Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.

Buglord
HEY FOXXTROT PLAY YOUR STARTING TILE

...actually, getting bottom liner and foxxtrot's emails might not be a bad idea. You guys shoot me a PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Yeah, as a web developer, BoardGameCore is leaving me super annoyed due to not taking advantage of more web-platform stuff. It should be able to update a game window without me refreshing it, it should be able to push notifications to my desktop or phone directly. It's pretty nice to have it, but there are places where it could be much better.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The General posted:

Boardgaming-online.com

I was seriously surprised at how fast it went up. FCM too. Props to the companies for allowing it.

It's been up for a lot longer than it's been publicly available; they used it as a playtesting platform IIRC. Vlaada, as well as being a game wizard, is also a Good Dude.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

foxxtrot posted:

Yeah, as a web developer, BoardGameCore is leaving me super annoyed due to not taking advantage of more web-platform stuff. It should be able to update a game window without me refreshing it, it should be able to push notifications to my desktop or phone directly. It's pretty nice to have it, but there are places where it could be much better.

If you read "Sell your burgers online!" on BGG, you'll see he has plans for improving the experience.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I got linked this board game kickstarter project

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cosaic/zombie-tower-3d

And it seems kinda cool, no idea how fun it is or well balanced or whatever. Probably gimmicky ameritrash?

But the thing is this game already exists in Japan, but the kickstarter is to translate it and bring it overseas.

Thing is, the Japanese game already had English text on it. But now they're swapping for iconography. That's cool so you don't have to translate into French or German or whatever, I guess, but holy poo poo do their icons look HORRIBLE

Am I crazy or are those icons hideous? The English / Japanese looks so clean and nice, easy to read and understand.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Yah that's bad, over designed iconography. Too much unnecessary info. I can't figure out what the R X means, remove X? But then why is it remove a fire = 0-1, or remove a zombie = 0?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

R is range?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EBag posted:

Yah that's bad, over designed iconography. Too much unnecessary info. I can't figure out what the R X means, remove X? But then why is it remove a fire = 0-1, or remove a zombie = 0?

R is range, so 0~1 (why not 0-1?) means you can shoot somebody on your square or one square away, I guess AP check means you have to do some kind of a dice roll? and the arrow means you have to have the magazine to be able to do the other thing, but no arrow means you can just do it without anything else...

If you played the game and knew the rules you could figure it all out, but it just looks ugly. Those big red Xs over the picture of the tokens or the magazine looks horrible, and having the little dedicated AP check and range icons on top is cluttered.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Oh yah, weird, why does the original text version not even mention range?

E: oh nevermind I see, it's embedded in the description.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
So the question is: How do I find a place to buy the original Japanese version, if it should already be totally playable, what with things being in English already.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Zaphod42 posted:

R is range, so 0~1 (why not 0-1?)

Many Japanese writers use tildes instead of dashes for number ranges. (I work as an editor with lots of ESL authors.)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Some friends got my partner and I an Amazon gift certificate to buy a board game. I asked her what she wanted and she said "A good cooperative experience, like Pandemic Legacy."

Does that game exist? I have no interest in Arkham/Eldritch. I'm yhinking about just buying the new Through The Ages because Vlaada is a safe bet.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ghost Stories and Space Alert if she doesn't mind the game kicking her rear end a bit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Somberbrero posted:

Some friends got my partner and I an Amazon gift certificate to buy a board game. I asked her what she wanted and she said "A good cooperative experience, like Pandemic Legacy."

Does that game exist? I have no interest in Arkham/Eldritch. I'm yhinking about just buying the new Through The Ages because Vlaada is a safe bet.

