Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nition posted:

More proof that "1080p" is dumb and 16:10 monitors are superior. :smug:

1600x1200 is 4:3 though, although a 1920x1200 monitor could do the same thing with some black bars at the sides.
[/quote]

That was the point. My 1920×1200 display can also display 1600×1200 windowboxed. A 1080p monitor cannot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Yeah, so we're both actually saying the same thing. i.e. 1920x1200 (16:10) can contain 1600x1200 (4:3) within it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I ended up buying a 1600x1200 LCD for my Windows 98 machine since it turns out that modern widescreen LCDs have a lot of trouble displaying resolutions smaller than 640x480 in 4:3 mode. 4:3 LCDs are somewhat rare; most of the square-ish ones are 5:4.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
My screens are 4:3 and 1600x1200 - Samsung SyncMaster 204B. They're getting pretty old now though. 4:3 LCDs were pretty common in the mid-2000s but they've really all gone now, and 5:4 1280x1024 screens are just horrible.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Casimir Radon posted:

Blood's zombie enemies are annoying, not good when they're the most used enemies in the game. Ammo is few and far between for anything that makes short work of the zombies, so you're better off saving it for more powerful enemies. Also Blood's voice acting is loving silly.

Why would you use anything other than a pitchfork on the zombies? :raise:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

laserghost posted:

At least no one tries to defend Redneck Rampage. Well, the soundtrack was really good.

Well I still think the basic idea behind RR is good(but then I think Squidbillies is one of the most hilarious shows ever), a reboot could be amazing if done by the right people(like say Devolver)

Also speaking of Shadow Warrior, rented the reboot from Gamefly recently and it's been pretty good, although the "special" enemies aren't fun to fight at all due to being obnoxious bullet sponges(still stuck on that fight where you encounter two of those enemies that only take damage from behind)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

laserghost posted:

At least no one tries to defend Redneck Rampage. Well, the soundtrack was really good.
Also graphically it was loving amazing for a BUILD engine game. The pre-rendered enemies weren't too hot but the actual visuals and atmosphere of the levels were really good...pre-baked lighting was a great idea that really payed off. Unfortunately the levels were also mazes, keys had a ridiculously small and tiny black sprite and doors didn't tell you what kind of key you needed. Quake 2 being released that same year didn't do it any favours either (you could say the same for all of the later build engine titles) All of the guns were really clunk and like every other of Xatrix's titles the difficulty level was really inconsistent and filled with accurate hitscanners (Kingpin and RTCW had the same problem - incidentally Kingpin also looked really amazing for the time apart from the jello models)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm gonna gitcha boy! I'M GONNA GITCHA!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

I ended up buying a 1600x1200 LCD for my Windows 98 machine since it turns out that modern widescreen LCDs have a lot of trouble displaying resolutions smaller than 640x480 in 4:3 mode. 4:3 LCDs are somewhat rare; most of the square-ish ones are 5:4.

What model is that? I have a really nice 1280 x 1024 IBM LCD that I got for 8 bucks, but it'd be nice to have a UXGA monitor

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I have a 1600x1200 Dell LCD from, like, 2003 that I still use as a secondary monitor because I like it in portrait mode. 10:16 kinda sucks and 9:16 is abominable. When that monitor finally dies I don't know what I will do.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Is there any way to fix that? Other than just going for the 4th difficulty and reload so it becomes the... 2nd? I always played in normal mode wich gets untouched from what I know, still, really hosed up.

Wait, what?

Fuuuuuck.

I'm a constant quick save and reload fiend. No idea that playing on normal nullified the problem.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jblade posted:

Also graphically it was loving amazing for a BUILD engine game. The pre-rendered enemies weren't too hot but the actual visuals and atmosphere of the levels were really good...pre-baked lighting was a great idea that really payed off. Unfortunately the levels were also mazes, keys had a ridiculously small and tiny black sprite and doors didn't tell you what kind of key you needed. Quake 2 being released that same year didn't do it any favours either (you could say the same for all of the later build engine titles) All of the guns were really clunk and like every other of Xatrix's titles the difficulty level was really inconsistent and filled with accurate hitscanners (Kingpin and RTCW had the same problem - incidentally Kingpin also looked really amazing for the time apart from the jello models)

What does pre-baked lighting mean in this context? TELL ME DELICIOUS TECHNICAL DETAILS.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Wait, what?

Fuuuuuck.

I'm a constant quick save and reload fiend. No idea that playing on normal nullified the problem.

There's a post on this thread with how difficulties flip up and if I'm not mistaken, on GOG aswell. There are five diffculties (like in doom) so from 1 to 5, the easiest becomes the hardest once you reload a save.

