Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's a Subaru SVX, looks like the PCV valve is still available. That's actually a good idea, I noticed after that last post that my dipstick popped loose which is either a sign that the rubber is so worn out that it comes loose from driving or positive crankcase pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
2005 Honda Pilot trying to replace the rear trailing arm bushings:

My brain is in knots trying to figure out how to get the old ones outta there. I've been googling for removal tools and haven't found one that matches my model or year.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

scuz posted:

2005 Honda Pilot trying to replace the rear trailing arm bushings:

My brain is in knots trying to figure out how to get the old ones outta there. I've been googling for removal tools and haven't found one that matches my model or year.

I wonder if something like this still might work: https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Rear-Tra...16363317&sr=8-5

The bushing looks an awful lot like the one used on the vehicles it lists as compatible, but the arm is different. That tool looks like it has adjustable jaws, so it might be just enough to work for this application. Outside of that, I think this is either a bring it to a shop and see if they'll press it out and a new one in or get a new arm with a new bushing.

Looking at Rock Auto though, you can also get arms that cost less than the tool. At least that's the case if this is a rear lower trailing arm, so that might be the direction I'd go.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 21, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Who has replaced seatbelts? Bought a used Taco last year and just noticed the brackets holding the rear seatbelts to the floor are rusty as hell.

Only 26k when I bought it. No flood claims. No rust on other surfaces, no water marks or signs of leaking inside.

They have a 5yr/60k airbag + seatbelt warranty I’m going to try and force them to honor since whatever coating on it was clearly ineffective, but I’m kind of expecting them to tell me to gently caress off.

If I force the issue and get nothing I’ll prob do it myself.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LeeMajors posted:

Who has replaced seatbelts? Bought a used Taco last year and just noticed the brackets holding the rear seatbelts to the floor are rusty as hell.

Only 26k when I bought it. No flood claims. No rust on other surfaces, no water marks or signs of leaking inside.

They have a 5yr/60k airbag + seatbelt warranty I’m going to try and force them to honor since whatever coating on it was clearly ineffective, but I’m kind of expecting them to tell me to gently caress off.

If I force the issue and get nothing I’ll prob do it myself.

Are there any sensors or anything in these? You didn't list the year. The only ones I swapped were just simply bolted and it was a very straightforward job.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

StormDrain posted:

Are there any sensors or anything in these? You didn't list the year. The only ones I swapped were just simply bolted and it was a very straightforward job.

It’s a 2016 double cab.

They’re the rears so no sensors. No squib either as far as I can tell—only 120ea or so on Camelback.

Had a hard time finding write ups online for the trim involved and wasn’t sure if anyone here had dug into one.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's a Subaru SVX, looks like the PCV valve is still available. That's actually a good idea, I noticed after that last post that my dipstick popped loose which is either a sign that the rubber is so worn out that it comes loose from driving or positive crankcase pressure.

These 90s cars with narrowband O2 sensors used O2 response to check that the newfangled electronic EGR is actually working. Oil from blowby or other sources mucks that up. The EGR itself is generally bulletproof.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ranzear posted:

These 90s cars with narrowband O2 sensors used O2 response to check that the newfangled electronic EGR is actually working. Oil from blowby or other sources mucks that up. The EGR itself is generally bulletproof.

Thanks. The light went out today so I don't know what the gently caress. The only thing that has changed is I installed a new air filter because the old one was filthy. The light came on after doing a WOT pull onto the interstate, but I don't know what one thing could be wrong that would cause the knock sensor light, the throttle position sensor light, and the EGR light to all come on at the same time from that. I was getting a rough cold idle after that as well but I'm not sure if that went away, and I'm also not sure if that was a symptom or the ECU doing something to protect the engine.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I put my all seasons back on (switching from my winter tires) on the BRZ yesterday and I ran into an issue.

I knew I had one that would be stuck, so I bought 10 new wheel studs. The one that I knew of was on the front driver.

The other 3 were from the back passenger, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I don't use anything mechanical to put the lugs on, just a tire iron and then a torque wrench to get them to spec.

I have a theory, but I don't know if it makes sense.
I think I (or a tire shop) crossthreaded a lug on at one point. That stud, having been screwed up, screwed up a good lug nut, and in the course of swapping them out, the other studs got damaged by good lugs.

