Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So that DLC whip weapon and the washing pole result in me being hit from ungodly distances without the weapons physically hitting me. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Infused weapons still deal physical damage which might be what you're seeing. You're still being gimped since half of your weapons damage output is getting negated. I can confirm that he's resistant to lightning; both my sunlight spears did gently caress all damage.

Haven't got around to cave of the dead yet so I should probably fix that. Where the gently caress is it anyways, is it that locked door off to the side when you first enter the temple?

Great Lighting Spear didn't do much of anything to him either. Soul Spear did more than it at 150 damage a pop, which was pretty ineffectual in its own way.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

RBA Starblade posted:

Great Lighting Spear didn't do much of anything to him either. Soul Spear did more than it at 150 damage a pop, which was pretty ineffectual in its own way.

Did you have summons with you? I think each phantom you have increases the bosses damage resistance/lowers your damage output by a certain amount.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I think he's weakest to magic, but he's resistant to everything. The first time I fought him I threw a great chaos fireball at him and did 17 damage so I know he's not weak to fire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Did you have summons with you? I think each phantom you have increases the bosses damage resistance/lowers your damage output by a certain amount.

Yeah I was one of two phantoms.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Overbite posted:

I'm convinced I can't beat the DLC because my level is too low or I don't have any good spells. I'm at the lady boss and I can go through every one of my greater soul spears and regular soul spears and homing missiles and barely get her down to half health. Even going in melee (which I didn't really spec for because my first character was all melee and I wanted something different) doesn't do anything to her. I guess I need to finish the rest of the regular game before I can do the DLC.

The issue is you're using magic. Pretty much all of the DLC enemies are fairly resistant to magic, especially magic and dark elements. You can do fine with an elemental weapon, but it has to be buffed and you're still better off with a physical one.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Meatsicle posted:

Are any of you using metacap? If so, what's your experience with it? I was thinking of double dipping and buying the game on PC if this mod is creating a better PvP community. I seriously loving hate soul memory.

Pretty much no one is using it, from what I can tell.

It works as advertised, it's just not really useful because your SM would be double what it would be if you minmaxed. Plus, it's technically cheating, which ruffles the feathers of some of the really anal in the PVP community.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 27, 2014

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Genocyber posted:

The issue is you're using magic. Pretty much all of the DLC enemies are fairly resistant to magic, especially magic and dark elements. You can do fine with an elemental weapon, but it has to be buffed and you're still better off with a physical one.

Even if the DLC enemies are resistant to elements, I was still doing better with infused weapons vs uninfused ones. My 511 AR lightning heide spear did better than my raw bluemoon greatsword at 400 something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's because resistant =/= immune. Even if an enemy is resistant to a type of damage, you'll still do more damage with your normal AR plus the elemental AR than with just the former.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eurgh, very glad there's no 'proper' reward for defeating the Ancient Dragon. I understand why so many people complain about him - I'm not struggling to deal any damage, it's just that a single mistake kills me even if I survive the first block of damage. I get knocked on the floor for so long my invincibility frames run out and I get crushed when he lands, or kicks up dust.

e; just discovered the Gower's Ring cheese method. Lets give that a shot.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 27, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will never understand why they didn't have the Ancient Dragon drop the Ancient Dragon Soul. The whole thing with the suspended dragon in Freja's lair is cool and all but I feel like there should be at least some substantial reward for killing the most deadly boss in the whole game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

CJacobs posted:

I will never understand why they didn't have the Ancient Dragon drop the Ancient Dragon Soul. The whole thing with the suspended dragon in Freja's lair is cool and all but I feel like there should be at least some substantial reward for killing the most deadly boss in the whole game.

I feel like it is supposed to be a big lore reveal. The mighty beast is not a dragon, but a giant. It shows just how hosed up Aldia was when it came to experiments, and how dragons are truly gone.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The whole point is he's not a boss you need to fight at all. He is 100% fine with giving you the ashen mist heart and leaving you alone and there is no exclusive benefit to killing him whatsoever. The only reason to kill him is because you're an rear end in a top hat and to say you did.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is true. I still would have liked for him to have dropped his own soul because that makes sense.

edit: I mean it's not literally his soul because I guess he doesn't really have one, but an Ancient Dragon soul.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If they did not want us to kill it they should not have put it in the game. :colbert:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

If they did not want us to kill it they should not have put it in the game. :colbert:

You can kill him if you want I didn't say you couldn't!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Now I am the Sunken King. The Llewllyn Armor plus the Flower Skirt makes this really great Professional Businesswoman look. I am here to levy taxes and bear curses, and I'm all out of taxes. Also, the Ashen Mist Heart use at the Undead Crypt is really cool. I wasn't expecting Vendrick to be so chill. Probably super depressed and going hollow, but at least he wasn't naked. Also I'm saying it here first: Jester Thomas is Vendrick. He will either invade you, be summonable, or appear as an NPC arbiter spirit in the other two DLCs.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

The whole point is he's not a boss you need to fight at all. He is 100% fine with giving you the ashen mist heart and leaving you alone and there is no exclusive benefit to killing him whatsoever. The only reason to kill him is because you're an rear end in a top hat and to say you did.

Karma for all the people who killed poor Priscilla.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

argondamn posted:

Karma for all the people who killed poor Priscilla.

See, she DID drop unique stuff, so anyone who didn't kill her was dumb as a stump.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bef posted:

So how's the DLC?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How large of an area does Promised Walk of Peace affect? Would it be good for using at the Iron Keep when the other guy's on the other side of the bridge?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

See, she DID drop unique stuff, so anyone who didn't kill her was dumb as a stump.

kill all furries

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, I'm officially An Ancient Dragon Slayer. Gower's Ring didn't seem to protect me, but I kept diving between his back legs and wore him down that way. Every single boss is dead, I can now move onto NG+ with a feeling of contentment.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Alright, I'm officially An Ancient Dragon Slayer. Gower's Ring didn't seem to protect me, but I kept diving between his back legs and wore him down that way. Every single boss is dead, I can now move onto NG+ with a feeling of contentment.

Gower's Ring only provides damage reduction since the latest patch. It;s still fairly high but that doesn't matter to A.D. since he does all the damage.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Didn't Gowers ring get nerfed a patch or 2 ago where it doesn't completely block back attack damage?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ooooh, right. The info I'm reading must have been out of date then! I have enough protection to survive the tail end(:haw:) of his fire attack and stomp dust, but anything more accurate than that killed me.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I wonder how that elemental invulnerable setup would do against the Ancient Dragon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Genocyber posted:

kill all furries

I mspainted a flowchart:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a Hexer. Got to the shrine with the homing priest thingies, ended up completing it by sniping with a bow. And I get the feeling that using a blackbow I picked up would deal much more damage at this point.

Do I need to go 40/40 for my Hexes to go supernova?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

argondamn posted:

You know that doesn't make sense. Are you FriendOfManatee by any chance?

I don't know who that is, so no. But nah it makes sense just fine, you can do plenty of damage with a lightning infused weapon/Sunlight Blade. The Lightning Spear miracles are just bad for damage now, period. Unless the enemy is specifically weak to lightning they are completely useless.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tae posted:

Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a Hexer. Got to the shrine with the homing priest thingies, ended up completing it by sniping with a bow. And I get the feeling that using a blackbow I picked up would deal much more damage at this point.

I think just as the game balance stands, none of the types of magic available will be able to carry you through an area anymore. Everything that does decent damage has extremely few casts, and everything that has plenty of casts doesn't do great damage.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't know who that is, so no. But nah it makes sense just fine, you can do plenty of damage with a lightning infused weapon/Sunlight Blade. The Lightning Spear miracles are just bad for damage now, period. Unless the enemy is specifically weak to lightning they are completely useless.

