Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think there really needs to be some kind of rule that management needs to work the lower tiers and not just be hired in from somewhere else first. Even a loving month before they move to their hired spot would probably help.

A postmaster at a post office is really just a general manager like at a big box store or grocery store. Postal management all started out as some non-career worker and they all had to either convert to PTF or full-time before they could get their first shot in management as a 204B before they could be a full-time supervisor at their office or another one they had to apply at. There is no such thing as someone's first job as a postal worker in management.

And they're always city letter carriers. Every fuckin one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I don't remember the last time I said in this thread that sometimes things in my store get so over the top ridiculously bad that it makes me laugh but it's half an hour before I leave and I was just told that our cooler fans are busted WHICH MEANS that I have a to empty the whole thing out AND SINCE we don't have room in other departments coolers for our whole inventory I get to try and squeeze it all onto the sales floor. so I have about 6 hours of work to get done as fast as I can and tbh I'm loving pumped and I'm not even being sarcastic lol.

this job is a tragic comedy

e: Oh my loving good I just remembered that since our cooler is going to be out of commission for "a couple days" we'll have to figure out where our load goes tomorrow ahahaha gently caress

e2: fully joker-fied. this is the razor's edge of comedy

e3: Cesar Romero-pilled

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 17, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Customer tried to start poo poo over an app order (loving hate the app) that they said they'd paid for, they hadn't their card was rejected, manager eventually gives them the free poo poo because it's been 10 minutes and people behind them are starting to give up and leave. As soon as they take the drinks holder they drop it and both drinks end up in the car footwell.

I like it when things just work themselves out.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Someone hosed with my poo poo at work. <:mad:>

For this week and the last two I volunteered to move away from my normal comfy job in the corner to train on a different, earlier shift, but I've been keeping tabs on my normal job. Well apparently over last weekend, someone on Back Half (Thurs, Fri, Sat) thought it would be a good idea to 'clean up' the barcodes on the station. Everything at Amazon is done by barcodes, and my role means there's a big, huge sheet with routing barcodes for various destinations. Actually, we have several so we have multiple backups: 2x big ones were everything's on the front side and 2x small ones which had the less used barcodes on the back.

There's also a lot of common destination barcodes printed out and just stuck to the edge of the work station's screen. Yes we all agreed it was a mess but communication between low-level workers on different shifts is kind of hard. So everyone I knew obviously would have loved to clean it up but wasn't going to in case we ruined someone else's thought process.

Well someone "cleaned it up" and it's obvious they had no loving clue what they were doing. They took one of the big sheets, covered up all the barcodes then added their own sticker pile, cramping all the barcodes close together so it's really easy to scan the wrong one. Now if this was all they did, I wouldn't care. They just made their own customized sheet that's poorly organized, has extra barcodes (We normally send some stuff to some departments using a problem-solve routing that has higher priorities. The new sheet includes both those problem solve barcodes and what are supposed to be basic barcodes for the same department just under them...only they got the formatting all wrong), missing some of our shortcut barcodes, etc. Oh and none of them have lamination or at least clear tape covering them, so the barcode stickers are gonna fade and get all ratty and dirty within a month.

Again if that was all they did, I wouldn't care. But here's the kicker: they decided to have their way with the remaining barcode sheets. One of the smalls one is missing. Of the remaining 1x small and 1x large sheets they've removed/covered up or otherwise destroyed several of the original barcodes on them. So now everyone has to use their cramped, unorganized sheet for about 2/3 of our work.

On top of that they loving took down the spill bags. Someone at some point figured out that the plastic bags we put damaged/spilling items in could be mounted up on the "Don't stick your hand in the conveyor" grating next to the station so we had hanging bags ready to go. Got a dripping bottle or a spilling bag of rice? Just slide it into the hanging bag that's waiting for you! Now though gotta root under our desk where that stuff was shoved away without any real organization.

Basically the best description is someone looked at a system that worked and was messy and decided to make one that looked really pretty and inefficient.

