Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

No you have to reinvent something with each iteration to stay fresh and modern, or else the game blogs and Twitter will crucify you as boring and stuck in a rut.

I agree it's one of the most stupid things about the industry but here we are. Not everything has to reinvent, it can just be good for fucks sake.

Don't forget that it has to have constant post launch support or people will bitch that they only got X hours out of the game before it ended. It's gotta be a service with all the F2P trappings and can't just be a standalone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The feeling I get is that people would have had been a lot more lenient if TCP was a $30-40 game, which used to exist as a sellable price point and might have even been the original vision for a game like this before it ballooned up.

I guess, but to me it just doesn't seem all that interesting at any price point. I'm not sure that halving the price or building to a smaller, cheaper scope would have resulted in more than double the sales because the team seems to have had a problem both with their vision and with the execution.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 17, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'd be willing to pay $30 for a mediocre experience that looks good, but if you go as overboard as callisto does and have to charge $70 as a consequence, then all you have is a game that i'm far more inclined to watch on youtube than pay out the nose for

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

$30 for an 8-15 hour B-tier experience that has some neat ideas and looks nice while not being some pixel art piece of crap is the exact type of game I buy and enjoy all the time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speaking of I finished Plague Tale Requiem and it wasn't as bad as people said.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I have to finish that but I got caught up in doing other stuff and now I've lost too much momentum.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Speaking of I finished Plague Tale Requiem and it wasn't as bad as people said.

my impression is that requiem is mostly a taste thing in that it goes to a severely deep dark place and that's not always everyone's thing, although i do think the "you're not gonna believe this" stinger is a tad too much to cram in to the experience

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is CP the first commercially released UE5 game? 160 million does seem ridiculous on paper but I imagine they planned this multimedia release tie in with PUBG and had to bail at literally the last minute.

But yeah I'm in the "horror games have to kind of look like poo poo" camp. Signalis is everything I want from a horror game visually.

Also y'all check out this short little Assault Suit Leynos looking 2D eldritch horror game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_7JvoTIBSc

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i don't even think it's that horror games have to look like a haunted PS1 demo disk to work, but rather that you can do way more with way less. dead space 2's atmosphere and mood still holds up to this day, and that's a loving 360 game

there's just this bizarre industry obsession with photorealistic sheet metal rendering and seeing every polygon of stubble on the generic crew cut space marine guys who star in these titles, even though those are completely ancillary to the actual horror experience, and the result is these $70 turkeys that have to cut their prices to the bone and possibly pay studio trigger to put out an award-winning anime to salvage the property

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

al-azad posted:

Is CP the first commercially released UE5 game? 160 million does seem ridiculous on paper but I imagine they planned this multimedia release tie in with PUBG and had to bail at literally the last minute.

But yeah I'm in the "horror games have to kind of look like poo poo" camp. Signalis is everything I want from a horror game visually.

Also y'all check out this short little Assault Suit Leynos looking 2D eldritch horror game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_7JvoTIBSc

That game looks and sounds cool but scrubbing around the video I only happened on one instance of actual gameplay and the rest was codec calls.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

Callisto is UE4, as far as I'm aware there hasn't been a commercially released UE5 game yet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Hellblade 2 switched to UE5 and it pushed the production timeline back a whole year. First major title I know that claims to be running it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Callisto is UE4, as far as I'm aware there hasn't been a commercially released UE5 game yet.

Huh idk where I saw UE5. Time to make a UE5 game over the weekend and claim firsties.

SkeletonHero posted:

That game looks and sounds cool but scrubbing around the video I only happened on one instance of actual gameplay and the rest was codec calls.

