Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of Contrasts paints, Duncan uploaded a video about them today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJGqInWb2yo
The main thing I got from this that I probably been applying them incorrectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Cooked Auto posted:

Speaking of Contrasts paints, Duncan uploaded a video about them today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJGqInWb2yo
The main thing I got from this that I probably been applying them incorrectly.

The hardest lesson I had to learn since I started using contrast more heavily is to just stop loving with it once it's on the model.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I just need to be more even in the application in my case. Even if the splotchy stuff can look good in some cases like I thought it did with the lizardmen I painted using it last month. Just never been able to get smooth coverage with it because I apply it like normal paint.
As far as I can remember the official GW guides never really mentioned that.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So before COVID-19 gave us safe at home, my FLGS was doing a painting competition for those of all skill levels, and i thought what better way to mark like my first six months of painting than by entering. I don't know if the contest is still going to occur since the deadline was April 30th and Wisconsin just extended our safer at home to the end of May, but I thought I would share it here.

He was mostly done with contrast paints, with Flesh Tearers and Blood Angel Red on the body, Fyreslayer flesh for the arms, and magos purple for the wings. Everything else was done with basic paints. I like how he turned out. He hasn't been varnished yet, so if anyone has any suggestions I could easily add more paint. I don't really play tabletop D and D, so unless I have him as a "count as" for 40k, I was probably going to just use him as a display piece.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
I am at a crossroads - how do I do the armor on my magnus?

full?

half?

minimal?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Two Headed Calf posted:

Go nipple horns or go home.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Go nipple horns or go home.

My vote is for the inverse half armor where he has the chest plate with the nipple horns but he's also not wearing pants.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

My vote is for the inverse half armor where he has the chest plate with the nipple horns but he's also not wearing pants.

This guy gets it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Two Headed Calf posted:

full?

half?

minimal?

Half, imo

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What if you drilled into the chest and embedded magnets and then green puttied some new titty flesh to cover it? Removeable tit horns.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Crosspost from the 40k thread:

JackMann posted:

I've finally finished Ghaz!

However, I'm terribly sorry to announce that it is not entirely lore compliant. I've painted him up with red armor instead of black armor, and only a bit of black and white checks. I realize that this will upset certain members of the community, and all I can say is that I hope one day to atone for my awful sin of not adhering 100% to the lore exactly as presented by GW, (not counting the bits presented by GW that members of the community disagree with, of course).

I'm pretty happy with how his face came out. That's probably one of the best eyes I've ever done.

Used contrast paints to give the barrel a bit of heat discoloration. Not the best job, but I'm getting better at it.

Anyone else remember when we were wondering what the backpack meant in the rumour engine? I was thinking Big Mek with KFF, but I'm not disappointed with the model we got.

The one gold claw really helps draw some attention to the hand, I feel.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What about full armour but leave his trailing leg bare?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I say go with this look. Full chaos.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Brock Samsonite posted:

Stop eating it then, brushlicker.

Olive oil costs just as much as nuln oil.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I say go with this look. Full chaos.

:five:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Two Headed Calf posted:

I know everyone hates the nipple horns but unarmored he's just kind of boring and plain for such a huge mini imo, I'd go full armor.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

kitbash the horns to have space marine helmets impaled on them

mccnaol
May 26, 2018
Just finished painting the first lot of troops choice for Ragnar's Company whilst waiting for the model to arrive.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

mccnaol posted:

Just finished painting the first lot of troops choice for Ragnar's Company whilst waiting for the model to arrive.

Subbed to your insta

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

I know everyone hates the nipple horns
[citation needed]

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
nipple horns unironically own. chaos are the villains of the setting, and like true villains their greatest strength is in presentation

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

[citation needed]

I feel like every time that miniature came up there'd be a page of bitching about the nipple horns. But that was mostly a year or two ago so maybe positions have evolved. I'm pretty neutral re: nipple horns, but overall I think he's too plain bare chested.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
literally all the models shown in the new warhammer preview are so good

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Hey NZ PaintGoons, where do you buy your brushes?

I'm really struggling to find anyone who can replace my aging Delta and Vallejo red sables.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

dmnz posted:

Hey NZ PaintGoons, where do you buy your brushes?

I'm really struggling to find anyone who can replace my aging Delta and Vallejo red sables.

Just pop into a Gordon Harris and get some Da Vinci’s and W&Ns (when they’re open, their shipping takes literally forever even outside lockdown), otherwise use mighty ape?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Im an oz goon but Jackson art supplies in the uk delivers down our way. I recommend raphael and winsor newton series 7s.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Raphael's are the way and the truth :catholic:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

There are no others

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Amen.

For content, here's some ganger dudes and ladies I just finished.

painted with 8404s

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
5x 8404's ordered, thanks goons!

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Yeast posted:

Amen.

painted with 8404s

These are really nice and fun. Are they test models for full gangs or can you like get a grab bag of gangers somewhere?

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
I've been using two dozen brushes that I got from Hobby Lobby for like 3 dollars and a single GW small layer brush for the last six or seven years and they're still going fine.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Brock Samsonite posted:

These are really nice and fun. Are they test models for full gangs or can you like get a grab bag of gangers somewhere?

Just tests for now, I'm hoping to paint a couple gangs during the quarantine, but haven't decided which yet. Probably either the Cawdor or the Delaque

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I am continuing through my backlog, this time with some more Pathfinders.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Yeast posted:

Amen.

painted with 8404s

That green dude owns, looks really Bitmap Brothers*, got the colours you used for him?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeast posted:

Just tests for now, I'm hoping to paint a couple gangs during the quarantine, but haven't decided which yet. Probably either the Cawdor or the Delaque

I say Cawdor, I've always had a soft spot for the crazy monks. Those hoods are too cool.

The new Delaques don't really speak to me, I like the old-school cyberpunk feel of the 90s versions a lot more.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

That green dude owns, looks really Bitmap Brothers*, got the colours you used for him?

For sure.

The flesh workup:

And the green

KozmoNaut posted:

I say Cawdor, I've always had a soft spot for the crazy monks. Those hoods are too cool.

The new Delaques don't really speak to me, I like the old-school cyberpunk feel of the 90s versions a lot more.

Our country recently announced lockdown for another 4 weeks, so I might just do both :)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

i am about to base three inceptors and was wondering if the flight stands are as bad as they look? If so would a magnet work to fix them or it is easier to drill and pin them to a piece of wall (cork)?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Does spray on primer expire? I have a ~4 year old Army Painter bottle I was thinking of using. It was already opened and partially used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Does spray on primer expire? I have a ~4 year old Army Painter bottle I was thinking of using. It was already opened and partially used.

Dunno, but just test it on some sprue or and old model you dont care about to find out.