Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
We've been doing a lot of close-contact randori lately where we start with both hands on each other's belts and we can't reposition them. Seems to have gotten people more comfortable with that range and broken some people of their stiff-arming habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sherbert Hoover posted:

We've been doing a lot of close-contact randori lately where we start with both hands on each other's belts and we can't reposition them. Seems to have gotten people more comfortable with that range and broken some people of their stiff-arming habits.

There's an osoto that I learned that comes off of people just stiff arming the crap out of you, and that stopped people from stiff arming me in BJJ.

This setup specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sKpZ1xBIoE

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

There's an osoto that I learned that comes off of people just stiff arming the crap out of you, and that stopped people from stiff arming me in BJJ.

This setup specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sKpZ1xBIoE

I have never loaded a video faster in my life.

Edit: Ok, I've seen Shintaro talk about beating the stiff arm that way before, but I haven't been stepping my feet quite the same way as he is there, so I still choose to believe this will help.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 22, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have never loaded a video faster in my life.

Edit: Ok, I've seen Shintaro talk about beating the stiff arm that way before, but I haven't been stepping my feet quite the same way as he is there, so I still choose to believe this will help.

The way I've been using this setup is a lot of theatrics. I want them to continue stiff arming me, so I attack the arms and grips as if I'm trying to break their grips giving them enough force to think that doubling down is the best option, but not too much force where they'll break their grips willingly. Then I send them for the ride.

Unfortunately now I rarely get reps in standing in bjj because most people at my club outside of the the black belts now just will straight up pull guard when they grip up.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll have to try that. Also, do y'all have a spring board floor? I get pretty sore if I get launched more than a few times, in BJJ.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'll have to try that. Also, do y'all have a spring board floor? I get pretty sore if I get launched more than a few times, in BJJ.

Lolol nope tatami on concrete and yes we take bumps like mad people and I suspect most of us will have shattered backs eventually.

When I go to my judo club its likee a warm vacation because they have a nicely aprung floor and for drilling use crash mats on top so its like being thrown unto a comfy bed.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I got danaher's old and slow dvd and am combining it with Craig's octopus stuff so I can be old slow and strange.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Defenestrategy posted:

congrats on your brown belt. :mummyface:

Now the real work begins, as your fellow brown belts want to kill you so senpai notices them, and black belts stare at you wondering is this guy gonna try to rip my arm off.

Thankfully not--I made a point of rolling with all 10-ish of the other brown belts at open mat the next morning, and all of them were the usual tough-but-not-dangerous intensity. We all know where we stand. :)

Then one of my coaches picked me out and ran the same sequence on me four or five times in a row, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cryMVK1PwuQ

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So there’s this concept in game design that comes from Magic the Gathering called ‘Timmy, Johnny and Spike’ that works out what different players think of as ‘fun’. Timmy likes to play big cards with big numbers even when it might be suboptimal - that’s his idea of fun. He wants to use the biggest spell in the game to do the most damage possible. Spike will just relentlessly copy whatever the current meta is at the top level, because winning is all that matters. Johnny is more creative - he wants to win, but refuses to win the way that other people do - he wants to create a unique deck with a unique win condition, because the self-expression is the fun part to him. They use this concept when they design new cards - they try to make it so that each new set has cards that all three archetypes will enjoy.

I’ve always identified as the last one, especially in BJJ, and my game is kind of a weird mix of things, built mostly around the lucas leite half guard sweeps.

So this week danaher releases a dvd for ‘old, physically compromised athletes’ where he pretty much just lays out my entire gameplan. Which I thought was interesting and unique. So I’m pretty annoyed. But it’s also very funny. Because it means that without consciously realising it, the core thing that links all of my favourite moves is laziness?

He’s tried to put together a gameplan that relies on you having poor agility, flexibility, mobility, strength, etc. I actually have all of that stuff? I’m not physically compromised at all.