It's oddly spaced in the first half lol but it's a 30-ish minute game about grappling a mech underwater and punching pustule fish with a creepy as gently caress ending where an anime girl dies horribly. So kind of like Super Metroid Signalis.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vermain posted:

i don't even think it's that horror games have to look like a haunted PS1 demo disk to work, but rather that you can do way more with way less. dead space 2's atmosphere and mood still holds up to this day, and that's a loving 360 game

there's just this bizarre industry obsession with photorealistic sheet metal rendering and seeing every polygon of stubble on the generic crew cut space marine guys who star in these titles, even though those are completely ancillary to the actual horror experience, and the result is these $70 turkeys that have to cut their prices to the bone and possibly pay studio trigger to put out an award-winning anime to salvage the property

po-faced realism is something high budget games always strived for but The Last of Us in particular inflicted a sucking chest wound on the entire medium

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

Don't forget that it has to have constant post launch support or people will bitch that they only got X hours out of the game before it ended. It's gotta be a service with all the F2P trappings and can't just be a standalone

Holy poo poo I hate this mindset. Every time I hear someone talk about how they went through a game with 100+ hours of content and now there's nothing left to do in it, and frame it as a complaint against the experience, is just disheartening.

It's funny, I play a bunch of Genshin Impact, but slowly, so I'm laughing behind new content by months if not more, and they are constantly coming out with new stuff. But the number of complaints heard about how there isn't enough endgame stuff for super maxed characters with the highest level equipment and how they played a new content patch nonstop for three days and now have nothing to do is mindblowing.

The devs, thankfully, don't give a poo poo and I thank them for it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

2023 is shaping up to be a pretty big year for AAA horror, with RE4/SH2/DS remakes, that all-new SH project, Alan Wake 2, Dead Island 2 (lol) and a lot of other stuff that while probably not costing $160 million to make are definitely a few steps above indie.

Yeah, I guess this is a bad year to try and sell a "nobody needs AAA horror anymore" narrative. And hey, I wouldn't want to sell that anyway. I like Resident Evil and Silent Hill plenty.

But 3 of those are remakes in established and already beloved franchises. And even then, while I'm sure RE4 will be a critical and commercial home run, SH2 has some significant question marks over it, and I wouldn't rule out a Dead Space remake launching in January for Ł50 ending up with a similar news story about missed publisher targets as Callisto.

In a just world Alan Wake 2 should be one of the slam dunk releases of the year, but again.. do Remedy games have a sales track record? I seem to recall Control not selling well but I could be wildly wrong on that.

Maybe they all do well enough not to torpedo their IP, which would be nice.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bumhead posted:

Yeah, I guess this is a bad year to try and sell a "nobody needs AAA horror anymore" narrative. And hey, I wouldn't want to sell that anyway. I like Resident Evil and Silent Hill plenty.

But 3 of those are remakes in established and already beloved franchises. And even then, while I'm sure RE4 will be a critical and commercial home run, SH2 has some significant question marks over it, and I wouldn't rule out a Dead Space remake launching in January for £50 ending up with a similar news story about missed publisher targets as Callisto.

In a just world Alan Wake 2 should be one of the slam dunk releases of the year, but again.. do Remedy games have a sales track record? I seem to recall Control not selling well but I could be wildly wrong on that.

Maybe they all do well enough not to torpedo their IP, which would be nice.

Control has actually been great for Remedy!

https://www.destructoid.com/control-remedy-sales-sequel-505-games/

Alan Wake has become such a cult hit you have to imagine if they keep expectations reasonable and don't deviate from the first too far it should do well.

On the greater topic, this is indeed a great year for horror, and I'm even expecting Dead Island 2 to do well. They revealed it in the worst marketed way possible but the trailer actually looked fun as hell. The 'humor' here will be make or break I think.

Silent Hill 2 has the combo of original devs being involved and holding the leash on bloober. They know atmosphere and their artists are some of the best.

I forget are we getting the new southern Alone In the Dark this year?

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 17, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I forgot about that one, I'm intrigued by it but I think there's been no official date announced yet. Even without it, that's a good crop of games for this year.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Genuinely happy about that. Remedy are great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot about that one, I'm intrigued by it but I think there's been no official date announced yet. Even without it, that's a good crop of games for this year.

