Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

EL BROMANCE posted:

He should've included a mask so you could be like Dan Bongino.

Here is half of the set I did over at Prospector Records. If you are in Portland definitely check it out.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-vol4-w-dj-pete-moss/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Edit:drat double post.

I also received some 90's picture discs from my in laws. They hauled them up in the car from California last week... then they sat in the car for a couple days here in Portland while they visited family... then they ended up with me... Jeremy, much like in the song, did not survive.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Samsquamsch posted:

Thanks for the links to Casiopea sources, guys. I'll keep an eye out.

Our covid cases are once again off the charts, we are literally doing the worst in the country in terms of community spread. There was a packed stadium event right before we achieved this prestigious position...a Garth Brooks concert.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/garth-brooks-cancels-stadium-tour-concerts-1235043959/

Alright which one of you is Garth

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

just listen to your Garth LPs in the safety of your own home smh

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sporklift posted:

Here is half of the set I did over at Prospector Records. If you are in Portland definitely check it out.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-vol4-w-dj-pete-moss/

At 2,700 miles away I would actually have to try pretty hard to be further away from Portland while remaining in the US, sadly.

(We do not count Hawaii.)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

What do graveyards and Garth Brooks concerts have in common? Sorry, that was in bad taste but then again, imagine dying for Garth.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds just announced Volume II of B-Sides & Rarities. Volume I had never previously been pressed.

https://store.nickcave.com/products/b-sides-rarities-part-i-ii

Full box set of 7 LPs is $250 including shipping.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

Edit:drat double post.

I also received some 90's picture discs from my in laws. They hauled them up in the car from California last week... then they sat in the car for a couple days here in Portland while they visited family... then they ended up with me... Jeremy, much like in the song, did not survive.

drat, sad. Question: do you think they would have survived sitting in the car a few years ago in Portland, or no?

Listening to your set RN, thank you so much! Great name for a DJ, great sets, keep posting!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
A few new arrivals

I gotta say despite Rufus' best efforts, the tracks where he plays the saxophone are far far better than the bagpipe tracks.

The Arthur Lyman has a regular pop in it but I can't see a deep scratch and the record is flat, it's not like there's a big rise to it or anything. I've got a spin clean coming in the mail, I need to clean all these used records.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Arcella posted:

A few new arrivals

Dolly? Nice!

I have a couple of album covers I'd love to frame, but obviously don't want to frame the actual sleeve itself. I'd prefer to just get a nice-quality print of them, but I've heard some folks say that print shops often refuse to make prints of copyrighted material. Anybody got any experience with this before I make a fool of myself in public?

There are a few others, but this is one of the main ones...pictures online don't do the colors justice. :3

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The first side of that Hiroshima “Another Place” album is so nice. It was a blind buy for me some months back just cuz I liked the album cover and I really dug the instrumentals. The more congenital pop songs on side B, eh, I can take or leave. But it was a good $3 pickup.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Read After Burning posted:

I have a couple of album covers I'd love to frame, but obviously don't want to frame the actual sleeve itself. I'd prefer to just get a nice-quality print of them, but I've heard some folks say that print shops often refuse to make prints of copyrighted material. Anybody got any experience with this before I make a fool of myself in public?

Funny enough, I’d considered doing this very recently. Check your PMs

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm not usually into coloured vinyl but this translucent red pressing of Colin James' eponymous debut album is absolutely lovely.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Enjoy the Ride Records which is primarily a soundtrack and reissue label was hyping this band which is the first band they've actually signed to their label in over a decade or something. The original announcement made it sound like everyone at the label was absolutely bowled over when they heard them and this is what made them decide to finally sign a band. This is it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp419zIiNKE

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Enjoy the Ride Records which is primarily a soundtrack and reissue label was hyping this band which is the first band they've actually signed to their label in over a decade or something. The original announcement made it sound like everyone at the label was absolutely bowled over when they heard them and this is what made them decide to finally sign a band. This is it:

I can’t hear the DJ in the mix

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

Yeah I wondered why the gently caress they were so overly hyped in promoting this band, besides the emails there was even a little coming soon card with a QR code included with the Cybertronic Spree record I'd ordered from them. The sole comment on that video really says it all:

quote:

The year is 2004 and you are trapped inside Hot Topic.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Yeah I wondered why the gently caress they were so overly hyped in promoting this band, besides the emails there was even a little coming soon card with a QR code included with the Cybertronic Spree record I'd ordered from them. The sole comment on that video really says it all:

This is equivalent to someone in 2004 pumping the tires of a band that sounds like Poison.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Are microfibre towels good for cleaning records? I've used some for other cleaning and it seems to leave lint. I guess there is quality differences?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Emetic Hustler posted:

Are microfibre towels good for cleaning records? I've used some for other cleaning and it seems to leave lint. I guess there is quality differences?

My experience is they leave lint in the grooves that get stuck on the needle.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

This is equivalent to someone in 2004 pumping the tires of a band that sounds like Poison.

This begs the question of how old an act has to be before it becomes nostalgia or retro cool again.

Also I got my poo poo from Japan the other day, feel free to laugh at my purchasing decisions. First the vinyl:

And the CD lot I had thrown in:

Made too much of an effort post about it elsewhere but the long and the short of it is I bought it for the Kuzo Yoshiro CDs and am gonna keep the first four in the lot and dump the rest on whoever wants it. Probably the record shop for a buck a piece at this rate. Oh, and the sound track to the arcade game Landing Gear is nice and chill and very 1995.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

This begs the question of how old an act has to be before it becomes nostalgia or retro cool again.