This is so funny to me - it’s like a team of scientists sitting around a table have collectively developed the laziest and most annoying jiujitsu imaginable, and by coincidence it’s my exact game. I’m proud of myself, by accident

Unsurprisingly, like many nerds who get into BJJ, I also used to play MTG, and the Timmy/Johnny/Spike approach to game design definitely fits, yeah. The interesting thing about it is that a lot of whatever the current meta is grew out of someone's goofy experimentation--leglocks were considered gimmicky not that long ago in the grand scheme of things, and now pretty much the entire meta of no-gi revolves around them. That's because there's a big competitive advantage to getting really good at something that nobody's seen before, and you'll even see that on a smaller scale at your own gym. Say your coach has an exceptionally good guillotine and also teaches it well; everyone is gonna get a lot of exposure to guillotines and therefore practice at defending them, so if you're a lower belt who randomly decides to make guillotines Your Thing, you're gonna have a tough uphill battle to finish them even on newer people. This is yet another argument in favor of cross-training, BTW.

I think the "old and busted" BJJ being the ultimate distillation of the art has a lot to do with the fact that anyone can teach it to anyone else and have it work, and you can continue to refine it for literal decades. Attribute-specific techniques suffer from the fact that you might have figured out how to make your attributes work for you, but if they're exceptional in any way, what are the odds that you'll run into another person with the same set of attributes that you can teach to capitalize on them, and how long will your inhuman agility or flexibility or whatever last past the age of 30?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Tonight will be my first Gi class in probably over two months. Its been NoGi for me for a while now. This should be fun....

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Xguard86 posted:

I got danaher's old and slow dvd and am combining it with Craig's octopus stuff so I can be old slow and strange.

I love this idea. Godspeed!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Tonight will be my first Gi class in probably over two months. Its been NoGi for me for a while now. This should be fun....

Focus entirely on trying to sweep or sub people with their own belt.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

knuthgrush posted:

Focus entirely on trying to sweep or sub people with their own belt.

I do have some sweeps which involve grabbing the belt, but I dont know any subs involving using the belt. Baret Yoshida's got some subs using the belt from the crucifix position. Maybe Ill try some of those in the future.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I do have some sweeps which involve grabbing the belt, but I dont know any subs involving using the belt. Baret Yoshida's got some subs using the belt from the crucifix position. Maybe Ill try some of those in the future.

warning pro-dick move advice: my gym loves doing things to each other that may be safe but other gyms would heavily frown on.

I have an extra-long belt so the ends tend to hang slightly above my knee loosely. If I get to side control I pull my lapel out as if I'm gonna lapel choke my opponent. I make it extremely obvious when I'm passing it to my opponent, my opponent grabs my lapel to defend, I then grab the end of my belt and pass it through and hit the lapel choke.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

warning pro-dick move advice: my gym loves doing things to each other that may be safe but other gyms would heavily frown on.

I have an extra-long belt so the ends tend to hang slightly above my knee loosely. If I get to side control I pull my lapel out as if I'm gonna lapel choke my opponent. I make it extremely obvious when I'm passing it to my opponent, my opponent grabs my lapel to defend, I then grab the end of my belt and pass it through and hit the lapel choke.

Thats some sneaky poo poo. But I like it...

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Tonight two new white belts on opposite ends of the weight spectrum were battling to the death. At some point they ended up back on their feet and the smaller of the couple sort of jumped guard and just held the larger man (who was still standing) in a full body hug causing the larger man to fart loudly. They both stayed frozen in the embrace not knowing what to do for easily 10-15 seconds and that's one of the best laughs I've had in a long time.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are you guys aware of resources for BJJ strategy/tactics?

I'm not looking for technique videos. I know lots of moves already, and knew ones I can just look up. What I'm more interested in is people linking moves together, without wasting much time going over the details of the techniques. So say using headquarters to attempt a knee cut pass, when uke defends I go for a smash pass, if they defend that I go for an x-pass. These concepts are present in most BJJ videos but that isn't usually the focus. Would love to find a birds-eye-view breakdown of certain positions.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Count Roland posted:

I'm not looking for technique videos. I know lots of moves already, and knew ones I can just look up. What I'm more interested in is people linking moves together, without wasting much time going over the details of the techniques. So say using headquarters to attempt a knee cut pass, when uke defends I go for a smash pass, if they defend that I go for an x-pass. These concepts are present in most BJJ videos but that isn't usually the focus. Would love to find a birds-eye-view breakdown of certain positions.

