Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Work at Amazon is dead. Dead. No one's buying poo poo online. We've been slow since May.

Night before July 4th? They were letting everyone go home. Not unusual in itself, but the degree. I'd look up and see one, maybe two lonely totes of work going down the conveyor belts in the entire box factory. Departments down to literally the bare minimum staffing to even justify being open. A manager told me she had only four of her crew still here, most departments have 20-30 on a slow night.

Some of it is because of Amazon knowing people are out and want to be out with family/partying this weekend (which is why the 4th is only a half day: days leaves early, nights comes in late). But a good chunk is just that in the last few months I can physically see consumer spending drying up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Not the case in my building apparently, we're on mandatory overtime this week. We still get the half shifts today, but our work doesn't seem to have slowed down that much.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Work at Amazon is dead. Dead. No one's buying poo poo online. We've been slow since May.

Night before July 4th? They were letting everyone go home. Not unusual in itself, but the degree. I'd look up and see one, maybe two lonely totes of work going down the conveyor belts in the entire box factory. Departments down to literally the bare minimum staffing to even justify being open. A manager told me she had only four of her crew still here, most departments have 20-30 on a slow night.

Some of it is because of Amazon knowing people are out and want to be out with family/partying this weekend (which is why the 4th is only a half day: days leaves early, nights comes in late). But a good chunk is just that in the last few months I can physically see consumer spending drying up.

Amazon should start selling the morning after pill, or abortion kits for home use. I can almost guarantee business would pick back up.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God gently caress Sunday night was miserable. Non stop from 10 pm to 1:30 am and thank god someone was willing to stay an extra hour. I had to beg the manager to let me have someone stay longer tonight cause otherwise it would've been just 1 other person who would've left an hour into my shift.

In other news though, I had a familiar face come in. The previous third manager in the produce department at my last job. You know, the guy who quit and had his position open for multiple years before the department manager came up with a plan to move me to the closing shift and gave his brother the third manager position and then yanking me right back into doing both closing and opening.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Amazon should start selling the morning after pill, or abortion kits for home use. I can almost guarantee business would pick back up.

Hold on let me buy some now discounted amazon stocks first

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Toraen posted:

Not the case in my building apparently, we're on mandatory overtime this week. We still get the half shifts today, but our work doesn't seem to have slowed down that much.

gently caress, where you at? I'm in central Texas and honestly I've been wanting to pick up some overtime shifts to pull in extra cash but it's kind of hard to get those when when 95% of the building is being sent home early.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just buy fish plan b, it's the same as for humans!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i'm so glad i don't have to open tomorrow morning because my neighborhood is going ham with these fireworks right now and they'll probably be going until like 2am

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Alkydere posted:

gently caress, where you at? I'm in central Texas and honestly I've been wanting to pick up some overtime shifts to pull in extra cash but it's kind of hard to get those when when 95% of the building is being sent home early.

It's in Pennsylvania. Maybe you can away team here though and tell all the pack PS to stop removing "wrong" labels on items and then handing the items to ISS (me) to identify. Even if it's wrong I can still use it to start researching! I almost never can do anything for an item with no identifiers left on it!

We've been regularly getting both VET and MET weeks, with the VET often coming with offers of extra pay on top of the overtime. Traditional non-sort being a more labor-intensive warehouse type probably doesn't help.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Actually now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've actually packed/problem solved Plan B pills (they come in a box the size of a DVD for a single dose).

Toraen posted:

It's in Pennsylvania. Maybe you can away team here though and tell all the pack PS to stop removing "wrong" labels on items and then handing the items to ISS (me) to identify. Even if it's wrong I can still use it to start researching! I almost never can do anything for an item with no identifiers left on it!

We've been regularly getting both VET and MET weeks, with the VET often coming with offers of extra pay on top of the overtime. Traditional non-sort being a more labor-intensive warehouse type probably doesn't help.

Yeah now that I think about it my problem is probably more to due with the fact that my site has some sort of FC Magic that makes us just...work (part of it is the site leaders treat us halfway decently). I work at SAT2 which from the way they talk about it keeps staying up with the big boys in efficiency despite being a legacy site (over 5 years old). I'm sorry if they use us to beat other sites over the head (Why can't you be like SAT2?)

Anyways, Amazon built a bunch of facilities around here trying to capture whatever Central Texas magic insanity makes us a halfway decent site so some of our lack of work likely has to do with them overbuilding for the area.

