Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

Well, they've got the Italian R/R's down, now they just need to get everything else.

It's Aprilia being compared to Honda you doofus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

There's a certain excitement in not knowing whether you'll make it to the next gas station yeah.

Yeah someone I ride with's got a VTR and this is really annoying. On the other hand, he's got soft luggage on it so he can carry my crap.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Between my back issues flaring up and an insurance "issue" (state farm randomly cancelled my policy because they thought my license was expired) I havent rode in almost 2 weeks. Sucks, but Ive got a 4 day weekend and am sorting the insurance poo poo out today. Cant wait to ride.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Heal up, don't push it. I ended up not riding for like a year and selling my 675 because of that poo poo.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Heal up, don't push it. I ended up not riding for like a year and selling my 675 because of that poo poo.

Thanks man. I'm almost back to normal. Typical sciatica/spasms that lay me out about once every 3 months or so. I'm going to ride a lot before the good weather goes!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

PaintVagrant posted:

Thanks man. I'm almost back to normal. Typical sciatica/spasms that lay me out about once every 3 months or so. I'm going to ride a lot before the good weather goes!
The best riding hasn't even started yet! Fall is my absolute favorite time of year to ride. Speaking of which, I'm hoping to have the R6 back up and running this month. Finally got around to tearing it down this week and I'm extremely happy with the amount (or lack thereof) of damage.

Airbox and engine were immaculate. Bike runs fine.

Had the file the poo poo out of the stupid Vortex fairing stay to get it to mount, though.

Reg/rec mounting bracket broke. Oh noooo, I'm going to have to go to home depot and spend $5 on a piece of sheet metal.

Subframe is tweaked a little. I don't care.

The only concerning thing is that the front end was a little cockeyed. The wheel is straight in both of these pics, and you can see that the triple is at an angle. We loosened everything and realigned it back into place, but I'll have to ride it to see how the suspension actually feels.

Overall, it just needs a new battery (free swap at CG because lifetime warranty), reg/rec bracket, possibly new gauges, some fiberglass work, and I'm going to swap the throttle cable while it's stripped down. Not bad for sliding 300 feet into a field at 120mph.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Not even sure what got me starting to think about bikes, but I just signed up for the MSF course for the coming weekend. Been watching a lot of youtube videos and they have me wanting an FZ-07. Not sure I want to start by dropping $8k the bike, plus another grand on gear. Or an R3. But I'm a big dude and like fast thing, so dunno.

I should think about getting boots/gloves/jacket at the very minimum. Not ready to buy the bike yet, so not in a rush for gear. At least if I've taken the course and have the bike license I can go pickup a used bike without having to tow it or having a buddy ride it home.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Good plan on the gear. $1000 is a good starting budget so when you come in under that you'll be happy, or if you meet it you'll have good poo poo. And a good helmet should be at the top of that list.

Don't make up your mind about what bike you want until after you finish the course. Don't plan to start on either an FZ07 or a brand new bike. A 250 or 300 is perfectly capable of hauling big dudes fast enough to get you into trouble, so don't assume they're too small. Especially a modern 300.

Keep a thick skin if you want to keep getting advice here. It'll be good but with a minimum of pussyfooting around.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 5, 2016

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Don't buy a new bike as your first bike because you will drop it and be sad. Buy a cheap used bike, ride it for a year and get comfortable, then sell it for what you paid for it, because used bikes hold value.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

ilkhan posted:

Not even sure what got me starting to think about bikes, but I just signed up for the MSF course for the coming weekend. Been watching a lot of youtube videos and they have me wanting an FZ-07. Not sure I want to start by dropping $8k the bike, plus another grand on gear. Or an R3. But I'm a big dude and like fast thing, so dunno.

I should think about getting boots/gloves/jacket at the very minimum. Not ready to buy the bike yet, so not in a rush for gear. At least if I've taken the course and have the bike license I can go pickup a used bike without having to tow it or having a buddy ride it home.

Signing up for the MSF course is the best first move you can make when you get interested in bikes, so, good.

The R3 is a much better choice. Don't get the FZ-07 until you have a year or so of practice on a smaller, lighter bike. Either way, don't get a new bike for your first; you will drop it and damage it so it's better to save some money and get something with a few scratches already.

Make sure to get a full-face helmet.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The best reason to start small is that, once you go big, you've gone big forever, and you'll spend the rest of your life trying to recreate that feeling again. If you start on a 100cc bike and move up 100cc each year or two after that, you can draw out the "WHOOOAAA NELLY" factor for a good, long time.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Found a local supplier for JB Weld to reinforce a weakened insert on the exhaust on my transalp. Managed to mangle it when I replaced the rusted through stock exhaust with an aftermarket slip-on last fall and It's been like 2 months between each bodge repair to stop it leaking. I'm gonna be my own previous owner.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Like as has been said, don't get a new bike for a first bike. There's a big chance you're going to drop it and dropping a new $7000 bike is going to make you cry a lot harder than a 10 year old $1500 bike. If you're a big guy, you might want to look at dual sports, they sit higher and have a lot more leg room than sport or most other street bikes, plus the option of riding dirt. They're usually single cylinders and easy to work on.

Another thing to think about is maintenance, unless you have a shitton of money to throw away you're going to want to do most of your own wrenching. An older model is going to have a lot more information available to do things like valve adjustments or what bars fit without having to buy new lines and cables or re-route after you drop it. Get a factory service or Clymer manual for whatever you buy.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

ilkhan posted:

I just signed up for the MSF course for the coming weekend.

Smart move. The MSF course sets up an awesome foundation to learn on. Also, choosing to outline a solid gear budget is a great start to bieks.

I know I'm going to sound like a parrot, but I'll recommend against the FZ-07 as a first bike. One of my coworkers did exactly what you're talking about (brand new FZ-07), and he has had a lot of grief about it. He confided in me that the bike flat out scares him. It's just a lot of power for when you're starting out, regardless of how large you are.

Try out a ninja 250 or cbr250 -- you'll be surprised at the pep a 250cc engine can produce. If you want a little more power and farkles then check out the ninja 300, cbr300, or R3. All of them will have enough power to keep you entertained for a year of learning the ropes.

Also, get ABS if you can swing it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Seconding "just find a used R3". They seem nice. Go test ride one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll be paying attention to power levels during the riding course. A used 250/300 (maybe an R3?) would be ideal from my POV, but we'll see. For what its worth I'm coming "from" a 435HP mustang, I know a little bit about throttle self-control.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

ilkhan posted:

For what its worth I'm coming "from" a 435HP mustang, I know a little bit about throttle self-control.

Similar circumstances here, and 250cc will be more than enough for you. Riding is a whole new world.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

ilkhan posted:

For what its worth I'm coming "from" a 435HP mustang, I know a little bit about throttle self-control.

:allears:

(a ninja 250, the ideal easygoing starter bike, has the same power-to-weight ratio as your mustang)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
whats this throttle self control you speak of?

Get a 1290SD. actually, buy Z3n's.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

heh

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

:allears:

(a ninja 250, the ideal easygoing starter bike, has the same power-to-weight ratio as your mustang)

Assuming a 200 lb operator, 35 hp, and 385 lb wet weight , the hp:wt ratio of a Ninja 300 is ~0.06.

Assuming a 200 lb operator, 435 hp, and 3600 lb wet weight, the hp:wt ratio of a Mustang is ~0.12.

But yeah, the point stands that throttle control in a fast car is still a useless metric to guess at your ability to handle a bike, even a slow one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

cursedshitbox posted:

whats this throttle self control you speak of?

Get a 1290SD. actually, buy Z3n's.

not enough power, he's used to four hunnrit

besides, I'm one Tuono crash away from justifying the SD (or V4 Tuono).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Assuming a 200 lb operator, 35 hp, and 385 lb wet weight , the hp:wt ratio of a Ninja 300 is ~0.06.

Assuming a 200 lb operator, 435 hp, and 3600 lb wet weight, the hp:wt ratio of a Mustang is ~0.12.

But yeah, the point stands that throttle control in a fast car is still a useless metric to guess at your ability to handle a bike, even a slow one.
A point I do understand. As I said, I'll be paying attention at the class. And if I can find a cheap/used R3 I'll probably go that route.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The issue with something like the fz-07 isn't hp. It's the ridiculous low end torque. It's much more dangerous than high end hp as a learner.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Buhbuhj posted:

The issue with something like the fz-07 isn't hp. It's the ridiculous low end torque. It's much more dangerous than high end hp as a learner.
Well that does make sense.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Buhbuhj posted:

fz-07 [...] ridiculous low end torque

Heh. I mean yeah it's not bad for a p-twin of that size but it makes less torque at peak (6k rpm) than my Monster 821 makes at 3k rpm.

Anyway I'm going to go ahead and say neither torque or bhp are the enemy here, it's delivery. A random fat Harley is going to be way, way more forgiving of ham-fisted throttle application than an R6, and it has nothing to do with the power curves of either.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Buhbuhj posted:

second, it's all about that power curve. same problem with 600s. the nice thing, too, about 250s and 300s is they don't hurt/burn as much when you drop them on yourself and they don't GET hurt as much either.

the thing is that they also do have a pretty good power to weight ratio, they just deliver it more smoothly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Power curves and torque delivery are the wrong thing to focus on. Torque curves don't make you fixate into a ditch.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Slavvy posted:

Power curves and torque delivery are the wrong thing to focus on. Torque curves don't make you fixate into a ditch.

