling was two standalone A/C units that vented into the ceiling, but that didn't vent anywhere so it just got hot and the tiles melted and the A/Cs melted and the power went out when that happened. It was a nightmare.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had a job that did something like that once, it was still in startup mode so it's kind of forgivable as new companies tend to not have a lot of money.

But anyways they got the server closet on a UPS which is good, but the room used building A/C which was not on any kind of UPS. So when the power went out everything in there rapidly cooked itself to death. First sign we ever got that anything was wrong was developers bitching that their build servers were down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I love the emails I get from my UPS's

Critical - UPS: A site wiring fault exists.

Warning Events - Environment: A high temperature threshold violation exists for integrated Environmental Monitor T Sensor (Port 2 Temp 2 at Port 2) reporting over 95 F.

UPS: Compensating for a high input voltage
136v