There you go: http://www.gog.com/forum/blood_series/difficulty_setting_changes_when_loading_save_files/page1

quote:

I did some testing and here are the numbers.

The zombie will hit you for (the number in brackets is after the load game):
11 hp (36 hp) - Still Kicking
15 hp (27 hp) - Pink On The Inside
18 hp (18 hp) - Lightly Broiled
22 hp (22 hp) - Well Done
26 hp (12 hp) - Extra Crispy

As you can see, this bug doesn't affect third and fourth difficulty setting. You get the least damage on Extra Crispy and most on Still Kicking. Extra Crispy and Well Done have additional enemies so the hardest difficulties are Still Kicking and Well Done.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Arivia posted:

What does pre-baked lighting mean in this context? TELL ME DELICIOUS TECHNICAL DETAILS.

It means they drew lighting on the textures instead of actual dynamic lighting.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jblade posted:

incidentally Kingpin also looked really amazing for the time apart from the jello models

It reminded me of the kid at the beginning of the X Files movie who gets alien bugs under his skin or something. It was a pretty unnerving effect.

Also, Kingpin loving really had a gently caress of a lot of loving swearing, I can't remember if it seemed ridiculous at the time but man it is hilarious to play in 2016. It's like Bulletstorm levels of profanity but without being intentionally stupid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

It reminded me of the kid at the beginning of the X Files movie who gets alien bugs under his skin or something. It was a pretty unnerving effect.

Also, Kingpin loving really had a gently caress of a lot of loving swearing, I can't remember if it seemed ridiculous at the time but man it is hilarious to play in 2016. It's like Bulletstorm levels of profanity but without being intentionally stupid.

I remember a lot of the marketing for that game being based around swearing, weapon damage effects, and cypress hill.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

laserghost posted:

I like Redneck Rampage decently enough! It's not "one of the greatest FPS of all time" tier like Duke and Blood, but it takes a solid third place for me.

(Shadow Warrior, race issues aside, is way the gently caress too hard even compared to Duke, which is not an easy game to begin with.)

e: honestly it's kind of a running theme with Build games that they're all way harder than they reasonably should be, but it's particularly egregious with Shadow Warrior.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 31, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

site posted:

I remember a lot of the marketing for that game being based around swearing, weapon damage effects, and cypress hill.

And apparently sending some people bloodied envelopes with photo of shot dude, laying on floor (in-game screenshot), cd with demo version and words "you will be next".

Actually Kingpin had some cool stuff, like employing helpers from the street, item shops and money, and very light squad management - some folks were better as tanks, while others could lock pick safes. Too bad the latter levels are very bare and simple. Fun, underdog game.

I always thought the trapezoid heads everyone has look completely ridiculous, though.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I like Redneck Rampage decently enough! It's not "one of the greatest FPS of all time" tier like Duke and Blood, but it takes a solid third place for me.

(Shadow Warrior, race issues aside, is way the gently caress too hard even compared to Duke, which is not an easy game to begin with.)

e: honestly it's kind of a running theme with Build games that they're all way harder than they reasonably should be, but it's particularly egregious with Shadow Warrior.

JBlade really well explained where RR went wrong, and I'mostly bitter because I really hoped for, well, something as good as SW or Blood. The stupid "drunk" mechanic and absolutely useless weapons, with confusing level design absolutely killed my enthusiasm. Oh, and identical keys to non-signed doors, gently caress that.

SW is really about slowly moving forward and using grenade launcher all the time, with riot gun reserved for single ninjas. Still shadow ninjas can and will wreck your poo poo, lizard warriors can also be troubling. I think SW has some really imaginative levels (Wanton Destruction is okay but mostly reuses original's ideas and Twin Dragon is mediocre to bad).

Blood is all about firepower, your weapons are deadly as it gets, but enemies also have them. Also lack of medkits and brutal explosions damage. You can easily deal with 2-3 enemies in Duke3D or SW, in Blood three cultists in the same room need some serious strategy.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 31, 2016

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Didn't see it mentioned anytime in the past few days, but the final(?) version of Strange Aeons was released a couple days back, followed by a couple of patch updates.