Unless I'm misunderstanding I don't think this really exists outside of certain instructionals having a small five minute introductory chapter where they explain very quickly the purpose of the video you just bought and the game behind it. I'd love to be proved wrong though, but most if not all instructionals in grappling are "Here is move A and how to do it properly. Here are common counters and responses to move A, here is what you do in those situations" repeat until end.

The closest one I've seen is that years ago 10th planet subs came with a move web for rubber guard.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Jon Thomas' latest videos are more like that

https://www.youtube.com/@JonThomasBJJ/videos

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Count Roland posted:

Here's one I saw recently where Danaher stresses the importance of not merely escaping a pin or submission but instead following smoothly into your own attack. His basic point would be that a LOT (he might say all?) pins and submissions, when escaped, lead to your opponent having their legs extended, and any time someone's legs are extended they're vulnerable. He goes over a few examples, but at least 50% is just Danaher talking about concepts and principles, which he's always good for; he's the reason I started thinking of side control as a series of wedges, which has helped me for years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC66GKalJcU

Edit:

Here's a strategic tidbit of my own:

In BJJ we teach how to escape submissions from their fully developed positions; for example if we're going to practice escaping mount, we first let our drilling partner get all the way into mount and then we work, step by step, to reverse or remove everything about their mount. That's fine, because you do need to practice escaping a fully developed mount, but it can obscure an extremely important aspect of escaping pins in BJJ - that it'll never be easier to escape a pin than at the beginning. The problem is, there's a tendency in BJJ to sort of let things settle down into the iconic drilled positions, because people learn as a white belt that they shouldn't just flail around randomly, but that can also lead to people being a little hesitant to contest transitions when they're in the early, scrambly stages. But that's the best time to do it!

So, do everything you can to stop the opponent at the start of their moves and make sure you're not unconsciously "agreeing" to have the round move from one known position to the next known position.

Edit2:

Oh my god these Jon Thomas videos are fantastic. This one on the closed guard is going straight to the top of my drilling list. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_FBT8ZDSmo

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 27, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I spend a lot of time thinking about strategic thinking in BJJ. I'm more of the opinion that most strategic training is going to be a function of your own attributes and the metagame of your prospective opponents.

So for example I'm usually smaller than my opponents, so I tend to prefer top game or back control, and specifically top attacks that I can spam without the fail state leading to me being on the bottom. This leaves me preferring a lower percentage move that protects my position, such as choosing a north south choke pathway or an arm triangle pathway vs a juju gatame pathway. I'm strategizing around the concept of offering my opponent as few counterattack attack opportunities as possible while I work my own.

The only top level strategic approaches beyond individual game choices are to play "white chess" mode, i.e. to gain initiative and focus on playing as error-free as possible with the highest percentage moves, or the "shootout" mode where you focus on forcing a particular game state and then bet on having a knowledge advantage in that specific game state.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

starkebn posted:

Jon Thomas' latest videos are more like that

https://www.youtube.com/@JonThomasBJJ/videos

Im really liking this guys videos. They are short, simple and to the point about overlooked concepts.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/MMAWretch/status/1642492647255461889

lmao

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi hello. I have not forgotten to do my Grapplehut thing. In fact I will get to it...eventually....maybe this month....

I wrote a full paper but then like a dummy posted it here without considering it may be picked up by webcrawlers (eg. TurnitIn) so had to remove it temporarily.

I am a bad. I'll posted back up later on once the due date for it has passed.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 8, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK here is the thing I wrote and then took down and edited a bit (thanks to CarlCX for the assist and Commonshore for suggesting I take it down until after it was turned in).

In the last Grapple Hut article, I spent a good deal of time discussing curriculum concepts and how they can related to jiu jitsu. It just also happened to coincide with some work I was doing on that topic. This is an edited down analysis I did on a kid’s jiu jitsu program at my last jiu jitsu gym.

