Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Creature posted:

it was my first Batman movie

That's a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Batman Forever is underrated. Holey rusted metal, Batman!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Arcella posted:

I'll probably pick them up on discogs eventually. I really like the art of the racecar album, reminds me of my dad's paintings.

Whoops!

I love the back cover of them in the race suits :kimchi: Actually ended up being pretty reasonable even with 3-day shipping from Japan

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I find myself much more forgiving of the Shoemaker Batmans these days because I could use the loving goofy bullshit in my life.

But I still maintain Batman Returns is the only good Batman movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Returns > 89 > Forever

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

My copy of Mint Jams has shipped from LitA, I'm very excited. :unsmith:

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Turbinosamente posted:

I've never tried to play a picture disc though since I hear that can be dicey at times. Good thing I only own one by accident.

I have a few picture discs, I don't think the sound quality is necessarily bad but there's kind of a low level hum throughout them at all times. One of them is a Polysics record that's basically insane from start to finish so you pretty much never hear it!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, my partner got the FF7 OST picture disc, and while I don't notice too much difference (again, I have broken ears), he definitely does. I believe he mentioned a decent amount of popping/crackling, but I don't know if that's related to it being a picture disc or not.

CPL593H posted:

For those unaware, records start their lives as little beads and which are then melted into the hockey puck shaped thing that gets pressed.

This is cool and I'm surprised I've never come across this when I used to watch those "WEIRDLY SATISFYING VIDEOS!!!!!!" on Youtube years ago.

Neat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbqzx0tUnPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq5EDXNe-HQ

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I'm not gonna click those because I far prefer my mental image that every LP is hand tossed into a disc like pizza dough before baking in a big brick oven

The factory owner's son is in the back putting the grooves in with a tiny little knife. He's listening to the master recording and following along

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

Arcella posted:

Whoops!

I love the back cover of them in the race suits :kimchi: Actually ended up being pretty reasonable even with 3-day shipping from Japan

Nice!! Mind posting a link? I know they're already going to make me cringe at the price, but that album art has always spoken to me. Takes me back to days playing GT5.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

Sorry to pile on to your personal Hell, but I grabbed this on vinyl just now. :yeah:

2007 should not feel like this long ago!

Update: the description said the records were black, but I was surprised to see they are actually fluorescent orange. I'm sure someone would be annoyed (I hear debate on colored vinyl vs black, I've never noticed a difference), but I'm quite pleased!

Samsquamsch posted:

Nice!! Mind posting a link? I know they're already going to make me cringe at the price, but that album art has always spoken to me. Takes me back to days playing GT5.

I got my Mint Jams from LitA, but I believe they're sold out now. However, looks like Amazon still has both albums.

pwn
May 27, 2004

dorium posted:

Returns > 89 > Forever

I can buy this but if I’m being honest Forever is more fun than either Burton Buttman. But between Burtons, yes Returns is King

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I can't wrap my mind around people thinking Batman Returns isn't fun or campy.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Barry posted:

I recently went through the entire Animal Collective discography … the rest of their music is borderline unlistenable.

Wtf.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Is that the one with Danny devito? I don’t think I’ve seen that since it was in the theater. It was at a cheap theater and the reel cut out towards the end. Everyone just had to leave. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the ending.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

JAMOOOL posted:

house to myself tonight, ripped a bowl and am now playing this at a very high volume, I'm on another planet

How does this compare to MDK, and what are your thoughts on Yoshida Tatsuya?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Is that the one with Danny devito? I don’t think I’ve seen that since it was in the theater. It was at a cheap theater and the reel cut out towards the end. Everyone just had to leave. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the ending.

Yes. See that's the thing, a lot of people haven't seen the movie in 20 or more years and if you're average goon age that would mean you were a kid. So everyone forgot how loving crazy Batman Returns is. Watch that one again. If you've got HBO Max it's on there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Yes. See that's the thing, a lot of people haven't seen the movie in 20 or more years and if you're average goon age that would mean you were a kid. So everyone forgot how loving crazy Batman Returns is. Watch that one again. If you've got HBO Max it's on there.

I watch about 2 movies a year and I spent one of them a few weeks ago watching cabin boy again, but I’ll keep it in mind.