I don't know if the hardness of the studs vs. the lugs makes that impossible, but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause 3 on the same wheel to fail.

The third one that I did looked fine, but started to bind up a bit when I tightened it. When I tried to take it back off it decided to completely seize and then broke off.

So it was loving annoying, but please tell me if I'm doing something obviously wrong so I don't have to do this again.

I've seen multiple posts saying subaru studs suck, but I didn't expect this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Once the threads in a lugnut get chowdered, they're gonna gently caress up the studs too. And vice versa. You can usually rethread the studs if you catch it in time, but that still requires buying a tool.

I need to replace 2 studs on my car too (one is already broken off, the other will very likely break off when I remove the wheel again... and I need new tires). AFAIK the rear axles have never been out on mine, and it's a very early 2003 (built 5/02 - also Subaru), so it'll be... interesting getting the hub off. I have 5 new studs and lugnuts. Kinda tempted to just order the complete wheel bearing/hubs for a 2005, apparently that bolts right in (one piece hub/bearing vs the multi-piece poo poo I have now, and one of the rear ones is a little noisy). Still gotta deal with getting the axle out..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 22, 2021

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

nitsuga posted:

I wonder if something like this still might work: https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Rear-Tra...16363317&sr=8-5

The bushing looks an awful lot like the one used on the vehicles it lists as compatible, but the arm is different. That tool looks like it has adjustable jaws, so it might be just enough to work for this application. Outside of that, I think this is either a bring it to a shop and see if they'll press it out and a new one in or get a new arm with a new bushing.

Looking at Rock Auto though, you can also get arms that cost less than the tool. At least that's the case if this is a rear lower trailing arm, so that might be the direction I'd go.
Yeah, that was definitely an option, except I already purchased the new poly bushings for the rear end. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go that route. I gave up yesterday and bought a blow torch and new hacksaw blades so we'll see how far this gets me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The answer is to replace all the studs and nuts at once, TBH. Or at least when taking them off, set any crunchy or gummy feeling ones aside and sharpie the end of the stud they came from and replace all of those studs and nuts. It's usually pretty cheap and I just do them all at once... In fact that's the last thing I did on my truck, because the rear studs were all rusty and the lugnuts were fighting me every time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Years ago on my Corolla, I had stupid fuckin 'tuner' lug nuts than basically used an Allan socket rather than a regular hex poo poo for my winter rims. One day whilst doing something that required all four wheels off at broke 19 of my 20 studs just trying to get them bitches off. I broke the last one on purpose because gently caress it. Luckily it was Saturday and the dealer had studs and nuts in stock.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

scuz posted:

Yeah, that was definitely an option, except I already purchased the new poly bushings for the rear end. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go that route. I gave up yesterday and bought a blow torch and new hacksaw blades so we'll see how far this gets me.

Yeah, I live in the rust belt, so it’s easily replaceable bushings only for me. Anything else I’d either pay someone to do it or replace the entire part depending.

Way back when I tried changing those bushings on my del Sol I stripped one of the rear toe adjustment bolts, and I was just plain lucky I had a shop that was willing to fix that.

Anyway, good luck. I think a torch and hacksaw ought to do it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

nitsuga posted:

Yeah, I live in the rust belt, so it’s easily replaceable bushings only for me. Anything else I’d either pay someone to do it or replace the entire part depending.

Way back when I tried changing those bushings on my del Sol I stripped one of the rear toe adjustment bolts, and I was just plain lucky I had a shop that was willing to fix that.

Anyway, good luck. I think a torch and hacksaw ought to do it.

It DID do it, but the spendy fancy bushings I got aren't the right size. I got em all pressed in and everything but the tabs don't line up with the mounting holes on the body. Completely defeated, ordering those arms so that my car can go back together.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

scuz posted:

It DID do it, but the spendy fancy bushings I got aren't the right size. I got em all pressed in and everything but the tabs don't line up with the mounting holes on the body. Completely defeated, ordering those arms so that my car can go back together.

👎

101 reasons I don’t like replacing bushings.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

nitsuga posted:

👎

101 reasons I don’t like replacing bushings.