The new lorde leans on some early 90s pop sounds in parts. The last song has a section that sounds a little like Set Adrift on Memory Bliss which is pretty cool and works well.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

there's some definite 90s sounds coming back, I heard a track from soccer mommy some time back that was right in the spot between luscious jackson and ivy, same kind of drum production and everything

we've also been doing 80s nostalgia for like 20 solid years in one form or another

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

quote:

The year is 2004 and you are trapped inside Hot Topic.

Best one I've heard all day :-)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

hexwren posted:

there's some definite 90s sounds coming back, I heard a track from soccer mommy some time back that was right in the spot between luscious jackson and ivy, same kind of drum production and everything

we've also been doing 80s nostalgia for like 20 solid years in one form or another

Have we even entirely escaped the 90s yet? Jeez. They could give it a little longer, AFAIC.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Bring back the only music that holds up from the '90s: women-centric alt bands where the singer sounds incredibly bored.

(Dry Cleaning seems pretty coo)

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Turbinosamente posted:

And the CD lot I had thrown in:

Made too much of an effort post about it elsewhere but the long and the short of it is I bought it for the Kuzo Yoshiro CDs and am gonna keep the first four in the lot and dump the rest on whoever wants it. Probably the record shop for a buck a piece at this rate. Oh, and the sound track to the arcade game Landing Gear is nice and chill and very 1995.

Zuntata is Taito's house band and they made a lot of really good soundtracks that made attraction/demo screens a lot less aggravating than most cabinets of their time. They still make music, too. That SST album from 1988 probably has a few decent tracks on it, as well. What's the blank (upside down?) CD?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Listening back to it even removed from the flawless film itself, is Crank: High Voltage the last great Mike Patton thing? I'm not counting Dead Cross/Dillinger Escape Plan 'cause those weren't his (I love everything about the Bungle reunion though).

Sure as hell wasn't Nevermen. :v:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Emetic Hustler posted:

If you're not using the cloths for wet cleaning then I suggest a carbon fiber record brush instead.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Bloodplay it again posted:

Zuntata is Taito's house band and they made a lot of really good soundtracks that made attraction/demo screens a lot less aggravating than most cabinets of their time. They still make music, too. That SST album from 1988 probably has a few decent tracks on it, as well. What's the blank (upside down?) CD?

That is the two disc sound track to Cyber Troopers Virtual On Force and yeah the covers are missing, only the booklet is left. The SST album is missing the back cover, if there ever was one to begin with as well. That's medleys of early Genesis game music btw. I knew of and sorta liked Zuntata before but the Landing Gear/Side by Side soundtrack there put them up a few notches on my personal ranking. I pointed it out because usually I can't stand chill music or vaporwave-esque things but this one I really liked.

Thus far the personal rankings of 80s-90s game company music goes something like Konami Kukeiha Club, Capcom, Yuzo Koshiro, Zuntata, Sega. Not sure where to sandwich in Namco and Square yet.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don’t know if this is the original paper sleeve or not, but the spooky font is funny.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

drat, sad. Question: do you think they would have survived sitting in the car a few years ago in Portland, or no?

Listening to your set RN, thank you so much! Great name for a DJ, great sets, keep posting!

I mean, Portland has always had some hot days in the summer but nothing like this. So, no, you wouldn't have left records in the car back then either. My inlaws didn't know any better.

Thanks for the listen.

and now for some crazy poo poo. Trigger warning :audiophile: poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b2IOOhJmxw&t=1332s

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

I mean, Portland has always had some hot days in the summer but nothing like this. So, no, you wouldn't have left records in the car back then either. My inlaws didn't know any better.

Thanks for the listen.

It looks like a funeral home

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Thanks for the listen.

"I'm sure it's gonna sound fine. And if it doesn't I'm going to lie to myself and say it sounds as a good as anything I've ever heard."

This bit of self awareness is what really drives it over the top.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

CPL593H posted:

"I'm sure it's gonna sound fine. And if it doesn't I'm going to lie to myself and say it sounds as a good as anything I've ever heard."

This bit of self awareness is what really drives it over the top.

I'm torn between kind of admiring his casual/self-deprecating attitude toward it (Why do it? It's fun!) and :guillotine:.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

BigFactory posted:

I don’t know if this is the original paper sleeve or not, but the spooky font is funny.

The sleeve was originally made for Son of Schmilsson.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Just made my first purchase on Discogs...it begins!

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
Never heard of them myself but I'm in love with that album art! I'll give them a listen. Nice score.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I actually found them via a sample in a futurefunk song (Macross 82-99's "82.99 FM"), and instantly fell in love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIT_HDABvaM&t=82s
(Time stamped)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USqYl3clflI
(Actual song)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pappyland posted:

The sleeve was originally made for Son of Schmilsson.

Oh I didn’t even think of that! Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Read After Burning posted:

I actually found them via a sample in a futurefunk song (Macross 82-99's "82.99 FM"), and instantly fell in love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIT_HDABvaM&t=82s
(Time stamped)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USqYl3clflI
(Actual song)

Nice! I like that song I'll have to check out the album.