Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Zoness posted:

Man you don't even need fox to go peak grind if you make sarasvati on the bonus priestess day while doing the bathhouse. Then you just pass invigorate 2 to your best guys for the rest of the game :3: (until you get invigorate 3 and then spirit drain and victory cry). I did this in my hard NG playthrough of both P4 and P4G. Shadow Yukiko is almost definitely the hardest boss. I basically hoarded soda to barely get through that dungeon in one day.

Gameplay wise that's my problem with Persona 4. At least in Persona 3 you had to deal with the Sleeping Table.

Although the Nyx Avatar is peak bullshit compared to any Persona 4 end-boss and also ??? is secretly my favorite fight from P3FES (although Artemisia's Vorpal Blade animation is pretty sweet).

Well I had Spell Caster, Mediarahan, and Makarakarn with Null Physical. It wasn't the most unbeatable combination for an MC, but it was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Zoness posted:

(although Artemisia's Vorpal Blade animation is pretty sweet).

I didn't even know Artemisia could learn Vorpal Blade.

e: oh you must be talking about that really weird boss fight towards the end of The Answer, huh?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HGH posted:

One time I had Nyx Avatar cast Bufu on its final phase. On Mitsuru.
That's my funny story for today.

I always thought it funny that Death-Arcana Nyx Avatar had the basic elemental spells. My last attack on it was Panta Rhei, because the last one it got off was Garu and I felt like asserting my superiority.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

I didn't even know Artemisia could learn Vorpal Blade.

e: oh you must be talking about that really weird boss fight towards the end of The Answer, huh?

Yeah the Answer had some cool boss fights but the gimmick the floor bosses used really couldn't be done in the P3P port.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Persona 3 has some really cool ideas and themes but the execution, and pacing, is generally pretty bad. Persona 4 is much better realized game. The cast overall felt a lot more believable to me in terms of their interactions and character arcs. Nobody in Persona 3 had problems that felt, I dunno, real? "I'm afraid of being reviled by society for defying gender norms" resonates a lot more than "my grandfather was insane magical doctor mengele, it's not easy being filthy rich".

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Persona 3 has some really cool ideas and themes but the execution, and pacing, is generally pretty bad. Persona 4 is much better realized game. The cast overall felt a lot more believable to me in terms of their interactions and character arcs. Nobody in Persona 3 had problems that felt, I dunno, real? "I'm afraid of being reviled by society for defying gender norms" resonates a lot more than "my grandfather was insane magical doctor mengele, it's not easy being filthy rich".

Um not knowing how to eat a burger is a tough problem to overcome.

Also I dunno sunbro from persona 3 is probably my favorite S. Link from any of the games.

Honestly though the realism angle in any SMT game isn't one that really hits me because I mean come on dick chariot.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 21, 2015

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I liked Persona 3 when you could run around town with your hands in your pockets

Not possible in P3P :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zoness posted:

Um not knowing how to eat a burger is a tough problem to overcome.

Also I dunno sunbro from persona 3 is probably my favorite S. Link from any of the games.

Honestly though the realism angle in any SMT game isn't one that really hits me because I mean come on dick chariot.

It's not really realism per se that's the issue. Fiction can evoke real things through the fantastical. Obviously shadow filled mind labyrinths aren't realistic but the themes they represent can be. In that sense what Persona 4 had to say was more worth saying.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I like both P3 and P4, but the theme of "figuring out/accepting the person you are or want to be" is more interesting/unique to me than "gently caress it, we're all going to die". Evokers are cooler than magical tarot cards, though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If only Persona 4 was willing to have the characters change in any meaningful way the whole theme the game was built upon wouldn't be shallow and pointless.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I know people knock P4 for having the character development happen in S. LInks but it's not like those are the feverish delusions of the MC, they "really happened".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If only Persona 4 was willing to have the characters change in any meaningful way the whole theme the game was built upon wouldn't be shallow and pointless.

From what I remember a lot of the S links just had characters conforming back to whatever they tried to run from anyway.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Momomo posted:

From what I remember a lot of the S links just had characters conforming back to whatever they tried to run from anyway.
Yeah, and that's a cool narrative idea, but it also kinda makes it feel like the Social Links are spinning their wheels sometimes. Yukiko decides to manage the inn, but likes it now! Rise decides to rejoin the skeevy rear end idol industry, but like it now! Social Links or whatever version Persona 5 has reflecting in other cutscenes is something I really want out of P5, but I dunno if they will.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Kanji is totally cool with who he is but is absolutely not a homosexual.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I preferred Persona 4 because I did not want to watch 80 hours of suicide imagery.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

littleorv posted:

Yeah see, that guy he liked was actually a girl the whole time.

