Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Speaking of Scion, revisiting the Hero book now that it's out and final and: Spending Legend still sucks, and is lovely, because regaining Legend sucks, and is lovely. At least fresh out of chargen at Legend 1 where you just, lose the ability to do god crap that involves Imbuing Legend if you ever pull the trigger on the more interesting stuff, until you derail the story to stock up. Like, the spend/regain Legend system seems like a bolted-on or aborted previous version of WoD-lite where you need to do the god-narrative equivalent of vampiric feeding for this one uncommon instance of a thing, in a game where otherwise you're pretty loosy-goosy with always-actives and per-scene commitments. And half the stuff you can spend it on isn't necessarily that much more narratively impactful than the regular Imbues!

It doesn't help that, of the Purviews in the book, you could replace virtually every Spend 1 Legend with "Imbue 1 Legend for the scene" for both the innate powers and their boons, and you would lose nothing of value.

Like, cool game, but replacing Spend with Imbue-for-Scene is the only way I think I could sell a group on it.

It's this that caused me my doubts about playing Scion despite getting the books in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's this that caused me my doubts about playing Scion despite getting the books in the mail.
Don't get me wrong, I still think it's eminently playable and the basic system is a nice sweet spot between WoD/Exalted crunchy dots and Nobilis-style "*massive bong rip* what are rules even, man?" freeform narrative.

It just cries out for a 1.5e for one specific thing (higher-powered urban fantasy at the jump).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Legend 1 is a bit rough, yeah. It gets way easier to deal with when you have even a second dot of it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Legend 1 is a bit rough, yeah. It gets way easier to deal with when you have even a second dot of it.

As fuel for things, yeah. But really, having power stats at 1 in other gamelines is a complete pain too. It's slightly less noticeable in 2e stuff, but out of the gate characters are going to have a harder time actually pulling off the most basic of powers unless you put dots on the sheet in an ideal way to give you a better starting pool. That's not always ideal for the character, but w/e it's going to happen. Probably worse for Scion if it's a spendable resource mechanic, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Basically, if you're a new whatever, the basics should be a little bit of a drag to make it more obvious that you're getting stronger when those stats go up.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Jhet posted:

As fuel for things, yeah. But really, having power stats at 1 in other gamelines is a complete pain too. It's slightly less noticeable in 2e stuff, but out of the gate characters are going to have a harder time actually pulling off the most basic of powers unless you put dots on the sheet in an ideal way to give you a better starting pool. That's not always ideal for the character, but w/e it's going to happen. Probably worse for Scion if it's a spendable resource mechanic, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Basically, if you're a new whatever, the basics should be a little bit of a drag to make it more obvious that you're getting stronger when those stats go up.
The other gamelines don't have a power pool of 1 at rating 1, they usually have a power pool of 10. And all of them have easily-repeated, explicitly off-screenable ways to regain pool.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The other gamelines don't have a power pool of 1 at rating 1, they usually have a power pool of 10. And all of them have easily-repeated, explicitly off-screenable ways to regain pool.

Fair. I was incorrectly equating Legend to Blood Potency or the like. If it’s better equated to Vitae or Mana then that’s pretty annoying.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Jhet posted:

Fair. I was incorrectly equating Legend to Blood Potency or the like. If it’s better equated to Vitae or Mana then that’s pretty annoying.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, if it was 10 Legend points for 1 dot and it was annoying to regain them I'd be quietly complaining not shrilly howling about it. But it's best equated to Willpower probably.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What does Nobilis have to do with free-form narrative, anyway?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Why can't my toad Noble turn people into toads Rand

* I didn't play 3e

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Werewolf: the Apocalypse - Earthblood is going to be shown off at E3.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It sounds exciting till you realize they just used furry Homestuck fanart to remake Tokimeki Memorial. Hopefully the DLC will let you gently caress the apocalypse, though

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

It sounds exciting till you realize they just used furry Homestuck fanart to remake Tokimeki Memorial. Hopefully the DLC will let you gently caress the apocalypse, though

Look I know you're joking but I would honestly give an absurd amount of money for a game where I can finally get Bone Gnawer-sempai to notice me.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hattie Masters posted:

Look I know you're joking but I would honestly give an absurd amount of money for a game where I can finally get Bone Gnawer-sempai to notice me.

That does sound rad but honestly I think making Earthblood a kart racer was the right move.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I would love a Garou dating simulator but it would slam face-first into the most unsavory parts of Garou reproduction. In fact I think it would hit literally every bump on the way down.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Hattie Masters posted:

A one-dot Fetish called "Necklace of Hamburgers."

Rand Brittain posted:

I would love a Garou dating simulator but it would slam face-first into the most unsavory parts of Garou reproduction. In fact I think it would hit literally every bump on the way down.

Y'all seen these romance sim-style banner ads? poo poo like: You try and hold Crinos-chan's hand on the ferris wheel but she immediately bursts into war form and gets you both stuck inside the gondola. Then she frenzies. What do you do????

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Explode into tomato paste.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Why limit it to Werewolf when it could be all the WoD Splats? (except Beast)

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 7, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
a Beast dating sim would be actively the worst.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Kurieg posted:

a Beast dating sim would be actively the worst.

A Beast dating sim would be The Bachelor.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's eminently playable and the basic system is a nice sweet spot between WoD/Exalted crunchy dots and Nobilis-style "*massive bong rip* what are rules even, man?" freeform narrative.

It just cries out for a 1.5e for one specific thing (higher-powered urban fantasy at the jump).

