Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon24
Sep 9, 2004

joat mon posted:

What are you doing now? What would you be doing in the AGs office? What do you wish you could do?

Right now I represent insurance companies in insurance fraud work. In a nutshell my office investigates doctors who are engaging in fraudulent PIP billing and we sue them under the state's insurance fraud statute to recover the money. It's fairly interesting to me but I don't entirely enjoy the environment of private law practice (I'm no businessman - I don't want to seek out clients and I don't want to deal with billable hours). I also do all my office's arbitration work which basically involves struggling through kangaroo court proceedings without strangling everyone in the room.

I've worked for the AG's office in the past as a volunteer (before I got smart enough to not do work for free), so I have a few contacts that liked my work. I also found the people to be more pleasant on the whole than who I deal with on a regular basis. Ideally I'd continue doing fraud or arbitration related work, just in a more tolerable environment and probably for slightly better pay.

If I had to do all over again I'd have been in a STEM field instead of throwing my undergraduate away on a liberal arts degree. I've always been into computers and technology but really never developed it outside of a hobby. So at this point what I "wish I could do" would likely require going back to school and playing Russian Roulette with even more student loan debt. I'm not sure it's really an option.

Basically I went to law school on the dumbest of premises - that I could enter a profession where I could use advocacy skills to help people. Instead I work to get money for insurance companies, and my only contact with human beings outside my office are corporate types. It isn't where I pictured my life being. So, in the end I suppose I'll just join the chorus in this topic when I say don't go to law school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Falcon24 posted:

Right now I represent insurance companies in insurance fraud work. In a nutshell my office investigates doctors who are engaging in fraudulent PIP billing and we sue them under the state's insurance fraud statute to recover the money. It's fairly interesting to me but I don't entirely enjoy the environment of private law practice (I'm no businessman - I don't want to seek out clients and I don't want to deal with billable hours). I also do all my office's arbitration work which basically involves struggling through kangaroo court proceedings without strangling everyone in the room.

I've worked for the AG's office in the past as a volunteer (before I got smart enough to not do work for free), so I have a few contacts that liked my work. I also found the people to be more pleasant on the whole than who I deal with on a regular basis. Ideally I'd continue doing fraud or arbitration related work, just in a more tolerable environment and probably for slightly better pay.

If I had to do all over again I'd have been in a STEM field instead of throwing my undergraduate away on a liberal arts degree. I've always been into computers and technology but really never developed it outside of a hobby. So at this point what I "wish I could do" would likely require going back to school and playing Russian Roulette with even more student loan debt. I'm not sure it's really an option.

Basically I went to law school on the dumbest of premises - that I could enter a profession where I could use advocacy skills to help people. Instead I work to get money for insurance companies, and my only contact with human beings outside my office are corporate types. It isn't where I pictured my life being. So, in the end I suppose I'll just join the chorus in this topic when I say don't go to law school.

Legal aid sounds good for you. Clients find you; you help people. Dont worry about billables.

Con: no money, crazy clients, hard to convince a private firm to hire you (some of the time at least).

also, we get to experience the same joy a a public defender and be called "not real lawyers."

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Falcon24 posted:

Arbitration is a big part of labor law. Labor unions help people. See if you can work for a labor union or union-side labor law firm. Money is similar to government money, hours are similar to government hours, work feels good and is interesting.

Several in-house lawyers I worked with/for at the SEIU's international office last summer had worked at corporate firms doing non-labor-related law for a few years before coming there. And I bet you could make a particularly good case for working for a labor union with members in the medical field, like the SEIU. Knowledge of insurance/benefits law and things like the Affordable Care Act and ERISA is also very desirable in union-side labor law.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 4, 2014

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I went from representing insurance companies to (well, back to) the AG's office here, and it was a fantastic move. I like what I do now, and that is even more important than the whole lack of billable hours bonus.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

also, we get to experience the same joy a a public defender and be called "not real lawyers."

Or, the highest compliment, "as good as a real lawyer"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Falcon24 posted:

Firm
I don't entirely enjoy the environment of private law practice
I don't want to seek out clients
I don't want to deal with billable hours

AG
I also found the people be more pleasant on the whole than who I deal with on a regular basis.
a more tolerable environment and probably for slightly better pay.

