Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Can't wait for everyone's finger grease smeared on their pictures like an Instagram filter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lmao look at the fuckin fingerprint sensor on that S8 Jesus christ

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The only sense making of that fingerprint sensor position is unlike the lower circle placement that sort of invades on where the battery can be (so it has to be smaller, no NFC, whatever). HTC even commented something similar when some of the insider group wondered why they copied Samsungs front button vs putting it on the back, and if they hadn't the HTC 10's battery would have been smaller. So in Sammys case here, putting it next to the camera uses space that is already dedicated to other things which makes sense, even if it is crappy. If anything let the camera stick out and have the fingerprint sensor be more indented or something. Guess we will see.

Also I think a lot more of the OnePlus hate is more the company than the hardware at this point. It just seems like if a company will release hardware with such software left in this, "fix it later" mentality it seems, what did they skimp on checking on the hardware before sending it out. (Like the OnePlus2 I guess).

Outside of that, it is a wonder that they didn't have the C4 Phones over Samsung but, welp.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Thermopyle posted:

It's not like you're going to wake up one night with the phone raping your face, so I'm not sure what you're expecting to happen that will all of a sudden make you recognize their short comings other than reading the thread and seeing that the specific things people have complained about are in fact things the device or company does or doesn't do.

It's a feature, not a bug!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

grack posted:

It's a feature, not a bug!

*Thought it was just not showing on my end because of the picture title. (work filter or something)

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 7, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

lol who hotlinks images i mean come on

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

New hotness heyoooo

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I can't wait to purchase a phone from Samsung. I'm sure they got it right this time.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
I impulse bought a Huawai Honor 8 this morning to replace the LG G2 I destroyed earlier in the week. I was still pretty happy with the G2 before it shattered into a million pieces on a tile floor, so obviously I don't have high standards for cell phones. That being said, anyone have any personal experience with the Honor 8? I bought it strictly because there was a deal at Newegg today and the reviews I read sounded decent, if not effusive.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Going back to Bluetooth stuff for a bit, I got my first pair of BT headphones for Christmas, and I found I had to adjust the volume down compared to in my car. So, I created a Tasker task that would turn the volume down when the headphones connect and up when they disconnect (they stay at my work desk). Starting the task works great - haven't had my ears blown out yet - but it almost always neglects to return the volume to the car's setting when the headphones disconnect, despite me manually setting an exit task. What could be going wrong?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Buying that galaxy s8 on release.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Is that really micro-USB on the S8??

Edit: nevermind, must be camera distortion/trickery.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Is that really micro-USB on the S8??

Edit: nevermind, must be camera distortion/trickery.

I'm sure it's a proprietary charging standard that uses USB-C for the physical interface and if you use that Samsung charger on anything else, then that device will explode. Also if you use it on the Samsung device it came with then that device will explode but only because it was so poorly engineered.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was walking my dog and I got a bluetooth headphone notication that my connection to the phone has been lost. Pulled the phone out of my pocket and it just had the swirling ring with "erasing" written there. Looks like my phone has been completely erased.

Anyone with experience of this? I assume all my local media and data is lost but is this a thing I can expect regularly now?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Did you have some sort of 'wipe after too many bad unlock attempts' set?

If you did, I can see how you could accidentally butt-wipe your phone.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Looten Plunder posted:

I was walking my dog and I got a bluetooth headphone notication that my connection to the phone has been lost. Pulled the phone out of my pocket and it just had the swirling ring with "erasing" written there. Looks like my phone has been completely erased.

Anyone with experience of this? I assume all my local media and data is lost but is this a thing I can expect regularly now?

I'm assuming you didn't get a "Remote Erase Requested" email from Google in the account attached to the phone?

(Though I suppose if someone did know your password, and did log into your account with intent to wipe your phone, they'd probably delete that email, too.)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Found this on Reddit :allears:

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
That reply makes it sound like the volume button is stuck in the display. Like...torn out and stuck into the front of the phone. Worse than wobbling, I swear.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Samsung's batteries caught their battery plant on fire, you can't make this poo poo up.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/08/samsung-factory-fire/

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 8, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Samsung's batteries caught their battery plant in fire, you can't make this poo poo up.

Lmaooooo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samsung got Samsunged.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

They don't need this publicity. :(

Lets Report it! lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I don't know guys I think this next Galaxy S will be the best one yet! I mean there are just no red flags at all!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EdEddnEddy posted:

They don't need this publicity. :(

Lets Report it! lol

There's no such thing as bad publicity. Just look at who the president is. :smugbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I don't know guys I think this next Galaxy S will be the best one yet! I mean there are just no red flags at all!

A bunch of old batteries they said were bad, that were from a product they recalled because they might catch on fire, caught on fire.