You may be asking, “why is this important and why is this worth reading?” The relevance of this paper is that designing a curriculum program is rather tricky and, this is the big part, even more tricky to ensure your students take away the intended learning you’re presenting them. This is a regular issue and problem that plagues most sports, and in jiu jitsu its a common thread of discussion.

So this is an honest and open look at a program I designed and enacted as the teacher and should serve as some food for thought.

Analysis of a Children’s Jiu Jitsu Program Curriculum Implementation

This is an analysis of the implementation of a kid’s jiu jitsu program’s curriculum at my jiu jitsu gym. The program was part of an expansion of classes available for children at my local gym, which we’ll call BJJ School. The curriculum was designed and implemented solely by myself. It was created to be a 16 week long program, with classes taking place two hours per week. The kid’s participating in the program ranged from the age of five years-old to ten years-old and had no prior experience.

When looking at curriculum in the context of a jiu jitsu gym, the intended curriculum takes the form of the specific technique, or system of techniques, to be taught in a set order or chain so as to achieve desired results in a simulated sparring session or competition setting. The intention, in this case, was to achieve the following over the course of the program:

· Learning key English words and phrases (the students were ESL learners).

· Learn specific sequences of jiu jitsu techniques and chains.

· Develop related body mechanics and control.

· Encourage social development with regards to teamwork and discipline.

In the situation I was put in, no curriculum existed at the time of the establishment of the children’s jiu jitsu program, nor was there a curriculum designed for the adult’s program to base a children’s program off of. Therefore a new curriculum, designed by myself, was necessary. The aims for the program were shaped by what the head coach at BJJ School viewed as the base standards. Due to the autonomy given to me, I was also allowed to add in elements from external curriculum such as the Gracie University Bully Proof activities and games, as well as personal guidance via communique with other children’s coaches through a social network of jiu jitsu hobbyists.

Since I was the sole educator, it was my responsibility to track and maintain how effectively the intended curriculum was enacted during the lessons. Unbeknownst to me at the time, my preparation work for each of the training sessions followed the curriculum strategy framework as described by educational researchers Sherin & Drake. To summarize their findings, there are three phases of curriculum strategy; reading, evaluating, and adapting. Reading comes when the instructor reviews the written documents and goals as an overview prior to and during instruction. The evaluating stage comes when a teacher focuses on needs of the learners and deciding if the curriculum is appropriate. The third stage, adapting, happens when the instructor creates, replaces, or omits components from the curriculum during the instruction.

So, prior to each lesson I would review the written curriculum to ensure I knew what the goals for the day. Then, I would determine which of the techniques being focused on would be most suitable using what I understood of the abilities of the students displayed in previous lessons. Finally, I would then adapt the curriculum for that day by typically adding additional steps to the learning process to ensure a more clear line of knowledge was established.

Looking at the experienced curriculum of the students, in jiu jtsu it is typically seen in the form of the child developing a sense of deep understanding on the timing of using specific techniques such as leverage, pressure with their body, and allowing them to complete a desired technique efficiently. In addition to this, experienced curriculum can also apply to the mental and psychological development of the child, such as developing the ability to maintain a calm and focused demeanor during a competition after the experiences of sparring and competing over time. It was observed that the students’ ability to enact specific moves, typically ones the child preferred or found to be easier due to the shape of their body.

When looking at the curriculum, it is important to assess the alignment of goals as stated as part of the intended curriculum. Keeping in mind that there are opportunities for both alignment and misalignment to occur between the Intended-Enacted Curriculum it’s worth pointing out where such issue occurred for further improvements. One area of alignment was that the instruction of the techniques did follow the intended curriculum and its overall plan. For example, “shrimping” was taught as a basic movement and after the first lesson exposed them to it the children were able to competently perform it.

When it came to misalignment however, it noted that pacing and introduction of certain body mechanic techniques were too fast for the children to develop. Mostly in the sense that they were being given information overload. To combat this it became necessary to omit or adapt the curriculum so as to add in additional steps to teaching certain body mechanics.