If it's not obvious I'm loving livid. I have been and likely will be obnoxious about this to management for a while. I'll also likely make my own, organized, clearly marked barcode sheet that I take to a print shop to have duplicated a dozen times on thick, durable, laminated cardstock or something.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Alkydere posted:

Basically the best description is someone looked at a system that worked and was messy and decided to make one that looked really pretty and inefficient.
I'm very sorry that my mother has come to work for you.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Someone hosed with my poo poo at work. <:mad:>

You know, I just really hate clutter, useful barcode sheet a little off center? Gone. Bags out where they can be seen and easily reached? Gone. Nothing but open tracts of desk space as far as the eye can see. Wouldn't want anyone thinking work gets done here.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
District grocery manager paid us a visit yesterday and was extremely pissed. She wanted to know:

Why there was a pallet of frozen items from last week not worked. (I worked two closing shifts in a row on the days we receive cold items so nobody else bothered with the cold items.)
Why the coolers were blocked by U-boats and pallets. (Grocery straight up doesn't have enough people to push the amount of freight we get in.)
Why the sales floor coolers were empty. (Again I am the only one who works them.),
Why our team lead is only in grocery once a week and working the other departments sales planners/transitions/etc. (Because that is how the store leader wants it.)
Why wasn't there big signs on all the grocery end caps. (Because guests like to tear up the sign holders.)
And generally just why is grocery just a trash fire right now. (Because everybody keeps quitting and other departments keep pulling people from grocery to work them. "Hmm grocery only has one person closing and they need to pull about 300 items in the span of 4 hours with only a tiny 2 tier cart to use. Ship from store had a call out so that grocery closet should go help them instead.")

Also we had two more people quit in protest of the endless remodel we have going.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Bumper Stickup posted:

District grocery manager paid us a visit yesterday and was extremely pissed. She wanted to know:

Why there was a pallet of frozen items from last week not worked. (I worked two closing shifts in a row on the days we receive cold items so nobody else bothered with the cold items.)
Why the coolers were blocked by U-boats and pallets. (Grocery straight up doesn't have enough people to push the amount of freight we get in.)
Why the sales floor coolers were empty. (Again I am the only one who works them.),
Why our team lead is only in grocery once a week and working the other departments sales planners/transitions/etc. (Because that is how the store leader wants it.)
Why wasn't there big signs on all the grocery end caps. (Because guests like to tear up the sign holders.)
And generally just why is grocery just a trash fire right now. (Because everybody keeps quitting and other departments keep pulling people from grocery to work them. "Hmm grocery only has one person closing and they need to pull about 300 items in the span of 4 hours with only a tiny 2 tier cart to use. Ship from store had a call out so that grocery closet should go help them instead.")

Also we had two more people quit in protest of the endless remodel we have going.

I always ignore those people. they're not good enough to be a SM or a DM so they just stalk their districts looking for reasons to throw tantrums and get attention or feel like they're the boss or whatever.

though, of all the reasons I've heard of people quitting in protest, "endless remodel" is a new one. I'm sure it's because it's harder to get work done but still, it's just not something I've heard before

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
More or less we've had a remodel going since February. It's because our store is making room for more drive up orders and in order to accomplish this we have to move everything around. The lounge got and leader offices got moved to the back off the store but in order to accommodate that we had to strip down and move a bunch of back stock aisles. That part was left half finished. So a bunch of departments have been left with less room than they had before to backstock while my department (grocery) has been split in two. One half is on one end of the store while the other is at the other end.

This is being left like this because the scheduled remodel of the cafe has come up and that takes priority over finishing the backroom. (As a side note the paint the remodelers use for the cafe smells like rotting flesh when it's wet so that's pissed off the front end.)

So while that is going the front part of the store is loud 24/7 with the sound of saws and hammers and all sorts of other construction noise which is all the people working near there can hear.

Yesterday we came in to the power cut off from our bay doors so we had to manually open those via pulling them open as opposed to just pressing a button. And because our store leader doesn't want the doors left open we had to pull them open and close them each time we received a vendor. Which takes about 15 minutes each time since the doors were not designed to be opened manually.

