Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
How do I dva?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

RC Cola posted:

How do I dva?

Use matrix to screen for your team, bully anything that comes up to you to snap you out of matrix, backpedal furiously whilst shooting if the mech is dead then play very safe (DO NOT PEEK CORNERS) and abuse the fact that you get limited invincibility frames as you climb back in, the only time you shouldn't be field-goaling your ulti is objective-denial on defense.

Enjoy the road to diamond, try not to have too much fun.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Sombra will be the lead-in for Blizzard's Halloween special which will probably be Day of the Dead themed because Sombra is Spanish and Blizzard isn't that inventive.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Stealth will make this game very unfun, Sombra better be amazing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Verranicus posted:

Stealth will make this game very unfun, Sombra better be amazing.

The problem with stealth is that either its so strong it's game breaking or so marginal the character sucks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she'll have a stun where she just points over your shoulder and it goes into third person while your hero turns around, confused

her stealth will be a cardboard box she can walk around in

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
She can disguise herself as a payload, causing a fear effect on everyone in line of sight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

actually let's continue the cartoon character vibe here and let her walk on the air if she walks off an edge, but if she looks down she falls

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Sombra can paint tunnels on the walls that act like portals for your team to move through.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

but then when an enemy tries to use it: solid rock

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I eagerly await reaper's best buddy, edgelord bugs bunny

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I would legitimately love a Looney Tunes-esque FPS, you don't even know.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

resistentialism posted:

but then when an enemy tries to use it: solid rock

Her ult makes a train come out but then again lol hanjo

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
She can divert the payload by raising the hem of her dress and sticking her thumb out.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

She can counter Soldier's Ult by sticking her finger in his gun barrel, causing it to explode and leave Soldier's face blackened with gunpowder

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
She uses a giant magnet to drag D. VA Bastion and Zenyatta around.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

can the magnet reverse polarity so that she can make a d.va sized bowling ball

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Oh , and she can also spray paint a big X on the ground which causes a safe to drop on enemies that stand on it. When her ultimate is active this upgrades to a piano.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Just want to say that there's very friendly people in the SA Overwatch Discord. Just had a nice session with a bunch of players there. Good communication, good teamplay, it's pretty good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

"Offensive" Symmetra on a payload map :cripes:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Oh oh oh did you tell the person what an idiot it was? Constantly? Make sure you report him for playing a hero that he shouldn't!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sombra's voice lines will be various stock sounds like the Wilhelm scream, Tarzan yell, meep meep, all that foley poo poo from cartoons, and her E is a supply of portable holes that she yanks out of a briefcase labeled "ACME PORTABLE HOLES" that she can throw on the ground for people to fall into.

Her ult is batman-bomb.gif and if she dies in the blast she declares that some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Sombra doesn't exist.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PureRok posted:

Sombra doesn't exist.

Judge Doom got to her :ohdear:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Theta Zero posted:

Just want to say that there's very friendly people in the SA Overwatch Discord. Just had a nice session with a bunch of players there. Good communication, good teamplay, it's pretty good.

Is there any good way to determine which ones are worth playing comp with? My only experience on the main Discord was 5 other goons just staring at D.Va's exploding mech when it still had the slow countdown. Twice.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there any good way to determine which ones are worth playing comp with? My only experience on the main Discord was 5 other goons just staring at D.Va's exploding mech when it still had the slow countdown. Twice.

Not really. I mean, we were limited by our own ranks and that's it.

I'm more of a leader when I'm in groups and so I did things like ask everyone what they were comfortable with and picking more skill-intensive and central classes like Zenyatta, Soldier 76, and so forth while making sure that the team stayed together, was adapting to the enemy, and was aware of what the enemy was doing. Teamwork makes it look like everyone on your team can read the enemy's minds if you have somebody who's observant enough to call out when a teammate's getting attacked, if the enemies have a straggler or are trying to flank, or if you can identify when an enemy is about to use an ult.

I don't even know for sure if everyone was really that wonderful, but with good team synergy (both between classes and as actual people) you can make up for most differences in actual skill levels. I'm not saying it's some groundbreaking strategy that people just discovered and always successful. But a lot of groups often just need a leader or somebody willing to take the reigns. I would say actual group synergy has more impact than proficiency.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What was the name? Had one last night that raged because someone was playing Bastion and threw the match by shooting orbs near spawn. We somehow lost 2 to 3 with each team having 99% at the end of the final round. Pretty frustrating knowing we likely would have won if he actually tried.

Ran in to them a second time and they stuck with Sym.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I had someone scream at me over mic last night because I played bastion on koth when it was 2/2. He was extremely angry.

we won

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Theta Zero posted:

Not really. I mean, we were limited by our own ranks and that's it.

