Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That fishing shack is exactly my jam. Really hope it gets made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

Lol that women of NASA thing is so pandering.

I don't know, I'd buy a Lisa Nowak kit in a heartbeat if it came with all the accessories.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Lizard Combatant posted:

That fishing shack is exactly my jam. Really hope it gets made.

Um, they just announced that it will get made.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hopper posted:

triple VIP points

???

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Daaku Shinsei posted:

It's stupid, and I don't know why I care, but the new AT-ST doesn't quite scale right with the Rebels AT-DP, which is supposed to be a precursor to the AT-ST.

It's supposed to be bigger though isn't it?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57106596&cp=&parentPage=search

30% off store exclusive. Best price yet for this thing.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I bought the midi scale Millennium Falcon (7778-1) from Aliexpress. Aside from shipping taking 3 weeks I'm happy with it. The clutch on the pieces isn't quit as crisp as legit Legos, but I can live with it. Some of the printed pieces are a little crooked, but the stickers seem to be good quality. Oh, and the tube that makes the thrusters smelled a little weird at first.

I bought the Lepin Orthanc, but it hasn't come yet. Does Lepin do numbered bags?I'm worried about sorting 2,000+ black pieces.

These knock off sets are much better for my wallet, but harder on my shelf space.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

deoju posted:

I bought the midi scale Millennium Falcon (7778-1) from Aliexpress. Aside from shipping taking 3 weeks I'm happy with it. The clutch on the pieces isn't quit as crisp as legit Legos, but I can live with it. Some of the printed pieces are a little crooked, but the stickers seem to be good quality. Oh, and the tube that makes the thrusters smelled a little weird at first.

I bought the Lepin Orthanc, but it hasn't come yet. Does Lepin do numbered bags?I'm worried about sorting 2,000+ black pieces.

These knock off sets are much better for my wallet, but harder on my shelf space.

Nope, no numbered bags! Have fun lol.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

deoju posted:

No, the bags aren't numbered. Little bit from each of the bags.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

uXs posted:

Um, they just announced that it will get made.

Awesome. I must have misread, I thought it still needed a final approval.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Germany got triple VIP points on all force Friday star wars products from Friday to Sunday. This is the highest VIP multiplayer I have ever seen aside from the 4x on Duplo, which is useless as it is Duplo.
We'll also get a 2x around mid October, I'll buy Big Ben then to also grab the red bus freebie. And possibly the new minifigs. Then I'll have enough points to get Buckingham palace for free.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

mattfl posted:

Nope, no numbered bags! Have fun lol.

I might be crazy, but sorting can be relaxing. It takes just enough concentration so I'm not thinking of other poo poo, but not so much that it is taxing.

Oh, BTW that set I bought came with two minifigs. I'd give them a C-.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh poo poo! Lepin are upping their game.

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lepin-moves-from-lego-sets-to-lego-fan-designs/

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Anyone ever been to a Brickfest before?
I have a 2:00 - 6:00 ticket for tomorrow in NJ, but i'm curious if they let people in earlier than their ticket time.
I don't remember choosing a time when i bought the ticket a few months ago but i guess i must have.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It's supposed to be bigger though isn't it?

Even taking into account the AT-DP holds 2 minifigs, rather than the AT-ST's 1, it's taller, and the feet are huge in comparison.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. I mean the AT-DP is actually a bigger machine than an AT-ST iirc so it should be bigger.

Finally finished the AT-ST last night. Took me like 4 sittings since I was busy this week and I felt pretty middling about the whole build since it was almost identical to the AT-DP. Really liked that there was like a dozen new parts though.

Once I stuck it on the shelf all I could think is "drat that's a close to perfect representation of the AT-ST in Lego. I personally like the scale it was done in. I don't care that it only fits one driver but I wish they had included 2 driver minifigures instead instead that dumb rando from the movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My only complaint is that the feet aren't poseable, so it's stuck standing forever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's kind of funny to browse craigslist for deals (and it is occasionally a great place to find them). You'd think it would be the top place to find cheap Lego but 90% of these idiots think that their booger covered buckets of Lego are worth 500% msrp.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Try going to flea markets, it's the same.

Hell I went to sell at one the other day and before I had even parked there was this fat old guy walking alongside my car as I was positioning to park asking if "ya got any cartridge-based video games, legos, or transfarmers?" and wouldn't go away until the third time I had to say I was still setting up and had to say "please go away, you can come back once everything is set up". Bunch of other sellers came by asking the same thing during setup hours, so those three things are prime targets it seems if you're a newbie to the market.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I admit I laughed at how scummy and ballsy this is, taking designs people submitted because they wanted to live their dream of being considered a LEGO designer. Nope, sorry kiddo, your idea just got nicked by the champions of knock-offs.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It is the most sincere form of flattery though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
At least the models are getting made and sold. Lego already rejected them so it's not like they would get produced otherwise.

On the other hand, no $$$ for the creator.

I don't see these sets selling well overseas but I am sure they will do just as well in China.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Alpine Mustache posted:

Anyone ever been to a Brickfest before?
I have a 2:00 - 6:00 ticket for tomorrow in NJ, but i'm curious if they let people in earlier than their ticket time.
I don't remember choosing a time when i bought the ticket a few months ago but i guess i must have.

I don't remember last time I went, you might be able to swap it out if there are still openings. Have you tried emailing them? brickfestlive@meadowlands.brickfestlive.com
That guy Chad Collins who runs the thing spams the poo poo out of me every day about pre sale tickets and other announcements. I'm at NY ComicCon this weekend otherwise I'd drop into brickfest.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Guzwar posted:

I admit I laughed at how scummy and ballsy this is, taking designs people submitted because they wanted to live their dream of being considered a LEGO designer. Nope, sorry kiddo, your idea just got nicked by the champions of knock-offs.