And yeah, I might have been 12 when I saw that. I don’t remember hating it. But I saw the first one about a dozen times and saw 3/4 of returns and was good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Batman Returns is one horny as hell movie. Everyone is trying to get a piece in that movie and Christopher Walken is just humping the set.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Daniel Waters' writing credits are buck wild, but there are stone cold loving classics in there.

CPL593H posted:

Every single person in this thread's gut reaction to Batman Returns is probably "YOU CAN'T SCRATCH A CD LIKE THAT." And we're not wrong.

OH poo poo, I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS ON A SHELF IN FOREVER.

Masterpiece.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I have DVD shelves and it’s on there. I just have a little more fun with Batman Forever. I guess Carrey and Jones just slapped as bad guys for me at 13, 14 :shrug:

BigFactory posted:

I watch about 2 movies a year and I spent one of them a few weeks ago watching cabin boy again, but I’ll keep it in mind.

I have the Blu-ray of Cabin Boy. :hehe:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

I have the Blu-ray of Cabin Boy. :hehe:

All timer

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I saw Cabin Boy in a theater 'cause you know I'm legit. :c00l:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I have DVD shelves and it’s on there. I just have a little more fun with Batman Forever. I guess Carrey and Jones just slapped as bad guys for me at 13, 14 :shrug:

Danny Devito alone chews the ever loving gently caress out of the scenery. That's not even mentioning what Christopher Walken and Michelle Pfeiffer are doing. Carrey and Jones are just chumps compared to that. The "It could be worse, my nose could be gushing blood." scene alone is better than the entirety of Batman Forever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

In other news I was crate digging at Savers and came across a 60s UK pressing of Vanilla Fudge s/t and was all hyped. When I checked the disc it was some garbage inside and not Vanilla Fudge.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Do you keep the paper inner sleeves that most LPs come with? I’ve got a stack that I’ve replaced rice paper and plastic inner sleeves. Wondering if I should keep the old ones for any reason.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hekk posted:

Do you keep the paper inner sleeves that most LPs come with? I’ve got a stack that I’ve replaced rice paper and plastic inner sleeves. Wondering if I should keep the old ones for any reason.

I toss 'em. You can buy a ton for cheap if you ever need them for some reason.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I'd ask if your local place (or any local record collectors) needs 'em, otherwise just recycle them.
I only keep inserts if they have something printed on them, and even then, I still pop the disc in a plastic sleeve instead.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Thanks I figured as much but just wanted to make sure it wasn't standard practice to hold onto them for some reason.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The inserts that have old-rear end ads for other records are my favorite, I always keep those. :3

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

I dunno, I just think that before they leaned into the vocal harmonizing and turned up the reverb it was just really boring, noodly ambient music with no cohesion or direction or rhythm. I'm admittedly kind of a verse chorus verse type but I like plenty of stuff that's in the vein of their earlier music but for some reason I just do not like what they were doing initially.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Please reconsider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTRGYz17E5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDHGgwwL4UI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEGhtbLuMHY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSTSD2EhMUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImkOQ3f2m7g

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
LISTEN to music? Buddy this thread is about buying records.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hi, my name is Petit Choux and I like fast cars and faster women.

IIRC, this was one of the bands that won a competition on the local rock station in Indianapolis, WFBQ, in the late 70s-early 80s that listeners called in to vote for their favorite, and the prize was (hush) free studio time. And IIRC so was a local guy known as Johnny Cougar.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Toe Rag posted:

Please reconsider

I did recently make a sweep through their entire discography so I feel like I'm coming from an informed position and I'll admit that unlistenable was a little much but I'm still not into it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Hekk posted:

I... Use them! :magical:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

wa27 posted:

I... Use them! :magical:

Don't feel bad I do too unless it's ripped, or the acids turned it brown and made it brittle. It's bad enough the amount of plastic exterior sleeves I go through.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yeah I stick with the original as long as possible unless they're really cool and I don't wanna damage em

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Just bought a big crate of vinyl without even looking at it for $10. Made it about halfway through the crate full of gospel and country before I found a copy of Fagan's Nightfly in good shape. That makes it worth it right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

petit choux posted:

Made it about halfway through the crate full of gospel and country

Send it to me. :colbert: