  • Post
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's a pokemon.

It’s a screencap from the Pokémon anime.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Suffer not an anime to live. :colbert:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

Anime is the answer.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I want to contribute to this conversation!

[posts embarrassing child baby anime cartoon image]

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

There's less tofu strewn around this accident scene than I'd have expected.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's a pokemon.

You say this like it's a good thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is the engine in the cab on that truck? That's gotta be a fatality, right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Is the engine in the cab on that truck? That's gotta be a fatality, right?

On a HiJet at least the engine is under and to the rear of the cab. They're sort of mid engined and you sit on the front end of the intake manifold.

It's like an inline three on its side, similar to a Previa setup but smaller.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Root Bear posted:

And finally: The right rear wheel well of a 2007 Ford Escape 4x4 with a clunking noise in the rear that sure sounded like a loose and/or broken shock mount.

Yup, broken shock mount alright! :psypop:

Not the first time I've seen rust in the wheel wells on one of these, but never this far gone. One of the body shops we recommended quoted somewhere around $3000 to cut out the damaged section and weld in a replacement panel from a donor vehicle. It was a bit of a bummer considering the rest of the truck was pretty clean and straight with just under 100k miles on it. Hooray for the rust belt. :shepicide:

I failed a state inspection on an escape that had this issue. One of those rare times that you realize why a safety inspection can be a good thing.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
One of my folks' UTVs has a knockoff off the Suzuki version (F8B) of one of those little 3-bangers. Runs great when the needle valve isn't stuck closed, keep meaning to get a better carb for it.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 26, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Now that’s a rotary engine.

The pistons themselves rotate at the speed of the propeller.

My favorite bit about the old rotary engines is that they didn't have a throttle. Just full-power the whole time they were running. In order to decrease power and land, pilots would turn the ignition on and off, which is why old WWI planes on landing go "BRAAAAPAPPAPPPAPvrrrrrrrrrrrr.....BRAPAPAAAvvrrrrrrrrrr......VRAPAPPBABPAPAPbrrrrrrrrrrrrr......."

B4Ctom1 posted:

There is a Bwoop sound when Anti Tank Guided Missiles and MANPADS missiles launch too. I doubt it is for the exact same reason.

Shoulder-fired missiles are solid-fueled, so it's not a fuel turbopump, yeah. I can think of three things it might be though:

1) gyroscopic stabilizer spinning up
2) stirling cryo-cooler for an infrared seeker
3) reactant pump for the chemical battery that powers the launcher electronics

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
AIRFRAME PARACHUTES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgfG2DfPB6I

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Sagebrush posted:

My favorite bit about the old rotary engines is that they didn't have a throttle.
They actually did, but since nothing on the engine was automated you had to adjust the fuel/air mixture by hand. That's obviously a really fiddly thing to try to do while also flying an airplane (especially a very primitive and fragile one), so once they were off the ground they used the blip switch instead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully rev. b has a mechanism to sever the chute.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anime Reference posted:

They actually did, but since nothing on the engine was automated you had to adjust the fuel/air mixture by hand. That's obviously a really fiddly thing to try to do while also flying an airplane (especially a very primitive and fragile one), so once they were off the ground they used the blip switch instead.

Adjusting the mixture isn't really a throttle, and most piston-engine planes (including like, every single-engine GA aircraft ever) has a manual mixture knob.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Sagebrush posted:

Shoulder-fired missiles are solid-fueled, so it's not a fuel turbopump, yeah. I can think of three things it might be though:

1) gyroscopic stabilizer spinning up
2) stirling cryo-cooler for an infrared seeker
3) reactant pump for the chemical battery that powers the launcher electronics

could also, depending on the launcher and design, be a kicker charge to send the missile free of the tube and get the launch crew clear of the main engine's thrust cone.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Exit Strategy posted:

could also, depending on the launcher and design, be a kicker charge to send the missile free of the tube and get the launch crew clear of the main engine's thrust cone.

It's basically this. I was told that the squeak heard on some, especially older russian, ATGMs is part of the procedure of a gas generator that expels the missile before the engine starts.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Anime Reference posted:

They actually did, but since nothing on the engine was automated you had to adjust the fuel/air mixture by hand. That's obviously a really fiddly thing to try to do while also flying an airplane (especially a very primitive and fragile one), so once they were off the ground they used the blip switch instead.

Adjusting the mixture is pretty easy to do while flying. Even in a Cherokee with a mixture lever that is has 4 inches of travel and the first 3.5 do basically nothing.

Even fuel injected aircraft still have manual mixture control. Only recently has automatic mixture control become available (Rotax 912 has had it for a while but took until the 912is that it didn't suck.)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Anime Reference posted:

They actually did, but since nothing on the engine was automated you had to adjust the fuel/air mixture by hand. That's obviously a really fiddly thing to try to do while also flying an airplane (especially a very primitive and fragile one), so once they were off the ground they used the blip switch instead.

You lean the mixture until the engine starts to lose power, then you back off a turn. It's not a big deal, actually. I'd rather manually lean my mixture than deal with some PMSing oval office in ATC.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Atmus posted:

Sunday, on the way from Aurora Colorado to Cheyenne Wyoming, two of my injection pump's timing gear bolts decided they had enough of life down home and decided to see what the great wide world had in store for them. One of them made it all the way out and is resting under the filler neck and the wire, the other is trapped between the filler neck and gear housing.

