Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Here's a dumb question... how much gas smell is normal from used motor oil? I asked the lube tech to capture some oil for me at my last change so I can send it off to blackstone for an analysis. I noticed it smelled like gas... a medium level of gas, not super strong, not just a hint if that makes sense.

2013 Taurus SHO with 74K miles on the car. It's a Gen 1 3.5L EcoBoost engine, so the main reason I'm getting the oil tested is to get a baseline reading of the oil right now, and keep an eye out for any coolant in the oil which would be a sign of failing water pump seals (which are a huge issue on that engine). Engine pulls strong, no coolant usage as of right now, no smoke from the tail pipes, so I want to assume everything internally on the engine is still working properly.

The ~internet~ say some gas smell is normal in used engine oil but how much is normal?

Edit: fwiw I dont drive much anymore. Mostly short trips, and the oil had only about 1000 miles on it and was 9 months old if that matters.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Why would you want higher RPMs for a generator? They're also not very fuel efficient.

Oh I was just watching a video where they said your backup generator should be rated to run at 50% load for best fuel efficiency / lifetime. Just made me think about the different characteristics of a rotary.

luminalflux posted:

LiquidPiston is a CT based company working in a DARPA contract for this. Their design is a bit different than a normal wankel in that the combustion chamber rotates. Looks kinda promising

And yeah a generator will usually rotate a fairly fixed rpm where it’s most efficient- usually but not always designed to be a multiple of the grid frequency in your current area.

Wow, that looks neat, if feasible. Right, everybody talks about how a rotary would be a great range extender for an EV, if you can keep it in its ideal RPM range. For a generator I'd guess you'd want it with a pretty static load range then.

Mazda is supposed to bring one out soon, let's see if it lives up to the hype.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Charles posted:

Oh I was just watching a video where they said your backup generator should be rated to run at 50% load for best fuel efficiency / lifetime. Just made me think about the different characteristics of a rotary.

So you're talking traditional generators, which need a specific RPM to match frequency. 50% load is the same RPM as 100% load as is 0% load.

Where it might be more interesting would be on an inverter generator if the torque curve was right.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Here's a dumb question... how much gas smell is normal from used motor oil? I asked the lube tech to capture some oil for me at my last change so I can send it off to blackstone for an analysis. I noticed it smelled like gas... a medium level of gas, not super strong, not just a hint if that makes sense.

2013 Taurus SHO with 74K miles on the car. It's a Gen 1 3.5L EcoBoost engine, so the main reason I'm getting the oil tested is to get a baseline reading of the oil right now, and keep an eye out for any coolant in the oil which would be a sign of failing water pump seals (which are a huge issue on that engine). Engine pulls strong, no coolant usage as of right now, no smoke from the tail pipes, so I want to assume everything internally on the engine is still working properly.

The ~internet~ say some gas smell is normal in used engine oil but how much is normal?

Edit: fwiw I dont drive much anymore. Mostly short trips, and the oil had only about 1000 miles on it and was 9 months old if that matters.

Those are direct injected right? I remember fuel dilution being a concern with some DI engines, it was with my 08 MS3.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

opengl128 posted:

Those are direct injected right? I remember fuel dilution being a concern with some DI engines, it was with my 08 MS3.

Yep. The 1st gen 3.5 is DI only. They updated the 2nd gen to multi port to address the dirty valve issue

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Short trips with direct injection is a great way to end up with a decent bit of fuel in the oil. If you're sending it off to Blackstone they'll tell you exactly how much.

But if it's that plainly noticeable to a sniff test, you probably just need to take an occasional long drive.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

So you're talking traditional generators, which need a specific RPM to match frequency. 50% load is the same RPM as 100% load as is 0% load.

Where it might be more interesting would be on an inverter generator if the torque curve was right.

Ah, I see, I was watching as I was falling asleep. He was talking about a whole house generator I believe, so that makes sense. I've only used the inverter kind which for our use load varies a lot depending on if it's powering a pump, TV, microwave, etc. It was just a curiosity question though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Charles posted:

Ah, I see, I was watching as I was falling asleep. He was talking about a whole house generator I believe, so that makes sense. I've only used the inverter kind which for our use load varies a lot depending on if it's powering a pump, TV, microwave, etc. It was just a curiosity question though.

The new hotness is inverter, and the ones big enough to do a whole house at that size are spicy-priced still, but yeah would be awesome. They are much more efficient. And quiet unless you're running full tilt.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

skipdogg posted:

Edit: fwiw I don’t drive much anymore. Mostly short trips, and the oil had only about 1000 miles on it and was 9 months old if that matters.

Do you live in a cold climate? The cold start enrichment on the first generation ecoBoosts is absolutely insane. Fuel dilution in the winter is a thing and a problem across the board. Not just for Ford.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I live in a sketchy neighbourhood and apparently recently there's been a number of people with Honda Elements getting their catalytic converters stolen.

Shows that there are thieves willing to steal parts from cars.

This morning noticed that the latches on my Jeep YJ hood were left open.

Drove the car today. Seemed fine.

What do you think they could have been looking to steal from a Jeep?

Anything I should double check?

edit: clarifying that it was the hood that was opened.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 7, 2021

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

I live in a sketchy neighbourhood and apparently recently there's been a number of people with Honda Elements getting their catalytic converters stolen.

Doesn't even have to be that sketchy tbh - cutting a cat out of a car is fast and quiet depending on the tools you use. Prius cat theft is really common in SF.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there an OEM source / application for Deutsch style 1/8"-27 NPT fluid temperature sensors?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

What do you think they could have been looking to steal from a Jeep?

Literally anything not bolted down. I live in a "nice enough" gated neighborhood and since getting a TJ, I've had it rifled through twice (I keep nothing of value inside it, not even pocket change) and had the jack / gas can stolen off the back of it once.

There are a lot of people out there who will just take *anything* they can get their hands on, and a soft-top Jeep is an easy opportunity.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I'm no expert but in reply to that guy asking ahout Wenkels as generators, I've read that a lot of their efficiency issues are solved by running them at a fixed RPM, and Mazda just recently patented a hybrid system using a Wankel engine. So maybe it could work?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In a series hybrid setup in a car, using a rotary engine to power a generator might have benefits such as a more compact generator set or weight savings.

In nearly any other application where the size and weight of the generator isn't critical, it's not going to be worth anything over a piston engine that's either dirt cheap (small gas generators) or a diesel engine that's dead reliable (larger gensets).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Why not a turbine?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Because they are cowards. I'd imagine cost is a consideration too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They were probably aiming for the battery, but really anything that the five finger discount works on is the eventual target. gently caress I hate thieves.

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there an OEM source / application for Deutsch style 1/8"-27 NPT fluid temperature sensors?

What resistance curve? I'd go on rockauto and use their search to look at all standard motor products coolant temp sensors by price, it's limited and will only give you one page of results but it'll narrow things down, then you can look through the pics till you see a close match and check what it fits.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can input the curve into Haltech. Thanks, I'll give that a try :)

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Im trying to determine the source of some suspension noise on my 17 Volkswagen Golf. Is there any harm in spraying silicone lubricant on the bushings and other friction points to narrow down the source? I figure Ill do a part or a bushing at a time in hope that I actually find the source.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Colostomy Bag posted:

Why not a turbine?

thermals

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Im trying to determine the source of some suspension noise on my 17 Volkswagen Golf. Is there any harm in spraying silicone lubricant on the bushings and other friction points to narrow down the source? I figure Ill do a part or a bushing at a time in hope that I actually find the source.
You might have to clean it off at some point and that might be annoying, but no, no harm.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Krakkles posted:

You might have to clean it off at some point and that might be annoying, but no, no harm.

Cool. Should I be able to get it with soap, water, and some scrubbing though? Or maybe just a trip to the DIY carwash?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm putting coilovers on my brz before summer, should I be looking for a specific kind of shop for the alignment or would I be ok taking it to a firestone/other chain? Any specific shop recommendations for the SE Michigan area?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

nitsuga posted:

Cool. Should I be able to get it with soap, water, and some scrubbing though? Or maybe just a trip to the DIY carwash?

Yeah, dish soap will wash it off. But I think most vehicles are OK with being coated in oily crap, so I wouldn't bother. It's their natural state.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

ryanrs posted:

Yeah, dish soap will wash it off. But I think most vehicles are OK with being coated in oily crap, so I wouldn't bother. It's their natural state.

Too true. Ill give it a try soon. Good rust protection if nothing else I guess.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Whatever oil you choose, make sure it's compatible with the kind of rubber you're putting it on. The Cole Parmer chemical compatibility database is a good place to start. For example if you put silicone oil on natural rubber or neoprene it will make it fail very quickly, and if you put motor oil on EPDM rubber it will do the same thing, but silicone oil on EPDM is perfectly fine and motor oil on neoprene only causes slight discoloration.

I would probably use motor oil rather than silicone oil if you insist on using an oil... Most of the materials on cars are going to be chosen to resist it since motor oil is always present in cars, if not always leaking. It'll damage some suspension rubber products but it takes a large leak for a long time to really get to them. Dish soap is probably your best choice though.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 8, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Crosspost from the wrong thread where I posted this before:

quote:

Some fuel problems with my 2002 Ford ZX2.

A week ago the CHECK FUEL CAP light came on; messed with it but nothing changed. A couple of days ago the CEL came on too, bringing with it a low idle (to the point that it's stalled a few times) once the engine has warmed up.

I pulled the codes:
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0457 EVAP system - leak detected (filler cap loose/off)

I am hoping it's just that the fuel pump is hosed up and the tank isn't pressurizing properly and that's why it also thinks the cap is loose. What other things could cause this combination of codes and symptoms?

Other thread says to check the vacuum lines and evap canister system, so I will do that. Any other things to look for?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Extremely basic bitch question: I put my tools away for the winter. On Saturday I took out some of them to put up a shelf, and I noticed some rust spots forming. It's no problem for me to clean up, but what's the accepted way to keep the rust from forming?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've been experimenting with keeping something like DampRid in the same area to remove moisture, but don't have proved results yet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I do it by leaving a thick coat of Jeep musk on them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Extremely basic bitch question: I put my tools away for the winter. On Saturday I took out some of them to put up a shelf, and I noticed some rust spots forming. It's no problem for me to clean up, but what's the accepted way to keep the rust from forming?

Oiling is the traditional technique. Put a thin layer of oil (any kind will do) on them before you put them up.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

How should I go cleaning up this rust? Scrape with wire brush, then spray with something?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

taqueso posted:

How should I go cleaning up this rust? Scrape with wire brush, then spray with something?

IMO, remove it, use wire brushes on a power drill to derust, then treat it with [method], then reassemble.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nebakenezzer posted:

IMO, remove it, use wire brushes on a power drill to derust, then treat it with [method], then reassemble.

Wait, what's the [method]? I'll be cleaning up some rocker rust on my shitbox, and after wire brushing I just have an anti-corrosion primer I thought to hit it with, before doing a color coat. Stuff like PO15 wouldn't really work on a body panel, would it?

Tbh that rust looks mild enought that I wouldn't even bother touching it. Otherwise I'd never be able to drive outside here lol

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I have an insanely stuck bolt on the trailer hitch on my Volvo. I had to remove a bracket since the trailer light connection failed inspection. I cut the nut end off, but the bolt end was still stuck enough that it sheared off when i tried to free it with a breaker bar. I've drilled through it (only 6.5mm bit on a 10mm bolt though), heated it with a propane torch, used every type of penetrating fluid i have and tried to press it out with a two jaw puller. I've hit the bolt and everything around it plenty with both hand and full size sledges. I'm at my wits end now. I could maybe buy some new equipment, like a bigger drill/drillbit, welder, oxy torch or induction heater, but I'm not sure what would be most effective. There is quite a bit of plastic around the area. The existing drilled hole isn't straight either.

Its the right bolt holding the ball hitch itself in this photo. It is broken flush with the drop bracket on both sides.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

They're through bolts? A big goddamn punch held with visegrips and a really big hammer are your friends here. Punch it straight through now that you cut the head off and put a new one in.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I've tried that with a 10 pound sledgehamer. Wont budge, and the car is swaying on its jackstands, so I'm loath to hit harder.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I would think I put more than 1000 punds of force on the bolt with the two jaw puller, before the puller started to buckle and slip.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think you can drop the entire hitch, right? That would allow you to secure it better and work some angles, maybe.