Also holy poo poo that's loving stupid. Keep the item as is/with its labels until it gets to the problem solvers! Why wouldn't the Pack PS teams know this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Amazon does sell Plan B, and they’ve had to limit how many people can buy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/28/amazon-limits-plan-b-pill-purchases-as-demand-surges.html

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Yeah now that I think about it my problem is probably more to due with the fact that my site has some sort of FC Magic that makes us just...work (part of it is the site leaders treat us halfway decently). I work at SAT2 which from the way they talk about it keeps staying up with the big boys in efficiency despite being a legacy site (over 5 years old). I'm sorry if they use us to beat other sites over the head (Why can't you be like SAT2?)

Don't worry, we aren't compared to you since we're a different building type, and apparently one of the best buildings of our type. Our managers have away teamed to other traditional non-sorts to fix how they were at like, 60% of our throughput.

At my previous traditional sortables building, we actually did outperform and send an away team to an AR sortable (that I was on!). That building was one newly opened just before a peak season and was a DISASTER when we arrived.

quote:

Also holy poo poo that's loving stupid. Keep the item as is/with its labels until it gets to the problem solvers! Why wouldn't the Pack PS teams know this?

They will even cover/rip off any sp00 if one was applied, so I can't even backtrack the item to a cage (our tote-equivalent). I am given no information on where the item came from or even when it showed up at pack. I just get a pile of stuff they couldn't ID that they finally decided was too tall to keep adding things to. I think the problem is that they don't think at the time that the next tier of problem solver can use them in tools they don't have access to (or just no training on - a few things I use don't actually have permission requirements :ssh:).

I have talked with OBPS on our shift saying, "hey don't remove labels I need those", but it's basically impossible for that to spread between shifts apparently.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

i'm so glad i don't have to open tomorrow morning because my neighborhood is going ham with these fireworks right now and they'll probably be going until like 2am

If there is one advantage to working graveyard, I don't have to worry about being woken up all night while fireworks have been going off for the past 2 weeks and will most likely continue for another week at least.

Had someone call the store asking how to do orders on doordash when they don't have a credit card and only cash :what:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Toraen posted:

I have talked with OBPS on our shift saying, "hey don't remove labels I need those", but it's basically impossible for that to spread between shifts apparently.

Get yourself a box and a marker, write in big words:
To all problem solvers, please stop [doing wrong thing] here so we can fix the problems you send us faster.

Appreciated: ISS/ICQA

Then tape the box up somewhere they'll notice. Probably over their standup board.

And yeah, the real secret between a "Problem Solver" and "Critical Role Problem Solver" is the latter has collected all sorts of tools they shouldn't have to cheese and cheat the system back into shape. (for example: I used to be able to print my own LPNs, but they found that loophole in the program I used and closed it)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Duckman2008 posted:

Amazon does sell Plan B, and they’ve had to limit how many people can buy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/28/amazon-limits-plan-b-pill-purchases-as-demand-surges.html

UK goons can order it from NHS sexual health services for free along with a 6 months supply of any kind of birth control pill and mail them to America. If US goons know of anyone desperate then let the UKMT thread in D&D know.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
International mail is subject to inspection by CBP, so use caution.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Toraen posted:

Yeah sorry I've been ordering more stuff and I'm in PA so its all my fault :D
Even had to order the same thing twice thanks to a fuckgoblin package thief (who was probably the uber delivery guy)

Alkydere posted:

And yeah, the real secret between a "Problem Solver" and "Critical Role Problem Solver" is the latter has collected all sorts of tools they shouldn't have to cheese and cheat the system back into shape. (for example: I used to be able to print my own LPNs, but they found that loophole in the program I used and closed it)

Being able to Make poo poo Work is a skill that just can't be taught and make you look like a superstar. At my job I use an opex model 72 (large document scanner). Come in Monday morning and get told 'oh its not working, got an error'. Well that's pretty interesting, I just used it for the last two days with no issues. Restart it, run some work, use my magical 'adjust contrast' button that exists and bam. No issues all day.
Without being the official opex tech guys my guess is that certain paper colors just time out when getting scanned, thus throwing errors. We have easy pre-set buttons to fix that, no one uses them or cares to cause its easier to say its down and push the work to /someone else/.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Store leader cracked her head on a pallet. Blood everywhere. She's fine if concussed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So she'll be making smarter decisions than usual for a while?

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Like anyone in the retail management chain makes smart decisions

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Bumper Stickup posted:

Store leader cracked her head on a pallet. Blood everywhere. She's fine if concussed.

How does that even happen? Was she hulking out a chep pallet over her head?

I mean I understand it. I want to do the same everyday. But I know my limits.

had a team member once lift that over his head by himself and yeet it across the dock like it was nothing. Dude was a loving titan.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bumper Stickup posted:

Give her an extra 15 minute break then right back to work!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Fuckit, putting in my two weeks on Saturday. Will post my reasons why when I get home.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My boss took all of last week off. Today she emailed us to let us know this Friday will be her last day. On one hand I'm super excited, on the other hand I have no idea about the new manager coming in, when we're going to get a new manager, etc.