Nobilis is LESS freeform than WoD.

:colbert:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Y'all seen these romance sim-style banner ads? poo poo like: You try and hold Crinos-chan's hand on the ferris wheel but she immediately bursts into war form and gets you both stuck inside the gondola. Then she frenzies. What do you do????

Hand stuff.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, Nobilis is diceless but it has a very solid mechanical core about having a general level of power and spending resources to go beyond it.

Labes for days posted:

Have any of you run Promethean? Can you give me some resources or advice for that game in particular? I picked up 2nd edition and am kicking around ideas for running a game once the one I’m currently playing in concludes and running into some blocks.

It was always my second favorite WoD line (after CtL) and I absolutely love the idea of it, but it also doesn’t seem like the type of game that lends itself to writing a story before you know what the PCs are like.

One of my favorite campaigns was a year-long Promethean one we ran back when 1e came out. I'd say it benefits the most from having players that really buy-in into the idea, see if you can convince them into keeping in-character journals for you to build milestones around of. It is a game that can be centered on the character's internal pilgrimage, so don't shy away from having personal roleplaying moments if your group size allows for it. If you have over three regular players this might not be entirely feasible, so you can focus it more on experiences shared by the party as a whole, as well as taking advantage of the Centimani, Pandorans and Qashmallim as central plot drivers.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm running Changeling (Lost not Dreaming, good lord) and one of my characters wants to gently caress Odo. There's a shapeshifting face changing spirit in that game somewhere, right? Some kinda realm where they could meet the platonic manifestation of Odo-ness? I know the dream magic poo poo is mechanically busted, anything else?

And, yes, we've talked about it. This is the best I could negotiate them down to. Please don't judge.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Having read through Beast I've come to the conclusion that everyone seems to have which is that Heroes are much more interesting than Beasts. The idea of disruptions in what amounts to the collective unconscious can drive an ordinary person to obsession and madness while they attempt to embody heroic archetypes and fight very real monsters is pretty drat cool.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I'm running Changeling (Lost not Dreaming, good lord) and one of my characters wants to gently caress Odo. There's a shapeshifting face changing spirit in that game somewhere, right? Some kinda realm where they could meet the platonic manifestation of Odo-ness? I know the dream magic poo poo is mechanically busted, anything else?

And, yes, we've talked about it. This is the best I could negotiate them down to. Please don't judge.

It's your game. If you want to let them gently caress Odo, they get to gently caress Odo.

That having been said the actual Odo would shoot some rando right the gently caress down.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

Having read through Beast I've come to the conclusion that everyone seems to have which is that Heroes are much more interesting than Beasts. The idea of disruptions in what amounts to the collective unconscious can drive an ordinary person to obsession and madness while they attempt to embody heroic archetypes and fight very real monsters is pretty drat cool.

Beast was secretly Reckoning 2.0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thinking back to VASCU, you could totally do the "Have to work with creepy/dangerous prisoner" except the prisoner is a vampire that's been there for longer than you've been alive.

That's loving great.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Quick running question; for a game set in a school where the characters could be a nyhimg from 15 to 18, should I worry about replacing Drive and Firearms?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

OscarDiggs posted:

Quick running question; for a game set in a school where the characters could be a nyhimg from 15 to 18, should I worry about replacing Drive and Firearms?

Depends on what state the campaign is set in. if it’s like Kentucky for Iowa no kids are driving himself to school and probably hunting pretty regularly

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Depends on what state the campaign is set in. if it’s like Kentucky for Iowa no kids are driving himself to school and probably hunting pretty regularly

I was thinking more east coastish. But I'm not American so I admit I don't know much about what the difference would be outside of dome stereotypes from movies and TV.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm from rural upstate New York, lots of my classmates went hunting with their families and it was pretty common for parents to take their kid to practice driving before they were actually of the legal age, and you had to have access to a car to do basically anything noteworthy as a 16-18 year old.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OscarDiggs posted:

I was thinking more east coastish. But I'm not American so I admit I don't know much about what the difference would be outside of dome stereotypes from movies and TV.

Just set the game in 2021 after the supreme court made a gun mandatory for all students in order to prevent school shootings.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm from rural upstate New York, lots of my classmates went hunting with their families and it was pretty common for parents to take their kid to practice driving before they were actually of the legal age, and you had to have access to a car to do basically anything noteworthy as a 16-18 year old.

This is true for me and I lived in suburban Cincinnati which is semi-East Coastish. It's worth remembering that America generally has garbo public transport, so lots of kids around 16 are super eager to get a car because otherwise they can't really do stuff on their own.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Just set the game in 2021 after the supreme court made a gun mandatory for all students in order to prevent school shootings.

That's not a bad idea, but what do I replace Firearms with on the character sheet?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OscarDiggs posted:

That's not a bad idea, but what do I replace Firearms with on the character sheet?

America.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

OscarDiggs posted:

Does Archery fall under athletics?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bust Rodd posted:

Does Archery fall under athletics?

It does (which makes it hilariously appealing for min-max purposes.)

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Hah.

I could also just not set it in America to side step the issue, but again that leaves a whole blank skill. Unless I can make up an in setting replacement.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Leaving the skill blank doesn’t really require you to mod something into its place. You can just say “there are no guns because you’re kids”.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

OscarDiggs posted:

Fortnite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

If you're concerned the players might waste character creation points, just remind them that those skills might end up useless so don't take them, or be very convinced they need them if they do.