Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D_Smart posted:

heh yeah, though I find it VERY HARD to believe, I wrote up my thoughts on this.

I honestly think if Amazon has properly taken over this project they could get a game out of the door - but my prediction you quoted is actually just a copy paste of the "Freelancer" wiki page with some words changed ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

but my prediction you quoted is actually just a copy paste of the "Freelancer" wiki page with some words changed ;)

Yeah I know; that's why I piggy-backed on it because that's pretty much what will happen if this rumor proves to be true.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

heh yeah, though I find it VERY HARD to believe, I wrote up my thoughts on this.

I like to think that there is at least one person that actually reads your blogs and follows all of the links to your other blogs each time, and since they are so long he has forgotten he has already read them while caught in the infinite loop of you being self referential and it's like some really horrific episode of The Twilight Zone where the morale is something about being careful what you wish for.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheAgent posted:

I mean, IN MY OPINION

Was I the only person who read this?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:ssh: the thread is more fun when it starts to run out-of-control with baseless speculation

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Lack of Gravitas posted:

:ssh: the thread is more fun when it starts to run out-of-control with baseless speculation

This thread is as much grounded in reality as the development of Star Citizen.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Why would you be embarrassed about it?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lack of Gravitas posted:

oh no our thread credentials might get revoked because speculation didn't pass a peer review process

What will the shitposting community think of us? Our reputation?!?!

also Star Citizen is entirely baseless speculation, especially by Chris Roberts

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What have I missed, is the game dead yet, is Ben still alive somehow, etc.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

I read it too. But sometimes it's just fun to see where the rabbit hole goes.

Space Crabs posted:

What will the shitposting community think of us? Our reputation?!?!

"Me? The fifteenth Duke of Wimbourne, alone in a sixth form girls dormitory? Whatever were they thinking?"

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Screenshotted for posterity.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Theory :

Amazon care nothing about SC, Crobblers & Co.

What they are after is the large pool (300+) of semi-talentend (some are probably very talented but yet unknow) people working in those 4+ studios. They see a art house pool that, if correctly managed, can pump out reskins and iteration of a basic open world game time and time again, like Ubisoft does for open world or EA for sports.

They are not in a partnership to enable SQ 42, they are in to get some of the entry level talent CIG has soaked up around the globe that will probably be in its "prime" (5+ years of experience but still able and willing to work 70h in a week) in a year or two.

Crobblers & co will sell and sail to the Islands on a money boat while the backers will have paid 30k to play "Assassin Citizen 42" mixed with "World of Star Squadron".

Scruffpuff posted:

No, but CIG is getting more and more quiet these days and the thread has not a had a good leak in a while, so we amuse ourselves with mad ramblings. Those posts have as much value as things like milestones, deadlines and production timeline to CIG eyes.

Most open dev ever !

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 15, 2017

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
i'll :toxx: if Amazon becomes the official publisher (as in owner) of star citizen.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
The craziest thing is that I can see Amazon actually buying this poo poo heap of waste but they would have paid literally nothing to take over it, like not even the amount the dumbass who thought buying Midway and their debts for in 2008.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

get an amazon refund and buy something good

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Remember that CIG is not a company that has made $150,000,000 in profit over the last 5 years. They are a company with a $150,000,000 worth of unfulfilled pre-orders.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

I could see amazon offering next to nothing and cig accept just to be free and then dissapear/hide away with what they have stashed. Amazon gets an insane whale list to market to and can grab some staff.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

There is no justice in this world, only outcomes.

If the Amazon thing is legit I hope they allow the citizen cons to continue. Citcon 2018 hype.

There's really no lose situation if it is or isn't, other than the eventual disavowment from Amazon after they realize it's a hopeless waste of resources. Or they cut it down to something realistic (Freespace with pretty graphics) and release it.

Looking forward to the Roberts announcement of "It is exactly as I had envisioned it!"

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

boviscopophobic posted:

Screenshotted for posterity.

I love these kind of Glassdoor reviews. They tell you a lot about the caliber and maturity of the people they're hiring.

