Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

My aluminum pie pans tell me not to cut the pies while they are still in the pan. Do people actually remove pies from the pans before cutting and serving? If so, how? Doing this seems risky to me, and it seems like there's no way it would work for fruit pies that have more liquid in the center.

While we are on the subject of pie pans... I prefer aluminum over Pyrex. Ceramic is pretty nice too but aluminum is still my favorite :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

dead lettuce posted:

My aluminum pie pans tell me not to cut the pies while they are still in the pan. Do people actually remove pies from the pans before cutting and serving? If so, how? Doing this seems risky to me, and it seems like there's no way it would work for fruit pies that have more liquid in the center.

While we are on the subject of pie pans... I prefer aluminum over Pyrex. Ceramic is pretty nice too but aluminum is still my favorite :shrug:

I've actually seen this a few times. Usually it's two spatulas and you sort of work them in under the pie and lift it gently to a plate. You're correct that this is a hilariously delicate procedure and I've seen more than my fair share of hosed-up pies presented on fancy pie plates. Fish turners would invariably work better, but who has two of those. (Apparently not people who routinely drop pies due to lovely equipment)

I don't know why anyone would do this to themselves, since literally no-one cares how pie is presented, it's just delicious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always cut pies in the pan. The first piece will always come out all hosed up but after that it's smooth sailing.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The best way to take pie out is to use two plates. You put one plate on top of the pie dish, grab the whole gubbins and turn it over. The pie should pop out, albeit now upside down. Take off the pie dish, put the second plate on top of the base of the upside down pie. Invert again, remove first plate.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Scientastic posted:

The best way to take pie out is to use two plates. You put one plate on top of the pie dish, grab the whole gubbins and turn it over. The pie should pop out, albeit now upside down. Take off the pie dish, put the second plate on top of the base of the upside down pie. Invert again, remove first plate.

This is also how I flip large quesadillas made with two round tortillas!

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Scientastic posted:

I guess if it works for layer cakes, it would work for pie! I don't think it would work for single-crust pudding pies or custard pies though... not sure if I want to risk my next butterscotch pie by trying it out.

I don't care about presentation, I was just wondering if it was bad for my pans to leave knife marks on the bottoms, but all other options sound too risky. I'll just cut up my pans slowly over time and use foil or buy new pans if they get too gross on the bottom.

For 2 tortilla quesadillas, I flip as quickly as possible with a wide spatula... it works out most of the time.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Why not just use pans like this?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I'm baking pies. Should I use foil or get a pie shield

Steve Yun posted:

Pie plates... glass or metal?
Unless I have specific needs for something else, I use a metal quiche pan with a removable bottom. Most of the time I made a pâte brisée crust, and blind bake from frozen, temper the filling, and then finish by baking in the oven. When blind baking I use foil and weights, but in general for the final bake I use neither foil nor a shield unless the exposed part of the blind-baked crust is getting overdone. Usually I make the bottom crust large enough to overhang the lip of the pan and then trim it later, so it's not really an issue either way.

With a removable-bottom pan you can easily pop the whole completed pie out for slicing without loving anything up.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Brawnfire posted:

The only time I've ever had persimmon was sample at the grocery store. It tasted like a weird pulpy sweet tomato and I had to spit it out. Did I just get a bad persimmon, or is this just an acquired taste?

There are a few types of persimmon. The ones I've seen (and tried, because I love persimmons) are Hachiya, which is soft and very sweet when ripe but disgusting and bitter when unripe; Cinnamon, which is related to Hachiya but edible before it's completely soft; and Fuyu, which is firmer and makes for good garnishing or cooking (since it's firm when eaten). My favorite among those is Cinnamon, with Hachiya a close second - I don't care for Fuyus as much. You probably had an unripe Fuyu; they aren't as bitter as Hachiya when unripe, but instead pretty flavorless.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mirthdefect posted:

Why not just use pans like this?

Because you ruin the flakiness of a proper pie crust by pressing the dough into the scalloped edges of a tart pan.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Casu Marzu posted:

Because you ruin the flakiness of a proper pie crust by pressing the dough into the scalloped edges of a tart pan.

Yes good work correctly identifying the feature of that pan relevant to the current conversation.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Casu Marzu posted:

You can get them in models that don't have the fluting. Out of curiosity, why are they fluted if it makes the pastry's texture worse?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

You can get them in models that don't have the fluting. Out of curiosity, why are they fluted if it makes the pastry's texture worse?