I'm more of a leader when I'm in groups and so I did things like ask everyone what they were comfortable with and picking more skill-intensive and central classes like Zenyatta, Soldier 76, and so forth while making sure that the team stayed together, was adapting to the enemy, and was aware of what the enemy was doing. Teamwork makes it look like everyone on your team can read the enemy's minds if you have somebody who's observant enough to call out when a teammate's getting attacked, if the enemies have a straggler or are trying to flank, or if you can identify when an enemy is about to use an ult.

I don't even know for sure if everyone was really that wonderful, but with good team synergy (both between classes and as actual people) you can make up for most differences in actual skill levels. I'm not saying it's some groundbreaking strategy that people just discovered and always successful. But a lot of groups often just need a leader or somebody willing to take the reigns. I would say actual group synergy has more impact than proficiency.

Yep, even solo queueing and getting a game where everyone is not using mics, simply calling out stuff like "tracer behind" or "don't trickle in, group" can help.

See Something, Say Something

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I like to spam "my ult is ready" and "Group up" back to back as much as possible when I'm lucio and watch my team go in 1 by 1

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

4/5 matches i played ended in draws in comp yesterday :pwn:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Tokubetsu posted:

Yep, even solo queueing and getting a game where everyone is not using mics, simply calling out stuff like "tracer behind" or "don't trickle in, group" can help.

See Something, Say Something

On the other hand yelling into voice hurts peoples ability to pickup audio items, you can't hear foot steps or gun fire when someone is calling stuff out. It can also be distracting in a hectic firefight.

Calling out movement you see that they can't is always good information. But everyone should already know what they should be doing and where they should be, and if they don't spamming up coms with that information may not help and may distract the people who are doing what they should be doing.

Voice is often a case where less is more, and if more is required you're already lost anyways.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Efexeye posted:

4/5 matches i played ended in draws in comp yesterday :pwn:

I noticed that certain maps/game types where both teams are hopeless trainwrecks tend to end is draws. Neither group as attacker are able to gain enough momentum to get any advantage, so nobody succeeds in taking a point :negative:

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

MysteriousStranger posted:

On the other hand yelling into voice hurts peoples ability to pickup audio items, you can't hear foot steps or gun fire when someone is calling stuff out. It can also be distracting in a hectic firefight.

Calling out movement you see that they can't is always good information. But everyone should already know what they should be doing and where they should be, and if they don't spamming up coms with that information may not help and may distract the people who are doing what they should be doing.

Voice is often a case where less is more, and if more is required you're already lost anyways.

I always appreciate calls of if/where the turret/bastion/sniper is so I can approach accordingly

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I noticed that certain maps/game types where both teams are hopeless trainwrecks tend to end is draws. Neither group as attacker are able to gain enough momentum to get any advantage, so nobody succeeds in taking a point :negative:

i've never seen the cart move on the new map

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

ImPureAwesome posted:

I always appreciate calls of if/where the turret/bastion/sniper is so I can approach accordingly

That's calling out something you can't see, but they can. Which isn't what I was saying. There's a difference between giving people information they don't have, and trying to play field marshal and spamming up everyone's audio.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Draws happen most often by far on 2CP maps. It can be a bit dissatisfying, but it's a whole lot less dissatisfying than asymmetrical Sudden Death was. In season 1, going through three sets on Volskaya and then a final SD round where you only got to play one side was a huge anticlimactic bummer. At a certain point, you're just like "Okay, yeah, both teams can consistently capture both points, it's a wash, let it end".

Draws only really happen on hybrid maps if both teams have trouble capturing point A, which tends to be less and less of an issue as skill rises.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wish there was a more involved training mode designed around the specific character you picked, so you could develop skills with less familiar characters in a 'singleplayer' setting.

Like if McCree's training mode was a carnival shooting gallery that required you to ping the heads of targets that went by, and the targets themselves were moving erratically and at different distances to help your reaction time and aim.

Lucio's might be a scenario where you have 5 bots attacking and moving to various points where you have to decide which aura to be using at the time.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Efexeye posted:

i've never seen the cart move on the new map

Ditto. Played it about 8 times I think? More on defense than attacking, and the initial payload cap/chokepoint is just absolute murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Panfilo posted:

I wish there was a more involved training mode designed around the specific character you picked, so you could develop skills with less familiar characters in a 'singleplayer' setting.

Like if McCree's training mode was a carnival shooting gallery that required you to ping the heads of targets that went by, and the targets themselves were moving erratically and at different distances to help your reaction time and aim.

Lucio's might be a scenario where you have 5 bots attacking and moving to various points where you have to decide which aura to be using at the time.

I would love a short "story" mode like this, just one scenario specifically tailored to train the use of each hero so that everyone is aware of their specific strengths, drawbacks, and how to navigate them.