Pros: good snacks. Comfy chairs
Cons: worked to death like a slave camp. Management is a collection of monkeys throwing poop everywhere or micromanaging a bomber jacket for 8 hours straight.

3 out of 5 stars.

The fact that the tech industry has convinced people that food and liquor are worth enough to offset terrible working conditions and long hours is so sad. Figure out what's important in life, nerds!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nicholas posted:

Remember that CIG is not a company that has made $150,000,000 in profit over the last 5 years. They are a company with a $150,000,000 worth of unfulfilled pre-orders.

Amazon isn't looking to invest in a company, they're looking to break into the pc gaming market in a huge way and are happy to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at that cause. They look at Steam and say "we could be doing that".

I'm not saying they have done it, but if anyone is going to it's them. It fits their plan to throw money at it to become a big player immediately.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Also if Chris and Sandi and Erin got fired tomorrow this was all technically a big success for them. They built a giant company from nothing and sold it, while making their family millions of dollars richer.

On a personal level, due to gross mismanagement, huge amounts of nepotism, and self rewarding failure, the Roberts are hugely successful. This was a great thing for them. Landing successful.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Amazon swooping in to Freelancer Star Citizen would genuinely be a great day for the world. The mental backflips could power the world for years, if only we could harness them.

The project will be saved if:
-all mocap is thrown out
-all ships are scrapped and designed anew
-CR is removed as artistic director so things can finally look cohesive and nothing can be unapproved after the fact
-CR being removed from all aspects actually

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Nicholas posted:

Truth , people only see the 150 million and forget the back end

The company I work for posted earnings of 300 million last year, and 23 million in profits

To run a company that big takes a lot of money, and to actually turn a profit is very difficult.

The day we get to see the cig Financials will be glorious , they spent how much in 1st class flights for the month of January???

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

The Titanic posted:

On a personal level, due to gross mismanagement, huge amounts of nepotism, and self rewarding failure, the Roberts are hugely successful. This was a great thing for them. Landing successful.

*ship does not move* LAUNCH COMPLETE. LANDING COMPLETE.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

https://twitter.com/perforce/status/837822529318367232

90 TB of data and 23 million files versioned successfully, within one central repo

Ripped off Star Trek. "Their delivering..". Just a glance. I'm sure there's more but I don't want to actually read a page full of lies.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nicholas posted:

i'll :toxx: if Amazon becomes the official publisher (as in owner) of star citizen.

Not toxxing but I'm calling shenanigans as well. There's nothing in this for Amazon that could justify dumping $150 million plus the other $100 million or so that would take to unfuck this dumpster fire only to end up with a lovely 2020 Freelancer.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Space Crabs posted:

On the assumption this is true it means I'll get toxxed on my April to October prediction for collapse.

However, :colbert: It means I was probably right if they took the desperation move of admitting Chris Roberts is an idiot and bringing in a publisher they had to see that it was either that or failure.

If this is true I wonder how long it would be until the news comes out, because that should actually cause a refund cascade since this entire project has been "Anti Publisher" from the start and the huge selling point was that there would be no publisher.

I'm sure some backers can rationalize this away just like every other disastrous development but a publisher having to be brought on board and proving the company was about to fail should be as big, or bigger, than announcing a console release for "The Epitome of PC Gaming."

This is pretty much best case for backers. If true they'll actually get a game. even if it isn't the game they wanted or paid for. But finding a publisher to take over from Chris Roberts who is willing to eat a huge loss of their own money? Something is coming out now.

Bonus points that backers can argue this away just like Freelancer having to be rescued by a publisher.

The publisher will be kept hidden as long as humanly possible as part of open development. Once they are backed into a corner and have no other ways to escape it'll be "oh yeah well we always had a publisher it was just under a different title internally so we didn't think it was a big deal. It's not a big deal to us and not a big deal to you. Buy more ships."

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Trillhouse posted:

The fact that the tech industry has convinced people that food and liquor are worth enough to offset terrible working conditions and long hours is so sad. Figure out what's important in life, nerds!