Legendary Encounters: Alien, perhaps?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Somberbrero posted:

You should try Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, it has the co-op experience she is after as well as the session to session persistence/development of Pandemic Legacy:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/133038/pathfinder-adventure-card-game-rise-runelords-base

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I can't really see anyone recommending the Pathfinder ACG in good faith :stare:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Azran posted:

I can't really see anyone recommending the Pathfinder ACG in good faith :stare:

I can see Rutibex recommending it in good faith.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Does anyone have that link for FCM starting strats? I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Also I just got my copy. One corner of the box is dented as advertised but getting the game for 20 pounds less and having all of the components be perfect anyway makes up for it :woop:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tekopo posted:

EDIT: Also I just got my copy. One corner of the box is dented as advertised but getting the game for 20 pounds less and having all of the components be perfect anyway makes up for it :woop:

I don't know what link you're referring to, but the strat I use too much and am trying to break away from is:
T1: Recruiting Girl
T2: Recruiting Girl, Trainer
T3: [Pricing Manager, Waitress or Marketing Trainee], a (synergistic, if Mktng Trainee was hired) food/drink producer, hire/train Mgmt Trainee to Junior VP.

This gives you -$15 salary, 2 free Mgmt Trainees (unless someone else does T1: Trainer, T2: Hire/train JVP) and possibly eternal marketing/freezer/$5 waitresses/free burger cook or pizza cook depending on what milestones are left and puts you in a good position to run for Coach/Guru.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Jedit posted:

I can see Rutibex recommending it in good faith.

Haha, yeah I was gonna say

Skip the Pathfinder game, it gets super repetitive super fast. Some interesting mechanics and ideas, but it gets old.

If you want something dungeon crawl and co-op, I would suggest the D&D board game series. The newest one is Temple of Elemental Evil, but they are all pretty good and definitely require working together to survive. Easy to teach too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Oldstench posted:

I don't know what link you're referring to, but the strat I use too much and am trying to break away from is:
T1: Recruiting Girl
T2: Recruiting Girl, Trainer
T3: [Pricing Manager, Waitress or Marketing Trainee], a (synergistic, if Mktng Trainee was hired) food/drink producer, hire/train Mgmt Trainee to Junior VP.

This gives you -$15 salary, 2 free Mgmt Trainees (unless someone else does T1: Trainer, T2: Hire/train JVP) and possibly eternal marketing/freezer/$5 waitresses/free burger cook or pizza cook depending on what milestones are left and puts you in a good position to run for Coach/Guru.

Someone always does turn one trainer in our games. Every single time :negative:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Lorini posted:

Someone always does turn one trainer in our games. Every single time :negative:

Gotta have those 2 free Mgmt Trainees! It's a powerful move; gives you control of your turn order for at least 3 rounds and sets you up for big org. The others should be punishing that though with early mktng, +$5 food strats.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Haha, yeah I was gonna say

Skip the Pathfinder game, it gets super repetitive super fast. Some interesting mechanics and ideas, but it gets old.

If you want something dungeon crawl and co-op, I would suggest the D&D board game series. The newest one is Temple of Elemental Evil, but they are all pretty good and definitely require working together to survive. Easy to teach too.

Go with TOEE if you want a longer campaign. The Legends of Drizzt and Ashardalon ones have had more mileage for us though just doing one-offs. Ashardalon seems to have a slight edge but just my opinion. We've been playing a lot of Shadows of Brimstone as well which really scratches that itch but jesus christ is it a time, table and $$$ investment.

e: also always mage knight, never not mage knighting all the time every day

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Tekopo posted:

Either of these?

First hiring action break down
Two player strategy

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Last night, I played the starter decks for Codex, and to summarize, I don't think I'll be getting this game. Granted, I only played one game, but I think the issues I had with it won't really go away with more plays.

First of all, it seemed like there were a lot of things to keep track of and think about almost immediately which just made the game feel a bit clunky. It didn't quite have that feeling of just building up gradually that you get from other CCGs. That kind of natural flow to a game does help. Maybe over time, this might get easier once you become familiar with what to do, but the question is how long would that take especially if you see yourself playing maybe once a week for about 3-4 hours? What if you play even less often and you tend to switch up opponents and decks often? It seems like playing casually isn't going to help this game out in the short term. Also, since your normal games will have 3 heroes, a lot more cards in your "deck", and some additional things to think about such as more Tech Buildings and things called Specs, it'll just add to the amount of things you have to think about in game and outside of the game when you're trying to build decks. I always thought that the "open deck" mechanic in Mage Wars caused the learning curve to be way too steep in the beginning, and I think the same for Codex using the same mechanic.