Another challenge with alignment was the issue of a language barrier existing between myself and the learners. As a native English speaker, one of the intended focuses of the program was to do all instruction in English to allow for exposure to the language for the non-English speaking learners. This goal was mostly met, but there were numerous instances of the students clearly struggling to understand me. In turn this would cause confusion and an inability to perform the technique being shown to them. An example of this is rather than saying “use C grips”, I had to adjust the word choice I was giving the kids to be “Lego hands” as it was a concept they were more familiar with.

The issues with communication weren’t just seen in the intended-enacted curriculum relationship, and can also be seen in the enacted-experienced relationship. At times they struggled to understand and execute the shown techniques effectively. There was a clear lack of comprehension on the specific body mechanics they were asked to perform which would cause a child to struggle and then grow frustrated with.

Despite the misalignment, there were also examples of proper alignment in the enacted-experienced curriculum relationship. This mostly came in the form of the students, during both sparring sessions and in competition, being able to perform several of the techniques they have been taught and had instruction on. There was also alignment between stated goals of the program when the students consistently showed good sportsmanship and behavior while at a competition.

A question you may now ask is, “What can be done to address misalignment?” One solution can be to perform a total reassessment of the curriculum from the start. Because the guidelines that were given were so vague, it implies that further detail may be necessary. Allowing for a more experienced instructor to guide me in the creation of the curriculum could have prevented any issues with introducing overly complicated techniques too early.

Similarly, the choice of focusing on giving instruction only in English to students who do not speak the language may need to be reversed. Teaching someone in their own native language leads to less confusion and breakdown in communication. As I mentioned, there were several issues with the students not understanding the instruction due to not having a strong understanding of English.

There is also an argument to be made that emphasis on the curriculum not being about jiu jitsu techniques per se, but focusing on body movement and body mechanic exercises instead. This is mostly based around research that shows children at certain ages benefit better from focusing exercise on specific body mechanics that a jiu jitsu class would not necessarily focus on. For more information on this I’d recommend you look at Sport For Life’s guidelines. This is an argument I think is valid as there were issues with kids struggling to perform certain body mechanics because they lacked the control or coordination skills needed. So they had to focus on developing those first, which interrupted the learning process of the jiu jitsu technique.

Finally, splitting the classes up from a singular class covering such a wide age range to allowing for multiple classes with each one having a specific age restriction would help. The rationale for this is that it would allow for sparring to occur between participants who are of equal size and strength, and for social development to occur on a more equal level between the students.

To summarize all of this, the process of implementing this program required a lot of work and consideration that, at the time, I was not fully aware of. There are so many theories and concepts at play when it comes to designing and introducing curriculum to a student that not everyone is aware of. While you may think that you want to eliminate any misalignment, that is utterly impossible. No matter what they will happen and there’s genuinely nothing you can do to stop that. However, when it comes to curriculum implementation it’s better to identify where the misalignment happens, why they happen, and what can be done to adjust your curriculum to lessen the negative effects.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 27, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Conversely you could just skip all that and laugh at me for posting such a long post.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mekchu posted:

Conversely you could just skip all that and laugh at me for posting such a long post.

Nah this will be some good reading for me. Im always interested in reading up more on how you build a curriculum to produce decent jits players. I have a system that works to produce fair* individual white and blue belts, but As a mental exercise I've never been able to think up a curriculum that would be useful to most people.

* tournament victories and beating up other white and blue belts.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defenestrategy posted:

Nah this will be some good reading for me. Im always interested in reading up more on how you build a curriculum to produce decent jits players. I have a system that works to produce fair* individual white and blue belts, but As a mental exercise I've never been able to think up a curriculum that would be useful to most people.

* tournament victories and beating up other white and blue belts.

So one thing we can expand this discussion to is simply "why is that the criteria?"

As in, why does a specific instructor put emphasis on using tournament victories as an assessment tool to determine if your curriculum is working or not etc.? What're the motivations/rationale/justification they have and what influences played a role into that choice.

Additionally, what choices are put into the null curriculum (aka stuff that is left out of your curriculum) and what impact does that have on the learning process for the student.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone recommend a good jiu jitsu spot to train in the southern Vermont, NW portion of Mass? I will be looking at real estate in the area and just wondering if there are any good places to drop in and train. Ill also be in Burlington for a day.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mekchu posted:

So one thing we can expand this discussion to is simply "why is that the criteria?"