It's a giant clusterfuck that doesn't seem to have an end and everyone is just fed up with it.

Edit: Forgot to mention something. In our old break room/lounge we had two fridges for people to put their lunch in. We threw both of them out and bought two new ones. One, however, got "lost" in transit somewhere and we are now left with one. So if you're unfortunate enough to get to work after the fridge is filled with everyone's lunch boxes well it sucks to be you. Can't put them in the walk in coolers because then you might be stealing. No we are not buying another fridge until after the remodel if there's enough money left in the budget.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 20, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So about a month ago my hours were moved from 8-4 to 9-5.

Now when I worked 8-4, I usually would stay until 430, sometimes 5, because we were so busy.

Now I am out of work by 430. So even if I wait for 30 minutes, I'm losing about a half hour a day plus my lunch.

This does not have the merit of making me try to find more work to do. In fact, I try to do less, and don't care if I get late times on deliveries, because gently caress it. I want my hours back to normal.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Bumper Stickup posted:

Edit: Forgot to mention something. In our old break room/lounge we had two fridges for people to put their lunch in. We threw both of them out and bought two new ones. One, however, got "lost" in transit somewhere and we are now left with one.

I'm sure you already know this, but this means either a) only one was ever ordered and they were lying, or b) someone along the chain returned it as damaged and pocketed the refund. If an item gets lost in transit then the transport company is on the hook for the cost and the seller has to refund the price if it can't be found.

Although knowing retail, it's the first option. Gotta save that few hundred bucks for managerial bonuses!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

JackSplater posted:

I'm sure you already know this, but this means either a) only one was ever ordered and they were lying, or b) someone along the chain returned it as damaged and pocketed the refund. If an item gets lost in transit then the transport company is on the hook for the cost and the seller has to refund the price if it can't be found.

Although knowing retail, it's the first option. Gotta save that few hundred bucks for managerial bonuses!

Oh yeah I'm well aware. I just had to vent that one out of my system.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

That vaguely reminds me of when I received a completely empty box from UPS while working retail a few years ago. We received small shipments—usually 3-7 boxes—of various entertainment-related merchandise every day. The UPS delivery loop in our area was pretty intense and we were pretty drat busy, so it was rare we were asked to check and sign off on shipments.

We had a regular delivery guy who was wildly efficient and chill, but he was (deservedly) on vacation that week. Temp guy swung through the store like he was on fire. I didn’t think too much about it, considering how intense that loop can be.

I started processing the shipment like normal, when I picked up a box that felt absurdly light and suspiciously quiet. Before I opened it, I checked the box and tape and it looked fine… but when I popped it open, as suspected, there wasn’t a single drat thing in there. It was a multi-part shipment so I checked in what I could and learned we were missing some D&D books and accessories.

Thank god for the cameras. I knew my team would back me up, but corporate, the merch vendor, and UPS tried to pin me for stealing. Personally, I’d like to know where the hell I hid a stack of books that no one could see and why I’d steal those instead of brand new console games. It was a pain in the rear end trying to explain how I ended up with an empty, undamaged box instead of rejecting it, but it came down to “delivery dude that day was flying so he was gone before I got my hands on anything.”

Never found out what happened with that. We had all sorts of issues and weird poo poo happen with our shipments, but that one stuck with me. I’m extremely lucky that my coworkers were cool, nice people, and my SM advocated for us constantly.

Now that I work Corporate Job, I fantasize about a world where I could either hire everyone I worked with and get them the hell out, and/or open my own store and run it like human beings work there. There’s parts of that job I genuinely enjoyed, but it was dragged down by garbage pay, garbage expectations, aggressive customers, bizarre business decisions, a generally bad business model, and an rear end in a top hat CEO. Customers often commented that working there must be fun (movies and video games!!!) but I mean… you all know what I mean.

