Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alhazred posted:

Doom Patrol is still good. But it's a little strange that they apparently can't use the official DC Death but had to make up another character.

which character is replacing death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

Doom Patrol is still good. But it's a little strange that they apparently can't use the official DC Death but had to make up another character.

Should have just said "gently caress it" and literally got the same actress that's gonna be in Netflix's Sandman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're pretty reverential with the Endless

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

They're pretty reverential with the Endless

They had Daniel Dream cameo in Metal or whatever.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 25, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

site posted:

which character is replacing death

A weird spider lady.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Pretty sure she was explicitly identified as an agent of Death.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alhazred posted:

A weird spider lady.

i have been sitting here trying to figure out who you're talking about. the only spider i can remember is Dorothy's friend Herschel?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not being allowed to use an existing character and creating one barely different is severely on brand for Doom Patrol.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

site posted:

i have been sitting here trying to figure out who you're talking about. the only spider i can remember is Dorothy's friend Herschel?

Pretty sure they're talking about the lady whose puke later turned them into zombies. From the Ghost Boy Detectives episode. And as was said, I don't think she was meant to be actual Death.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the Dead Boy Detectives explicitly says that she's not Death.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Open Marriage Night posted:

Pretty sure they're talking about the lady whose puke later turned them into zombies. From the Ghost Boy Detectives episode. And as was said, I don't think she was meant to be actual Death.

ooooooh right

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's just vomit!
Yay!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not being allowed to use an existing character and creating one barely different is severely on brand for Doom Patrol.

Just have it be Willoughby with a cloak and scythe

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Alhazred posted:

It's been a while since I heard this so I'm not actually sure how accurate it is, but apparently Neil Gaiman owns the rights to all* the Endless so anytime DC wants to use them they're legally obligated to ask his permission first.

* Except Daniel Dream since he's technically related to an existing DC character.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It's been a while since I heard this so I'm not actually sure how accurate it is, but apparently Neil Gaiman owns the rights to all* the Endless so anytime DC wants to use them they're legally obligated to ask his permission first.

* Except Daniel Dream since he's technically related to an existing DC character.

He doesn't. DC owns the rights to the Endless.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Having the writers of Doom Patrol create something wholesale rather than using something Neil Gaiman dreamt up sounds like a win/win to me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The thing I have heard about Gaiman and the Sandman characters is that DC owns all the characters and are free to do whatever they want with them but they know Gaiman is a name brand and do it as a professional courtesy to ask/tell him they are using the characters he created. This at least lets them continue to have a good working relationship with Gaiman and his fans. Of course they don't need to tell him or ask for his blessing and I am sure there have been times that they didn't.

edit: found this write up that might explain some things

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/06/how-neil-gaiman-kept-control-of-the-sandman-characters/

Madkal fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 26, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shirkelton posted:

Having the writers of Doom Patrol create something wholesale rather than using something Neil Gaiman dreamt up sounds like a win/win to me.

Yeah, but it is funny that they used the Dead Boy Detective Agency if they can't use Death since their origin is explicitly connected to her.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
In the end, aren't all of our origins explicitly connected to her?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Not unless we're all ghosts?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Alhazred posted:

Not unless we're all ghosts?

Ha ha ha, of course that's not true... ha ha.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Unless …?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Wait.....are you guys not ghosts?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Wait.....are you guys not ghosts?

Well, i'm more of a poltergeist.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure that I'm not a ghost.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Well, i'm more of a poltergeist.

Chicken ghosts still count.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
...i see dead people :ohdear:

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

Chicken ghosts still count.

Yeah, it's the one drop(of ectoplasm) rule.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
poverty ghost

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
I'm on episode 8 of the new season of Stargirl has anyone said eKKKlypso yet?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Young Justice S4 EP4: I've never really liked this version of Conner, from his Baby Hulk origins to his slightly mopey boring guy evolved form, but even I can admit that was a badass way to (seemingly) die (he's probably not actually dead)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Young Justice S4 EP4: I've never really liked this version of Conner, from his Baby Hulk origins to his slightly mopey boring guy evolved form, but even I can admit that was a badass way to (seemingly) die (he's probably not actually dead)

Probably on his way to join the LSH, since they've been nosing around all season and they usually have a Superboy on the team.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

theironjef posted:

Probably on his way to join the LSH, since they've been nosing around all season and they usually have a Superboy on the team.

Its this. If you think Superboy is actually dead when we didn't even see his body, just a vague humanoid-shaped shadowI got a bridge to sell you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Not technically a comic book (well, there's probably an adaptation) but I figure there's overlap in audiences.

Good Omens is getting a second season

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1455565374976495621?s=20

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That was announced a few months ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It has recently started filming.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Arist posted:

That was announced a few months ago.

Well I didn't know and now I'm happy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stargirl is a fun series
The little girl isn't real

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I should catch up on it. I just got behind in everything recently. Only just caught up with Legends and Doom Patrol.

Also there's a crossover centered on Flash soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this season definitely has the feel of covid isolation at times but i enjoyed it. kinda loved that final breakfast teaser. and Keith David next season hell yeah

e: as an aside, i just discovered Batwoman has apparently been back for 4 weeks now lol. guess i need to catch up on that

site fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 5, 2021