That makes it not gay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanji's sexuality is intentionally ambiguous and will probably never be answered because it is legitimately not important to his plot.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

I'm glad that men liking traditionally feminine things aren't automatically assumed to be gay, too.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

I guess mechanically the idea is that the player won't miss anything endingwise per character if they don't max all the links but I also want to say that there's also a theme about looking at conflicts from multiple angles and that Persona 4 is intentionally ambiguous about whether or not each character's "problem is solved" because problems don't just get solved that quickly but like being able to do things despite having a form of conflict to address is a form of development in itself.

ImpAtom posted:

Kanji's sexuality is intentionally ambiguous and will probably never be answered because it is legitimately not important to his plot.

:agreed:

The joke is that players who are caught up in the argument of Kanji's orientation are the people who caused Kanji's insecurities to surface in the first place. There was kind of a theme in some Japanese media at one point about how society's expectations drive people to act in unhealthy ways. That said I hope there's a hardcore hikkikomori character in persona 5.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Persona 3 is a good game I used Mitsuru merely because she was my waifu even if she loving used Diarahan on Nyx over and over :argh:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

I'm glad that men liking traditionally feminine things aren't automatically assumed to be gay, too.

Yeah but that's not feelgood progressive enough for me.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I know people knock P4 for having the character development happen in S. LInks but it's not like those are the feverish delusions of the MC, they "really happened".
People knock it more-so because it has no impact on the plot in any way. Characters accept their shadows shortly after you meet them, then their development is more or less irrelevant.

Volt Catfish posted:

Persona 3 is a good game I used Mitsuru merely because she was my waifu even if she loving used Diarahan on Nyx over and over :argh:
P3P makes your waifu not suck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Volt Catfish posted:

I used Mitsuru because she fences and fencing is fun.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Volt Catfish posted:

The trick to Mitsuru is not to leave her on the default AI setting. That's when she wastes turns on Marin Karin.

Just set her to heal when you need healing, or Full Assault/Knockdown when you need ice spells.

Or play the PSP version where you can control the party manually.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Butt Ghost posted:

People knock it more-so because it has no impact on the plot in any way. Characters accept their shadows shortly after you meet them, then their development is more or less irrelevant.
I guess it's semantics but what I'm saying is that the S. Links are part of "the plot" as well. The problem is that they are not dynamically/organically integrated in such a way that things play out differently if you level it up in time for certain main plot events. Tales of Xillia 2 is a rudimentary example of a game that more or less did such a thing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really all they needed to do was add a couple throwaway lines in story scenes if you had someones S link at X level or whatever and it'd feel way less pointless. Even if it didn't actually change anything meaningful.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really all they needed to do was add a couple throwaway lines in story scenes if you had someones S link at X level or whatever and it'd feel way less pointless. Even if it didn't actually change anything meaningful.

They had some of those on the last day, when you're going around saying goodbye to everybody.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I find the idea of the Dark Hour, and some of the things that were done with it, more interesting that the TV world, but that's purely a subjective opinion.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just swap out certain sections of dialog depending on the S Link level or something, yeah.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think that Persona 3 did some things better than Persona 4, but Persona 4 did a lot of things better than Persona 3. However, they are both good games that I enjoy playing.

That is my opinion on My Animes™

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The SMT X FE characters designer shares some insights on his new challenges. Such as:

quote:

As far as characters go, we have discussions such as “what we should do in terms of bust size?” with suggestions like “they could be large and have glasses to go with them,” and “no, glasses are no good,” and so on.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Man, breasts don't even wear glasses. that's just silly

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sounds promising to me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blhue posted:

Man, breasts don't even wear glasses. that's just silly

agreed, it is silly that there are no glasses for breasts

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Healbot posted:

Sounds promising to me.

Hahahaha

E: "Megami Tensei Megathread - What we should do in terms of bust size?"

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 22, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
GOTY 2016 Confirmed.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
If "no, glasses are no good" is even in the discussion then this game is loving doomed

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I ain't gonna buy no game by some dude who thinks glasses and big tits don't go together, what the gently caress.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kamiya would be ashamed.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah I ain't gonna buy no game by some dude who thinks glasses and big tits don't go together, what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

glasses are good