I should share more stories. I thought I had, but I probably deleted them after getting worried they’d track me down here somehow.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

broken pixel posted:

Now that I work Corporate Job, I fantasize about a world where I could either hire everyone I worked with and get them the hell out, and/or open my own store and run it like human beings work there. There’s parts of that job I genuinely enjoyed, but it was dragged down by garbage pay, garbage expectations, aggressive customers, bizarre business decisions, a generally bad business model, and an rear end in a top hat CEO. Customers often commented that working there must be fun (movies and video games!!!) but I mean… you all know what I mean.

I should share more stories. I thought I had, but I probably deleted them after getting worried they’d track me down here somehow.

I'm in the same position and have always felt that. Some of the crew I started out in retail with are friends for life.

Dumbest package I ever received I thought was empty. Big box enough to get like a carton of chips or something into. loving loaded with peanuts and packaging. I give it one last look before I bin it and found a pair of fake eyelashes. Someone was definitely loving with me that day.

Deliveries were always cooked. One guy like yours that was mint, but the rest were couriers on a wicked high turnover rate so they'd pull up with their van and just start throwing boxes at you while kicking poo poo around in the back. Pretty regularly you'd get them miss heaps if you didn't count.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

ErKeL posted:

I'm in the same position and have always felt that. Some of the crew I started out in retail with are friends for life.

Dumbest package I ever received I thought was empty. Big box enough to get like a carton of chips or something into. loving loaded with peanuts and packaging. I give it one last look before I bin it and found a pair of fake eyelashes. Someone was definitely loving with me that day.

Deliveries were always cooked. One guy like yours that was mint, but the rest were couriers on a wicked high turnover rate so they'd pull up with their van and just start throwing boxes at you while kicking poo poo around in the back. Pretty regularly you'd get them miss heaps if you didn't count.

I've never bonded with a corporate coworker like I did in retail, that's for sure.

Seems like package delivery jobs are pretty tough, and I noticed the same turnover pattern. You either become efficient enough to keep rolling forever or quit after 2 months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

So about a month ago my hours were moved from 8-4 to 9-5.

Now when I worked 8-4, I usually would stay until 430, sometimes 5, because we were so busy.

Now I am out of work by 430. So even if I wait for 30 minutes, I'm losing about a half hour a day plus my lunch.

This does not have the merit of making me try to find more work to do. In fact, I try to do less, and don't care if I get late times on deliveries, because gently caress it. I want my hours back to normal.

Wait, are you saying that you lose a half hour of pay a day due to the hour shift ?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Wait, are you saying that you lose a half hour of pay a day due to the hour shift ?

Maybe I worded it wrong.

When I worked 8-4, we were slammed and so it was a rare day I didn't leave at 4:30 or later.

Working 9-5, I am done with all my work by about 4:30. Add my lunch to that, and I am losing about an hour a day because boss doesn't want me sitting around for 30 minutes doing nothing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Amazon has started a new initiative, at least at my facility, to reduce excess waste. What is this initiative? Well it's to have the packers to throw any "Ship In Own Container" items that they deem suspicious on the line and not put them in a box. We will now have outbound shipdock evaluate the packages and flag them for being audited on if they really are SIOC-worthy. Therefore we will save an absolutely infinitesimal amount on packaging and shipping putting items that should not be sent as is (but the vendor marked them as okay) in boxes...and pay far more in damages.

I have many names for this initiative!
  • The "Let's flood FedEx, UPS and USPS with random rear end packages with no destination because the thin plastic wrap the shipping label is stuck to gets caught in the machine!" initiative.
  • The "Oh hey, another container of soap or glue or oil burst open on the line and is leaking everywhere!" initiative
  • The "Listen to those unsecured chains and hoses rattle down the lines!" initiative
  • The "Oh hey, that was glass!" initiative
  • The "Look who's getting a new graphics card!" initiative
Technically the packers are only supposed to just ship poo poo in plastic bags (Ship In Own Bag/SIOB) or with plastic shrinkwrap. However if you tell them to stop looking at one aspect of SIOC they'll go "Oh so any and all SIOC is good? Got it!" and throw literally anything on the conveyor belt. :cripes:

Officially the only things problem solvers are allowed to pull off the lines are round items that will get lost on the sorter because they roll. Stuff like overstuffed boxes full of pillows/blankets and such.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 23, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Boss emailed out a special email to 6 of us drivers, asking in a roundabout way why we are having so many lates when we haven't before. Now, not counting the fact two drivers left recently, or the fact our dispatch software is poo poo, I replied that I now work 9-5, when my hours before were 8-4, and most pickup windows for our orders as 8-noon. So I lose an hour on every order due by noon every day.

Then there are exception orders that are due by 9:30 or 10, and while I scramble to get those, the noon ones go late, so the 1pm ones go late, so the 2:30pm ones go late, etc.

Vague threats about moving people's start locations or shifts is always a good way to keep us on our toes.

And right after that she emailed the lot of us, reminding us that waiting an extra minute or two at a stop adds up, and if we all tighten our belts with that, and get right back on the road, we can save 2000 minutes a month!

Because gently caress getting a drink or snack or decompressing after loading 200 pounds of tires! GO GO GO GO GO.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Managers thinking they're hot poo poo by telling their team to do stuff a little faster is a pet peeve. Like mate I'm not just loving around.

Years ago I had an ASM cut my entire team's shifts. "Anything you can do in 5 hours can be done in 4:30"
Luckily I didn't have to prove it didn't work that way as I went over his head and the SM told me to ignore the roster for that week and just keep doing the usual.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Our management team decided that the minimum number of trailers each employee should be emptying in a shift is 6. This is very near impossible for day shift, because every trailer we see is a full load of (usually) double or triple stacked freight. It's not uncommon for certain trailer types to take over 6 hours to do by themselves. And that's not counting having to get any of the paperwork fixed because none of the other terminals care if it's done right. Night shift can do it because half of their trailers are city pickups with 3 orders in them.

When my supervisor told me that I laughed in his face and told him that was never going to happen. I told the terminal manager the same thing. And as far as I can tell other than repeating that "all dockworkers must strip at least 6 trailers a day" I haven't seen anything actually done regarding it. And they've been saying it for nearly a year.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Typical management delusional "If I keep repeating a thing, eventually it will become true!" bullshit.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Learn how to trim up to 40 workhours a week per employee by pissing them off until they quit! Workers hate it!

Honestly any time I get unreasonable demands I just start laughing. Nah, poo poo will get done when it gets done. Rate will be what it is. And the most I'll do to police phone usage is warn people they're not being nearly as clever as they think they are.

Anyways at my Amazon FC there's some Drama going on in Learning. So apparently a pair of Ambassadors from another shift got their day ones, took them to their assigned area...then just walked away and left them. Never interacted with the new hires the rest of the day, hosed off and did no work besides filling out their paperwork. Oh and their area of responsibility? Inbound Dock: both of the docks are absolutely festooned with cameras so them just loving off was clearly recorded from multiple angles.

It's apparently pissed off management enough that the Learning Trainers had to go around to all of us Ambassadors and give us a quick "We know you're not that stupid, but if you ever think to be know it will cost your vests (i.e. your status) and likely your job." talk.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Unless it actually did cost the newbie-abandoning people their vests/jobs, that's also getting filed under More Hot Air.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Does the name of the company who administers this have the word 'propaganda' worked into it in a clever fashion?

Edit: After a thorough exit interview, we determined it was the lack of ping pong during lunch that caused them to seek other employment

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I clock in and open up my register with 75 bucks in it. Very first person that drives thru orders 6 dollars worth of stuff and wants to pay in a hundred.

I LITERALLY do not have enough change to give you.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I clock in and open up my register with 75 bucks in it. Very first person that drives thru orders 6 dollars worth of stuff and wants to pay in a hundred.