It totally loving sucks. I lost my goddamned mind trying to figure out how to get that stupid motherfucker outta there. The MAPP gas torch wasn't hot enough to burn the rubber out of it so I had to use a chisel to basically perforate the rubber enough to bash it out with a 4-pound mini-sledge. I'm very much not looking forward to figuring out how to disconnect that parking brake cable that goes through the arm tho.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
After spending hours trying to remove my leafspring bushings I ended up angle grinding through the actual leaf spring spring to make enough room to make the four cuts with an angle grinder to get a single bolt out. gently caress bushings.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'd swear sometimes rust and rubber, vulcanize together and become one lovely pile of rusty rubbery poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wondering if anyone can figure this out because I can't lol.

The hood latch on my car ('15 Scion xB) is not holding the hood snug, I can move it up by hand about a 1/4 of an inch, and at speed on the interstate I can watch it bouncing up and down. When i pull the hood latch it doesn't "pop" at all but releases the lock, so it seems to lock properly but it's a bit concerning especially on the interstate because I'm just waiting for it to fly up in my face.

The latch itself does have a small bit of adjustability (maybe an eight of an inch) so I tried lowering it and raising it and there was no difference either way. There is some slack at the end of the cable where it attaches to the latch but I'm not sure if that matters or not.

Is there anything I'm missing? I feel like it's something obvious right in front of my face but these days my brain doesn't work as well as it used to.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wondering if anyone can figure this out because I can't lol.

The hood latch on my car ('15 Scion xB) is not holding the hood snug, I can move it up by hand about a 1/4 of an inch, and at speed on the interstate I can watch it bouncing up and down. When i pull the hood latch it doesn't "pop" at all but releases the lock, so it seems to lock properly but it's a bit concerning especially on the interstate because I'm just waiting for it to fly up in my face.

The latch itself does have a small bit of adjustability (maybe an eight of an inch) so I tried lowering it and raising it and there was no difference either way. There is some slack at the end of the cable where it attaches to the latch but I'm not sure if that matters or not.

Is there anything I'm missing? I feel like it's something obvious right in front of my face but these days my brain doesn't work as well as it used to.

We had that happen, or similar, to a couple first get tundras at work. I believe the solution was to clean as much crud off the latching mechanism and lubing the poo poo out of it.
How does the hood itself sit? does it look like its sitting lower than normal? I'm not sure what they are like on my 09 Toyota product, but sometimes the little bumpers that the hood sits on while its down can back off, so when the hood is down, its not sitting on top of them, which might cause it to wiggle a bit.
Most that I've seen can be twisted to raise up or down a bit.
Like I said, I've never paid attention to them on my own car but that might be something to check for.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

I put my all seasons back on (switching from my winter tires) on the BRZ yesterday and I ran into an issue.

I knew I had one that would be stuck, so I bought 10 new wheel studs. The one that I knew of was on the front driver.

The other 3 were from the back passenger, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I don't use anything mechanical to put the lugs on, just a tire iron and then a torque wrench to get them to spec.

I have a theory, but I don't know if it makes sense.
I think I (or a tire shop) crossthreaded a lug on at one point. That stud, having been screwed up, screwed up a good lug nut, and in the course of swapping them out, the other studs got damaged by good lugs.

I don't know if the hardness of the studs vs. the lugs makes that impossible, but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause 3 on the same wheel to fail.

The third one that I did looked fine, but started to bind up a bit when I tightened it. When I tried to take it back off it decided to completely seize and then broke off.

So it was loving annoying, but please tell me if I'm doing something obviously wrong so I don't have to do this again.

I've seen multiple posts saying subaru studs suck, but I didn't expect this.

Weird, I had a problem with my brz a couple years ago where I had 3 or 4 studs break when I changed out of wheels. I replaced them with aftermarket parts instead of oem and haven't had any issues since.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

wesleywillis posted:

We had that happen, or similar, to a couple first get tundras at work. I believe the solution was to clean as much crud off the latching mechanism and lubing the poo poo out of it.
How does the hood itself sit? does it look like its sitting lower than normal? I'm not sure what they are like on my 09 Toyota product, but sometimes the little bumpers that the hood sits on while its down can back off, so when the hood is down, its not sitting on top of them, which might cause it to wiggle a bit.
Most that I've seen can be twisted to raise up or down a bit.
Like I said, I've never paid attention to them on my own car but that might be something to check for.