4-episode partial conversion based loosely on The Dream-Quest Of Unknown Kadath. Pretty arcadey but with some near horror elements. Wants Ultimate Doom, although it seems to mostly use its own textures and sprites so you could theoretically use Freedoom if you don't have the first game?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Convex posted:

This makes me reminisce about Scorched Earth, the first videogame I'd ever played with R-rated swearing in it :allears:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I've never liked a Build game I've played, though Duke 3D is ok enough for like 6 maps.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Does Sunlust have a known incompatibility with ZDoom or require some compatibility flags to be set? I'm having trouble with this spot in Map06 (Neo Gerouru):

I watched a video playthrough and some stairs raised up to allow access to the ledge behind the crosshairs as soon as the monsters (shown dead) were released from their closets.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh yeah, something of note regarding Strange Aeons: Ultra-Violence difficulty is pretty rough, but the enemy placement is almost entirely different on Hurt Me Plenty. Far more human enemies, less demons, and as such you end up with a lot more ammo to play around with.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

loga mira posted:

Retroarch includes Dosbox and has a bunch of advanced CRT shaders, like screen distortion and color bleed. You can edit the shaders for a more subtle look. I vaguely remember not being able to get Dosbox to work right within Retroarch, but that was two or thee years ago.

There's also a prboom core.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Elliotw2 posted:

I've never liked a Build game I've played, though Duke 3D is ok enough for like 6 maps.

Have you tried any user maps? It's second only to Doom in having a really impressive amount of great user maps to check out. And personally I like the selection of user maps even more than Doom/Doom II's. Plus it has a convenient steam workshop.

A few to try are Mean Streets, Groovy Street, CrucialConflict3, restlessresort, and Warz.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 31, 2016

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fishmech posted:

What model is that? I have a really nice 1280 x 1024 IBM LCD that I got for 8 bucks, but it'd be nice to have a UXGA monitor

Dell 2007FPb is the one I have. I got it off an Amazon seller for $50 after striking out on eBay.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The secret behind SW is to use explosives as much as possible. Hitscan enemies can't hit you if they're gibbed before they can get a shot off. :unsmigghh:

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Lork posted:

Does Sunlust have a known incompatibility with ZDoom or require some compatibility flags to be set? I'm having trouble with this spot in Map06 (Neo Gerouru):

I watched a video playthrough and some stairs raised up to allow access to the ledge behind the crosshairs as soon as the monsters (shown dead) were released from their closets.
I bypassed it with noclip and now map09 just embeds you in the floor as soon as you hit the switch in the starting room. I guess Sunlust is only playable with PRBoom? Weird that I haven't seen any mention of this anywhere.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Lork posted:

I bypassed it with noclip and now map09 just embeds you in the floor as soon as you hit the switch in the starting room. I guess Sunlust is only playable with PRBoom? Weird that I haven't seen any mention of this anywhere.

I just finished Sunlust thirty minutes ago with GZDoom. I'd recommend using that.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That's dumb. If something breaks in ZDoom it will certainly also break in GZDoom, and there are rendering tricks that will gently caress up GZDoom that ZDoom, as a software renderer, takes in stride.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Probably the better thing to do is to update your g/zdoom and maybe force some compatibility flags to boom/strict if it's still giving you troubles.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
My GZDoom (that's what I've been using, just said ZDoom as a catchall) is from a couple days ago and Boom (Strict) was the first thing I tried, which didn't work. This is bizarre.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Lork posted:

I played it all in ZDoom using boom (strict) combat and had no problems beyond the fact that it is Sunlust and wants to swallow your soul

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
OK I just updated GZDoom and it's fixed. Must've been some weird bug that was introduced into one of the SVN builds and then fixed a day later. Carry on.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

closeted republican posted:

The secret behind SW pretty much every good BUILD game ever made is to use explosives as much as possible. Hitscan enemies can't hit you if they're gibbed before they can get a shot off. :unsmigghh:
ftfy

Seriously, maybe it's just 3D Realms being 3D Realms, but it feels like every BUILD Engine game of note had a heavy focus on explosives and blowing poo poo up, whether it be enemies or level geometry. Don't consider this a complaint, though, that poo poo is satisfying. I kind of wish there was a ZDoom mod that used explosives half as well.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I thought this was pretty neat:

Most interested parties are probably familiar with the source of Doom's SKY1 texture:

But this is the first I've seen of Doom's Sky3 and Doom II's RSKY1 and RSKY2 sources:

There's even more fun texture sleuthing at the link.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Why would you use anything other than a pitchfork on the zombies? :raise:
Yeah, because that's fun for more than 5 minutes.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

closeted republican posted:

The secret behind SW is to use explosives as much as possible. Hitscan enemies can't hit you if they're gibbed before they can get a shot off. :unsmigghh:
The secret to using explosives as much as possible is knowing where and how to use the katana.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Alehkhs posted:

I thought this was pretty neat:

Most interested parties are probably familiar with the source of Doom's SKY1 texture:

But this is the first I've seen of Doom's Sky3 and Doom II's RSKY1 and RSKY2 sources:

There's even more fun texture sleuthing at the link.

Wow, that's actually really interesting. I love when stuff like this comes up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Artwork_of_Doom cool stuff here. the pinky demon being drawn over some digitised photos of jurassic park toy amuses me