Second, it seemed like things bogged down for both of us pretty quickly with both of us putting beefy guys in the squad leader (I think that was the name of it) position. So, after getting a couple of quick small hits on your opponent's base, you were spending most of your turns dealing with their patrollers until one of you basically won the tug of war and started whittling away at the base. We actually called it at that point because we couldn't see how the other player was going to make a comeback without a major effort involving stabilizing somehow and then breaking through again and then coming back. I'm sure there are ways this can happen in the game, but the questions are how often does that happen, what amount of skill and luck would that involve, and most importantly, how much longer would the game go on if that were to happen? It felt like there needed to be some kind of decking mechanic or fatigue mechanic where you can't just go back and forth forever.

Third, I think there are some quality of life type of things that might help with the game. For example, too many cards had to move back and forth on the table while having tokens and/or dice on them. Just that physical awkwardness of trying to pick up and move cards without dropping the tokens on them was a bit off putting. There's something satisfying with just picking up a card to tap or untap it which is lost if there are a bunch of things sitting on the card which you have to try and balance all of a sudden. Maybe if there weren't designated spots to put the patrollers, that might help things? Also, the generating money and moving money back and forth seemed a little busy. I'd prefer a counter type of things similar to Mage Wars.

There are some other things too, but I'm not going to go into them too much. Mainly, it summarizes to us thinking the game tried to maybe fix certain aspects of other games, but it just ended up feeling like the game was trying to do too much all at once. Also, $200 for everything seems a bit too high to me.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I was on the fence with getting codex. Is love to hear more opinions from anyone else who has played

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I ordered one of those component replacement packages for Mage Knight expansion Shades of Tezla. It's been 2 months now and nothing. Not even an update to say shipped or whatever. What the hell is wrong with Wizkids?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Cocks Cable posted:

I ordered one of those component replacement packages for Mage Knight expansion Shades of Tezla. It's been 2 months now and nothing. Not even an update to say shipped or whatever. What the hell is wrong with Wizkids?

Same :(

I need to make a request to FFG for Imperial Assault minis (a couple came broken), hopefully they are better.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Cocks Cable posted:

ditto!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tekopo posted:

As the others said, the two basic openings are to start with a Trainer or a Recruiting Girl. Getting a Trainer will give you the First to Train Milestone, but you won't get many of the others. You will get to see what the others are doing and adapt to their strategies, usually. You'll want to pick a larger Reserve, so the game lasts longer and you can get opportunities to leverage your better staff. Basically, the opposite of all that applies to get a Recruiting Girl first. You'll be first to get most of the milestones, but you need to run the bank out before the other players catch up.

Importantly, if you get a Recruiting Girl first, make sure you immediately hire another one next turn, so you can get the First to Hire Three in One Turn. If you don't, it's really easy for players who got a Trainer to grab a Recruiting Girl and then get both First to Train and First to Hire Three, which is a massive advantage.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Mine's been about a month, sounds like I'll have to wait a bit more. Anyone who has received their replacement that wants to chime in with where they live and how long it took to get there?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I submmited my request on the 18th of December and got it the February 1st. I'm in Texas. Got no shipment notification or anything it was just delivered out of the blue.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

All these people saying they've received their copy of FCM makes me regret ordering it from Splotter directly for their 4th reprint. :(

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

theroachman posted:

Mine's been about a month, sounds like I'll have to wait a bit more. Anyone who has received their replacement that wants to chime in with where they live and how long it took to get there?

