Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

TofuDiva posted:

We bought a three-level cat tower and started feeding the grazer on the top level, and the tubbo cat on the bottom level. Grazer could make the leap or climb up to the top, while Tubbo could not.

We put the cat food up on a big ledge so the dogs couldn't get it, the bonus being the cat who tends to bring a fatty has to work at it more and does so less often. Also apparently our cats have like super muscles on their backsides according to the vet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Spikes32 posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XTRYP7B?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Portions out a specific amount of food at set times, has a door that closes or opens when a specific micro chip comes within 2 feet. So we have it set to always be open until the fat cat gets too close.

This is a brilliant thing! I did not know that there was an auto feeder out there that could do that. I don't need it now, but have bookmarked it in case I need it in future (e.g, at the time when I inevitably get ambushed by another rescue).

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

DarkHorse posted:

Maltodextrose maybe? It's a type of sugar (in the chemical sense) and a common food additive

Yeah; I googled "cat malt" and it came up with this guy so that's probably it.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XTRYP7B?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Portions out a specific amount of food at set times, has a door that closes or opens when a specific micro chip comes within 2 feet. So we have it set to always be open until the fat cat gets too close.

This might be something I didn't even know I was looking for. I've been worried the fat one is eating more than his share throughout the day.

Might be hard to implement without two, though. At feeding time the little one usually bullies the big one out of the way for whatever bowl he chooses, but then he only takes a few bites before scampering off to cause mayhem leaving the fat one behind to chow down.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Every morning I see this face staring at me when I wake up and that's fine. Yesterday he decided that was a good time to rip a nasty fart and run out of the room like he didn't know where it came from.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I have had an absolutely dreadful evening involving a trip to the veterinarian for what I thought would be a fairly minor examination turning into discovery of a serious problem and shortly thereafter a dead cat.

I’m worried now about my other cat, he’s always been a little bit mental at times and I’m afraid that without a companion he’ll go totally nuts. I think at some point I’ll adopt another cat, but until then what can I do to make him as comfortable as I can? I suppose the one saving grace is that it’s the weekend soon, so I can spend more time with him for at least a few days, but after that I don’t know.

Does anyone else who has gone through something similar have any suggestions? I work at a farm every day, so dead animals are part of life and I thought I knew how to handle the death of a pet, but this is just awful.

Uncle Lloyd fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 20, 2019

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Uncle Lloyd posted:

I have had an absolutely dreadful evening involving a trip to the veterinarian for what I thought would be a fairly minor examination turning into discovery of a serious problem and shortly thereafter a dead cat.

I’m worried now about my other cat, he’s always been a little bit mental at times and I’m afraid that without a companion he’ll go totally nuts. I think at some point I’ll adopt another cat, but until then what can I do to make him as comfortable as I can? I suppose the one saving grace is that it’s the weekend soon, so I can spend more time with him for at least a few days, but after that I don’t know.

Does anyone else who has gone through something similar have any suggestions? I work at a farm every day, so dead animals are part of life and I thought I knew how to handle the death of a pet, but this is just awful.

The cats will be confused for a while and wonder where their companion has gone, but in a week or so they get over it and move on. That's been my experience, anyway.

Cats are creatures of habit and can appear to grieve when their routine is interrupted by the loss of a companion, but I don't think their emotional life is all that deep.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

While its always worth caution in ascribing human emotions to animals, cats can and do grieve. They’ll be okay in the long run- as will you- but they’re not computers either.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think it depends how close they were. I've heard of cats who were close getting pretty depressed (calling for the other cat frequently, not eating, etc) and other cats who barely noticed when they lost a roommate. Definitely give your other cat some extra attention and keep an eye on them but usually cats move on pretty quickly. A lot more quickly than their human partners do anyways. Sorry for your loss. :(

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

When Sleek died we were able to bring him home and have a "wake" and let Fyodor come in and see/sniff him.
I don't know if that helped really because there were some times when it seemed like Fyo was looking for him.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm sorry that you lost your dear friend... :(

Any flea collar recommendations? The vet my mom takes her flea-allergic cat to recommends Seresto, but idk anything about what other brands are out there. I'd do drops but my cats groom each other frequently and I'd rather not risk ingestion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We were talking about switching to an automatic feeder because Jesus Christ are our fatass cats obnoxious when they think it's time for food. But they're all so drat expensive I think I'd rather listen to Bean tell me her life story and Fuzzbut lay on my chest and claw me in the face.

I don't even know why he does it to me because 1) we don't feed them after waking up and 2) I don't feed them ever that's my fiancees job

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Flea collars don't work and can badly hurt your cat, do not buy. The drops go between their shoulders so they can't self-groom them off, and once they dry your cat is protected. I think all of them are safe to use on cats over 12 weeks old, there isn't a risk from ingestion. (Seriously if you don't want to sleep tonight google flea collar rashes.)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

my cat is norris posted:

I'm sorry that you lost your dear friend... :(

Any flea collar recommendations? The vet my mom takes her flea-allergic cat to recommends Seresto, but idk anything about what other brands are out there. I'd do drops but my cats groom each other frequently and I'd rather not risk ingestion.

Flea collars are nearly useless. Use a topical monthly flea treatment like Revolution (which is what we use).

Ingestion isn't an issue to worry about. The insecticide is a nerve poison that can't get past the blood-brain barrier in mammals, so it has no effect on them. Invertebrates like fleas succumb very quickly, though. The whole point is to get it into their bodies so that their blood is toxic to the fleas. It gets stored in fat tissue, and gradually leaches out into the bloodstream. The liver then picks it up and dumps it into the intestine intact, where it can then poison any parasitic worms there.

So ingestion from grooming is not an issue. Getting it into their alimentary canal is actually a good thing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That said don't use dog flea treatment on cats. My wife's parents once did that (without her knowledge) and nearly killed one of her cats. :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They are specific with dosing by weight in the same species, too. The offbrand stuff that I can't think of the name of is much cheaper than frontline and is exactly the same afaik. something like first line defense

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif
Also, make sure you use a reputable brand - I have had good luck with Advantage for 10 years now, but shop around to save money - Costco can be a boon here.

DO NOT USE cheapo brands from CVS or wherever - Hartz especially. One dose of their flea preventative nearly killed our cat.

There are a million horror stories of pets and CHILDREN dying from Hartz products. Google it if you want to be sad.

I sent in a BBB complaint and Hartz sent me a check to cover my subsequent vet expenses if I swore not to sue them. I donated the money to the local ARL.

NOTE: I am not an employee of Costco or whoever makes Advantage flea drops

sean_bateman fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 20, 2019

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Revolution seems to be the current hotness plus its a de-wormer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hey which one of you adopted Murdercat 2k? How's that little ball of chaos been doing?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Cheristin is the only flea med worth a drat.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Thought this was the bad names thread when I read that.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
my rear end in a top hat runaway has started asking to play with the cat dancer again, glad he's come round the bend finally.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Don't buy hartz anything, they are awful for keeping those collars and meds on the market

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
So I made a very interesting discovery about my cat who has chronically pooped right next to the box for years. Turns out he will go in the box... if I am there with him. What's up with that? Does he feel like he needs my comfort or approval to go in the box? If it's the comfort aspect, that makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy that I bring him security instead of anxiety when he's trying to do his business. I thought cats liked to be left alone while going potty but apparently not my cat, Boppo. Obviously I can't be there every time he needs to poop, but maybe doing this while I'm home will condition him into using the box more.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Wile E. Toyota posted:

So I made a very interesting discovery about my cat who has chronically pooped right next to the box for years. Turns out he will go in the box... if I am there with him. What's up with that? Does he feel like he needs my comfort or approval to go in the box? If it's the comfort aspect, that makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy that I bring him security instead of anxiety when he's trying to do his business. I thought cats liked to be left alone while going potty but apparently not my cat, Boppo. Obviously I can't be there every time he needs to poop, but maybe doing this while I'm home will condition him into using the box more.

This has come up before in the thread. Some cats are in fact shy poopers....shypes, if you will. My cat wont poop if there is a line of sight between us, neither will she groom herself if she catches me looking at her. Some advice, I put my litter tray in a bigger cardboard box, so just incase if she does miss a poop it is still contained and not directly on my kitchen floor.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Just put this on my cats for the first time today. Last time it came up y'all made it out to be this stuff that smells like Bigfoot's dick and makes your cats miserable. I didn't even smell it and I just had to hold them for a sec to part their hair and squeeze it on, and then I gave them a good chin scratch and they didn't even care.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shroomie posted:

Just put this on my cats for the first time today. Last time it came up y'all made it out to be this stuff that smells like Bigfoot's dick and makes your cats miserable. I didn't even smell it and I just had to hold them for a sec to part their hair and squeeze it on, and then I gave them a good chin scratch and they didn't even care.

I don’t know why people get so loving weird about it, I’ve never had an issue with it and it’s by far the best on the market

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Wile E. Toyota posted:

One of my cats will poo alone in a pinch but ideally will wait until I am also using the toilet (same room). If I'm not available, he'll also accept the other cat as a poo companion (compoonion?). If it makes him happy, I guess. Same cat who had four months of diarrhoea as a kitten for no discernible reason so sometimes I think he's still cautious about the litterbox in general.

small ghost fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 21, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Can confirm, when I adopted Xander his previous cat mom had a flea collar on him, and he had a miserable ring of baldness all around his neck. He’s fine now, but never again.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Cythereal posted:

Refer to Gaj's posts. You will be grateful you have two of the hyperactive idiots so they can take some of their energy out on each other.

I know nothing about you, but I can tell you right now: you do not have the energy for a single kitten.

Gaj posted:

Yes I can confirm having 2 kittens is basically like putting them on autopilot. Pretty much all you have to do is pet them, feed them, and throw out their poop. I am terribly thankful that my stinker has finally mirrored my day schedule and is sleeps when I do now.

TY now I feel better about my horrible decision. I'm going to pick them up tomorrow :3

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Can confirm, when I adopted Xander his previous cat mom had a flea collar on him, and he had a miserable ring of baldness all around his neck. He’s fine now, but never again.

But that's just what collars do, never mind flea collars. Every cat I've ever had has had a collar, and after years and years they get a bald patch under there.

Better than having a cat get out with no id on them, imo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The collar also functions as an early warning system that you're about to get hunted

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Anyone have any experience with using an Assisi Loop for their pet’s arthritis? This thing: http://www.assisianimalhealth.com/product/

It’s supposed to reduce inflammation with “targeted pulsed electromagnetic field technology”. Sounds kind of pseudo-sciency to me but our vet mentioned it as something that has worked well for some cats. Our kitty’s arthritis has been getting worse, and we’ve already tried some meds that didn’t help. It’s $300 though so I’m pretty hesitant to spend that much without knowing if it will even do anything.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

gey muckle mowser posted:

Anyone have any experience with using an Assisi Loop for their pet’s arthritis? This thing: http://www.assisianimalhealth.com/product/

It’s supposed to reduce inflammation with “targeted pulsed electromagnetic field technology”. Sounds kind of pseudo-sciency to me but our vet mentioned it as something that has worked well for some cats. Our kitty’s arthritis has been getting worse, and we’ve already tried some meds that didn’t help. It’s $300 though so I’m pretty hesitant to spend that much without knowing if it will even do anything.

Most of the evidence for it is anecdotal, it seems. Well-controlled studies have found no significant benefit to pulsed electromagnetic field therapy. This paper is a good review.

quote:

Conclusion

Current evidence would suggest that PEMF is unlikely to be a valuable contributor to multimodal rehabilitation of knee osteoarthritis. The resources currently being used for the provision of PEMF may be better utilised in the deployment of more clinically efficacious rehabilitation, such as in the provision of exercise classes and advice sessions

I would not spend my own money on such a device.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Deteriorata posted:

Most of the evidence for it is anecdotal, it seems. Well-controlled studies have found no significant benefit to pulsed electromagnetic field therapy. This paper is a good review.

I would not spend my own money on such a device.

Yeah that’s about what I expected, thanks. If it were cheap I’d probably give it a shot just because we’ve tried so many different things and it’s getting frustrating, but not for that amount of money.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Ugh so I woke up this morning to find a brown smear on my blanket that was damp through the other side. It does not smell like poo poo, and there is no fresh poop in the litter box. Assuming its not cat crap (no smell), what the gently caress is this?
Of course whatever the gently caress this is its near my head, but again no smell, its damp through the thin blanket, and her butthole is clean and dry. Vomit?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 23, 2019

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Probably cat puke.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Of course she does it near my head, as I sleep. Well if its puke she must have ate most of it as she has semi full belly still. Shes eating blue buffalo and has no other problems. Of course right after she eats shes a little, how do I say this, pukish? If I pick her up right after she eats she makes little up-chuck noises as if whatever she ate is about to come up but nothing has so far, I leave her alone after she eats. Also this had to have happened about 5 hours after her last meal. I will monitor her for other pukes.

Now obviously everyonce in a while cats will puke, or have hairballs. What should I be looking for short term about this?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 23, 2019

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

That is absolutely cat puke and it is pretty normal, cats just puke sometimes. Only really worry about it if they start vomiting multiple times a day (even then they might just have a cold or something and be fine in a week or so), obviously if they stop pooing then you need to get to the vet ASAP though as they might have a blockage.

Sometimes they throw up on a mostly empty stomach and so do not produce all that much of the brown sludge though there will still be bile and stomach acids so it is a good idea to wipe down/clean whatever they puked onto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Cats also prefer to puke somewhere comfortable, unfortunately