This is my thought as well. I had this happen on a Ford Explorer and adjusting the rubber hood bumper stop things upward reduced it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

This is my thought as well. I had this happen on a Ford Explorer and adjusting the rubber hood bumper stop things upward reduced it.

Do this. Adjust those and the hood latch to keep the hood flush with the bodywork.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

skipdogg posted:

cursedshitbox posted:

Do this. Adjust those and the hood latch to keep the hood flush with the bodywork.

This was it, I knew it was something simple lol. Thanks guys.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Pro tip for you all

Between finding out your strap wrench is too big for your filter and jamming a screwdriver in it because the shops are shut and you need the car tomorrow... don't forget which way is clockwise.

And if you break your screwdriver "loosening" it, stop because you're doing something wrong.

I now have a gouge 180 degrees around it so can't try the screwdriver trick again to loosen it.

I was going to screw 2 screws into the end of the filter to slot a lever in but decided instead of making a bad job worse I'd just beg a ride and buy a smaller strap wrench.

Also, taping sockets inside your strap wrench to decrease the diameter doesn't work.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Glad I'm not the only moron who constantly fucks up clockwise and anticlockwise.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty has served me well through the years.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Bajaha posted:

Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty has served me well through the years.
Yeah but then add in laying on your back staring up at a thing thats facing a certain way and all your axis start blending together.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cage posted:

Yeah but then add in laying on your back staring up at a thing thats facing a certain way and all your axis start blending together.

"OK, if I were in a position where I could look at this thing straight on and could fit a wrench over it with the handle pointing up, which direction of rotation would be 'left' and which would be 'right'?"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What of it's left-hand threaded though... And optionally, you don't know that

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i mean you can't tell (unless you know through other means) that anything is lefty threaded even if you can look at it straight on

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Deteriorata posted:

"OK, if I were in a position where I could look at this thing straight on and could fit a wrench over it with the handle pointing up, which direction of rotation would be 'left' and which would be 'right'?"

Ok, got it.

Which one is my right hand again?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Outrail posted:

Ok, got it.

Which one is my right hand again?

Yeah, my problem is that I can usually visualize it just fine, but then lose track of it when I go back to reality.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I physically do the right hand rule, put my thumb on the thing I'm turning, and curl my fingers in the direction that it tightens.

The only time I can remember screwing it up was putting my ratchet in the wrong direction and not realizing right away because of the upside down and backwards situation.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

Especially with beer and/or weed in you

Pedals on bikes always gently caress me up that way because one of them is threaded backwards and I can't ever remember which one :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Pedals on bikes always gently caress me up that way because one of them is threaded backwards and I can't ever remember which one :v:

The one that would loosen on it's own while you're riding the bike if it wasn't.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Some people apparently don't have the ability to do this. Like if I say "picture a rose," you can probably picture a rose in your head. Now I say okay, turn it over and look at the cut bottom of the stem. Now look closely at one of the thorns. Now flip it to look at the top and open up the petals and look inside. Now slow slowly spin it 360 degrees.

Most people can do that sort of mental three-dimensional rotation at least to some extent, but some cannot. It's just a brain thing.

There's a further version of this phenomenon called congenital aphantasia where the person has no ability to picture things visually in their head. You say "picture a rose" and they can think of all the things that are associated with roses, like the color red, the smell of it, the romantic connotations, etc but have no image of it. This too it turns out is not that uncommon; the discussion came up in YOSPOS and a handful of posters there suddenly discovered that that's how their brain works. It's actually highly linked to face blindness, which goons all famously have.

So yeah I can appreciate that some people may not be able to grasp the three-dimensional transformation required to understand unscrewing an upside down oil filter and have to literally put their face on the ground in front of it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Motronic posted:

The one that would loosen on it's own while you're riding the bike if it wasn't.

Yes, but the average person's intuition on why it unthreads might be backwards. And if you're using a hex wrench as opposed to a pedal wrench, you're turning the nut from the back side as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just hold the wrench still and "pedal" backwards - that's gonna be how it comes off.