As in, why does a specific instructor put emphasis on using tournament victories as an assessment tool to determine if your curriculum is working or not etc.? What're the motivations/rationale/justification they have and what influences played a role into that choice.

Additionally, what choices are put into the null curriculum (aka stuff that is left out of your curriculum) and what impact does that have on the learning process for the student.

In my case I use rolling victories as a self assessment tool because I believe if on average the student is doing better or similar to their peers ,sameish weight/height/experience, then what I'm teaching is comparable or better than what other people are teaching. If on average my students where to be worse in rolling to their peers then my teaching methodology might be flawed or I'm leaving out something crucial in what I'm teaching them. For example, if my students are continuously being ankle locked to death obviously I'm either not teaching them how to properly deal with ankle locks, or how I'm teaching the defense flawed. This is only for adults though, for kids the assessment would probably be based on the development of their motor skills vs competition with their peers as they're not done growing either mentally or physically so teaching them a specific jits game outside of bare fundamentals doesn't seem like a good use of time.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Mekchu posted:

Someday I believe you will learn to accept that you make good poasts

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Mekchu posted:

it's a good post

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Got heel kicked in the front of the ribs (like the cartilage, midpoint of ribcage) by a new white belt who was trying to lock in an arm bar. gently caress, that smarts. Debating whether to go to the doctor or not.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

not much a doctor can do about a rib injury except tell you not to train

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Boo. Sigh. Guess I'll save the copay and my time.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tyro posted:

Boo. Sigh. Guess I'll save the copay and my time.

yea, go to the hospital instead and get some opiates.

Stupid war on drugs making it so pcp cant give out sweet pain pills.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grapplehut Huddle, April 2023

First off, apologies for the late release for this month’s newsletter/post. I was very busy with some other writing work (I'm in grad school and its kicking my butt) and fell behind on doing this. One of the works I was doing I already posted and it was about the implementation of a kid's jiu jitsu program at my old gym. That one is very academic and I'm going to be editing it and making it less...nerdy? and will be publishing it to my substack as well as possibly the Fight Island substack (the latter one I'm iffy on). Anyway it relates to some of the discussion below and that's why I wanted to mention it.

THE NEWS

It was announced this past month by the US Anti-Doping Agency that Micael Galvao, 19, tested positive for prohibited substances following the IBJJF World Jiu Jitsu Championships in 2022. Upon reviewing of the case, USADA determined the prohibited substances taken by Galvao were caused by a medication prescribed to him in a therapeutic dose under the direction of a physician. Galvao was found to not have applied for a temporary use exemption and as such was given a one-year period of ineligibility beginning on July 22, 2022.

Dr Rehan Muttalib, a practicing medical doctor and a jiu jitsu competitor commented that this case seems more like he was being supplied the steroids found in his system starting at around the age of 15 or 16 given the information that came out about his usage. To Muttalib, this is “pretty much child abuse.”

Youtube channel MorePlatesMoreDates also weighed in on the situation as found below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j68F9pRZ40

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to steroids so forgive me for keeping it shor with this news summary. From what I can gather, Mica and his dad claim he needed the steroids as part of a medical condition however Muttalib and MPMD both think that is either a lie or at best not necessarily what the steroid he was given addresses.

GOING CRAZY ABOUT CURRICULUM

From the moment I understood the weakness of my jiu jitsu curriculum, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of structured instruction. I aspired to the purity of the blessed textbooks.

For this month, I wanted to not put focus on technique as I have, much like the Adeptus Mechanicus of Warhammer 40,000, gone insane and started to replace parts that are deemed weak and heretical in favor of something I have become fanatical about worshipping. Rather than using machines, I’m more so talking about curriculum. To date I’ve read 18 chapters or articles about the theories and concept of curriculum.

Praise the Omnissiah.

So to begin with, let’s talk about what is curriculum. There’s a misconception that a curriculum is simply the material you are being taught for a specific subject. This is, in most circles these days, pretty much regarded as naive. Curriculum is a whole lot of parts, influences, etc. that are always pushing and pulling on each other and what is or isn’t considered a curriculum is always changing.

