Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Well I wouldn't say I'm happy, but I'm guessing the crushing despair would be worst if I had taken four years off work and eighty odd grands of debt, gotten my wife pregnant twice in that interval only to flunk the bar and not find an articling position anyway.

Or pass the bar and still not find an articling position a year out.

Or drop out of bar school after six months and a mental break down, then go back, do the short program and fail the bar.

...you know what, typing this has made me feel a heck of a lot better about my life :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

BigHead posted:

I think Elotana is very concerned about you S. V. Cava.
Ignorant parents making partial support contingent on decisions so poor their long-term costs outweigh said partial support also rings true for me :ssh:

If someone wants to open a time portal to 2006 I'll shout at myself, but this is the next best thing!

Elotana fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 19, 2014

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA
Sep 6, 2010

insanityv2 posted:

He's making fun of you for using the phrase "gap year" to begin with, FYI.

Goons, y'all are capricious motherfuckers.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA posted:

Either you don't know what capricious means or you aren't quite getting the point that he's making fun of you using the phrase gap year because it sounds entitled and obnoxious.

Everyone here would agree take a year. But that doesn't mean it's a year off, you have a degree, work on getting a job, saving money, etc.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 19, 2014

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
My judge just got moved from arb appeals and some major jury trials (we've been here less than a month) to motions court. I have no idea what to expect except that it's a zoo, we're getting extra clerks to help keep up with the volume of work, and I want to go back to criminal. :(

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You know who else is capricious as gently caress over word choices and usages?

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA
Sep 6, 2010
^^^ assuming you mean law school professors, but tbh I'm not sure how I feel about getting my JD from somethingawful school of law

mikeraskol posted:

Either you don't know what capricious means or you aren't quite getting the point that he's making fun of you using the phrase gap year because it sounds entitled and obnoxious.

Everyone here would agree take a year. But that doesn't mean it's a year off, you have a degree, work on getting a job, saving money, etc.

I agree, didn't realize until googling what the usual context of that phrase was. Everyone I know uses it to mean merely the gap between schooling. vOv

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

^^^ assuming you mean law school professors, but tbh I'm not sure how I feel about getting my JD from somethingawful school of law

Have you ever interacted with a lawyer? Because I spend a surprising amount of time dealing with them and their work (On the client side) and uh... They're somewhat nitpicky at times.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I wonder if anyone knows what capricious means.

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA
Sep 6, 2010
Of course, but I was just trying to point out there's probably a distinction between being cautious with word choice in a professional or academic setting vs having to worry if goon ridicule is going to rain down upon me for calling something a gap year instead of however else I can refer to "taking a year before law school" or whatever. Sorry dude.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Of course, but I was just trying to point out there's probably a distinction between being cautious with word choice in a professional or academic setting vs having to worry if goon ridicule is going to rain down upon me for calling something a gap year instead of however else I can refer to "taking a year before law school" or whatever. Sorry dude.

You really don't understand lawyers, then. Mercilessly mocking word choice is the best part of my day, whether in a professional, academic, or personal setting.

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA
Sep 6, 2010

Arcturas posted:

You really don't understand lawyers, then. Mercilessly mocking word choice is the best part of my day, whether in a professional, academic, or personal setting.

From what I've read so far in this thread it seems like standing on the figurative unemployment line or swiping that sweet, sweet, ebt would be up there. Welp, see y'all goons in a year, maybe. Thanks for talking me out of law school (for now)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Gap year is a pretty normal term for working for a year before law school. I hear it used sometimes at law school.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I had a nice lunch today at this slick Italian joint downtown. It tasted very capricious.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Arcturas posted:

literally the only thing keeping me from hanging myself most days

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm not sure how I feel about getting my JD from somethingawful school of law

I think we just found the solution for all the unemployed goon lawyers. Time to start a law school and rake in the sweet tuition dollars from all the idiots this thread failed to convince.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
You should spend your gap year working like a man, say in construction for example. In fact I have the perfect company for you.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 19, 2014

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available sounds like a pretty sweet gig.

edit: way to break the tables, grandpa. take your senna and get off the internet

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Soothing Vapors posted:

The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available sounds like a pretty sweet gig.

Much like most law-related employment.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You should spend your gap year working like a man, say in construction for example. In fact I have the perfect company for you.

You capricioused my tables!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think we just found the solution for all the unemployed goon lawyers. Time to start a law school and rake in the sweet tuition dollars from all the idiots this thread failed to convince.

Start here:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Goddamn it people are insane. I'm going to open a law school.
It gets going pretty well by the next page. Seriously, you owe it to yourself to read it. It would be capricious not to.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 19, 2014

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Soothing Vapors posted:

I had a nice lunch today at this slick Italian joint downtown. It tasted very capricious.

Soothing Vapors posted:

"Gap year" lmao. loving millenials. you're a grown rear end man, get a job and cut your hair

:unsmith: we matter

I think you make an excellent argument for not being around people who go to law schools.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I read the new posts, took the picture, uploaded to imgur, and posted all from my mobile phone while walking to get lunch and billing 0.5 to the file so you can all suck my donkey dick

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Soothing Vapors posted:

I think you're thinking of the word capercious.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

semicolonsrock posted:

I think you make an excellent argument for not being around people who go to law schools.

I try

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I read the new posts, took the picture, uploaded to imgur, and posted all from my mobile phone while walking to get lunch and billing 0.5 to the file so you can all suck my donkey dick
is it even possible for partners to bill in increments less than 0.5? do you all lose that ability at some point?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Anything worth doing for 0.3 is worth doing for 0.5.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

and so, like a vestigal tail, it falls away with the purchase of your first yacht

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Arcturas posted:

Soothing Vapors posted:

literally the only thing keeping me from hanging myself most days

Soothing Vapors posted:

and so, like a vestigal tail, it falls away with the purchase of your first yacht

:ironicat:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

n-no.... what have i done :negative:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Guys, I literally said about three separate times that I'm taking goon advice and am going to probably retake the lsat and reapply. It seems really strange to me that goons are so willing to jump on this circlejerk of shaming people coming into this thread for advice, who actually also take said advice. :confused:

Yeah, there are lots of legitimately bitter and borderline cruel people in this thread. Some of the "advice-givers" are clearly just looking to put people down. You might even go so far as to say that this thread is full of typical lawyers.

(The advice is still good and correct though.)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

borderline?

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

Vox Nihili posted:

You might even go so far as to say that this thread is full of typical lawyers.

If you don't want to hang around with a bunch of jerks all the time, don't go to law school.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Effective cruelty requires a modicum of competence. Those lawyers are too busy working to post.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Don't worry SV, i still think you're cruel.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Effective cruelty requires a modicum of competence. Those lawyers are too busy working to post.

You can be cruel on the internet while on the phone.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Gap year is a pretty normal term for working for a year before law school. I hear it used sometimes at law school.

S.V. Cava, this only reinforces mikeraskol's point.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

evilweasel posted:

You can be cruel on the internet while on the phone.

Cruel people poop too.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
This thread has gone gangbusters. Samglover showed back up, nm is talking about poop, Soothing is anything but soothing, and approximately six law school people are trying to fluff their feathers about how much of a unicorn they are.

I love this thread.

Do not go to law school under any circumstances.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I convinced a friend of mine and my siblings to run away from law school screaming if the thought even rears its ugly head, my own suffering now has meaning.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

BigHead posted:

This thread has gone gangbusters. Samglover showed back up, nm is talking about poop, Soothing is anything but soothing, and approximately six law school people are trying to fluff their feathers about how much of a unicorn they are.

I love this thread.

I demand Mookie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Not enough sacrifices have been made. Please try again later.