Basically I went to law school on the dumbest of premises - that I could enter a profession where I could use advocacy skills to help people.
[that's not a dumb premise if that's what you're willing to do, knowing it doesn't pay that well]
I work to get money for insurance companies, and my only contact with human beings outside my office are corporate types.
It isn't where I pictured my life being.

What's stopping you from sending feelers out to your contacts at the AG's office?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Falcon24 posted:

Basically I went to law school on the dumbest of premises - that I could enter a profession where I could use advocacy skills to help people.

Law schools should require applicants to sign a waiver that they've read that. Admissions would drop zero % :(

[Now it's all about finding the most tolerable work environment, which may well be the AG. But it won't be what you hope, it will just be less bad]

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I find my desire to help people varies inversely based on the number of pro pers I see in a given day.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

woozle wuzzle posted:

Law schools should require applicants to sign a waiver that they've read that. Admissions would drop zero % :(

I feel like law school is 20% people trying to help others, 80% trying to get easy, guaranteed money with no mathematical ability or creativity.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

MoFauxHawk posted:

I feel like law school is 20% people trying to help others, 80% trying to get easy, guaranteed money with no mathematical ability or creativity.

That's a little unfair.

Some attorneys are pretty creative about getting easy money from their clients.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Labor unions help people.

:clegg:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Oh man I almost missed that chestnut, thanks HR

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
I mean, I guess I can understand why corporate attorneys who've voluntarily given up their right to have weekends wouldn't appreciate the organizations that are responsible for the modern concept of the weekend.

Falcon24
Sep 9, 2004
Thank you all for your advice! I've started putting out feelers to all my contacts. Hopefully I can make a smooth transition to something slightly more palatable.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
A legal assistant that sits outside of my office broke down yesterday and put in his notice. Now he's walking around with a big smile on his face. Still thinks he is going to go to law school though.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

MoFauxHawk posted:

...the organizations that are responsible for the modern concept of the weekend.

Last time I checked, Henry Ford was a person, not a union.

Get your union propaganda out of my unorganized thread.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HiddenReplaced posted:

Last time I checked, Henry Ford was a person, not a union.

What is this, Brave New World? Yeesh. Ford help us all.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
outsourcing all of your posts to Malaysia for pennies on the dollar itt

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

turns out the malaysian Phil Mousekewitz is also a virgin

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MoFauxHawk posted:

I mean, I guess I can understand why corporate attorneys who've voluntarily given up their right to have weekends wouldn't appreciate the organizations that are responsible for the modern concept of the weekend.

That's not true at all. We haven't given up our right to have a weekend. Weekends are the days when I work from home in my pajamas.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I like imagining how poorly lawyers would attempt to unionize. The amount of unemployed ones willing to be scabs would be incredible.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

One of my best friends has just decided that she wants to go to law school and that she's finally found a career she can be excited for. Oh my god. :(

I had this same exact attitude, growing up in a house with a family greatly experienced in law. Right up until my mom lost her job with the State Attorney's office, it was basically everything I had ever dreamed of- I wanted to help people and I enjoyed public speaking, and my grades were pretty good so it seemed like an amazing idea. Then my mom got laid off with literally three days notice and none of my family (including my uncle who was a district court judge) could even loving help her, a woman who had worked for the state for 25 years. She's been unemployed for like 3 years picking up as many cases as she can and teaching law courses at inner city public schools which, hilariously enough, are trying to encourage kids to go to law school. I'm a sophomore in college now and maybe I'll go to law school at some point after my bachelor's, maybe, but if the market stays like this loving forget about it.

She has like a 2.2 GPA. Maybe I'm bitter from my own experiences and the fact that I've been told from literally everyone how awful of an idea it is, and the fact that I see no reason to disagree. I just want to tell her how awful it is.

For reference, I live in Illinois, where 2,000 people pass the bar exam every year and a ridiculously small percentage of those people have jobs. It's horrible.

A cool damn horse fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 4, 2014

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A cool drat horse posted:

maybe I'll go to law school at some point after my bachelor's, maybe,

Why is this thought even in the darkest recesses of your mind after all you've seen :(

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

She has a 2.2? She'll fail the LSAT and the only schools she'll get into are TTT's or like Cooley, who'll take anyone so long as they're willing to take on $40k in loan debt every year. Make her look at the full-time paid employment on graduation numbers for the schools she thinks it's feasible to get into, then make her look at where she was in her undergraduate class (sounds like the bottom quartile), and think about the employment numbers for that group from the law schools she thinks she can get into.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GPAs go down to 2.2?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

I like imagining how poorly lawyers would attempt to unionize. The amount of unemployed ones willing to be scabs would be incredible.