The fluting isn't for pies, it's for flan.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Squashy Nipples posted:

The fluting isn't for pies, it's for flan.

So, you don't want nice flakey pastry for flans, but you do for pies? Or, they're for the type of flan which doesn't have pastry?

Genuinely curious here, I use one for pies because it's convenient and I never noticed an issue with it. I taught myself to make pies from internet recipes though, so I'm missing a lot of the finer points.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 4, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flan has no pastry, you pour it into a mold and it sets up like jello.

But hey, use what you want, man. If you are making good pies with your current set up, don't let me discourage you!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Ah, I get you. In the UK, this is a flan:

Which I guess is called a Tart in the US.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 4, 2015

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I recently moved from Kansas City to Los Alamos, NM. So I've gone from sea level to 7000 feet. I know that affects cooking but I'm not entirely sure how. I have to bake stuff longer, I gather. Any other hints for me?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

FishBulb posted:

I recently moved from Kansas City to Los Alamos, NM. So I've gone from sea level to 7000 feet. I know that affects cooking but I'm not entirely sure how. I have to bake stuff longer, I gather. Any other hints for me?

You've moved to Los Alamos and you don't know how lower pressure will affect heat transfer? I'm so confused.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

psychokitty posted:

You've moved to Los Alamos and you don't know how lower pressure will affect heat transfer? I'm so confused.

My wife is the nerd, I'm a stay at home dad that studied art :unsmith:

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

FishBulb posted:

My wife is the nerd, I'm a stay at home dad that studied art :unsmith:

Ok sorry. It's mostly about increasing temperature and time for anything involving liquid (i.e. everything), and the more liquid, the more increase.

There's some other stuff for baking, so here's a helpful chart from King Arthur. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/high-altitude-baking.html

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Thanks that was pretty much exactly what I wanted

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

Ah, I get you. In the UK, this is a flan

The crust for a tart is usually different than the crust for a pie. Most pies will use a pate sucre, but most tarts use something more like a short dough

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

pile of brown posted:

The crust for a tart is usually different than the crust for a pie. Most pies will use a pate sucre, but most tarts use something more like a short dough

Fair enough, I just looked it up and I think Pate Sucre is what I use for making sweet tarts as well. It's kind of confusing, since I found 4 recipes and they were all different wrt flour/butter/sugar ratios. Also, some made it like cookie dough with creaming sugar and butter first, while others did the standard crumb flour/butter method...

Is there like a sort of "Gold Standard" recipe? Or is it the kind of thing you experiment with until you find one which matches your own personal tastes?

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Hey, people who do aged eggnog. does it normally form like...a plug in the highest point of the bottle it has access to? I just cracked open one of my 500 ml bottles after a month to try it, and i had to like, stick a knife in there to get the plug out of the way to get liquid to come through. wondering if i hosed up big time.

edit - Just checked, one of the 1l bottles has it too.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Yeah I'm making Smitten's all-butter pie crust, only a touch of sugar in one crust. I like it flaky and crispy. Pate sucre is good in tarts but I'm definitely more of a pie crust person. Easier and tastier imo, but I get that pate sucre is more "correct" from a culinary standpoint. Still, I often sub pie crust for pate sucre especially for apple tarts.

I might look into one of those pans with the removable bottoms next time I need a pie pan, but I think it's cheaper and easier to use regular pie pans. Practically all of them have fluted edges as far as I can tell.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

FishBulb posted:

Nice! I'm recently in Los Alamos as well, so I can speak a little from experience.

Most stuff does take a little longer, including stuff like rice/beans. You may need to add some extra water to make up for the evaporation during longer cooking. I have a pressure cooker which helps a lot with beans and my manual specifies an ~25% increase in cooking time for 7000 feet. Supposedly you get drunk faster at high altitude as well, but I don't really notice it.

And you should make your way to Santa Fe if you can (~30-40 min away), there are much more numerous and better restaurants there compared to Los Alamos proper. It's also known to be a kind of 'artsy' town with lots of galleries in the historic districts and there's several museums there.

The regional specialty is Breakfast Burritos and red/green chile. The red is dried peppers blended with a roux and the green is fresh peppers roasted until charred, peeled, and chopped.