So right now as we talk about curriculum and how it relates to the gentle art of systematically replacing our bodies with machines to serve our deity jiu jitsu there are three main areas I’ll talk about today with a few I’ll just gloss over. These are:

Intended Curriculum

Enacted Curriculum

Experienced Curriculum

Typically, curriculum is designed around six main needs that are identified. These are; normative needs, comparative needs, felt needs, expressed needs, anticipated/future needs, and critical needs. To simplify what these needs are let’s apply them to jiu jitsu with an example.

Normative needs - new rule changes created by IBJJF.

Comparative needs - how do you fare against people at the same level of competition as you?

Felt needs - your sees your performance and thinks you’re better suited to pursue X or Y line of learning.

Expressed needs - you go on to find the types of learning as stated by the felt need.

Future needs - predicting what the next level of meta in competition will be.

Critical needs - you realize there’s a huge hole in your game and you must address it.

Intended Curriculum

An intended curriculum is, simply put, “what is meant to be learned as decided by those with the power to dictate the criteria.” This can be as broad as a government goal for students, or as a standardized learning requirements. In effect, the intended curriculum is what the plan is meant to be and what the learner or student is meant to learn. In context with jiu jitsu or combat sports, its what you’re expected to learn and know. Right now as you read this, think to yourself “do I actually know what my coach’s intended curriculum for the belt above mine is?" now ask yourself, “does my coach actually know what the intended curriculum for that progression is?”There are numerous anecdotal stories about how a jiu jitsu coach shows up and doesn’t really have a plan or lesson. This would be an example of not having an intended curriculum available. This has, for the most part, been a thing of the past and more people are recognizing that there is a need for a structured training curriculum and series of goals for the students to be attaining. This can be incredibly granular by defining key learning outcomes for the different levels to qualify moving up to the next rank, or more generic goals. Regardless, each training session does require an intended curriculum and associated pedagogy for the stated learning outcomes to come through. In a sport with limited structure as a worldwide level for such a thing, jiu jitsu coaches then must take up the responsibility of designing curriculum to suit their own intended purposes.

Additionally the intended curriculum can be heavily influenced by outside factors. When applying that to jiu jitsu, it is mostly the culture of learning and the areas of focus. 10 years ago, leg locks were a very niche and limited area of concentration. However over that time the curriculum around teaching leg locks has exploded, in no small part thanks to wild success by the likes of Gordon Ryan and others at a high level set of competition. The dominant culture of jiu jitsu shifted towards adopting leg locks and thus the curriculum of gyms had to shift as well. You see this in most educational institutions that, for better or for worse, heavily rely upon Euro-American centric norms of education as that is the dominant culture. In your own home country, you see this in the form of the dominant culture dictating what shall or shall not be taught and the subcultures having to follow through.

Enacted Curriculum

An enacted curriculum is what the learners are being taught and how they’re being taught. In short, its all the steps the teacher is taking when transferring their knowledge to the learner. Fundamentally, this is an incredibly difficult thing to enforce uniformity in across educators, resources, and so forth. This is, also, where you see a common area in misalignment which I’ll mention later.

When we think about jiu jitsu, the enacted curriculum is more or less how your coach is teaching you the techniques being focused on. What word choices are they making to describe the mechanics? What do they focus more on? What questions arise and how are they addressed? These are all important aspects that related to the transfer of the information your coach is intending to transfer to you.

Experienced Curriculum

Finally we have the experienced curriculum. Unlike the prior two forms of curriculum this one focuses specifically on the student rather than the educator.

Experienced curriculum refers to what the learner actually learns and experiences as part of their education. Think of it like this, the experience curriculum is what the student is able to internalize as a result of their interactions with the educators intended and enacted curriculum.

Let’s apply this to jiu jitsu, or really any form of sport. The experienced curriculum is the skills, techniques or any knowledge the student is able to acquire through the practice of the techniques. “Why did my first attempt at an armbar drill fail? Oh it was because the thumb wasn’t pointing up. I know I need to keep that in mind when applying it next time.” is a good example what we’re getting at. However, experienced curriculum is not just limited to the physical knowledge the student develops but can also apply to their mental and emotional skills. For example, developing composure doesn’t come from pure instruction, but from familiarity and experience in being in such a situation and not to panic the next time you’re in it.