Sony included it in their recent sizzle reel of 2023 games so it's at least planned to come out this year I guess.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I too would laugh at any film studio contemplating a Marvel budget horror film.

I watched Possession over the weekend and holy poo poo it not only explains Ari Aster's whole career but the movie deftly moves from freak-outs-so-funny to "oh my god is the actor safe???"

Also added Dagon to my watchlist as a friend recommended it as "Shinji Mikami had this on repeat while designing RE4."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sakurazuka posted:

Sony included it in their recent sizzle reel of 2023 games so it's at least planned to come out this year I guess.

Ah, I hadn't seen that. Even better.

e:

al-azad posted:

Also added Dagon to my watchlist as a friend recommended it as "Shinji Mikami had this on repeat while designing RE4."

I haven't seen that in forever, maybe even since before RE4. I could see that based on my vague memories, I'll have to dig it up and watch it again.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know nothing about sales numbers myself, but the discussion I saw suggested that the actual sales numbers were reasonable for this kind of new IP, and the expected numbers were insane overvaluing. It just sounds like the whole thing turned out to be a weird money sink for whatever reason.

It’s Alien: Isolation all over again, except the game fuckin sucks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Holy poo poo I hate this mindset. Every time I hear someone talk about how they went through a game with 100+ hours of content and now there's nothing left to do in it, and frame it as a complaint against the experience, is just disheartening.

It's funny, I play a bunch of Genshin Impact, but slowly, so I'm laughing behind new content by months if not more, and they are constantly coming out with new stuff. But the number of complaints heard about how there isn't enough endgame stuff for super maxed characters with the highest level equipment and how they played a new content patch nonstop for three days and now have nothing to do is mindblowing.

They put out a game that's only 100 hours of content, how dare they abandon it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm just not clear on what the RoI is on these massive budgets, even from a publisher perspective there are cleaner, safer investment paths that don't require this sort of expense. It feels like a Producers situation (which I know does happen in game dev sometimes).
A lot of times publishers aren’t smart or know what they’re doing, or they believe they do and they don’t. What goes into making a perpetual money printer like GTA5? How do you tell that the game you’re getting progress reports about is going to be one of those? Who knows. Productions live and die for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes a mismanaged project gets to a point where you can’t cancel and all you can do is try to minimize the good money going after bad.

Sometimes they do know what they’re doing and trap themselves in a situation just by dint of fealty to the promises they make on quarterly earnings forecasts. Cyberpunk 2077 was tee’d up to be a GTA-level cultural event-slash-money printer, but the core single player hosed the dog so horrendously that with blinding speed it became, if not a true embarrassment, just another AAA release; luckily for them the hype was strong enough that they hit decent numbers before anybody knew what they were getting. The targets this Korean company put up suggest they really did not know what to expect.

Anyway I feel bad for the ppl who have to work with a “loud public straight shooter” founder. Basically no way he’s gonna make you look good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I disagree with the idea that CP has particularly good graphics; at best, it’s got expensive graphics largely squandered or underutilized. There’s no reason for that sort of AAA to exist, essentially.

Conversely, Gotham Knights looked remarkably terrible despite the availability of the assets and engine from the Arkham series; the studio seems profoundly mismanaged.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Game companies will never admit they have a project management problem but this is largely it.

This seems to be a major root issue in a lot of studios, extending upward to publishers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Morpheus posted:

I'm the same, i keep seeing people dump 100's of hours into games and then they go "its bad, don't buy it".

Is it bad because its actually bad or is it bad because you've played 100 hours and that non-perfect thing that bugs you infuriates you now?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

TheWorldsaStage posted:

:stare: I completely missed this, and I need it now!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

dogstile posted:

I'm the same, i keep seeing people dump 100's of hours into games and then they go "its bad, don't buy it".

Is it bad because its actually bad or is it bad because you've played 100 hours and that non-perfect thing that bugs you infuriates you now?