Therefore the new product has red flags? :confused:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

A bunch of old batteries they said were bad, that were from a product they recalled because they might catch on fire, caught on fire.

Therefore the new product has red flags? :confused:

I know right? This is a new product line. Clean slate. None of the company's past mistakes count anymore. I'm sure they got it right this time!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Samsung's batteries caught their battery plant on fire, you can't make this poo poo up.

Holy loving Lol

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

I know right? This is a new product line. Clean slate. None of the company's past mistakes count anymore. I'm sure they got it right this time!

No company is safe from not having some major hiccups, especially one that encompasses many product lines. Hell, even the companies that make strictly phones (OPO :arghfist:) can't do it right.

Edit: I'm not defending Samsung and as crazy as this issue is, phones have been exploding or burning or melting themselves for longer than the Galaxy phone has existed.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 8, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
In the meantime, GoogleLG announced their new watches and holy poo poo is the Sport one huge. It's more than half an inch thick, you guys.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

No company is safe from not having some major hiccups, especially one that encompasses many product lines. Hell, even the companies that make strictly phones (OPO :arghfist:) can't do it right.

Edit: I'm not defending Samsung and as crazy as this issue is, phones have been exploding or burning or melting themselves for longer than the Galaxy phone has existed.

No disagreements here. Samsung has definitely had quality issues in the past, but that has no bearing on future products. Why judge a company by past performance when you have spec sheets?

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

Leap Day William posted:

(...). That being said, anyone have any personal experience with the Honor 8? I bought it strictly because there was a deal at Newegg today and the reviews I read sounded decent, if not effusive.
Yes. Buy a case of some sort, with the slick backside it loves to slide onto/into the floor. Also register your phone in the Huawei-app (Hi-Care), since I think the US also get the 3 month premium warranty that covers a broken screen or back the first time for free within those 3 months. It has the Nougat update if you go into system-update meny and enable it manually (you might already have it though).

Also enjoy the ridiculously fast and accurate finger print scanner,

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i need a new phone and the pixel XLs have been out of stock for months. thanks google, i might jump ship to a cheapo iphone 6/6s until the pixel 2 :f5:

too bad oneplus is awful, i mean the phone looks really nice :smith:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

logikv9 posted:

i need a new phone and the pixel XLs have been out of stock for months. thanks google, i might jump ship to a cheapo iphone 6/6s until the pixel 2 :f5:

If you're happy in the $300-400 range I think the Axon 7 and Honor 8 both have a few fans in the thread.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

logikv9 posted:

If you want an inexpensive new phone for a few months, just pick up a Moto G4. I think the plus version is worth the extra coin due to having a fingerprint scanner and the same camera sensor as the Moto Z Play. Sure, it's plastic, but if you get a case for the thing you'd never know. The FHD 5.5 display is great, and the battery should last you all day. It has no problem switching between a dozen apps, playing music, YouTube...I've enjoyed mine for the last 5-6 months.

Also, new phones from many manufacturers are probably going to be announced at MWC in the next couple weeks. Something may pop up that you absolutely want, so there's nothing wrong with being cheap.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah the g4 is a really nice phone

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

G5 seems on the verge of being released, there's been a lot of leaks in the past week or so.

Can't wait for Moto to start colliding with LG who is already colliding with their own product lines.

Will a search for G6 turn up a Moto phone, an LG phone, or an LG TV? Who knows!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No one searches for TVs like that, so it'll be one of those phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The G series of LG TVs is their Signature Series top of the line OLED models. You would think they wouldn't want any product ambiguity there.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The G series of LG TVs is their Signature Series top of the line OLED models. You would think they wouldn't want any product ambiguity there.

Pontiac also has a G6 so LG better come up with something else.

People don't give attention to televisions like they do for smartphones these days, unless you're talking with spec sheet nerds or people who like their job at Best Buy. Nobody is confusing the two because LG doesn't advertise their televisions like they do their flagship phones (at least not in the US) and the Signature G6 series is really loving expensive even by television standards.

LG G6 estimated price: $800

LG Signature G6 price: $6,000 at entry

Boy I wonder which is which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cage-free egghead posted:

Pontiac also has a G6 so LG better come up with something else.

People don't give attention to televisions like they do for smartphones these days, unless you're talking with spec sheet nerds or people who like their job at Best Buy. Nobody is confusing the two because LG doesn't advertise their televisions like they do their flagship phones (at least not in the US) and the Signature G6 series is really loving expensive even by television standards.

LG G6 estimated price: $800

LG Signature G6 price: $6,000 at entry

Boy I wonder which is which.

Thanks for reminding me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4s6H4ku6ZY