Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

xrunner posted:

...I was out of town the night she had the stroke and her daughter talked the doctor into overriding her advanced care directive).
On a tangential note, is there a way to direct your estate to sue any doctors who do poo poo like this?

I read too many news articles about this poo poo, and this terrifies me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Without seeing the language of the document who knows.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EwokEntourage posted:

Common enough that it’s addressed in ethic / disciplinary rules

Could you say more about the ethics rules here?

euphronius posted:

Without seeing the language of the document who knows.

What language would be required for someone to be able to sue a doctor who disregarded the directive? Pick your jurisdiction, really.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Subjunctive posted:

Could you say more about the ethics rules here?

Here's the applicable part of the Georgia rules:

RULE 7.5 FIRM NAMES AND LETTERHEADS posted:

(a) A lawyer shall not use a firm name, letterhead or other professional designation that violates Rule 7.1.

(b) A law firm with offices in more than one jurisdiction may use the same name in each jurisdiction, but identification of the lawyers in an office of the firm shall indicate the jurisdictional limitations on those not licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the office is located.

(c) The name of a lawyer holding public office shall not be used in the name of a law firm, or in communications on its behalf, during any substantial period in which the lawyer is not actively and regularly practicing with the firm.

(d) Lawyers may state or imply that they practice in a partnership or other organization only when that is the fact.

(e) A trade name may be used by a lawyer in private practice if:
(1) the trade name includes the name of at least one of the lawyers practicing under said name. A law firm name consisting solely of the name or names of deceased or retired members of the firm does not have to include the name of an active member of the firm; and
(2) the trade name does not imply a connection with a government entity, with a public or charitable legal services organization or any other organization, association or institution or entity, unless there is, in fact, a connection.

And the same for Louisiana:

RULE 7.10. FIRM NAMES AND LETTERHEAD posted:

(a) False, Misleading, or Deceptive. A lawyer or law firm shall not use a firm name, logo, letterhead, professional designation, trade name or service mark that violates the provisions of these Rules.

(b) Trade Names. A lawyer or law firm shall not practice under a trade name that implies a connection with a government agency, public or charitable services organization or other professional association, that implies that the firm is something other than a private law firm, or that is otherwise in violation of subdivision (c)(1) of Rule 7.2.

(c) Advertising Under Trade Name. A lawyer shall not advertise under a trade or fictitious name, except that a lawyer who actually practices under a trade name as authorized by subdivision (b) may use that name in advertisements. A lawyer who advertises under a trade or fictitious name shall be in violation of this Rule unless the same name is the law firm name that appears on the lawyer’s letterhead, business cards, office sign, and fee contracts, and appears with the lawyer’s signature on pleadings and other legal documents.

(d) Law Firm with Offices in More Than One Jurisdiction. A law firm with offices in more than one jurisdiction may use the same name in each jurisdiction, but identification of the lawyers in an office of the firm shall indicate the jurisdictional limitations on those not licensed to practice in any jurisdiction where an office is located.

(e) Name of Public Officer or Former Member in Firm Name. The name of a lawyer holding a public office or formerly associated with a firm shall not be used in the name of a law firm, on its letterhead, or in any communications on its behalf, during any substantial period in which the lawyer is not actively and regularly practicing with the firm.

(f) Partnerships and Organizational Business Entities. Lawyers may state or imply that they practice in a partnership or other organizational business entity only when that is the fact.

(g) Deceased or Retired Members of Law Firm. If otherwise lawful and permitted under these Rules, a law firm may use as, or continue to include in, its name, the name or names of one or more deceased or retired members of the law firm, or of a predecessor firm in a continuing line of succession.

To sum up: you have to have the name of a lawyer working for the firm in the firm name...or the name of a retired former firm member. Most of the BIGLAW firms are named for partners long since dead.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

What language would be required for someone to be able to sue a doctor who disregarded the directive? Pick your jurisdiction, really.

Language they doesn’t allow the hc poa and doctors to use their judgment in the case the person can’t communicate

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
7.1 in Texas, pretty similar

quote:

(a) A lawyer in private practice shall not practice under a trade name, a name that is misleading as to the identity of the lawyer or lawyers practicing under such name, or a firm name containing names other than those of one or more of the lawyers in the firm, except that the names of a professional corporation, professional association, limited liability partnership, or professional limited liability company may contain “P.C.,” “L.L.P.,” “P.L.L.C.,” or similar symbols indicating the nature of the organization, and if otherwise lawful a firm may use as, or continue to include in, its name the name or names of one or more deceased or retired members of the firm or of a predecessor firm in a continuing line of succession. Nothing herein shall prohibit a married woman from practicing under her maiden name.

Person has to be dead or retired.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Subjunctive posted:

The number of states where this information is in an easily accessible location for all health care providers (EMS, hospitals, whoever) is far less than 50. Even when we receive people directly from nursing homes in the ER, finding the specifics of their wishes for intervention is surprisingly challenging as it’s hidden in a ream of worthless records of when their last statin was delivered. Add to this the fact that these decisions are far from clear cut and that there is a very significant fear of liability that may result from failing to intervene in a very limited window.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

They never do

i got a lawyer and had a very neutral experience with the whole thing!

E: My lawyer was amazing!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I never became a lawyer, but if I did, my firm would be called "LawMart" and I'd make a killing on divorces and wills.

Nobody can remember the names of all those dead lawyers.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

I never became a lawyer, but if I did, my firm would be called "LawMart" and I'd make a killing on divorces and wills.

Bad news, every state I'm aware of prohibits the use of trade names for your firm, and requires that you use partner names, dead or alive.