My grandparents were peasants, although no one ever got enough pay to feed their families and half my uncles/aunts died of malnutrition and disease before they were 10 the landowners always made sure everyone had as much wine as they could drink during the work day. They were especially encouraged to "drink and be merry" near the end of the day. You see, the ensuing domestic violence was a bonus as it allowed the workers to vent their despair and frustration on someone weaker without ever questioning why it was that everyone lived their whole lives with literal starvation wages while the landowners lived in conspicuous luxury.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 15, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's too late now for a publisher, no one is going to swoop in and rescue CIG because there is no upside. Someone earlier posted that it's not 150 million in income, it's 150 million in preorders. The vast majority of the money CIG is going to get they've already got and now they have nothing left but to deliver those orders.

No one with the kind of money needed to rescue CIG is going to be stupid enough to buy something with no potential return.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

It's too late now for a publisher, no one is going to swoop in and rescue CIG because there is no upside. Someone earlier posted that it's not 150 million in income, it's 150 million in preorders. The vast majority of the money CIG is going to get they've already got and now they have nothing left but to deliver those orders.

No one with the kind of money needed to rescue CIG is going to be stupid enough to buy something with no potential return.

Bezos is an original kickstarter backer tho

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
why are people still talking about amazon buying star citizen when the agent wrote in my opinion after he said that stuff? its like you all just ignored the fact that its bullshit just to theorycraft why its so bad. the thread is bad again.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

His reputation was being one of the most sane game developers on usenet before SA turned him into a blogging, doxing, lawsuit threatening lunatic.

I was there when he was sane.

People would be all: "Derek, I don't think your battlecruiser game is good."

And DS would be all: "Oh jolly good, spud! Why it does look like there are improvements I can make! Here's what I'll do to make my game better for you, dear concerned player!"

And then there was SA and it's never been the same since.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I literally can't believe all this amazon

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Goobs posted:

why are people still talking about amazon buying star citizen when the agent wrote in my opinion after he said that stuff? its like you all just ignored the fact that its bullshit just to theorycraft why its so bad. the thread is bad again.

1. It's funny as gently caress to think about someone buying this mess while the average shitizen thinks unironically it will happen

2. Amazon are the only ones that would be willing to take on the debt.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Goobs posted:

Quick everyone, we've displeased Goobs by discussing the hypothetical possiblity of a leak like we always have

QUICK, CHANGE SUBJECT!!! All of the exciting things that are happening with Star Citizen that Goobs needs to be entertained are being left on the table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd0fBXwDBmo

That's better

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Trillhouse posted:

Your first job handing out food and liquor is a perk, believe it or not. Healthcare, pshaw, who needs that after college.

End up in the crusty halls of commercial development and believe me, we want to know that someone can replace our knees in the next five years. We see a lot of that startup culture around the offices, but we care less about the free beer and/or food.

MeLKoR posted:

Not toxxing but I'm calling shenanigans as well. There's nothing in this for Amazon that could justify dumping $150 million plus the other $100 million or so that would take to unfuck this dumpster fire only to end up with a lovely 2020 Freelancer.

Amazon wired their S3 uptime indication to S3. Don't discount the sheer power of the tax writeoff coupled with some press. Think Sony and No Man's Sky.

Could be shenanigans, however.

Goobs posted:

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Space Crabs posted:

Quick everyone, we've displeased Goobs by discussing the hypothetical possiblity of a leak like we always have

QUICK, CHANGE SUBJECT!!! All of the exciting things that are happening with Star Citizen that Goobs needs to be entertained are being left on the table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd0fBXwDBmo

That's better

keep getting defensive over the dumbest poo poo on the internet, it looks reallll good on you.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
More exciting news on the Star Citizen front everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIIuR-HjFho

Cease your feckless and baseless speculations this instant.

Goobs posted:

keep getting defensive over the dumbest poo poo on the internet, it looks reallll good on you.

Did you get lost on the way to another website? That's like telling people to quit arguing about comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Space Crabs posted:

More exciting news on the Star Citizen front everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIIuR-HjFho

Cease your feckless and baseless speculations this instant.

Did you get lost on the way to another website?

who are you even?