Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It might've been more accurate to say she's the artist I'm currently listening to half drunk after 2 hours of sleep, but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

doverhog posted:

It might've been more accurate to say she's the artist I'm currently listening to half drunk after 2 hours of sleep, but eh.

hey man i'm not knocking Bjork at all, its just that Iceland eurovision song contest entry got cheated out winning by Covid and im a bit sad about it

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
My favorite band from Iceland is some group evidently just called Jeff Who?

https://youtu.be/twtHVYEe9ac

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Possibly unpopular opinion: I wish I was from Iceland. It seems like a great place, I love fjords, and like any self-respecting goon, I loathe summer. Give me those arctic winters where the accursed sun never rises.

e: also their language has letters to represent and differentiate voiced and unvoiced "th" sounds. I am so sick of morons telling me "thief" and "they" start with the same sound. They do not. Gimme that Þ, lay on the Ð

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Feb 6, 2021

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Iceland is a weird country, and that's coming from someone also in the dark lands. It's cool on a conceptual level but don't think I'd actually wanna live there, Reykjavik is just too small compared to Helsinki, which is also pretty small.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd want to live somewhere in the arctic but only during the summer. 24 hour sunlight is perfect, nothing good happens in the dark. Only thing preventing me from doing so is: not even close to being able to afford a "summer home" and also iceland/norway etc are ridiculously expensive just for day to day stuff. Also I probably wouldn't be able to find a job there.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
my 2 favourite iceland facts are a) the government recommends you use an app for anyone you are romantically involved with in order to avoid producing children with a relative and b) the population of Reykjavik doubles every time they old their EVE online conference

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I don't understand why you would want to live somewhere with snow and cold dampness. It's pretty but it makes doing everything but sitting inside a miserable affair. Where I live I am never so cold as to reconsider leaving the house just to take out the trash. I don't even know if my heater works. It's great!

Also summer is amazing and wonderful. The sun is a great thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

I don't understand why you would want to live somewhere with snow and cold dampness. It's pretty but it makes doing everything but sitting inside a miserable affair. Where I live I am never so cold as to reconsider leaving the house just to take out the trash. I don't even know if my heater works. It's great!

1) Clothes have been invented.
2) More sun in Summer.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
1) Clothes are not enough. Ever. Stop pretending bundling up works! Plus you're never properly comfortable because of all the bulky bullshit you have to wear.

2) Sun PLUS warmth. Sun means nothing if it's 15c while you're trying to sunbathe. That's cold. Sun should be warm. You should be able to feel it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

1) Clothes are not enough. Ever. Stop pretending bundling up works! Plus you're never properly comfortable because of all the bulky bullshit you have to wear.

Lmao learn to dress yourself, kid. It's minus 17 and I don't even need to zip up my windbreaker.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fizzymercy posted:

... 15c .... That's cold.

...it is? I think that's perfect weather with sun and a breeze. And I'd still prefer cold (but sunny) because heavier clothes do help whereas when it's 38-40c there's not really anything you can do to escape it aside from going inside. I lived 3 years in a place with no AC or fans that would regularly get to 30+c inside during the summer and it was absolutely miserable. Like living inside that rhino from the 2nd ace ventura 24/7.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lmao learn to dress yourself, kid. It's minus 17 and I don't even need to zip up my windbreaker.
You're insane and I don't believe you that dressing appropriately works. I'd be dead in hours at those temps. That's just science.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

...it is? I think that's perfect weather with sun and a breeze. And I'd still prefer cold (but sunny) because heavier clothes do help whereas when it's 38-40c there's not really anything you can do to escape it aside from going inside. I lived 3 years in a place with no AC or fans that would regularly get to 30+c inside during the summer and it was absolutely miserable. Like living inside that rhino from the 2nd ace ventura 24/7.

I grew up without A/C on the Texas Gulf Coast. 30c is comfortable to me with a fan. I'm probably broken.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fizzymercy posted:

I'm from the high desert way out west :texas:. Most days are cloudless blazing sun. That actually blows way more than snow.

Also lol 15c is too hot

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

being cold is a sign of weakness

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
As a guy from a different part of Texas, being cold owns and being hot sucks. I loved both Iceland and Finland while I was there because it was august and it wasn’t 115 with 97% humidity in the shade.

Edit: Also the Finns complained constantly about their mosquito problem and I just laughed and laughed and laughed. I got bit as many times there in a week of hiking and exploring as I do if I grill outside for a couple hours.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If there was ever a bug that deserved a worldwide extinction campaign, it'd be mosquitoes. No redeeming value outside of making dinosaurs from the old already dead ones.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

doverhog posted:

(with PJ Harvey coming in a close second).

Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea is a fantastic album that her hardcore fans trash way too much because it’s polished and approachable.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s a really good manga set in Iceland, called Go With The Clouds, North By Northwest. It’s worth checking out. It’s about a mildly magical teen in Iceland who works as a detective

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea is a fantastic album that her hardcore fans trash way too much because it’s polished and approachable.

I really like both Let England Shake and The Hope Six Demolition Project even tho they are about politics instead of forcing Nick Cave to go down on her after doing heroin.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

doverhog posted:

I really like both Let England Shake and The Hope Six Demolition Project even tho they are about politics instead of forcing Nick Cave to go down on her after doing heroin.

Let England Shake rules extremely hard.