I loving hate that. Don't break your goddamn change at my register with an order under fifty bucks. You're gonna end up waiting too, because I'm gonna take my time scanning that bill, checking the watermark and then paging the manager for confirmation.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I delight in giving customers who are clearly just trying to get smaller notes a load of coins, because often when everyone's paying for small orders with £10 notes we're going to end up without any £5s so no that 99p coffee you're using a £20 for is coming back with a £10 and nine pound coins.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Leal posted:

Motherfuckers on Sunday morning at Dollar Tree rolling in at 8:00 when the store opens, watch me put my till in, and try to buy a $1.06 paper with a hundo and get lovely with me. :fuckoff:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I remember going to Costco one morning and buying like $80 worth of poo poo. When I gave the cashier a 100 bill, she rolled her eyes, and started sniping to her packer/attendant about how she KNEW it was gonna be one of those days, and why do people always use huge bills, the first customer of the day always pays with a hundred, and on and on.

I don't need a loving bootlicker to suck me off when a cashier is ringing me up, but I swear the Costco employees are every bit the Karens as the Karens are.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Americans may enjoy this thread of people bitching that pretty much all shops in 2022 will tell them to gently caress off if they try to hand over a £50 note, ($62 and the highest you might occasionally see in the wild) "but it's legal tender! they have to accept it!" nope.

"In addition, shops are not obliged to accept legal tender. If you hand over a £50 note to pay for a banana in your local grocery store, the staff are within their rights to choose not to accept it. 'Likewise for all other banknotes – it's a matter of discretion. '"

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-4749554/Can-shops-legally-refuse-50-notes.html

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My work we always accept a £50 assuming we have the change for it, but it has to go through the full run of forgery checks by a manager, so you could end up waiting several minutes if you try using one during a busy period. It's fun seeing how many people apologise for having to use a £50 when they hand it over but suddenly don't need to use it when they're told it needs to be checked by a manager.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Even if they ordered exactly 25 dollars worth of stuff for their hundred, its going to be 75 bucks in change where like 30 of it will be fives, 20 will be ones and the rest will be an assortment of quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies. And then I wont be able to give ANY change for the rest of the shift with my single one hundred dollar bill in the register.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

njsykora posted:

My work we always accept a £50 assuming we have the change for it, but it has to go through the full run of forgery checks by a manager, so you could end up waiting several minutes if you try using one during a busy period. It's fun seeing how many people apologise for having to use a £50 when they hand it over but suddenly don't need to use it when they're told it needs to be checked by a manager.

Also being a store in England/Wales, and being given a £100 Scottish/N. Irish note. The banking system wouldn't even accept them on there so you had to pretend they were two £50 notes until you could go to the bank to swap them for something else.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

who even walks around with a hundred in cash!? it's called a debit card, folks!!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Rainbow Knight posted:

who even walks around with a hundred in cash!? it's called a debit card, folks!!

Rich people who want to be ostentatious about it, and newlyweds/children who got a gift from grandma or whatever.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rainbow Knight posted:

More than you realize do.

I don't really give a poo poo if people prefer to pay primarily in cash, electronically, or even checks. Checks are only annoying if the person writing them is slow as gently caress about it. Listening or reading thirty-something millennials gripe about cash or cursive makes my eyes roll out of my head.

Now, people born and raised in the US that don't know how to fill out an envelope--that poo poo struck a nerve. If some sixteen-year-old asked me how to do it, I would tell them how to do it without any issue. It's when they kept coming back asking if it was right after every single line or they got it completely backwards was when I was annoyed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In the UK at least if you have a bank account, you have a debit card. I understand people not having them more in America because that country is so behind everyone else in payment tech that I've seen some Americans say contactless payment is a poor tax since they had no idea you could just get a contactless debit card as standard other places and thought it was entirely a smartphone thing.

That said, people are starting to come through work with money held in their loving underwear again. I had 2 customers last week literally pull money out of their loving crotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve never had crotch money offered to me thankfully. Occasionally I get bra money; I make
The customer wipe it down with hand sanitizer before handing it to me.