Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah to a certain extent you can get hung up on What Is This Character's Journey when that doesn't always need to be a thing. Not every single character in an ensemble needs to be on that road.

And her just wanting to see her friend again is fine motivation from my perspective. Whether you ship 'em or not he's an important part of her life (along with, you know, the whole tribe she was matriarch of) and she doesn't like to be cut off from that. And it'd be nice for her friends too, I'm sure Thancred would want to visit Ryne again and embarrass her in front of her gf, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also it isn't like she doesn't deal with embarrassment or missteps aplenty. She is the butt of so many jokes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
She is like Spock, in that her being aloof and cool and above it all makes it so easy to rag on her.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Here's some Y'shtola headcanon if you feel like she needs more characterization:

Her room is a mess
She late-night vents to Urianger so often on linkpearl that he sometimes doesn't answer, and she has to call Thancred or Graha Tia (Krile never picks up)
She dies trying to solo FATES more often than any other Scion
She's lost some really important loot rolls because her inventory was full
She is really into Lord of Verminion
Has spent real life money on pots of Jet Black Ink

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cephas posted:

Here's some Y'shtola headcanon if you feel like she needs more characterization:

Her room is a mess
She late-night vents to Urianger so often on linkpearl that he sometimes doesn't answer, and she has to call Thancred or Graha Tia (Krile never picks up)

I mean you don't need to headcanon it. She literally lies about her age to appear younger than she is which hilariously means her younger sister is 'older' than she is

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maxwell Lord posted:

And her just wanting to see her friend again is fine motivation from my perspective. Whether you ship 'em or not he's an important part of her life (along with, you know, the whole tribe she was matriarch of) and she doesn't like to be cut off from that.

Yeah, I feel like the combination of "this is an interesting and worthwhile scientific problem in my discipline," "this would allow me to reconnect with a community I lived with and cared about," and "this would allow me to reconnect with an individual loved one" is perfectly fine as stands. Putting more emphasis specifically on Runar would make it feel like "oh, Y'shtola is a Lady, she has to have a Lady Romance Plot and be all about that now," which they've largely managed to avoid so far.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
honestly i'm so starved for romance in ffxiv that i'd love them to give her an actual plainly stated "I am romantically interested in this character and wish to see them for this reason" motivation. for being so horny ffxiv is weirdly chaste when it comes to characters actually having unambiguous love lives

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Y'shtola's Minfilia but with less story relevance.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
FFXIV isn't horny.

Sure some glamours are ok, wow. Some incidental things might have some innuendo now and then. And you have Aenor Cockburne. But the horniness otherwise isn't coming from the game.

I guess Eistinien got a few people steamy this patch too.

It's really not a lot in the grand scheme of the entire game.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I feel like a lot of the fandom wants to see her humbled or made emotionally vulnerable, but I feel like she works well in the role of a more reserved character who isn't emotionally dependent on the WoL the way a lot of Scions are. She's still our friend and ally, but she's competent on her own and not clingy, and that's refreshing.

it's not that she needs to be emotionally vulnerable, but that the game only affords time to stuff like that. if they won't give her big open emotional moments they need to find some way to get deeper into her, because "well she's just more reserved" is currently serving as a justification to never actually get into her headspace.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

FFXIV isn't horny.

Sure some glamours are ok, wow. Some incidental things might have some innuendo now and then. And you have Aenor Cockburne. But the horniness otherwise isn't coming from the game.

alright

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hogama posted:

Y'shtola's Minfilia but with less story relevance.

yall will just say anything in here

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FFXIV isn't horny.

ffxiv isn't horny except for all these horny things

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Countblanc posted:

honestly i'm so starved for romance in ffxiv that i'd love them to give her an actual plainly stated "I am romantically interested in this character and wish to see them for this reason" motivation. for being so horny ffxiv is weirdly chaste when it comes to characters actually having unambiguous love lives

its so you can ship yourself with them at your leisure

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Valentin posted:

it's not that she needs to be emotionally vulnerable, but that the game only affords time to stuff like that. if they won't give her big open emotional moments they need to find some way to get deeper into her, because "well she's just more reserved" is currently serving as a justification to never actually get into her headspace.

Do we need to get into her headspace?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Vitamean posted:

Never underestimate the deleterious effect of needing to leave characters romantically available in the narrative.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Do we need to get into her headspace?

I mean we don't have to, but then she's just going to be a cool lady with no real character to her, and at that point you can just like, bring in a new character. It's weird to me to say that when thancred is also somewhat reserved but we spend an entire expansion getting into his headspace. The choice is not between maintaining yshtola's mystique or ruining it, I'm saying just give her more screentime and poo poo to do that isn't purely functional.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vitamean posted:

I know but i wish it wasn't, i like romance plots

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
there's a couple points that have been brought up recently that I'm wondering where they came from. People are talking about

-Krile getting a mystery envelope

-The Heart of Sabik being explicitly from space

where did these happen? I did MSQ and pandemonium and heard nothing

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

there's a couple points that have been brought up recently that I'm wondering where they came from. People are talking about

are you blind and/or illiterate

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mister Olympus posted:

Right after you meet up with Krile and she says she'll deal with the paperwork to get you into the Aetherfront, she complains to herself that she still has so much more work to do and then the she looks at an envelope on the desk, while the camera zooms in on it.

When you're talking to Lahabrea in the Panda quests and the conversation turns towards the Heart of Sabik, you can bring up Ultima the High Seraph. Some time in the conversation he says the power was otherworldly entirely and was just found mysteriously with no source on the planet.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Technically, Lahabrea says that the original Auracite that Athena found was from an unknown place, otherworldly with no known source on planet, her studying this eventually led to her developing (from it????) the Heart of Sabik.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Wonder if it’s related to the dragons at all.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

are you blind and/or illiterate

Right after you meet up with Krile and she says she'll deal with the paperwork to get you into the Aetherfront, she complains to herself that she still has so much more work to do and then the she looks at an envelope on the desk, while the camera zooms in on it.

When you're talking to Lahabrea in the Panda quests and the conversation turns towards the Heart of Sabik, you can bring up Ultima the High Seraph. Some time in the conversation he says the power was otherworldly entirely and was just found mysteriously with no source on the planet.

see I even brought up ultima and expected to hear about space explicitly with the way people talked about it.

also i missed the camera zoom apparently, I expected like, krile to say something or it to be mentioned in dialogue

e: But the thread was talking about it as if it was outright like ULTIMA IS JENOVA CONFIRMED so I expected to have some sort of explanation about how the heart crashed into the planet and all its properties but lahabread was very non-specific about it besides "well it makes you evil and we don't really know how"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Olympus posted:

see I even brought up ultima and expected to hear about space explicitly with the way people talked about it.

also i missed the camera zoom apparently, I expected like, krile to say something or it to be mentioned in dialogue

She says something like “Not now, there’s work to do” indicating that whatever’s in that letter she has yet to deal with it.

She’s gonna be in Smash

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Re: Krile, I at least have stills for it though the camera movement will have to be implied (it focuses decidedly on the envelope first and then zooms in a bit)

Re: Heart of Sabik

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

yeah that is way less of a deal being made out of either of those than people talked about

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wonder if it’s related to the dragons at all.

along the timeline midgardsormr reached etheirys after the sundering, and from the sounds of it the omicron managed to shoot down most of the others fleeing the dragonstar so it's doubtful any other ones landed before.

honestly the idea of (another?) hostile cosmic entity sounds neat but I hope they cool it with the space stuff for at least an expansion. would like to see something more grounded for a bit.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

7.0 plot for combat classes: travel to a new continent on Etheirys, explore, and help locals with mundane problems

7.0 plot for non-combat classes: find remaining Omicron holdout colonies across the cosmos and save them from endless doldrums via franchising the Last Dregs and reminding them how to create whimsical cakes

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Vitamean posted:

along the timeline midgardsormr reached etheirys after the sundering, and from the sounds of it the omicron managed to shoot down most of the others fleeing the dragonstar so it's doubtful any other ones landed before.

honestly the idea of (another?) hostile cosmic entity sounds neat but I hope they cool it with the space stuff for at least an expansion. would like to see something more grounded for a bit.

i really do want a star trek expansion is why i brought up all the speculation again

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Cephas posted:

Her room is a mess

You don't need to headcanon that first one, we saw her room in Slitherbough.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean you don't need to headcanon it. She literally lies about her age to appear younger than she is which hilariously means her younger sister is 'older' than she is

I'm not entirely sure she does lie about it. The actual line from the Encyclopedia is something like 'the hands of time ever stopped at twenty and three'--that could mean lying about her age, or even going further and actually doing some kind of magic to pause her aging, but it's also possible it just means she's the kind of person who constantly gets taken as younger than she is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cephas posted:

Absolutely disgusting.

Countblanc posted:

Well, there are some romances in XIV. But that being said, the most I can think of it terms of PDA (prior to the recent Crafter stuff with The First version of Rowena and Gerolt) is Godbert and his wife having a snowball fight that killed several monsters in the immediate area.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

WAR 70 has an entire solo duty involving Curious Gorge manifesting giant cartoon hearts, which frankly suggests that dude would be a beast in high-Dynamis environments. Clearly we should have brought him to Ultima Thule.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Cleretic posted:

I'm not entirely sure she does lie about it. The actual line from the Encyclopedia is something like 'the hands of time ever stopped at twenty and three'--that could mean lying about her age, or even going further and actually doing some kind of magic to pause her aging, but it's also possible it just means she's the kind of person who constantly gets taken as younger than she is.

There’s a book in the Sharlayan library that’s blurb is to the effect of “the first step to staying young is state of mind. For example, just keep telling people you’re the age you are now while reading this book.”

Y’shtola is lying about her age, no magic involved.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Cat don’t crack

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

No, she's lying about it. That's the joke. There's even a reference to it in Endwalker in one of the books in the library.

"Y'shtola acts calm and collected but is secretly rather vain and prideful about silly things" is like half of her character.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

No she's textually lying about it, it's the obvious joke about a slightly older woman not wanting to be perceived as such and multiple in game jokes are about this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hopeandjoy posted:

There’s a book in the Sharlayan library that’s blurb is to the effect of “the first step to staying young is state of mind. For example, just keep telling people you’re the age you are now while reading this book.”

Y’shtola is lying about her age, no magic involved.

I didn't remember that book, and that's... I mean, at least a funny way to write it, but I'm not sure I find the sentiment as funny as they hope I do.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Cat don’t crack

I mean, female cat doesn't; F'lhaminn is aging pretty well (granted she's only in her late thirties, but she's still the oldest catgirl we know). Old catboys have faces that look like goddamn mountain ranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

when I finished 2.5 3.5 a couple months back I wanted to refresh my memory on some of the scions before going forward with the story so I googled Y'shtola and the first line of the top result goes "Y'shtola, also known as Master Matoya, is a character in blah blah..." and I went red with anger thinking I had just been spoiled on some alternate dimension/time travel aspect of FFXIV's story, something like (science fiction short story) All You Zombies where Master Matoya is caught in a predestination paradox and ends up raising her younger self (she hides her cat ears under her witch hat)

God Hole fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 27, 2023