Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can't wait for details to start leaking about the Pixel 2. I was definitely hating on the Pixel when it came out, but the universal praise has me itching to upgrade my 5x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

LastInLine posted:

The Note 8.

Will this one come with free explosions too?

Ineffiable posted:

Just got a moto Z Force. It seems to be draining battery more than it should, to the point where it's almost worse than my old phone. Any tips? It's the latest Android.
Any good battery apps I can try to at least locate the source? The built in battery manager on this one claims the worst offenders are the Android o/s (which has a bunch of processes listed and... Voice-mail? loving voice-mail somehow is 15% of my charge despite using it for like 5 minutes the other day.

Better battery stats.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SpookyLizard posted:

Better battery stats.

Only works with root.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Only works with root.

I thought it just works better with root?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

A friend called me yesterday and asked if I was going to meet them somewhere, and that it was the thing they had sent me a txt about. Of course I hadn't ever received that text message.

I have no idea how many other messages I'm missing, but is there anything that can be done to avoid this in the future? Why is SMS such loving garbage lossy protocol, and has not improved in 30years or however long it's been.

e: it's 5x on project Fi fwiw

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 5, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I thought it just works better with root?

The app description says it requires root. If you aren't rooted you have to use ADB to grant permission on a per-session basis. Given that level of difficulty it's safe to call it "root only" for 99% of users.

peepsalot posted:

A friend called me yesterday and asked if I was going to meet them somewhere, and that it was the thing they had sent me a txt about. Of course I hadn't ever received that text message.

I have no idea how many other messages I'm missing, but is there anything that can be done to avoid this in the future? Why is SMS such loving garbage lossy protocol, and has not improved in 30years or however long it's been.

I guess the answer you're looking for isn't "Tell your friends to use a better messaging protocol." I guarantee your friends use some IM client, even if all your friends aren't using the same one.

Edit: Just saw your edit. The problem is you're on Fi and as such you need to avoid SMS/MMS. It works perfectly (and has for 20 years) for everyone on a real carrier but let's be real, the way Fi works pretty much ensures that SMS isn't going to be reliable. That's just reality.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 5, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Are you one of those people that can palm a basketball?

No, do you have tiny Trump hands?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

peepsalot posted:

e: it's 5x on project Fi fwiw

Works great for me on AT&T. Have you considered that Fi is garbage?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Telling the average smartphone user to not use SMS and get a different messaging program to reach you is a good way to have people laugh at you. I've told people I've used X and Y but they usually always ask what's wrong with texting? This is the US btw

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

Telling the average smartphone user to not use SMS and get a different messaging program to reach you is a good way to have people laugh at you. I've told people I've used X and Y but they usually always ask what's wrong with texting? This is the US btw

I'm not saying you're wrong but if SMS doesn't work reliably for him what alternative is there? Also I'm not saying he needs to get them to use a different messaging program, I'm saying he should ask what they're already using and use that.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 5, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to disable the text message preview on Pixel? I don't like my messages showing up on my lock screen or in the shade

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Is there a way to disable the text message preview on Pixel? I don't like my messages showing up on my lock screen or in the shade

Long hold it and change the privacy setting, sensitive information I think it gets called?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skarsnik posted:

Long hold it and change the privacy setting, sensitive information I think it gets called?

I think I tried that and it didn't even show me who the text was from anymore.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://u.nya.is/hmufjk.webm

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I think I tried that and it didn't even show me who the text was from anymore.

Well those are your choices, either you get all the information or none of it. Perhaps an alternate SMS app might have customizable notifications?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just because the Xbox controllers are the perfect size for my hands... :negative:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

Well those are your choices, either you get all the information or none of it. Perhaps an alternate SMS app might have customizable notifications?

Well that's fuckin dumb considering that's been an option with iPhones for at least four years

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Well that's fuckin dumb considering that's been an option with iPhones for at least four years

A Pixel is not an iPhone.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

Just because the Xbox controllers are the perfect size for my hands... :negative:

The Duke was great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Textra SMS is a very customisable app and you can control notifications in a decent fashion too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

vyst posted:

A Pixel is not an iPhone.

Whoa no poo poo

It's still super dumb to not have something that simple

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Whoa no poo poo

It's still super dumb to not have something that simple

It's not a matter of it being too complex for Google to implement, come the gently caress on. I personally don't see a need for it myself so don't really care, but don't be disingenuous.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Textra SMS is a very customisable app and you can control notifications in a decent fashion too.

Hey it does exactly what I want right out of the box

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not a matter of it being too complex for Google to implement, come the gently caress on. I personally don't see a need for it myself so don't really care, but don't be disingenuous.

I didn't say it was too complex to implement, I said it was a fairly simple thing and not including it is dumb. There are grades of privacy between everything and nothing. Not thinking of that is dumb. I'm sorry this upset you

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I didn't say it was too complex to implement, I said it was a fairly simple thing and not including it is dumb. There are grades of privacy between everything and nothing. Not thinking of that is dumb. I'm sorry this upset you

Dont be sorry, these are also the people who think google makes better hardware than samsung.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

grimcreaper posted:

Dont be sorry, these are also the people who think google makes better hardware than samsung.

Nice try.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

The Duke was great.

Not the Duke, nor even the S, but the smaller ones; the 360 and Bonetrollers. :sigh:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

Not the Duke, nor even the S, but the smaller ones; the 360 and Bonetrollers. :sigh:

I'm...I'm so sorry.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

grimcreaper posted:

google has yet to make a phone that explodes, advantage: samsung

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grimcreaper posted:

Lol nice burn

Is that a note 7

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Go to settings -> notifications -> offending app and then change it to your desired behavior.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Lol nice burn

Is that a note 7

I use the note 7 in counter strike as the molotov. Its quite effective.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

I use the note 7 in counter strike as the molotov. Its quite effective.

it should cost twice as much as a silenced M16 for accuracy. :ocelot::newlol:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

it should cost twice as much as a silenced M16 for accuracy. :ocelot::newlol:

i dont get it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think he's saying it's very expensive.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, molotovs are relatively cheap in CS, as things go.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
What is the best phone for around €300? I have a Moto G (2nd or 3rd gen, I don't even know anymore) that is starting to show it's age. My girlfriend recently got a Huawei P9 Lite and she seems happy with it. It seems a bit big to me, but looking around, nearly every phone these days is that size.
I did see a HTC One mini 2 in a store this weekend, it seemed like a perfect size, but I looked it up and it seems dated, so I didn't buy it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shut up blegum posted:

What is the best phone for around €300? I have a Moto G (2nd or 3rd gen, I don't even know anymore) that is starting to show it's age. My girlfriend recently got a Huawei P9 Lite and she seems happy with it. It seems a bit big to me, but looking around, nearly every phone these days is that size.
I did see a HTC One mini 2 in a store this weekend, it seemed like a perfect size, but I looked it up and it seems dated, so I didn't buy it.

If you're not too over the top about phones, stick with the Motos and get a Moto G4, it's a little less than what you want to spend but it's a great phone. Use the savings to upgrade to the Moto G6 a little sooner than you would've otherwise.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 6, 2017

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, I don't know what your moon dollars convert to in real money but a g4 or g4 plus is probably well within your budget. I really like my axon 7, but that might be out of your budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

SpookyLizard posted:

Yeah, I don't know what your moon dollars convert to in real money but a g4 or g4 plus is probably well within your budget. I really like my axon 7, but that might be out of your budget.

It's about $320 :) The axon 7 is more, the axon 7 mini is in my budget. I'll look into that and the G4 plus.