Thanks Obama!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Kilonum posted:

Fuckit, putting in my two weeks on Saturday. Will post my reasons why when I get home.

loving GM is a useless piece of poo poo, she's dragging her heels on my transfer, in the 2 months she has been running the store I have yet to see her work past 4pm or at all on a weekend, Consistently schedules people for days they asked for off, consistently sticks me and one other girl in my department for loving clopens

today I told her for the last time the 30th is my last day at the store whether I get transferred or not as I will not be able to get to the store, she has known this for two months now, but somehow thinks I can make my landlord not be a transphobic piece of poo poo who is passive-aggressively making my living situation terrible and has refused to renew my lease for bullshit reasons I cannot disprove (I live in MA which has laws against denying someone housing based on age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc.)

the kicker is, she promoted a guy WHO DID NOT WANT TO BE PROMOTED AND DID NOT WANT TO BE A KEYHOLDER to a keyholder position. He walked out mid-shift on Saturday.

And then we come to today. She schedules me for August 1st. See the paragraph above on why this was the final straw.

An addendum: Corporate has us doing everything short of just grabbing people's phones out of their hands to get them to install the latest version of our lovely app. She reduced a kid to tears today because he couldn't get an app signup out of a loving octogenarian with a flip phone. Yeah.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kilonum posted:

loving GM is a useless piece of poo poo, she's dragging her heels on my transfer, in the 2 months she has been running the store I have yet to see her work past 4pm or at all on a weekend, Consistently schedules people for days they asked for off, consistently sticks me and one other girl in my department for loving clopens

today I told her for the last time the 30th is my last day at the store whether I get transferred or not as I will not be able to get to the store, she has known this for two months now, but somehow thinks I can make my landlord not be a transphobic piece of poo poo who is passive-aggressively making my living situation terrible and has refused to renew my lease for bullshit reasons I cannot disprove (I live in MA which has laws against denying someone housing based on age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc.)

the kicker is, she promoted a guy WHO DID NOT WANT TO BE PROMOTED AND DID NOT WANT TO BE A KEYHOLDER to a keyholder position. He walked out mid-shift on Saturday.

And then we come to today. She schedules me for August 1st. See the paragraph above on why this was the final straw.

An addendum: Corporate has us doing everything short of just grabbing people's phones out of their hands to get them to install the latest version of our lovely app. She reduced a kid to tears today because he couldn't get an app signup out of a loving octogenarian with a flip phone. Yeah.

Knowing the area a bit, do you happen to work for a formerly-locally-owned convenience store chain now owned by the british? Cus that sounds a lot like the dumb poo poo a store someone I know works for would pull.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Neito posted:

Knowing the area a bit, do you happen to work for a formerly-locally-owned convenience store chain now owned by the british? Cus that sounds a lot like the dumb poo poo a store someone I know works for would pull.

nope, office supply chain that got starting capital from a current Utah senator

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kilonum posted:

Ah, gently caress them too then.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kilonum posted:

lol I worked at one a few years back and the amount of pressure placed on us to sell the completely bullshit warranties made it utterly miserable. Glad to hear they're doubling up with a pointless app!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The last person I served before closing my drawer ordered 17.02 worth of stuff and paid with a hundred. I know this exact amount not because I was bitter and it stuck in my mind, but because when I closed my drawer and had to do my count that was the only cash in my drawer. If this guy paid in cash I wouldn't have to do a count. So this guy both had me break a hundred in fives (cause I had no bigger bills) and was why I had to count my till :shepface:

Remember this guy? I am tempted to do one of my own.

"Why did you give me 18 fives?"
"Why did you order 10 dollars worth of stuff and paid in a hundred? You think this is a bank, that I have multiples of every bill in my drawer?"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I walk into my store yesterday, and keep in mind, I'm a dog trainer, not floor staff, I have a bunch of set up to do when I arrive. I punch in at the register, see there's a bit of a line and my manager is on another manager helping an old lady who has no cell phone or computer figure out why her debit card wasn't working (from what I overheard, it sounds like she got scammed at a 7-11). With all that, I shout for the next person to step around and I'll ring them out. I'm still wearing my backpack.

Lady steps up to do a return on an aquarium air pump. I ask "are you returning or exchanging"

"Oh, I already bought a different one at OTHER PETSTORE. This was really loud."

"Okay, fine. receipt please." She actually has a receipt which was nice. I scan the receipt to start the return andwhen I scan the item I get an "this it out of the return time limit." I look at the date on the receipt, it was from early loving March. 4 months ago.

"I'm sorry, this is out of the thirty day window for returns."

"Well where does it say that?"