As such, experienced curriculum can vary widely from student to student. Numerous factors affect what a student learns or is able to internalize as they are learning from their coach.

Misalignment in Curriculum

Misalignment is when the process of transferring the knowledge fails. Typically it occurs in one or both of the two main relationships in curriculum. These are the intended-enacted curriculum relationship (eg. is what was intended to be taught actually being taught?) and the enacted-experienced curriculum relationship (eg. are the students taking away the right lessons from what is being taught to them?).

Usually when there’s a misalignment in the intended-enacted curriculum relationship, it comes down to the teacher who is enacting the curriculum deviating from the intended curriculum. This occurs from the teacher’s introducing differences in their enactment as a result of reading (eg. the teacher focuses on the wrong part of what is written in the intended curriculum), evaluating (eg. the teacher determines the quality of the intended curriculum as it applies to their students), or adapting (eg. choosing to omit, replace, or create new parts of the curriculum) the intended curriculum as they teach it.

The second area of misalignment is the enacted-experienced curriculum relationship. There’s a variety of factors in this one and can stem from any of the following reasons: the diversity of learners can undermine the alignment of what is being taught (eg. not everyone is approaching the topic with the same experienced knowledge), learners may appear to learn the curriculum but actually may not even commit to said learning, and several other reasons.

It’s important to note that there is no way to create perfect alignment across all curriculum learning. Instead, its more important (in my view) to identify where the individual learner is struggling the most with taking on the new knowledge being taught to them, and adapting your curriculum to suit their needs.

I hope this opens up some of your views and thoughts on how learning jiu jitsu can be different than what you’re experiencing now, and how you can apply some of these concepts to your own learning. Additionally, in the next installment of the Grapple Hut Huddle I’ll be discussing different forms of pedagogical approaches and how we can ascribe them to jiu jitsu, which may be interesting!

Thanks for reading. As I said I have a substack where I'm also posting most of this stuff if you want easier access to pulling it up rather than searching threads on SA. Additionally, you can just use it to watch my spiral into insanity.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 8, 2023

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tyro posted:

Got heel kicked in the front of the ribs (like the cartilage, midpoint of ribcage) by a new white belt who was trying to lock in an arm bar. gently caress, that smarts. Debating whether to go to the doctor or not.

rib injuries are a bitch. it took months for mine to get better.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Rib injuries fully suck for sure and I hope it heals quickly. My main competition training partner broke his ribs rolling with big dudes a couple weeks ago and I've been winging it to get ready for next weekend.

I'm cornering my coach tonight in a pro grappling fight at an mma promotion. I'm really enjoying the trend of some of these mma promotions having focused bouts for just striking or just grappling. Gonna be weird, though. I've cornered him in small local tournaments when the rest of our coaches+team were already on the mats but nothing like this. His coach and his peers were unable to attend. I'll just yell something like "bring me his teeth" or "break his arm" I guess. Feeling pretty awesome that he asked me to do it, though.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Tyro posted:

The exact same thing happened to me several years ago, and that injury kept me off the mats entirely (couldn't even drill) for longer than anything else has, up to and including a complete PCL tear. Judging by your description, yours is hopefully less severe, but yeah, there's not much you can do besides wait until it stops hurting. :-/

Mekchu posted:

(education effortpost)

Don't have much to add, but these are super interesting from a layperson's perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
gently caress me. That's what I was afraid of.

I moved some bags of mulch around today, it was doable but not fun. Basically it hurts if I have exaggeratedly good posture, sneeze/cough/laugh, sit up from the bed or couch, twist or bend. Or inhale all the way. Hurts a little in the back but mostly in the front. No evident discoloration or swelling.

I'm pissed about not rolling, but actually more upset about having to take a break from weightlifting, I was just getting back into it and making progress.

Oh and I guess I'll have to actually be a lot more strict with my diet to not get fatter if I'm not working out the way I'm used to.

Hooray for being in my 40s, I guess.