Submitted Dec 24 or 25, got it in Newfoundland between January 5-8.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dumb question: Why do Race for the Galaxy cards have their production duplicated at the top-right of the card? I guess the idea is that other players thinking of playing Produce can see quickly how much everyone would benefit, but what's special about production powers that we get a little reminder?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I learned how to play Go! It's weird, but I quite enjoyed it. I'm still not entirely sure how the points work.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Dumb question: Why do Race for the Galaxy cards have their production duplicated at the top-right of the card? I guess the idea is that other players thinking of playing Produce can see quickly how much everyone would benefit, but what's special about production powers that we get a little reminder?

Production is the only phase that has no "standard" effect. With Explore, Develop, and Settle, the things you need to know about the opponent's state is the cards in their hand more than anything else. Consume cares about goods, which are pretty obvious. Produce is the least obvious effect, so reprinting it makes it easier to parse.

It's mostly superfluous.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

medchem posted:

Last night, I played the starter decks for Codex, and to summarize, I don't think I'll be getting this game. Granted, I only played one game, but I think the issues I had with it won't really go away with more plays.
Thanks for writing up all your thoughts! The first game is always rough so I'll try to make useful comments.

medchem posted:

First of all, it seemed like there were a lot of things to keep track of and think about almost immediately which just made the game feel a bit clunky.
Yeah, there are definitely more counters than MtG, in addition to having 2⅓ square feet of board per player.

medchem posted:

It didn't quite have that feeling of just building up gradually that you get from other CCGs. That kind of natural flow to a game does help. Maybe over time, this might get easier once you become familiar with what to do, but the question is how long would that take especially if you see yourself playing maybe once a week for about 3-4 hours? What if you play even less often and you tend to switch up opponents and decks often? It seems like playing casually isn't going to help this game out in the short term. Also, since your normal games will have 3 heroes, a lot more cards in your "deck", and some additional things to think about such as more Tech Buildings and things called Specs, it'll just add to the amount of things you have to think about in game and outside of the game when you're trying to build decks. I always thought that the "open deck" mechanic in Mage Wars caused the learning curve to be way too steep in the beginning, and I think the same for Codex using the same mechanic.
Starting with 4-5 turns of "land drops" already in play was a design decision. I agree that the first few turns are kinda brutal for new players.

One good thing to remember is that you'll see your first pair of tech cards on turns 3-4, and the second and third pair on turns 5-7 (because of when you shuffle). For casual play when you're unfamiliar with the game I recommend aiming to build Tech I building on turn 2 and Tech II building on turn 4, and then just tech for whatever you feel curious about, without trying too analyze too deep, as long as it coordinates with that timing.

medchem posted:

Second, it seemed like things bogged down for both of us pretty quickly with both of us putting beefy guys in the squad leader (I think that was the name of it) position. So, after getting a couple of quick small hits on your opponent's base, you were spending most of your turns dealing with their patrollers until one of you basically won the tug of war and started whittling away at the base. We actually called it at that point because we couldn't see how the other player was going to make a comeback without a major effort involving stabilizing somehow and then breaking through again and then coming back. I'm sure there are ways this can happen in the game, but the questions are how often does that happen, what amount of skill and luck would that involve, and most importantly, how much longer would the game go on if that were to happen? It felt like there needed to be some kind of decking mechanic or fatigue mechanic where you can't just go back and forth forever.
Try teching evasive units to avoid giving your opponent too much value from patrol bonuses. And if you can spare 5 gold for a tech III building and can defend the building, and your hand is big enough to cycle through your deck at a reasonable pace, then tech III units end the game real fast.

medchem posted:

Third, I think there are some quality of life type of things that might help with the game. For example, too many cards had to move back and forth on the table while having tokens and/or dice on them. Just that physical awkwardness of trying to pick up and move cards without dropping the tokens on them was a bit off putting. There's something satisfying with just picking up a card to tap or untap it which is lost if there are a bunch of things sitting on the card which you have to try and balance all of a sudden. Maybe if there weren't designated spots to put the patrollers, that might help things? Also, the generating money and moving money back and forth seemed a little busy. I'd prefer a counter type of things similar to Mage Wars.
All sizes of Codex come with this base HP tracker:

Sirlin says playtesters preferred to use coins over dials or dice for gold, but since base HP doesn't change as often as gold pile, you could use dice for base HP and use the dials for gold if that's what you prefer. (You can't have more than 20 gold at a time. Also, heroes don't go past level 8 because playtesters used d8s for levels.)

medchem posted:

There are some other things too, but I'm not going to go into them too much. Mainly, it summarizes to us thinking the game tried to maybe fix certain aspects of other games, but it just ended up feeling like the game was trying to do too much all at once. Also, $200 for everything seems a bit too high to me.
From what I hear, the game got more and more streamlined in development. I wasn't involved until a month ago (to proofread), but I remember hearing years ago about 2-hour games of "RTS cardgame" and being soooo mad that that was even considered being allowed to happen.

Anyway I demo'd at Channel Fireball last Saturday and most people who tried it liked it and one of them told me Hearthstone added "Codex mode"! So clearly Codex is the future, hah. (Actually a Codex playtester said "it's not about being a deckbuilder game, it's about guaranteeing you draw your earlygame cards early and your lategame cards late", which I think is pretty much the way to look at it.) I will be demoing again in Santa Clara and Los Altos this weekend.

EDIT:

OmegaGoo posted:

I learned how to play Go! It's weird, but I quite enjoyed it. I'm still not entirely sure how the points work.
BTW the Go thread is in Ask/Tell because TRADITION.

Xom fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 19, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Xom posted:

Thanks for writing up all your thoughts! The first game is always rough so I'll try to make useful comments.
Yeah, there are definitely more counters than MtG, in addition to having 2⅓ square feet of board per player.
Starting with 4-5 turns of "land drops" already in play was a design decision. I agree that the first few turns are kinda brutal for new players.

One good thing to remember is that you'll see your first pair of tech cards on turns 3-4, and the second and third pair on turns 5-7 (because of when you shuffle). For casual play when you're unfamiliar with the game I recommend aiming to build Tech I building on turn 2 and Tech II building on turn 4, and then just tech for whatever you feel curious about, without trying too analyze too deep, as long as it coordinates with that timing.
Try teching evasive units to avoid giving your opponent too much value from patrol bonuses. And if you can spare 5 gold for a tech III building and can defend the building, and your hand is big enough to cycle through your deck at a reasonable pace, then tech III units end the game real fast.
All sizes of Codex come with this base HP tracker:

Sirlin says playtesters preferred to use coins over dials or dice for gold, but since base HP doesn't change as often as gold pile, you could use dice for base HP and use the dials for gold if that's what you prefer. (You can't have more than 20 gold at a time. Also, heroes don't go past level 8 because playtesters used d8s for levels.)
From what I hear, the game got more and more streamlined in development. I wasn't involved until a month ago (to proofread), but I remember hearing years ago about 2-hour games of "RTS cardgame" and being soooo mad that that was even considered being allowed to happen.

Anyway I demo'd at Channel Fireball last Saturday and most people who tried it liked it and one of them told me Hearthstone added "Codex mode"! So clearly Codex is the future, hah. (Actually a Codex playtester said "it's not about being a deckbuilder game, it's about guaranteeing you draw your earlygame cards early and your lategame cards late", which I think is pretty much the way to look at it.) I will be demoing again in Santa Clara and Los Altos this weekend.

EDIT:
BTW the Go thread is in Ask/Tell because TRADITION.

Can you say some words about what you like about the game? RTS card builder sounds like a cool concept, but I'm afraid it would be very finicky, which is what seems to be the person you quoted complaint. I have a game called the ares project, which is essentially an RTS board game, but it's just too annoying to play with all the bits and stuff.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

OmegaGoo posted:

It doesn't help that there's two different ways of scoring, albeit usually resulting in the same winner.

There's a couple threads hanging around (A/T and GBS I think) if you want more goons talking about go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Produce effects vary a lot and are also the furthest from your opponent (so, hardest to read). In order to read someone's production you generally look at the top of their card for solid-colored worlds (and maybe windfalls as well, but mostly production worlds) so this lets you see their card generation too in the "expected spot".