E:Uh Huh Her is probably my favorite though.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Saw her live in Helsinki in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xom9Wq78hXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYk9-Qos0f4

It was a very dark day and starting to rain, slowly turning into a storm. The next day of the festival was cancelled because winds knocked down the stages.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

doverhog posted:

Saw her live in Helsinki in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xom9Wq78hXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYk9-Qos0f4

It was a very dark day and starting to rain, slowly turning into a storm. The next day of the festival was cancelled because winds knocked down the stages.

Jesus Christ I’m jealous.

I first got into her via her desert sessions appearance and she’s amazing on their Jools Holland live thing

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about music and music trivia (don't we all) and while scanning a list of the top selling 50 musical artists of all time I realised all the people I had not heard of were country music stars - Garth Brooks, George Strait, Alabama, Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney.

It seems although Country Music shifts *A LOT* of albums between its fans it never seems to cross over to real mainstream appeal, at least on a truncated list of high selling individual works. (a separate list of highest single albums has no country in it)

A smarter man than me could extrapolate a better conclusion. I just like looking at wikipedia entries about music.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about music and music trivia (don't we all) and while scanning a list of the top selling 50 musical artists of all time I realised all the people I had not heard of were country music stars - Garth Brooks, George Strait, Alabama, Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney.

It seems although Country Music shifts *A LOT* of albums between its fans it never seems to cross over to real mainstream appeal, at least on a truncated list of high selling individual works. (a separate list of highest single albums has no country in it)

A smarter man than me could extrapolate a better conclusion. I just like looking at wikipedia entries about music.

Bo Burnham’s “Pandering” bit sums it up pretty well- a lot of those albums are basically xeroxes. It moves albums because people like the whole sound or vibe or whatever, but song to song, no single is going to stand out.

https://youtu.be/y7im5LT09a0

And I’m not really trying to dunk on country, there’s country I really like (if it has a member of the Highwaymen I’m super down, also Original Recipe Hank Williams rules). The mass market stuff is rear end.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Man I had not heard Bo Burnham in like 5 years, one of my old buddies loved his stuff and he always gave me a laugh and that video is spot on lol

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s a genre that got homogenized to death. If you want to hear good new country, check out the Steep Canyon Rangers album “Tell the Ones I Love”, that poo poo rules. Their stuff with Steve Martin is more bluegrass because he’s great at that, but overall; great band that actually writes some fun, inventive stuff.

E:by new I mean like a half decade old, I don’t keep up on country that much.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Unfortunately some of us were raised where modern country music is the default music everywhere you go in public. It's at every mall, grocery store, fair, you name it. When country music becomes the background noise to your entire life you either go insane or learn to like it at least a little. Something about the repetitive sound becomes soothing and familiar.

And Chet Atkins is a country artist and he's the best guitarist ever so it's not all bad.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Feb 6, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm baffled that you could go through life without knowing the first three there. loving Alabama? Next you'll tell me you haven't heard of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Modern country does suck tho, and it's basically pop rock but with a MAGA slant for the sort of people who drive a King Ranch F150 but live in a suburb of Houston and claim to be "rural"

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Decent new/newish country music had it’s name changed to ‘Americana’ about ten-fifteen years ago. poo poo like Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Lucinda Williams, things that are undeniably country-with-a-small-c, but aren’t pandering crap.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Here's an example of good modern country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNMZHnv9370

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I like country rap way more than any person should, which is not at all. But it's fun to have on while drinking.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Modern country does suck tho, and it's basically pop rock but with a MAGA slant for the sort of people who drive a King Ranch F150 but live in a suburb of Houston and claim to be "rural"

You can blame Toby Keith and his war against the Dixie Chicks after 9/11 for that. :argh:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm baffled that you could go through life without knowing the first three there. loving Alabama? Next you'll tell me you haven't heard of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I think Skynyrd are one of those bands that anyone with a passing interest in guitar music will come across Sweet Home Alabama or Freebird but browsing George Strait or Garth Brooks I've never came across one their songs before and if I have they certainly didn't stick.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

:lmao: I was guessing a civil war song but that's a loving deep cut.

My dad and my brother did reenacting with a NY reenacting group and I got dragged to many a civil war related thing back in the day so this brings back some memories.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also Skynard is more Southern Rock than country. It's got country elements but it's a part of their composition rather than the defining element.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It’s basically it’s own separate music industry, although if you’re American and never even heard of Garth Brooks or Kenny Chesney that’s pretty impressive. It also isn’t popular among “music nerds.” If you look at a site like RateYourMusic, Garth Brooks seems like an underground artist compared to arena legends Neutral Milk Hotel.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vandar posted:

You can blame Toby Keith and his war against the Dixie Chicks after 9/11 for that. :argh:

oh god, I got to experience that in their homeland as a kid, right alongside all the Freedom Fries poo poo because I committed the cardinal sin of having a french dad

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s basically it’s own separate music industry, although if you’re American and never even heard of Garth Brooks or Kenny Chesney that’s pretty impressive. It also isn’t popular among “music nerds.” If you look at a site like RateYourMusic, Garth Brooks seems like an underground artist compared to arena legends Neutral Milk Hotel.

Well I'm from Scotland so thats probably a factor lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Well I'm from Scotland so thats probably a factor lol

Definitely, although Brooks has a notable Irish fanbase for some reason and country has a big Australian presence (even producing its own stars like Keith Urban) it’s a very American thing. Looking at Wikipedia Garth has sold 170 million records worldwide and 156 million of those are domestic.