And you should check out the White Rock overlook, you get an extraordinary view of the Rio Grande valley.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I actually used to live in ABQ for awhile and have been to Santa Fe before a bunch of times but thanks for the suggestions. That was part of the reason why we were willing to move back here. Big fan of chile and sopapillas.

We went down to White Rock when we were looking for a house, the realtor was big on white rock and that was a very nice view but I wanted to live in town proper.

Adjusting to life in a town with like 10k people, 1 grocery store and almost no restaurants is going to be kinda tricky but we'll make do.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Renzuko posted:

Hey, people who do aged eggnog. does it normally form like...a plug in the highest point of the bottle it has access to? I just cracked open one of my 500 ml bottles after a month to try it, and i had to like, stick a knife in there to get the plug out of the way to get liquid to come through. wondering if i hosed up big time.

No, mine has never done that, sounds like the bottles weren't quite sealed?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Renzuko posted:

Is it possible you overheated it while you were making it? If the egg yolks curdled, I can imagine that they might solidify into a solid lumpy layer like you describe.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

This was the recipe I used http://ruhlman.com/2014/11/holiday-classic-aged-eggnog/

and I used swing top bottles that i just kind of ran through the dishwasher before filling. I just checked the other 1l which was put on its side and it seems to have the solid in the air pocket area too. I opened the first 1l and the thing did pop, I'm not sure if that's good or bad though since this is my first time doing it.

When I tried the stuff from the smaller bottle I had some bad gas, but nothing super horrible.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

FishBulb posted:

I actually used to live in ABQ for awhile and have been to Santa Fe before a bunch of times but thanks for the suggestions. That was part of the reason why we were willing to move back here. Big fan of chile and sopapillas.

We went down to White Rock when we were looking for a house, the realtor was big on white rock and that was a very nice view but I wanted to live in town proper.

Adjusting to life in a town with like 10k people, 1 grocery store and almost no restaurants is going to be kinda tricky but we'll make do.

On the other hand, lunch at Viola's is good, cheap, and hilariously huge.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Brother brought home a 4-pack of 6 oz ribeyes from Costco. Prime grade, measuring about 1.5 inches in height. I've never cooked ribeyes of this size before. Can I just throw them in a cast iron over super high heat like I usually do or does the small size preclude that method? Or do I just return them?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Ah, I get you. In the UK, this is a flan:

Wow, I had no idea. Sort of like the sweater/jumper thing, I guess.

(in the US, a jumper is a type of ladies dress)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Squashy Nipples posted:

Jumper is a new one on me!

My favorite story about that is an English guy who was trying to make some kind of sauce, and the recipe called for an 8oz can of Tomato Puree, which isn't very common in the UK (we tend to use Passata instead, which is uncooked). In the UK Tomato Puree is the concentrated paste you add to sauces to thicken them, so the guy goes out and buys 8 little tins of that and dumps it all in his sauce at once. Poor guy ended up with a pot full of inedible tomato glue.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

I went to the UK years ago and got asked to come to a more formal event (when I only had grubby backpacking-type clothes), so I asked someone I barely knew if I could borrow their pants.

That was a weird conversation for a moment.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

On the other hand, lunch at Viola's is good, cheap, and hilariously huge.

I've driven by that place a bunch of times and thought it was closed. Learn something every day.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
So apparently Germans don't eat pies and thus don't sell pie tins, would it be safe to build a pie tin out of aluminum foil, wire, and cardboard?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Just quickly pack your things and leave the country now...

Anyway, sorry for the kinda meh source: The ignition point for cardboard is 427 degrees Celsius or 801 degrees Fahrenheit., so it is probably ok to use cardboard, or at least it won't start on fire (hopefully). I would be worried about using an insulator as the pin tin changing the browning/cooking time.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Shadow0 posted:

So apparently Germans don't eat pies and thus don't sell pie tins, would it be safe to build a pie tin out of aluminum foil, wire, and cardboard?

What exactly do you want from a pie tin? You should be able to find tart tins:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B000T5RYAU/ref=mp_s_a_1_67?qid=1449349116&sr=8-67&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=tortenformen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is it okay to use Barkeeper's Friend on the cooking (interior) surface of a pan? I've cleaned the outside with it, and I know you're supposed to wipe it out afterward, and I would wash it afterward as well. Still, the can has a bunch of warnings on the label, so I want to make sure I'm not going to destroy my stomach or something by eating food cooked in it later.