"I don't know, I'm the dog trainer, I'm just trying to get this line to move faster."

"Oh, it says to look online for the return policy, well I don't have a computer so that doesn't help me." She's getting *that* voice now.

"Sorry, nothing I can do, shouldn't have waited four months."

"Well I'm going to go home and post a SCATHING review online" I thought she didn't have a computer?

"Good idea, I'm sure that will help.""

Then she stormed out and no one even stood up to applaud. Like, if this had been a week or two over 30 days, I would have bugged my manager to see if he could do something, but 4 months? You sat on this for almost half a year and think you can just bring it back? gently caress out of here, just go and actually steal something from the store, I'm not gonna stop you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sorry Leal I'm not enjoying your misfortune personally at the hands of assholes, but... it will never not crack me up that so many people habitually go to McDonald's or the gas station and whip out a $100 bill to pay their $8.48 total because it makes them feel like a baller.

Like, you got that $100 from a bank. You could very easily have asked for smaller bills at the bank, which, y'know, specializes in that kind of thing. It's so transparent that they get $100s to take to McDonald's on purpose just for that tiny dopamine spike of feeling like a real gangsta.

When I worked a gas station back in the Neolithic Period at least once a day someone (and it was always, always, a guy between 30 and 50) would pull out a wad of bills and peel the one $100 off the top of a stack of $1s. It was really hard not to just burst out laughing. I didn't always succeed.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 12, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

symbolic posted:

lol I worked at one a few years back and the amount of pressure placed on us to sell the completely bullshit warranties made it utterly miserable. Glad to hear they're doubling up with a pointless app!

God, the other week my boss got upset with me because I didn't get a customer's phone number and email address so he could harass them to come buy stuff(they'd been in the store to ask some preparatory questions for making a large purchase, which I mentioned to my boss because he was being a grouchy baby and the possibility of an impending large sale sometimes cheers him up).

I discussed it with my coworkers and we all agreed that being asked for our contact information, if it wasn't part of making an order or something, would've made us insanely unwilling to ever return to the store and made the store feel super invasive.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Was at a target, in my work uniform, at lunch break, and I had an AT&t employee slide up to me and start questioning my cell phone provider and service and if I was happy with them and how much I was paying and would I be interested in saving money. Dude I'm wearing a delivery company outfit, I'm clearly sweaty and hot, I'm on my lunch break, why the hell are you trying to sell me something.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

Was at a target, in my work uniform, at lunch break, and I had an AT&t employee slide up to me and start questioning my cell phone provider and service and if I was happy with them and how much I was paying and would I be interested in saving money. Dude I'm wearing a delivery company outfit, I'm clearly sweaty and hot, I'm on my lunch break, why the hell are you trying to sell me something.

It's because they chug the company koolaid by the gallon.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

tbh I almost want there to be people pimping out our app, because we keep doing these digital deals but the signage is super misleading. a thousand times a day people are like, "oh the sign said the asparagus was $1.50/lb" and I keep having to point out the teeny tiny writing that says it's only with a digital coupon that's on the app and explaining it to the octogenarians is a loving slog and also embarrassing. it's such a blatantly scummy business practice to trick people like that

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 13, 2022

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Cell people can be ruthless. Worse than used car salesmen. A friend of mine was a manager of a mall cell store and the accompanying kiosk and quit to be a Redbull delivery guy because he couldn't deal with the customers or the employees. He was tortured by his conscience watching slimy dipshits sell crap plans and expensive phones to old people and idiots who could barely afford electricity.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Love to be in our store during a severe thunderstorm with flickering lights (going out several times) and registers either not working or only able to take cash and no customers and we're the only store still open and be told by the DM that we can't close (a whopping whole hour early) because we have to get permission by the goddamn Vice President.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Like, you got that $100 from a bank. You could very easily have asked for smaller bills at the bank, which, y'know, specializes in that kind of thing. It's so transparent that they get $100s to take to McDonald's on purpose just for that tiny dopamine spike of feeling like a real gangsta.

I think that every single $100 bill I've had in my life I got either as a gift from a grandparent or my wedding, or someone paid me with a stack of them for a snowblower or some poo poo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't think there's a mother fucker alive that spends a one hundred dollar bill on something worth only ten bucks and thinks they're a baller and get a trip from it. They're spending it because they forgot to ask for smaller bills from the bank that issued it to them (and they usually ask how you want it) and need to break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I don't think there's a mother fucker alive that spends a one hundred dollar bill on something worth only ten bucks and thinks they're a baller and get a trip from it. They're spending it because they forgot to ask for smaller bills from the bank that issued it to them (and they usually ask how you want it) and need to break it.

i worked front desk at a gym, you are 100% wrong.