A new rider only has so much attention to give and no muscle memory so riding a gentle bike with a forgiving throttle means they don't have to focus on being perfectly smooth on the throttle and can instead focus on things they learned in the MSF like not target fixating.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I agree with all these points. I just wanted to bring up the fz-07 because he was showing interest in one. Even if he found a used one cheap. With the way the throttle mapping is on them and the stock suspension, you can find yourself grabbing a whole lot of throttle if you hit a bump and then welp the front is in the air or you just launched yourself into a ditch.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I really want to ride a triple, all MY bikes have had either 2 or 4 cylinders. My cruiser made find of torque between blatblatblat and BLATBLATBLAT, my FZ6 you need to wring it's neck, deal with vibration and unpleasant exhaust noise on the tagged edge of redline to make any power. The SV650 makes sweet, smooth, delicious torque at a linear rate between 3k and 11krpm, and my R1 was docile between 2k and 4k, got grungy and tourquey beyond that, and then beyond 7.5k to its insane 13.75k redline turned in to a howling, insane, twist-the-wrist and it'll do 100 while power-wheeling loving monster.

I distinctly remember following forums member Voltage, him on my R1, me on his FZ6, and merging on the highway, wondering why he was disappearing, while I was doing a mere 60 with the bike making unhappy noises (I was hitting redline in 2nd, he was still in 1st)

Anyways, powerband makes a difference, and the nut side to use it does too

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Elviscat posted:

I really want to ride a triple, all MY bikes have had either 2 or 4 cylinders. My cruiser made find of torque between blatblatblat and BLATBLATBLAT, my FZ6 you need to wring it's neck, deal with vibration and unpleasant exhaust noise on the tagged edge of redline to make any power. The SV650 makes sweet, smooth, delicious torque at a linear rate between 3k and 11krpm, and my R1 was docile between 2k and 4k, got grungy and tourquey beyond that, and then beyond 7.5k to its insane 13.75k redline turned in to a howling, insane, twist-the-wrist and it'll do 100 while power-wheeling loving monster.

I distinctly remember following forums member Voltage, him on my R1, me on his FZ6, and merging on the highway, wondering why he was disappearing, while I was doing a mere 60 with the bike making unhappy noises (I was hitting redline in 2nd, he was still in 1st)

Anyways, powerband makes a difference, and the nut side to use it does too

What kind of funky stunt gearing were you using to make your FZ6 top out at 60 in second?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Had a great day riding Skaggs Spring road from Stewarts Point to Healdsburg. 50 miles of sweeping curves and tight technical sections and the best scenery around.

Came across a few more entries for the "why you must never outride your sight lines" list. You never know when you'll go around a blind corner and come across, in the middle of the road,

a) six lazy cows, chilling
b) a burning pickup truck, with the owners standing fifty feet away with their hands on their heads, and some firefighters halfheartedly spraying it with water
c) a motor home that somehow failed at turning into an uphill driveway, and is now stuck with its nose in the air, front wheels on the driveway, the trailer hitch wedged into the asphalt, and the rear wheels hanging off the ground, its rear end blocking the entire lane :psyduck:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

A new rider only has so much attention to give and no muscle memory so riding a gentle bike with a forgiving throttle means they don't have to focus on being perfectly smooth on the throttle and can instead focus on things they learned in the MSF like not target fixating.

That's what I'm trying to get at; the minutae of power delivery isn't really relevant, just get a ninja 300 or similar and gently caress off until you know how not to fall over is the best advice.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ilkhan posted:

Well that does make sense.

Awww, this was better when you were all "no, I'm different than anyone else ever and far too fast and too furious to ever ride anything reasonable or slow."

Bikes and cars are different. Feel free to think you know better, but folks are giving you good advice. Your worst case scenario if you buy a 250/300 is you really are the youngest Marquez (suck it Rossi fans) and you get used to it after a few months and have to move up just in time to sell during the spring when your bike will be worth the most. On the other hand, your worst case on a higher displacement bike is that you wheelie into traffic and die. Anyway, it is true that it's more fun riding a slow bike fast and you'll get a lot better by learning to ride a slower bike really well than you will by learning to ride a faster bike. You'll probably be fine on an FZ-07 or an sv650 or similar, but it's a silly risk and you'll be better in the long run if you learn on a 250/300.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Guys he already said he's probably going to buy a 300 :v:

ilkhan posted:

A point I do understand. As I said, I'll be paying attention at the class. And if I can find a cheap/used R3 I'll probably go that route.

e: On the off chance you're not already aware, Ninja 500s (and similar bikes) are a thing that you can look into too.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 6, 2016

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

serious question: do you have a goatee?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Throttle control: the ability to modulate the power slide to catch as many pedestrians at once?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
This conversation reminded me of 14:10 in this clip:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zl9X-qJdqNE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Here4DaGangBang posted:

This conversation reminded me of 14:10 in this clip:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zl9X-qJdqNE
Yeah thats the poo poo we would want to avoid.