I'm actually a unionized lawyer. We have a cba that gives us no right to strike. Basically, we're toothless. Oh, and you don't have to pay dues to get the benefits.

But we get to feel good when our benefits get trashed by management!

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Ainsley McTree posted:

Why is this thought even in the darkest recesses of your mind after all you've seen :(

Given how subtle this appears in the whole post, I'm beginning to think this is the law thread's version of the Bel-Air meme.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

She has like a 2.2 GPA.
Is your friend a talking horse?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

She has like a 2.2 GPA.

She will only get into a crap law school, and she will have a crap GPA within that crap law school. It's not like all of a sudden law school only tests wits and thinkin' skills. I was a bum in undergraduate and figured I'd get it together in law school. That doesn't happen, ever. Without good grades and a good school (neither of which she will have), she will not have a job. Period.

Her options are then start a solo practice, move to Mexico, or sell her body. My solo practice is doing awesome... but it takes life/business experience prior to law school, a business plan, and like a dozen things to fall magically into place. Plus I'm still prepared to sell my body on the off-ramp in case things go south.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, law school is harder than college for sure, but you can still slack like crazy and graduate while doing the minimum. It's once you get out that you can no longer do this and succeed, a reality for which law school does nothing to prepare you

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

It's funny because lawyers have one of the oldest existing unions... backed up by the power of the state and able to restrict people from the profession without a hefty $100K down payment.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

How would a lawyer union even work? The bosses would all be union members too.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Mattavist posted:

A lot of unions are made up of workers who work for other members of their professions. The higher-ups just aren't in the union, they're counted as management. But like the guy before you said, lawyers do have something like a union, it's just a guild. A guild is a variation of a union.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 5, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mattavist posted:

I'm a member of a union. My bosses are members of a different union. My bosses bosses are at-will.
I have 4 weeks and a couple days of vacation (goes to 6) which no one is shocked if I use. I leave near 5 every day (though I work at home if in trial). I have a pension. Once you get tenure, it is hard to fire you at a whim (though not impossible for incompetents).
It is loving great, you should all unionize.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

woozle wuzzle posted:

Her options are then start a solo practice, move to Mexico, or sell her body. My solo practice is doing awesome... but it takes life/business experience prior to law school, a business plan, and like a dozen things to fall magically into place. Plus I'm still prepared to sell my body on the off-ramp in case things go south.

After i took the bar, i did contract work for a ten year solo family law attorney. She also worked at Starbucks 3 nights a week to help pay her bills.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Today I met with a former partner at a famous Vault <15 law firm which is the undisputed #1 in its significant region. Former, because they are now doing other, presumably less renumerative things, and describe themselves as a "recovering lawyer" professionally. When I said I had been a "near miss," they chuckled darkly and said "you made the right choice - you get to skip the recovery!"

Don't go; even success assures you, at best, something you will need to "recover" from.

Petey fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 5, 2014

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Petey posted:

Today I met with a former partner at a famous Vault <15 law firm which is the undisputed #1 in its significant region. Former, because they are now doing other, presumably less renumerative things, and describe themselves as a "recovering lawyer" professionally. When I said I had been a "near miss," they chuckled darkly and said "you made the right choice - you get to skip the recovery!"

Don't go; even success assures you, at best, something you will need to "recover" from.

Sounds like he/she learned that success is internally defined, rather than dictated from external sources.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Petey posted:

...a famous Vault <15 law firm which is the undisputed #1 in its significant region.

You could have just said Kirkland & Ellis.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I feel so bad for that multi-mega-millionaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

I feel so bad for that multi-mega-millionaire.

The temptation is always there to try to hang on for just another year or two. As a junior associate, you want to make some progress on your student loans and build your resume to go in-house somewhere. As a mid/senior associate it's paying down your mortgage or saving for a college fund. As an income partner, you just want to secure enough to retire early and spend more time with your family. As an equity partner it's about making enough money so your children and grandchildren don't have to want for anything.

The speed of the treadmill increases so gradually that you don't even realize it's happening, but I imagine no matter what point you step off and come back to reality, it's a pretty big relief.