The truck still drove to safety (my aunt's house a mile away) but isn't coming back under its own power in this condition. More pictures in a week or two when I bring it home.

Almost three years later, but I finally got the truck fixed. The big hitch in the whole thing was that whoever had the engine apart put one of the gears on wrong.

(not my engine)

You see the gear pictured? How it goes dot to dot and Y to Y? On mine it was the opposite, so when I replaced the whole injection system it came out 180 degrees out of time. The engine will run in this condition, but smoke a lot and produce no power (seriously, it will need a running start to get over the curb into the driveway). The weather was good enough recently that I lifted the injection pump gear housing enough to disengage the gears and turned the crankshaft one complete turn to put it back in time. That and 6 hours on the charger, it started right up with no smoke.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
that raises more questions than answers.... that middle gear is also for your cam.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I'm guessing they removed the gear when they did a rebuild or whatever and put the gear back on wrong since the alignment stud(s) still fit that way?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
B...but the marks are 180 apart. Shouldn't matter?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
anything can be made to fit if you use the appropriate hammer

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
....its a single key. eh whatever hey it runs! another oilburner in ai :kimchi:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

B...but the marks are 180 apart. Shouldn't matter?

The problem was that the injection gear (up top) had to come off, and when I put it back on, I put it Y to Y like is shown in the picture. Whichever roguish japester had my engine apart in the past didn't care and put it Y to dot, which is fine if and only if everyone else working on the engine is made aware of this. I was not, so essentially installed the injection pump 180 out, causing it to fire near TDC of the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke. This engine (and possibly all diesels?) will run in this condition, but will give any coal-roller something to think about while producing about 1/20 of the rated power.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

....its a single key. eh whatever hey it runs! another oilburner in ai :kimchi:

Waste vegetable oil, since hurricane Katrina ;)

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made

Atmus posted:

Waste vegetable oil, since hurricane Katrina ;)

That's what brought me into the IDI world as well. Don't suppose you're on the Gulf Coast, we could "pool" oil....

"Atmus" posted:

I'm guessing they removed the gear when they did a rebuild or whatever and put the gear back on wrong since the alignment stud(s) still fit that way?

The most common mistake people make is taking the gear cover and pump gear off when servicing the IP on these things. This is why you don't do it that way unless you mark the gear first. Joe Sixpack, i.e. the PO on most IDIs, sees those 2 bolts holding the cover on and figures that's the easy way to swap the IP, and another "gutless smoky IDI" story is born...

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

digger_smolkin posted:

That's what brought me into the IDI world as well. Don't suppose you're on the Gulf Coast, we could "pool" oil....

The most common mistake people make is taking the gear cover and pump gear off when servicing the IP on these things. This is why you don't do it that way unless you mark the gear first. Joe Sixpack, i.e. the PO on most IDIs, sees those 2 bolts holding the cover on and figures that's the easy way to swap the IP, and another "gutless smoky IDI" story is born...

Aurora, Colorado. Glad I'm one step closer to driving this thing as even after giving most of it away for a couple years, I still have around 500 gallons of oil and I'm running out of space.

I can't entirely blame Joe though. One of the nuts holding the IP to the housing always takes me longer than the whole rest of the operation put together. "1/12 turn with one wrench, 1/12 turn with other wrench, repeat until finger loose" sucks when kneeling on the radiator ridges. Matching Y to Y without removing exposing the gears like the picture wasn't as hard as everyone said it would be, but it wasn't as easy as I thought I could make it, either.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
if you need random bits or help or anything lemme know. I'm in CA though. I've a thread for mine on here as well.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Cross-posting from the BMW thread. My lovely E21 that I got for basically free came with a "welded diff." I figured it would explode soon, but not so soon and not in my driveway. I went from doing sweet donuts to spinning one wheel yesterday, so I pulled the diff out and dumped out one of the spider gears and most of the teeth on the driver's side side gear. I already cut some plates out to join the side gears, so tomorrow morning I'll get in there with the die grinder and prep for welding.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I told myself I'd never get a tattoo but you have me questioning that now. I feel like a straight man who's just had his first bi-curious moment must feel.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

I told myself I'd never get a tattoo but you have me questioning that now. I feel like a straight man who's just had his first bi-curious moment must feel.

Sup? :kimchi:

My american vehicle going british:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

I told myself I'd never get a tattoo but you have me questioning that now. I feel like a straight man who's just had his first bi-curious moment must feel.

It's definitely my favorite tattoo. I hold fasteners up to it to size them sometimes.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Posted to a local FB group, but I cant quite place the bike. Ducati something...

DefaultPeanut fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 28, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DefaultPeanut posted:

Posted to a local FB group, but I cant quite place the bike. Ducati something...

15% weight reduction, 4x the price, extra corsa speziale scuderia.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Godholio posted:

What's a pug?

besides an adorable horrible mechanical failure

Drift rocket.

Ever seen one of them try to corner? It's an experience.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Horrible electrical failures: our 240V Horror Fright welder no longer chooches. The owners of the rental property hosed up the garage wiring so there won't be 240 out there till we fix it.

In the mean time, I threw a dryer plug on the end of an 8 gauge welder extension cord and tried to weld on the porch, no dice. My first thought was that maybe similar fuckery was going on in the dryer plug, because I have never plugged a dryer into it. Got the volt meter back out and triple checked both hot legs and the neutral, no problems there. Guess the little garbage welder has cobbled its last project.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4