A bunch of smaller-type operations (car wreck, insurance, duis) will kind of skirt around this by using a creative domain name for their website, like "LawMart.com" and just advertise the poo poo out of their website as if its the name of their firm.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The rule is explicitly designed to "protect the integrity of the profession" lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
You can use a trade name in Louisiana but it can’t violate the rules in any way, including implying specialization or expertise without meeting the bar requirements for doing so or misleading the public.

If those seem vague to you you probably understand why very few law firms go this route. But don’t worry! Most lawyers are narcissistic megalomaniacs who are happy to have the firm just be their name. Also :decorum:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

blarzgh posted:

Bad news, every state I'm aware of prohibits the use of trade names for your firm, and requires that you use partner names, dead or alive.

Trade names are allowed in the model rules and many states.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To be fair, I'd also be the type of lawyer to incorporate in a foreign country without such silly things as "rules" and "ethics" and tell clients "Here's your paperwork. Sign it and file it at this address." Don't hire me as a lawyer.

Edit: Did I just reinvent LegalZoom?

Double edit: What if I change my last name to LawMart? Or my middle name? I don't see anything saying you can't use your middle name.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 17, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KillHour posted:

You wouldn’t make a killing do divorces and wills for poor people

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think you underestimate the number of people here getting divorced who drive $60k+ pickup trucks and would totally hire a lawyer from LawMart. You don't have to be poor to be trashy.

poo poo, I bet our president would get a divorce from LawMart.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 17, 2018

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

KillHour posted:

I think you underestimate the number of people here getting divorced who drive $60k+ pickup trucks and would totally hire a lawyer from LawMart. You don't have to be poor to be trashy.

poo poo, I bet our president would get a divorce from LawMart.

Trump would absolutely get a LawMart divorce as a photo-op/publicity stunt.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blarzgh posted:

"Red Hot Law Group of blarzgh" and then you advertise like hell as "Red Hot Law Group." Came up in Atlanta in the .com days: https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/1999/11/01/story8.html

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

KillHour posted:

You’d be sued by Walmart for trademark infringement/dilution so goddamn fast.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Good thing I'm a lawyer in this scenario :colbert:

They don't get to own every name ending in "Mart"

Edit: I was gonna buy the domain, but someone already beat me to the exact same idea except with a terrible website: https://lawmart.com

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 17, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

KillHour posted:

They don't get to own every name ending in "Mart"

But they sure can swing their deep pocket balls at anyone else that tries.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

But they sure can swing their deep pocket balls at anyone else that tries.

There are seriously like a million of these everywhere so I kinda doubt it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Not Walmart, but this will give you an idea how petty trademark law can get: https://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-md-new-bae-mccormick-20181212-story.html

Of course they won't sue every -Mart. They'll just sue the ones that get too big for their britches.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 17, 2018

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Try opening Walt's Mart as a grocery store and report back.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But I'm not opening a grocery store; I'm opening a fake law practice. Law is literally in the name, and Mart is a real word in English.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KillHour posted:

But I'm not opening a grocery store; I'm opening a fake law practice. Law is literally in the name, and Mart is a real word in English.

that's why a court will probably find in your favor after years of ruinously expensive litigation

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If I do all my own legal work, it basically amounts to all the free advertisement I could want!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
But is it too similar to the law store, conveniently located within Walmart’s https://thelawstore.com/

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

evilweasel posted:

that's why a court will probably find in your favor after years of ruinously expensive litigation

I mean... depends on the state’s anti SLAPP statute?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It's not a free speech issue.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It's not a free speech issue.

Hence depends on the state and the statute. Some go broader to lawfare in general

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm going to lean on the fact that there is already a non-hypothetical LawMart that presumably hasn't been sued into oblivion to win this argument. Although I hope they do, so I can buy the domain out from under them and post all the Leonard J Crabs letters on it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

I mean... depends on the state’s anti SLAPP statute?

you'd have a real hard time with that as overbroad trademark claims that aren't aimed at chilling speech aren't really covered by any SLAPP law i've ever seen. they just want you as far from their trademark as possible

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Fair.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah that was my point. Maybe some states have very pro-active unfair trade practices laws with similar relief as anti-SLAPP motions but generally SLAPPs involve non-commercial speech on an issue of public interest.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Texas's Anti-SLAPP is so broadly loving written that it probably would apply, and even the Courts of Appeals and Supreme Court have said, explicitly, "holy poo poo, legislature, the way its written there is basically no limit to what it covers."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Problem w UTPA statutes is most say you don’t have standing if you aren’t a “consumer or competitor” so since Walmart isn’t a law firm it may not work.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Texas's Anti-SLAPP is so broadly loving written that it probably would apply, and even the Courts of Appeals and Supreme Court have said, explicitly, "holy poo poo, legislature, the way its written there is basically no limit to what it covers."

coming from the state that couldn't figure out how to draft a workable motion to dismiss, or even a non-workable one before 2011, that does not surprise me

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

coming from the state that couldn't figure out how to draft a workable motion to dismiss, or even a non-workable one before 2011, that does not surprise me

It didn't really surprise anyone here, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Just briefly looking because I was curious but this case

https://law.justia.com/cases/texas/supreme-court/2018/17-0437.html

Seems to say that that the commercial speech exception to the anti-SLAPP law does not apply where the speaker's intended audience includes actual or potential customers of the speaker. I would imagine a company's name by definition is intended to be addressed to potential or actual customers of the company.

Nice language though. "The TCPA's commercial speech exemption is no model of clarity, but we conclude that it is not ambiguous, at least on the issue presented here." Judge-speak for "this statute sucks rear end, looks like we're going to have to spend 5 pages explaining why we are interpreting it correctly."

Bonus points for the Oxford comma argument hahaha