Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Kim Jong Il posted:

Not just that, our IT locked our browsers to go to our intranet home page whenever we open a browser or a new tab because "their metrics were bad."

Please don’t give anyone in my company that idea :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kim Jong Il posted:

I'm not in any risk at all, but god drat am I sick of all the bullshit. My pay overall is pretty good, but I'm in a specialty occupation in demand, and am at about 20% below what market rate is. I have colleagues who were external hires who make $30k more than me. And I've had some offers recently, but I've probably been too picky and should start pushing a little harder.

They're not going to give you a raise all on their own, especially now that they have "but we have to tighten our belt! People are getting laid off!" as a convenient excuse. Start looking more aggressively and for heaven's sake don't tell the recruiters your current salary.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kim Jong Il posted:

Not just that, our IT locked our browsers to go to our intranet home page whenever we open a browser or a new tab because "their metrics were bad."

Do you work at one of my old places, because that was the exact thing our IT team was forced to do because management felt engagement with SharePoint could be higher.

Note the reason it was low was because they wouldn't pay to have someone come in and optimize the install so it ran like hot rear end. Also it had lots and lots of out of date info and getting editing privileges was nearly impossible. These were considered to not be high priority issues.

Zil fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 7, 2018

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

IT gave me a temporary admin account that they're supposed to turn off after a week. It's been three months. I love keeping the crapware from booting at launch and installing tiny productivity apps.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

IT gave me a temporary admin account that they're supposed to turn off after a week. It's been three months. I love keeping the crapware from booting at launch and installing tiny productivity apps.

We have a company wide mandated desktop background that is related to whatever the Wellness program is doing. So your desktop is a plain color background with a text box that says something like "Stretch every hour!"

A few months ago it was about going inside when there is a thunderstorm so you weren't hit by lightning. This is something that you shouldn't need to remind people about outside of grade school.

Also, the image looks like it is designed by someone on a 19" monitor and doesn't work at all if you have a widescreen monitor or a high resolution screen.
Thankfully, I have local admin access so I can set my desktop to whatever, but it has to suck for the others. I've always felt that giving people leeway to customize that makes them happier. Plus it led to one lady being super embarrassed about her desktop, her husband is a professional bodybuilder and her desktop was him at a competition.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CitizenKain posted:

Thankfully, I have local admin access so I can set my desktop to whatever, but it has to suck for the others. I've always felt that giving people leeway to customize that makes them happier.

I know this is a concept that might be too horrifying to even ponder, but have you considered the possibility that management doesn't want the serfs happier?

CitizenKain posted:

Plus it led to one lady being super embarrassed about her desktop, her husband is a professional bodybuilder and her desktop was him at a competition.

:lol::lol:

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Once, when I was in support, I remoted into a desktop and the background was a man holding the biggest rooster I have ever seen. The user later told me he switches to that background every time he knows someone will be remoting in.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Switching to a disgusting or hilarious desktop before calling IT was a time honoured tradition at OldJob.

I goatsed at least one tech.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CitizenKain posted:

Plus it led to one lady being super embarrassed about her desktop, her husband is a professional bodybuilder and her desktop was him at a competition.

Sounds like she needs to :sever: if she finds him embarrassing

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Company culture question for people here. It's water under the bridge now from three years ago, but I'm still curious where you guys land on this.

At Previous Employer, I was once fifteen minutes late to an hour-long meeting because of an emergency on the manufacturing floor. When I arrived, the room was mid-presentation and there were no chairs left. I quietly came into the room, whispered "sorry" as people turned there heads to me, and then I sat on the floor in the back of the room to watch the presentation.

The next day, my boss took me aside and told me that both she and her boss were disappointed in my behavior at the meeting. In particular, they thought it was unprofessional that I sat on the floor. They were both of the opinion that I should have gone out and found a chair from the meeting room downstairs and brought it up into the room. On my end, I thought that would be doubly rude because now I'm making noise and interrupting the meeting even more than I already did, presumably for my own comfort.

(The third option of standing for the remaining 45 min didn't come up, nor did the nuclear option of "gently caress it, I'm 15 min late already so I just won't go.")

So where are you goons on this? Do you go downstairs to the first floor meeting room and steal a chair to bring upstairs to the meeting? Do you sit on the floor?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I would've just stood. That's fairly standard practice everywhere I've been.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
15 minutes is right on the border of saying f it and skipping the meeting. I would have rounded up and skipped.
Or stand for 5, check your phone, and welp, another emergency.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ultrafilter posted:

I would've just stood. That's fairly standard practice everywhere I've been.

Agree with this.

That said 'unprofessional' is a very specific term and I think a bit on the harsh side.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
IMO it was unprofessional of them to have fewer chairs than people scheduled to attend the meeting at the outset.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm that's a weird one. I probably would have sat on the floor... not sure why they were so ruffled by that. What industry is this?

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
“Disappointed?” Way to infantilize a senior employee.

Space is at such a premium at my company that it’s rare not to see someone either standing or sitting on the floor. I also rarely bother to show up at a meeting if I’ve missed more than five minutes, but then only about one meeting in every ten I have actually requires me to be there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's a faux pas if it's not a laid back atmosphere company, but gently caress them if they insist that you stand the entire time. They don't know if you have a medical problem that makes standing for long periods a problem.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

epenthesis posted:

“Disappointed?” Way to infantilize a senior employee.

Space is at such a premium at my company that it’s rare not to see someone either standing or sitting on the floor. I also rarely bother to show up at a meeting if I’ve missed more than five minutes, but then only about one meeting in every ten I have actually requires me to be there.

This. I call in (or sometimes dont) to meetings that are a 30 second walk from where I sit because they often only need me for 4 minutes of a 1 hour meeting.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I would personally not have hesitated to question the ~professionalism~ of whoever arranged for more invitees than chairs, when some dickhead calls me unprofessional for not going and getting a chair. What, and miss another two minutes of this critical and informative presentation?

Most places I’ve been the expectation would be to go get another chair, if you’re not senior enough to be able to order an underling to do it. I would have stood and would regard someone sitting on the floor as pretty weird (but none of my business).

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Volmarias posted:

They're not going to give you a raise all on their own, especially now that they have "but we have to tighten our belt! People are getting laid off!" as a convenient excuse. Start looking more aggressively and for heaven's sake don't tell the recruiters your current salary.

Very well aware, although I'm pretty much guaranteed a minimum 3%. So trying to straddle the line of not being a dick in my complaining on this forum because I don't by any means have the worst situation.

Vegetable posted:

While this will give the helpdesk people here fits, I love this, I love being able to do everything because our enterprise IT is horrible, none of the pre-installed packages work at all. And it's only getting worse with more and more of that organization offshored. Which of course is their justification now for cracking down on local admin access.

(I'm probably just going to bring my local machine onto the VPN and dare them to stop me because I'm sick of dealing with going away for 2 minutes to the bathroom, and coming back to an auto restart when I was in the middle of a 10 hour query.)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Sundae posted:

Meeting fuckery
Sounds like there weren't enough chairs, so even if you'd been on time *someone* was either going to have to do that, or stand, to begin with. gently caress 'em.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You'd definitely get weird looks if you sat on the floor in my office, but I doubt it would escalate to perceived unprofessionalism. Would probably just be expected to stand. At my old job this happened a lot, and usually the person facilitating would get up and get get anot her chair.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kim Jong Il posted:

My company is doing pretty well financially

looking to massively cut headcount

the saps left will be either the ones who didn't have any other options, or the poor souls who will be left working 80 hour weeks

am at about 20% below what market rate is. I have colleagues who were external hires who make $30k more than me

Kim Jong Il posted:

I'm pretty much guaranteed a minimum 3%

Are you, though?

:thunk:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I must be weird because I would absolutely question the professionalism of someone who sat on the floor.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
What happened, indeed before my time, that bikeshedding became the replacement for industry? Who gives a carp about someone sitting on the floor? (The absence of a needed chair, medical requirements, is a real concern though.)

"Another peculiarity of his was that he always stepped a yard at a time, clenched his fists as if he was going to hit you, and was, when in one of his peculiar humors, very far from a pleasant companion". Professor Lindenbrock. These are the giants upon which today's (sales) weasels stand.

And I'm a flaming pinko liberal 'gay boy', so I appreciate and support your rights, limitations, and self-imposed restrictions, but if you can't read the documentation by yourself (if you are able) then you suck at your job and should gently caress off.

Two more weeks. :shepface:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jordan7hm posted:

I must be weird because I would absolutely question the professionalism of someone who sat on the floor.

It would raise a few eyebrows.

I would just stand.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Ahahahaha what the gently caress is wrong with your brain if you think it's weird or unprofessional or crass or whatever to sit on the floor, especially when there are no chairs available and you have 45 minutes to go. How do you think people in non-first-world countries sit* every day lmao

* yes I know this is overly broad and tbh I can't be arsed refining it properly but you should get the point. My thoughts and prayers if you can't

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The fact so many people here think it’s ok to sit on the floor during a meeting puts a lot of the complaints into a very different context.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I would definitely rather stand than sit on the floor, drat.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Weatherman posted:

Ahahahaha what the gently caress is wrong with your brain if you think it's weird or unprofessional or crass or whatever to sit on the floor, especially when there are no chairs available and you have 45 minutes to go. How do you think people in non-first-world countries sit* every day lmao

* yes I know this is overly broad and tbh I can't be arsed refining it properly but you should get the point. My thoughts and prayers if you can't

It’s a little weird though.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Unprofessional enough to get called to the principal's office? Eh, not really.

It'd come off pretty weird though. Guaranteed to get you a nickname.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

It's really weird and unprofessional to sit on the floor. BUT if I'm the manager, I'm trading that criticism for an apology for loving up and not having enough chairs, therefore forcing dude to sit on the floor. Maybe add that hey man, next time if I screw up again feel free to excuse yourself and go grab a chair, you don't have to sit on the floor.

loving up and not having enough seating is on whoever's job that was, it's not BYOC

if after that dude sits on the floor then maybe it's a different convo about professionalism

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sitting on the floor is weird.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I work at a granola startup where sitting on the floor is ~cool~ and there’s probably a correlation between salary and meetings sat in. People will sit on the floor even when there’s chairs available.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

tokenbrownguy posted:

I work at a granola startup where sitting on the floor is ~cool~ and there’s probably a correlation between salary and meetings sat in. People will sit on the floor even when there’s chairs available.
Pretty much this. I would loving hate sitting on the floor and would much rather stand, and sometimes do even if there are chairs (easier in a big room when you can hide in the back), but I've been in meetings where people are on the floor up against the walls with their laptops. The cool kids are (physically capable of) doing it. Live and let live ffs.

Meanwhile I have people telling me that they're jealous I'm barefoot at my desk (visible to hallway travelers) and roam around in FiveFingers. Yet I'm weirded out by the lady that wears plush slippers (even into the bathroom, ick).

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mandrel posted:

It's really weird and unprofessional to sit on the floor. BUT if I'm the manager, I'm trading that criticism for an apology for loving up and not having enough chairs, therefore forcing dude to sit on the floor. Maybe add that hey man, next time if I screw up again feel free to excuse yourself and go grab a chair, you don't have to sit on the floor.

loving up and not having enough seating is on whoever's job that was, it's not BYOC

if after that dude sits on the floor then maybe it's a different convo about professionalism

I agree with this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Yet I'm weirded out by the lady that wears plush slippers (even into the bathroom, ick).

Well it's not like she's going to lick them any more than you lick your shoes, so :shrug:

Of course I'm all about Work Slippers so I'm biased.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I readily take off my shoes at my desk but I sometimes wonder if we should be denied that privilege. Some people have real stanky feet.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I consider it weird, though unprofessional may be a tad harsh. But I support your freedom / right to be weird, so long as you accept that your superiors frown on such weirdness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

I'm trading that criticism for an apology for loving up and not having enough chairs

To be a little fair to the meeting organizer, there simply weren't enough chairs and meeting rooms in that facility anyway. The building had three conference rooms and no large-meeting space for about 350-500 employees depending on the time of year. Large announcements either happened in the break room / vendateria or in a meeting room we'd rent out by the day above the Subway restaurant down the street. I don't remember for certain, but I'd guess the max capacity of each meeting room was really about 15 people, and we'd regularly cram 20-30 into the room. Competence wasn't high on that site's list of core competencies.

Either way, thanks for the views. Was curious. :)

Edit: I forgot, we also built an open meeting space in the middle of an open office environment where nothing had noise cancellation. It regularly went unused because the meeting couldn't hear itself over the office environment, nor could the office environment hear themselves over the meeting. Meanwhile, none of us could hear anything over the exposed air handlers (it was a repurposed manufacturing floor turned into office space), so nothing of value was lost.

Productivity was incredibly low in that area, and we all had to bring in our own lamps from home because the ceiling lighting was insufficient for office work and our ergo group didn't supply gear for anything not related to floor production. I took all my supplies with me when I left.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 8, 2018