I *somewhat* believe this for things like League and other games where it's less "game is fundamentally boring to play" and more "it's designed to make you dance like a puppet on a string".

Like I have hundreds of hours in MMOs and believe they are basically evil.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Sometimes you just want some poo poo to play to decompress.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

dogstile posted:

Many of these are caused by long time fans getting That One Change that breaks them or the state of the game deteriorates so badly they flee. There's also the company doing heinous things and earning a review bomb like Lost Ark giving people permanent ban stickers on their steam profiles because they haven't played the game in too long so they banned the accounts to close them.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

dogstile posted:

I have 1300 hours in Destiny 2 (actually more because that's only what steam tracks and doesn't include the hours from when it was an activision game), and if anyone asked me if they should buy it I would tell them absolutely not. Just because I have a crippling addiction on a game that breaks every other week and doesn't respect its player's time, doesn't mean other people should develop one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Another neat lo-fi game on my radar: Empty Shell which looks like a more action-y Teleglitch (also highly recommended for survival with a splash of horror fans)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOAPZA2ZPLI

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Doomykins posted:

There's also the company doing heinous things and earning a review bomb like Lost Ark giving people permanent ban stickers on their steam profiles because they haven't played the game in too long so they banned the accounts to close them.

This is a bit of an exception. Sure, i'm all for it in this case.

----------

I'm not really gonna agree with "Hey i'm addicted to mmo's i can't recommend this game" if the game is actually good. I don't quite have the brain that requires me to get absolutely everything in an mmo, so I can't agree. Are the mechanics good, is it fun? Go for it. The game rewarding you making it your main game? Fine by me, if it doesn't do that, people complain that there is not enough to do, etc etc.

On horror chat, is there a calm streamer that isn't Wolfe or Manly? I've watched them to death at this point and i'm after someone who doesn't panic at everything but just has a different personality.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

dogstile posted:

On horror chat, is there a calm streamer that isn't Wolfe or Manly? I've watched them to death at this point and i'm after someone who doesn't panic at everything but just has a different personality.

I watch Gab Smolders on occasion. She gets spooked at some stuff but is generally pretty subdued.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dogstile posted:

This is a bit of an exception. Sure, i'm all for it in this case.

----------

I'm not really gonna agree with "Hey i'm addicted to mmo's i can't recommend this game" if the game is actually good. I don't quite have the brain that requires me to get absolutely everything in an mmo, so I can't agree. Are the mechanics good, is it fun? Go for it. The game rewarding you making it your main game? Fine by me, if it doesn't do that, people complain that there is not enough to do, etc etc.

Cjugames, he gets spooked surprisingly easy but it’s like very British accent “woah *calmly hyperventilates* didn’t expect that one hahaha”. He also turns off his face cam during gameplay and only shows his extreme reactions at the end in a highlight reel.

Second for Gab Smolders

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
abg (alpha beta gamer) plays mostly horror, some AAA titles as well as a ton of interesting indies with no commentary or onscreen presence at all, strong recommend

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I like watching ABG, my favourite parts of it are when you can tell he got shocked at something - most of the time they play in a fairly chill manner but every so often something will give them a jump scare and you'll see the camera jump. Again, no commentary, but you know exactly what happened there.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Is Fatal Frame 4 (Mask of the Lunar Eclipse) generally considered better than FF5 (Maiden of Black Water)? I'm really only familiar with 1 through 3.

Morpheus posted:

I like watching ABG, my favourite parts of it are when you can tell he got shocked at something - most of the time they play in a fairly chill manner but every so often something will give them a jump scare and you'll see the camera jump. Again, no commentary, but you know exactly what happened there.

Ha, that sounds adorable. :allears: I'll check them out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Read After Burning posted:

Is Fatal Frame 4 (Mask of the Lunar Eclipse) generally considered better than FF5 (Maiden of Black Water)? I'm really only familiar with 1 through 3.

In my opinion yes, quite a bit. But I’ve seen people who say 4 was bad, too. I liked it and felt let down by 5 generally.