Yep, this is grade-A bullshit. Stealing ideas from people who put them on Ideas and not giving them a cut is complete and utter trash. I didn't support Lepin knockoffs to begin with, this just makes them scum.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It would be pretty funny if they sent a check to the people whose ideas they took. It'd never happen, but it would be hilarious if it did.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am too good for knockoff Lego and so are you guys. Treat yourself to quality boys and girls.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They could give them the same 1%. But seeing these things are going to sell for $10, a dime isn't really much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

veni veni veni posted:

I am too good for knockoff Lego and so are you guys. Treat yourself to quality boys and girls.
treat me to a 4000 dollar real UCS millenium falcon, Mr. McDuck.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Electromax posted:

Started hacking out a little model of my favorite TV show Seinfeld last night. Gonna have to order some special colors if I want to do it justice though, and I need more cabinets. This feels like a 'tear down and restart after the first draft' kinda situation.

I modularized it and started working on a Monk's Cafe to go underneath:

One wall is kind of a forced-TV perspective viewing window. I'm going to do out the inside of the coffee shop another day, and try to make the cast. Also am going to add a 2nd floor of white windows between cafe + apartment and do the sidewalks.

On tuesday I'm getting a bunch of red brick in the mail to redo the outside of the apartment too.

e: everything you see here is GENUINE LEGO for the record :colbert:

Electromax fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 8, 2016

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I saw a castle on sale at Wilkinson's today, fake Lego but £15 and no IP stolen (beyond the basic concept, I mean). Might get it just to expand my LotR sets...

Lookit: http://www.wilko.com/construction/wilko-blox-castle-mega-set/invt/0438408

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

I saw a castle on sale at Wilkinson's today, fake Lego but £15 and no IP stolen (beyond the basic concept, I mean). Might get it just to expand my LotR sets...

Lookit: http://www.wilko.com/construction/wilko-blox-castle-mega-set/invt/0438408

Looks reasonable, but the helmets on the guards are absolutely copied from the dwarf helmet mould Lego has. Its like they can't resist ripping off at least one item. I assume its because they use existing Lego elements to make their own moulds?! I'd love to have more insight into these knock off companies. Like at Lepin, for example, do they have a team of people deciding what to copy? How do they acknowledge it internally? How do they hire people to take part in fraud? Or is it just "China" and noone gives a poo poo.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I bought the shop's pirate ship a while back (and it was great, I turned it into a lake town building) but threw away the terrible minifigs, and I'd do the same with these... maybe I'd keep the helmets though now! Horses look decent as well.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

A customer told me he could buy a new-in-the-box Disney Castle for $280 on e-bay, and I see no way he could not be lying or getting screwed by the seller.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Guzwar posted:

Well, I can't help but wonder if they contacted the designers and offered them money for the LDD files, since they're not going to be able to get them from Ideas directly.

I could definitely see Lepin hitting them up and saying 'look, your idea probably isn't going to get made, but here's some money for your LDD files', otherwise the bigger mystery is how they did get them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They probably just reverse engineered them from pictures. This will introduces differences but it will still look right.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I would have needed that set so bad as a kid. Not just a plane, but an amphibious plane, plus bonus submarine and undersea base. I still have the undersea base from the first realistic divers theme around somewhere.

NickThorn
Jan 11, 2005

I'm fucking wild about KEYKEYs.
I got the Lepin Haunted House for $65 and it arrived this week. I have to say it is pretty accurate. The Stickers are a little faded when placed on the darker pieces like the record and the brown plates, but everything else was pretty solid. A small bag seemed to be missing as anything that clips (such as the bases for the iron working) was not in the bag. Nothing a bricklink order won't fix, though. Minifigures were pretty accurate except for the ghosts whose sheets were raised off the shoulders. Considering how much this set goes for now that it is OOP, I am extremely happy, even with the missing pieces.

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys

The_Doctor posted:

Well, I can't help but wonder if they contacted the designers and offered them money for the LDD files, since they're not going to be able to get them from Ideas directly.

I could definitely see Lepin hitting them up and saying 'look, your idea probably isn't going to get made, but here's some money for your LDD files', otherwise the bigger mystery is how they did get them.

I would be hilarious if Lepin ends up producing more Lego Ideas products than Lego... well, if the designers got some cash for it. Just ripping off people who have a neat idea is pretty low.

Jerk Burger fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 9, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jerk Burger posted:

I would be hilarious if Lepin ends up producing more Lego Ideas products than Lego... well, if the designers got some cash for it. Just ripping off people who have a neat idea is pretty low.

Their entire business is built around ripping off Lego, of course they're ripping off nobodies that uploaded some pictures to a website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

NickThorn posted:

I got the Lepin Haunted House for $65 and it arrived this week. I have to say it is pretty accurate. The Stickers are a little faded when placed on the darker pieces like the record and the brown plates, but everything else was pretty solid. A small bag seemed to be missing as anything that clips (such as the bases for the iron working) was not in the bag. Nothing a bricklink order won't fix, though. Minifigures were pretty accurate except for the ghosts whose sheets were raised off the shoulders. Considering how much this set goes for now that it is OOP, I am extremely happy, even with the missing pieces.

Could you make a list of missing/upgrades needed? I'd like to order it but have been waiting on reviews. Also, aren't the ghosts supposed to glow or something?