Lightning spear does the same kind of damage as your weapon does, your weapon just happens to also have physical damage in addition to lightning damage.

Lightning spear got nerfed, but it didn't get nerfed to where it only does 30 damage on bosses. That's a boss being resistant to lightning damage.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So yeah, Things Betwixt is quite an experience on NG+. :stare:

I assume item placement, etc, is all the same and it's just monsters/boss loot that has been altered?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

argondamn posted:

Lightning spear does the same kind of damage as your weapon does, your weapon just happens to also have physical damage in addition to lightning damage.

Lightning spear got nerfed, but it didn't get nerfed to where it only does 30 damage on bosses. That's a boss being resistant to lightning damage.

It does 20 damage to Lost Sinner with the same set up it was doing ~200 prepatch for me. Sunlight Blade also adds over 100 damage to my hits on Sihn.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

30/30 is where you hit diminishing returns with Dark Bonus.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

poptart_fairy posted:

So yeah, Things Betwixt is quite an experience on NG+. :stare:

I assume item placement, etc, is all the same and it's just monsters/boss loot that has been altered?

Item placement is the same but you might find different loot in NG+

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I was thinking the DLC was way, way too hard with my only endgame character that wasn't on NG+, which was a sorceress. Trying again with a more physical character and despite being 20-30 soul levels lighter the whole area is much, much easier. From has nerfed all magical damage into the ground, it seems like.

Tae posted:

When I tried a hexer I was left supremely unimpressed. +10 and dark infused and the damage is okay, but not spectacular. Other people seem to be hexing people into loving oblivion, I don't get it. Actually, with few exceptions (and now that lightning spear is nerfed into the ground) a decent bow and elemental arrows will take you as far, if not farther. The bow has decent damage output and can be manually aimed right out of the box. with all the disparate magic types and very few weaknesses why bother? Especially now, sheesh.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ Hexing used to be really good, before all the Resonant/Great Resonant nerfs. Now, I guess you could try Dark Orb? That's the hexer's bread-and-butter.

The cleric summon for the Slumbering Dragon just shows how terribly Lightning's been gimped with the patches. She seems to have infinite Sunlight Spears, but her throws do less to Sinh's health bar than my +10 Longbow with Magic Arrows.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Bogart posted:

^^ Hexing used to be really good, before all the Resonant/Great Resonant nerfs. Now, I guess you could try Dark Orb? That's the hexer's bread-and-butter.

The cleric summon for the Slumbering Dragon just shows how terribly Lightning's been gimped with the patches. She seems to have infinite Sunlight Spears, but her throws do less to Sinh's health bar than my +10 Longbow with Magic Arrows.

Lightning spear damage didn't get nerfed, in fact I think it got boosted a bit to compensate for the lower number of casts. Sinh's just resistant to lightning, and has a big health bar to boot.

I think they put her there on purpose, just to clue people into the fact that spamming Sunlight Spear from the fog door while your summons kite the boss wont work this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Increasing the lightning resistance of a ton of enemies is basically a nerf, along with the lost casts. If you're going to strip that much utility out of the spell, why even keep it in the game? Considering the investment in faith you have to have to use even the lowest form of it, it's much more economical and practical to just own a really good bow. This isn't even taking into consideration something like a +10 lightning infused kajigger, which requires finding all the stuff to make something +10 and then get access to MacDuff, then bring him the dull ember, then find a boltstone (which, oddly enough, is the easy part). With the bow, you just stop at the +10 part. Given, elemental arrows are tougher to come by, but it doesn't really matter because physical damage is almost always best anyway. Also you can carry an obscene amount of ammunition and the animations are faster. You can still infuse the bow and grab the corresponding arrows if you so choose.

Really, it just seems like a weird design choice. I guess it doesn't really make magic or faith based runs less viable, just a lot less fun.

Fake edit: I now remember that my sorceress was annihilating everything when I was back in the vanilla content. So ... the bow, OR magic, I guess.